[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Disclaimer: I'm no engineer. I only have very basic knowledge of HS physics and dropped out of college very early...
I read about freeze desalination a while ago and I don't get why this isn't done at scale by transporting seawater to reservoirs in the mountains, storing it until winter and then freezing it at ambient temperature. Plus they could use excess solar energy during summer to transport it and then recover it during winter as hydroelectric power. And sell the salt, magnesium, lithium, ... byproducts.
Is this idea too retarded? How complex would something like this be?
>>
>>16298389
at a guess the cost of transporting sea water to the mountains would be prohibitive to begin with. may as well spend the fuel cost on heating the water directly.
>>
>>16298389
you sure do seem to like talking about yourself on social media
>>
>>16298414
Well, that's why I said excess solar energy. Could work in certains regions where you have both mountains neat coasts like california in the US and the west coast in south america, where you find all you need: seawater, sunny places during summer and freezing cold temperatures in the mountains during winter.

>may as well spend the fuel cost on heating the water directly.
Reverse osmosis is cheaper and less energy intensirve than freeze desalination, and that uses a lot less energy than evaporation in terms of energy/electricity, but I guess boiling the water could still work...

>>16298416
?? WDYM?
>>
>>16298432
>that's why I said excess solar energy
there is basically no such thing. and you're sure as fuck not using it to transport tons of water.
>>
File: OIG2.9.jpg (188 KB, 1024x1024)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>16298432
>Well, that's why I said excess solar energy.
yes, you could use the excess energy produced during off-peak hours to pump water to colder regions.
It'd be energy better spent than mining bitcoin, no doubt.

There's also the idea of using bulk cargo ships to load up with snow, or ice blocks, in the higher latitudes, and carry it southwards, delivering it as fresh water.
That might be even more efficient since, ya know, we do that with lots of bulk cargo already.
>>
>>16298467
Ok faggots, I calculated it for you.
A 100MW solar PV plant can produce 200GWh of electrical energy per year and requires 500 acres.

Let's assume we need to get 1 million m3 of water to a mountain of height = 4km.
h = 4000 [m]
v = 1000000 [m3] = 1000000*1000.0 [litres of water = [kg-f]
1 kg-f = 9.8N
E = v * h * 9.8/1 = 39.2*10^12

So, we'd need approximately 40 TWh of energy.

40TWh/200GWh = 200
Two hundred 100MW PV plants = 500*200 = 100k acres = 156 square miles.

I didn't consider energy lost due to drag in pipelines and whatever else, but this seems doable to me? Google says "California generated 68,816 gigawatt-hours (GWh) of electricity from solar power in 2023"
Considering that you could get like 80% of that energy back as hydroelectric power during winter... Could be useful.
>>
File: 1719618205960915.jpg (32 KB, 350x232)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>16298389
>transporting seawater to reservoirs
https://youtu.be/5jPf9be5d7M

Truly, there is nothing new under the Sun.
>>
Why not just pull a vacuum and boil it at room temp? Prob doesn't even need to be that good of a vacuum.
>>
>>16298389
Too expensive which anyone who isn't blindingly retarded should immediately notice.

>>16298526
Here's a calculation for you, tap water costs about 2 buck per cubic meter, so you would have to get all of that power for less than 2 million dollars + that's just the consumer price, your production price would have to be more like 0.2 freedom marsk per cubic meter to be competitive with municipal water sources before delivery and processing and that has to include the maintenance for all the massive infrastructure you would need.

I don't understand how sci fi retards survive to even breathe when they are this delusional.
>>
>>16298565
Are you retarded m8? You think fresh water supply is assured? Do you understand the point of water desalination, you retard? Do you know why would it be convenient to store eergy during summer and use it during winter?
Also, energy from PV farms costs like $30/MWh on average. That's $30 million per TWh, not too far from 2 million dollars, not really far from the price you gave, and that's not considering the fact that more than half of that energy can be recovered and sold during winter, when energy becomes more expensive (because of higher demand). AND you would also have fresh water during summer...
>>
>>16298432
You'd be better off using that excess solar energy to desalinate water
>>
>>16298585
>not far off
>making water cost at least 100x if not 1000x is good
???
>>
>>16298389
You might be interested in these
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingshot_(water_vapor_distillation_system)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor-compression_evaporation
>>
>>16298590
>use the excess energy to move saltwater to freeze it later
>when thero is so much electrical energy from solar farms that spot energy prices might even become negative
Think about it. You don't need to fill the while reservoit or use all the energy, you use the energy when convenient, and use the (stored or desalinated) water when you really need it...
>>
>>16298594
Please stop shitposting
>>
>>16298389
Desalination is literally only used by Israel because the Jews cannot sustain themselves naturally

We are devoting resources to this so that the pedophiles in Tel Aviv aren't momentarily uncomfortable with less drinking water
>>
>>16298673
It's used in Australia too.
>>
>>16298389
>Just pump endless amounts of heavy ass water from sea level to the top of a mountain....that'll be an easy and low energy project.
We got a literal retard here folks. RETARD ALERT!

FWIW, a passive solar greenhouse at sea level next to the ocean is the most effective low energy way to desalinate sea water. You pump or allow salt water to flow into a large clear dome of some sort. The water is allowed to pool and as sun hits it and heats the greenhouse dome water evaporates and recondenses as pure H20 on the walls of the greenhouse where it drips down and is collected as pure man made rain. Please note you can use deep underground pipes to pump air through a heat exchanger aka "geo-thermal cooling". With minimal fans warm air can be pumped into pipes underground to capture the Earth's natural temperature of 55-60F. With this low cost cooling device we can speed up the process of condensation inside the dome.

Please note this is all super basic tech and forms of it have been practiced for thousands of years by humans. I claim credit for the current modern idea but must admit I didn't invent any of the science. Far from it actually. It's an atmospheric water generator powered by unlimited in flows of water from the ocean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_well_(condenser)
>>
File: nope.jpg (64 KB, 576x500)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>16298526
>>
>>16298805
>a passive solar greenhouse at sea level next to the ocean is the most effective low energy way to desalinate sea water. You pump or allow salt water to flow into a large clear dome of some sort. The water is allowed to pool and as sun hits it and heats the greenhouse dome water evaporates and recondenses as pure H20 on the walls of the greenhouse where it drips down and is collected as pure man made rain
To produce what, a few liters of water?
Do you even know how much heat is needed to evaporate water compared to freezing it or passing it through a reverse osmosis device?

>>16298812
Elaborate or shut the fuck up, faggot

>/sci/ - """Science & Math"""
>>
>>16298389
Brother its easier to just ferry icebergs to the UAE
>>
>>16298594
Or you could use the excess energy to run a desalinization plant

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.