[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

It's over for mathematicians. RIP
https://deepmind.google/discover/blog/ai-solves-imo-problems-at-silver-medal-level/
>>
>>16296095
>b-but it’s not ackshually intelligent!!
and yet it can do what 99.99999% of the population can’t. Some day you will all learn
>>
Yeah it's definitely over for high school students.
>>
>>16296101
People like you should have gotten lobotomy
>>
>>16296095
Solving IMO problems is just autistics grinding coming up with new mathematics takes creativity. Almost anything I feed A.I at the research level it shits the bed and still fucks up basic things.

Even if A.I. eventually catches up to modern level research mathematicians are still going to be involved for the foreseeable future because you have to have experts in each domain verify whatever it might come up with. Automated theorem proving being actually decent is also still a long way off.
>>
>>16296095
>tiger mom hacks SAT format
>castrated child scores 1140 instead of 1120
>profit?
>>
>>
File: 1721930114562535.jpg (189 KB, 1920x1080)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
>>16296244
>>
>>16296245
What do you mean? He's praising the program.
>>
You people arent taking this serious enough. I thought it would stagnate sooner, but it doesnt seem like it. Intelligence is becoming a depreciating commodity and 130 IQ autists will be completely useless
>>
>>16296246
>old man yells praise at a cloud
He's at that point in his life. He knows he can be replaced by anyone who read what he wrote when they were children. Pretense makes for a good pension but everyone knows he's talking out of his ass.
>>
>>16296253
Are you a troll or really just so stupid that you can't understand words?
>>
>>16296256
That's not a serious question.
>>
>>16296095
wake me up when AI solves goldbach conjecture
>>
>>16296263
AI essentially combs the trash and sewer of human speech. There is no possibility that any unsolved conjecture will be "proven" by a lucky computer.
>>
>>16296095
Huemans thought they were silver...

...they were Platinum and standing up.
>>
>>16296181
>AI will never be as smart as me!!!!

lol lmao

You people are being replaced even now and yet you still live in denial. AI is the future. Only retards think otherwise
>>
>>16296358
AI is nothing more or less than a toilet overflowing.
>>
>>16296358
You haven't seen nor conceived a logical AI. You're in love with a artificial-database called ChatGPT which is basically an ordered Wikipedia that accepts queries. ChatGPT is an advanced program, but is not artificial intelligence or self aware.
>>
>>16296358
Mmmmm yeahhhh replace me harder daddy
>>
File: kmsa.gif (1.68 MB, 460x460)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB GIF
>>16296095
The Chinese are going to steam roll the west because their AI doesn't have to deal with woke bullshit, nigger pandering, or try to hide jew crimes. Simple as.
>>
>>16296358
>>16296462
Why do you Eastern Asians worship AI? What is the cause of this unusual obsession?
>>
AI is a failure
>>
>>16296491
What's wrong with that? AI came up with a optimal solution, a better one that just the naive solution of a square with area 17.
>>
>>16296232
The AI proves its results in Lean
>>
>>16296362
You sound like a retard that has zero idea about deep learning. The flood is coming.
>>
>>16296497
Because it came up with an answer way less than 17. Obviously the square area must be at very least 17 units but the AI messed that up and came up with a nonsense number.
>>
>>16296362
ChatGPT is an LLM. The IMO program is reinforcement learning: Alpha Zero.
>>
>>16296491
Again, that's an LLM not Alpha Zero.
>>
>>16296504
No, I think the AI is right here and this is just sour grapes.
>>
File: IMG_4645.jpg (365 KB, 803x989)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
>>
>>16296095
From what I gather it works like AlphaGo, which was a very narrow, very compute intensive solution. Also iirc AlphaGo-type systems were found to have very weird holes in their "understanding" of the game. Like basic stuff about encirclement. I wonder if this system understands what a "circle" is.
>>
>>16296502
>The flood is coming.
Why should I care about a flood of internet shit when I can just close the tab?
>>
>>16296095
>>
>>16296606
>Martin reeees
I bet he does
>>
>>16296232
>creativity
>I ask for math principles to apply to trading strats and no one can/wants to answer
FUCK YOU MATH MONKEY, YOUR TIME HAS COME
>>
>>16296615
You didn't ask for anything. Learn to say what you mean or die from hot lava in your throat.
>>
>>16296251
This means we're getting better at things.
>>
Comparing the quality of discussion of this same topic on /sci/ versus on other math forums really shows you how bad this place has become
>>
>>16297134
its 4chan, retard
>my high-minded intellectual discussion with racism
>>
>>16297470
Not an excuse, retard.
>>
>>16297500
excuse for what?
being the thing it always was?
>>
>>16296490
They worship efficiency and performance.
I have absolutely no idea why people have this obession.
>>
>>16297470
>>16297507
/sci/ used to be a lot better before all the "Trust the Science" folks showed up.
>>
File: 65436.jpg (81 KB, 750x1000)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>16296095
Actually no, it's more a proof that IMO and euclidean geometry are pajeet tier mental math

Let me give a concrete example: Most IMOs have a problem that's about a functional equation where it asks to find functions which satisfy some equation. almost ALL of the solutions to such problems have one of the following in at least one step:

>find is f is injective, surjective, bijective
>find f(0) f(1) f(-x) or f^-1(x)
>find is f is even or odd
>find if f is linear, increasing, decreasing

see for yourself:
https://imomath.com/index.cgi?page=functionalEquationsProblemsWithSolutions

so right off the bat you can just check those and since it's designed to be solved in 2 hours or so, you know that these subproblems will be amenable if they are indeed true. from there you only have 1-3 more big steps to get the final proof. it's easily brute forceable if you have a supercomputer with days of compute time

Same thing applies even moreso to geometry. The alphageometry didn't even use AI except for turning the problem into a lean statement since euclidean geometry only has like 20 possibilities at each step. It's less complex than Chess

By contrast the combinatorics problems, even though they are easier for humans, had a massively larger search space than the geometry and algebra ones because combinatorial arguments generally require a "leap" somewhere in the middle. So it's less useful to brute force such a problem
>>
>>16296095
It's not over for mathematicians until human+AI is no better than AI alone.
>>
>>16296245
What an ancient memer you are
>>
Why do people now call neural networks "AI" and AI "AGI"? Smells fishy.
>>
People doubt the abilities of the brain to this day
It does wonderous things with little power, the next leap is whomever breaks the bandwith barrier between machine and man
The internet sped things up, but if people *become* the internet it will go much faster
>>
>>16298225
No, It's mathjoever.
>>
>>16297591
>"People"
Found your problem.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.