[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: tired pepe.png (137 KB, 306x306)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
Every academic job application makes me write an essay about how much I love DEI and makes me want to kms
>>
File: 1720927562600955.png (73 KB, 1496x1182)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>16293029
that's because you are a little bitch
>>
just submit a 100gb pdf of "nigger" repeating
>>
>>16293029
Whats your field? Noone signed up to be an acolyte in a priesthood and if your a historian you can easily see how your being set up. Im trying to find individuals with a nerve to do something about it. Begrudgingly writing these papers destroys scientific institution in long run
>>
>>16293029
literally just use AI
>>
>>16293029
>Dear HR person, I liek diverse people cuz I wanna learn new foods to appropriate. sincerely, anon.
>>
>>16293081
god damn
>>
>In closing, I believe that whether you're black, gay, a woman, or normal, you deserve an equal chance to make your way in society.
>>
>>16293029
>apply for grant so i can afford to finish my research and go to a conference this year
>have to include an entire section on how my research into nonthermal plasmas promotes racial diversity and raises awareness about the plight of women in the middle east or whatever
it's all so tiresome... i just want to stare at my glowy gas and geek out over probe sweeps.
>>
File: images (12) (19).jpg (19 KB, 530x336)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>16293057
>Homotechne
Homocorpus.

As in "Two became one flesh."

>A ghost and a shell.
A Spirit and a Vessel.
>>
File: images (13) (12).jpg (34 KB, 600x350)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
In the Garden, again...
>>
>>16293029
For low IQ tasks you usually use chatgpt
>>
>>16293095
Same problem in algebraic geometry.
>>
>>16293029
One of the few genuine use cases of AI right now is that chatbots are god-tier at shitting out useless HR boilerplate for you
>>
>>16293093
This is unironically not allowed anymore since equality is bigotry and now we need 'equity'
>>
This is exactly why the world has gone to shit. Look at how many FAGGOT ASS PUSSIES are in this thread right now, just telling you to ignore it and use a fuckin AI to copy and paste something. Every single one of you little cock sucking wastes of life need to get punched in the fucking eye
>>
>>16293096
i said do a flip faggot
>>
>>16294859
Stand up to that BA in social work with some edgy essay that you spent hours on. Enjoy not being employable.
>>
>>16293069
>Begrudgingly writing these papers destroys scientific institution in long run
The people writing these applications have no power in academia and can't be expected to be the ones to speak out. Keep your head down and let the tenured professors fight about it.
>>
File: 51PEcZVAHdL._AC_UY1000_.jpg (39 KB, 1036x1000)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>16295125
If they had no power
They wouldnt be required to write these
>>
>>16295125
They do have power. Being born into power and getting a BA in something useless gives you far more power than getting a STEM PhD from the best university in a place does.
>>
>>16295182
They are required to write them to filter out people like you. The demand for academic jobs far exceeds the supply, and for every person like you who will not write a diversity statement there are many more who will. A fair portion of applicants will even agree with the politics of it. That's why academic job applicants have no power to change it.

If you want to make a difference it is better to lie, get into academia, and change it once you have the power to do so.
>>
>>16294859
Fair point.
>>
File: science.png (131 KB, 440x960)
131 KB
131 KB PNG
>>16293029
Get away from that cult, is not the way to acquire knowledge. Instead wasting your time on nonsense learn something you can monetize.
>>
>>16296146
Academia is cushy though
>>
>>16293029
Don't pretend like you actually enjoyed all the extracurricular activities you were forced to pad your college applications with. The only reason you're more mad about a forced DEI statement than forced socialization is that the political media you consume tells you you should be.
>>
>>16296174
Idiotic statement.
>>
>>16296197
There's no better outcome than a post that unabashedly describes itself.
>>
>>16296200
>unironcially posting a "no u"
Kek.
>>
>>16296203
>unironically posting a "Kek"
>>
>>16296206
Yes.
>>
>>16296211
Your deference is noted.
>>
>>16293029
Stuff like this is why I'll always respect Jordan Peterson.
>>
>>16296222
How is it different than joining the Tuba Players for Meals on Wheels Club?
>>
>>16296228
what?
>>
File: science-pid-1536x1015.jpg (114 KB, 1380x912)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>16295216
>>16295216
No as said before
>Begrudgingly writing these papers destroys scientific institution in long run

>They are required to write them to filter out people like you
Exactly my point, your being set up, your not winning the hearts of the independents. You can try to change it from the inside if you wish (you wont) and when the pitch forks come youll be lumped in with the acolytes the same.

Again, lookong for anons who want to do something more than complain. Academia was supposed to be togas in debates not a yesman mill
>>
>>16296304
How is writing a forced DEI statement to get an academic job different than being forced to participate in a social club you don't like to get an acceptance letter?
>>
>>16296304
>>16296313
In both cases you've involuntarily volunteered to be part of a group you don't like for careerism. So careerism is built in. Then why do you think DEI is a singular evil that transcends the careerism you've already subscribed to?
>>
>>16296313
It's the difference between going to a family reunion and being forced to say 2+2=5.
>>
Also, you're not required to join clubs to become a professor. But you absolutely are required to worship at the altar of DEI.
>>
>>16296413
>going to a family reunion
There's a difference but it's not that. How is being forced to lie about 2+2=5 in order to get a job in academia worse than being forced to partipicate in any other group for social status in order to get accepted as a student?
>>
File: getin.jpg (64 KB, 862x646)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>16296449
>>
>>16296454
That's not an answer.
>>
>>16296307
There's no pitchforks coming. Your graph shows no decline in independent support in the last 20 years despite the rise of diversity statements. There's barely any dip in Republican support.

The problem is being worked out, and the DEI program is clearly declining from a peak around 2020, so there is no need for applicants with no power anyway to throw away their job prospects over it.
>>
>>16296421
Because one is a temporary inconvenience and the other is a form of thought police. You're also ignoring the fact that you don't need to join clubs to be an academic.
>>
>>16296582
>>16296421
Why is one a form of thought police but not the other?
Why is one a temporary inconvenience but not the other?
You do and will always need to join clubs to participate in academia. I'm simply pointing out that one of the most basic requirements to apply for an undergraduate degree is already more slavish and onerous that writing a DEI statement. I'm hardly a fan of DEI racism but no one can challenge the truth that writing a fellatory statement about it is much less annoying than the prerequisite to join a bunch of extracurricular social clubs.
>>
>>16296599
You don't have to join a club to get into college or get an academic job, so I don't know why you keep saying this. Also, you're ignoring the fact that people can join clubs that they like. If you don't like the Tuba Players for Meals on Wheels Club you can join anime club, or chess club, or do music. You're not forced to pretend to have an opinion you don't have by joining these clubs. They're not even close to being the same thing.
>>
>>16293029
apply at a different university or in a different state. or just get a regular job...
>>
>>16296756
You can't get into any real college without joining at least 2 or 3 clubs. The fact that you don't know this is already enough to tell me that your opinion about anything related to this topic is worthless. Moreover, you have no idea how to express your blind intuition that a DEI statement is somehow worse than any other form of forced socialization. You're a clown with no ideas. Go to bed.
>>
>>16296769
>You can't get into any real college without joining at least 2 or 3 clubs.
Not true.
>The fact that you don't know this is already enough to tell me that your opinion about anything related to this topic is worthless.
Actually, it looks like you're the one who blindly believes everything he's told.
>Moreover, you have no idea how to express your blind intuition that a DEI statement is somehow worse than any other form of forced socialization
It's actually very clear to everyone. It's demoralizing in a way your other examples aren't. You keep insisting they're the same, but no one believes you.
>You're a clown with no ideas. Go to bed.
Lmao.
>>
>>16296776
>Not true.
Then you'll have no problem naming any worthwhile university that doesn't ask for a list of extracurricular social clubs as part of the admission process.

>You keep insisting they're the same, but no one believes you.
I keep asking you to describe how they're different, but all you can do is flailingly appeal to a consensus that only exists in your own disheveled mind.
>>
>>16296796
>ask for a list of extracurricular social clubs
This is not the same as a requirement. You can get into any UC without having joined a club. Plus, as I mentioned, you can join clubs for things you like.
>>16296796
>I keep asking you to describe how they're different,
It is obvious how they are different. Above, I compared writing a DEI statement to being forced to say "2+2=5." The point is both force you to compromise your beliefs and say things that are the opposite of reality. Also, I mentioned that extracurricular activities are temporary, while, if you get an academic job (what the OP is about), you have to constantly pretend that DEI is a good thing. But the bigger point is an extracurricular is something you DO that MIGHT be a bit inconvenient, while OP's situation has to do with compromising BELIEFS.

Why are you pretending people don't choose which extracurriculars they partake in?
>>
>>16296811
>OP's situation has to do with compromising BELIEFS
Being forced to join any social club compromises your beliefs. I'm asking you to present an argument for why being forced to write a DEI statement is eschatologically worse than being forced to join any other club you don't like. My counterargument is that writing a single essay is less tedious than participating long enough to establish yourself as a member.
>get into any UC
I don't know what a UC is and don't care. Name one good school that doesn't ask for a list of extracurricular activities.
>Why are you pretending people don't choose which extracurriculars they partake in?
Why are you pretending people wouldn't rather not participate in none of the above? I'm asking why being forced to partake in an extracurricular activity is somehow less "compromising" or conformist than being forced to write a paragraph or two about some other conformist garbage,
>>
>>16296833
>Being forced to join any social club compromises your beliefs
You're not forced to do this. Stop lying.
>I don't know what a UC is and don't care. Name one good school that doesn't ask for a list of extracurricular activities.
You're too dumb to use google then.
>I'm asking why being forced to partake in an extracurricular activity is somehow less "compromising" or conformist than being forced to write a paragraph or two about some other conformist garbage,
I have already explained it, you're just refusing to understand.
>>
>>16296841
You can't even name a single viable university that doesn't ask for a list of extracurricular activities in their admission paperwork. You are a clown.
>>
>>16296844
>ask for
Again, this is not the same as a REQUIREMENT. And I already mentioned several.
>You are a clown.
*honk*
>>
And you never addressed my point that you can choose your extracurriculars. Just join anime club if other extracurriculars make you uneasy.
>but my school doesn't have an anime club
Even better, you start an anime club.
>>
>>16296485
Zooming out, trust across the board has halfed since closing of the gold window. and lets be honest, theswe are normie numbers, no one from 4ch gets polled.

Pitch forks in modern era will be increased disrespect, ideological radicalism, rogue experimenters, and the odd school bombing
>>
File: chart2-2-1024x765.png (202 KB, 1024x765)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
>>16296963
Zooming in last couple years

The age of nerd shaming and the independent gentleman scientist will return
>>
>>16296974
I cant even find 2023 2024 lmao
>>
>>16296458
Just get in and trust the soience.
>>
>>16293029
Make chat GPT do it
>>
>>16296449
One involves proclaiming allegience to a dogma and one doesn't.
Also, doing a bunch of dumb clubs HELPS you get into a college but it isn't required. On the other hand almost every position specifically requires you to write a diversity statement as part of your application. Go check out mathjobs if you don't believe me.
>>
>>16296851
Social clubs are absolutely a requirement for any good university. You haven't named a single exception, let alone several.
>>16296854
You can't choose none of the above. You can't choose to not participate in any. Being forced to continuously participate in a social gathering is far more obnoxious than writing a short, fictional statement about racist nonsense.
>>
>>16297589
One is a creative writing essay that takes what, half an hour max? The other is a perpetual acting assignment that drains weeks and weeks of your life. And yes, dumb clubs ARE a requirement.
>>
>>16297712
Dumb clubs may be a "requirement" in the sense that you might not be admitted to a top-tier university without them. I went to a mid-tier state school and barely did any clubs in high school except for some musicals. On the other hand nearly every job, even mid-tier ones, will require you to write an affirmation of faith.
You haven't addressed other anon's point that you're allowed to pick your club by the way. I'm not allowed to pick the topic of my diversity-is-our-strength essay
>>
>>16296307
There's no such thing as an independent voter. It's a meme that news pushes. You can plainly see data that shows the overwhelming majority of people vote straight party their entire life. The only difference is the number of people who show up to vote. I live in a communist hellhole state and I am a registered independent, along with the majority of other people, because you will get harassed if you register as a Republican. Magical things happen in California if you register as a Republican. Your life gets harder whenever you go into any government building. This doesn't happen when you're an independent, which is why 90% of Republicans register as independent.
>>
>>16297759
>Your life gets harder whenever you go into any government building.
How so?
>>
>>16297740
You're not allowed to NOT pick a club. You're forced to participate in an ongoing structured social event, driven by a socially-selected leadership, with coparticipants who aspire to be part of that leadership, and you're forced to endure all of the tiresome clubplace politics and cattiness that adhere to such structures.

That said, the reasoning is unassailable: every career forces you into the same workplace dynamic so filtering people who can't make that sacrifice ensures a higher quality of alumni, with respect to career placement and mobility. My only point is spending 30 minutes polishing a turd you don't like is a far less annoying filter that serves the same purpose. Count your blessings.
>>
>>16297705
>ou haven't named a single exception, let alone several.
I listed every UC. You're an idiot.
>>
>>16297887
>You're not allowed to NOT pick a club.
You can join science club. You don't even have to show up, just become a member.
>>
>>16297887
>every career forces you into the same workplace dynamic
Completely untrue. Work from home is more common then ever.
>>
>>16297887
>You're not allowed to NOT pick a club
Repeating a lie over and over and over doesn't make it true, anon.
>>
>>16297943
>>16297944
>>16297948
>>16297964
Take an hour or two to reflect on how this silly stream of collective consciousness only indicts itself.
>>
>>16293029
>Every academic job application makes me write an essay about how much I love DEI and makes me want to kms
Ask me how I know you're in a blue state.
>>
File: RollRoll6.png (296 KB, 574x400)
296 KB
296 KB PNG
>>16293029
>an essay about how much I love DEI

Write a long passionate letter supporting more female Chinese students!
>>
>>16298150
You know that's not the ask.
>>
File: Asian_Beauty.jpg (292 KB, 1027x1273)
292 KB
292 KB JPG
>>16298156

What you can support female Asian students?
Are you sexist and racist?
>>
>>16298161
I support a whole family of students and ex students. Writing a DEI statement is simply a test of your ability to sacrifice yourself to the employ of your employer. Don't let other people make you mad about it until you have the gravitas to choose for yourself.
>>
File: Asian_QT_4.webm (1.32 MB, 576x1024)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB WEBM
>>16298168
>Writing a DEI statement

I am strongly in support of increasing the number of minority females in Academia.
>>
>>16298176
Lol
>>
>>16298168
>Gravitas
Must be a faux humanities Ph.D.
I wonder if these people had the presence of mind to push back against the obviously subversive nature of DEI policies that goes against every single national priorities, or the academic morality of the institutions they claim to serve?
>>
>>16298210
>every single national priorities
As foretold, you can't help but indict yourself in every post. Good night and we'll catch up in 16.
>>
>>16298228
I haven't had a single occasion where these types actually address the points made. Do you think our deceptive enemies care how you are mindful enough about not 'indicting' yourself?
We're talking on a different wavelength here.
>>
Everything I see is dangerous
>>
>>16297759
Could you elaborate upon what gets harder?
>>
>>16297980
Take an hour or two to reflect on why you're a boring retarded incel who didn't think to just sign up to the math olympiad club, perform in all relevant local, national, international competitions, and call it a day.
Erm it's a heckin creative writing assignment thoughbeit!!!!
>>
>>16297705
>social clubs
No they aren't you fucking dolt, what kind of a retarded mongrelized dog are you? Your shithole school never had any olympiad or robotics clubs? Is that it?
>>
>>16297759
Still doesnt nullify the point that yall are stealing trust in science from the future to grift today by consenting to having it coopted by sociopolitical agendas
>>
File: Angryrevx.gif (833 KB, 299x235)
833 KB
833 KB GIF
>>16294883
>i said
I say*.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.