[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: statistics.png (752 KB, 5986x3700)
752 KB
752 KB PNG
Where do I practice statistics in regular life? I just completed my first statistics class, and it seems really useful, but it also seems pretty easy to forget.
>>
>>16293070
Trading, politics, marketing, big data analysis, sports, management, business, medicine, humanities....
Satistics are useful in almost any field of human activity, except probably art, where their use could arguably be counterproductive.
>>
>>16293070
if you have free time and you think your smart.

find a certain field or topic and try to formulate a set of statistical equations with multiple categorical options that can be useful.

for an example Raymer compiled many data to formulate statistical equations that can estimate weight/wing/power..etc of an aircraft based on categories.

This work proved useful for the next generation of aerospace engineers. so simple so elegant.
>>
>>16293070
study epidemiology or thermodynamics
>>
>>16293070
>Where do I practice statistics in regular life?
Study race and IQ stats, then see if real life observations accord with the science
>>
if you are a parasite you work for the elite at the BLS
if you are not evil you start day trading like building your volatility curve or finding patterns and retire early
>>
>>16293070
the exact equations are easy to forget, just focus on remembering the conceptual ideas behind it rather than the formula for calculating standard error on a confidence interval. You can always look up formulas on the internet, but you can't build conceptual intuition with a google search.
>>
>>16293070
Any stream of data: any traffic web cam, any stock, news feed, lunch menu or what is your REAL, FUNDAMENTAL problem?
Stat your bodily functions like any other autistic person.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.