[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: r9aDL.jpg (98 KB, 950x697)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
Schopenhauer edition

Previous Thread: >>16298920

This thread exists to ask questions regarding careers associated to STEM.
>Discussion on academia-based career progression
>Discussion on penetrating industry from academia
>Or anything in relation to STEM employment or development within STEM academia!

Resources for protecting yourself from academic marxists:
>https://www.thefire.org/ (US)
>https://www.jccf.ca/ (Canada)

Information resource:
>https://sciencecareergeneral.neocities.org/
>*The Chad author is seeking additional input to diversify the content into containing all STEM fields. Said author regularly views these /scg/ threads.

No anons have answered your question? Perhaps try posting it here:
>https://academia.stackexchange.com/

An archive of some of the previous editions of /scg/:
>https://warosu.org/sci/thread/15740454
>>
>>16315927
The average unemployment time BEFORE the silent recession was ~6 months. Lord knows what it is know, especially since even people with a decade of experience have been unemployed for months now.
>>
I will become a quant, I have an abundance mindset and a heart full of hope.
>>
Why the fuck did I get a math phd? How do I undo the damage? I'm 3 years out and still no job.
>>
>>16316839
bullshit. I know a friend who has a masters in math, not even a phd, and he got a job immediately after graduating
>>
File: 6gjt9xca9ey51.png (425 KB, 1455x1200)
425 KB
425 KB PNG
I just want to say that I think it's really cool that so many of us have fulfilled our childhood dreams and are actual scientists working in laboratories
>>
>>16317029
Wholesome thanks anon indeed grats
>>
>>16317029
My only objective was to get as much money as possible so that I could buy a wife (I failed)
>>
>>16317029
It's not that cool finding out that your dreams weren't worth it
>>
>>16317029
There's no money in being a labmonkey though. Why?
>>
I wish I had had the conviction to follow my interests and the self knowledge to know what those were before I set down this path.
>>
>>16317001
Depends on your location I guess.
>>
What determines who a person is at the end of their career?
their degree or their job?
does a PhD define you or does your deadend IT job that you get afterwards define you?
>>
>>16317572
I hope it's the relationships and people I helped that will define me. At the moment it's my messed up childhood that's doing the defining.
>>
>>16317607
You picked something random that I didn't mention so your answer is off topic
>>
>>16316200
Schopenhauer said it, I believe it, that settles it
>>
>>16317572
This world only cares about the results. Nothing else. Therefore, the job determines what a person is at the end of their career but only as a means of determining the income or prestige of said person.
>>
Why is everyone doomposting?
>>
>>16317947
so even if you don't have any formal education in IT and you have a PhD in organic chemistry with mass spectrometry research, if you have an IT job as a salesforce configurator or something, are you a hardcore IT guy?
>>
>>16317947
What if I am chronically unemployed?
>>
Is "technical physics" a meme? There's a module with that name at school I go to and it looks interesting, but I am worried about it turning out to be some weird amalgamation.
>>
>>16317756
Your question was ill-posed. Now apologise to me and never respond to me again.
>>
>>16318313
always get a tried and tested degree, don't fall for new age bullshit.
90% of new age degrees fail and get scrapped.
>>
>>16317998
Yes.
>>
>>16316200
Crazy how we just let jews run all our institutions now
>>
>>16318714
*ruin
it's basically economic darwinism except it's intentional which makes it genocide.
Blame demonocracy.
>>
>>16317998
Yes. I've legitimately seen this happen in my personal life before and people do not give a single fuck if you majored in some hyper-specific intensely intellectual field when you work and live in poverty.
>>
>>16318944
>>16318650
what if you Phd'd in organic chemistry and worked 3 years at the R&D department of a big oil derivatives company as a scientist and then get laid off because of a recession which forces you into a safeforce config job for 2 years,
are you a hardcore IT guy or are you a big shot chem scientist?
>>
>>16317029
i worked in labs as a postdoc, until my field imploded, leaving most without any viable research careers.

>>16317062
Didn't get a wife either, was way too poor. Come to think of it, most if my fellow postdocs remained single.

>>16317219
True, but it was fun while it lasted. If basic pay had existed then, I might have stayed on.

>>16317572
>their degree or their job?
Neither, it is what you achieved, and that is achieved beyond getting that degree and beyond getting that job.
>>
>>16318949
Yes. If you don't do and continue to do organic chemistry work then you can't be called a chemist.
>>
>>16319271
>leaving most without any viable research careers
R&D isn't really that valued anymore by big companies. They are more concerned with increasing their market share. R&D is more for the small companies which then get bought out by their larger counterparts.
>>
>>16318949
How did you get a job in petrochemicals when most organic chemists go for big pharma?
Did you attend conferences and/or do graduate summer internships?
>>
File: officespace.jpg (80 KB, 800x451)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
I have a math bachelors from a decent school (top 40 US). I have a CS minor.

I have been teaching high school math. It's fine, but the kids are retarded and it's time to GTFO.

I want a job in software or data science. I understand the market has collapsed.

Do I need to get an MS in computer science or data science to be employable? What should my move be?

Or is there another field I should target? Maybe a second bachelor's in EE, as disgraceful as it seems to have to start over?
>>
>>16317955
80% of the people posting in career general threads are unemployed
>>16319434
Do not do a second bachelors. If you're really drawn to EE do MS research in math/CS with strong EE applications. These shouldn't be hard to find because nobody who studies EE wants to do DS.
>>
>starting my PhD program in two weeks
What should I do or keep in mind for my first year? It seems to me like an extension of undergrad because I have tot take classes.
Grades are going to be less important but what should the minimum be?
>>
>>16319437
I am not even that interested in EE, I'm just thinking there might be more job opportunities with a Masters in EE.

I understand you are saying do a MS in CS/applied with focus on EE applications. Could it also be feasible to do a MS in EE (I have found some programs that let in math majors)? My only concern is that having an MS in EE but not an ABET accredited BS in EE would be a bad look and prevent me from getting a PE if necessary.
>>
>>16319442
What's stopping you from getting an ABET?
>>
>>16319443
In my state, you need to have an ABET engineering undergrad to qualify to take the FE and PE in 4 years. With a math undergrad and Eng MS it would take me 12 years.

So I would have to get a second bachelors it seems to get a PE within 4 years. Either that or do some weird shit where I get a PE in a state like CA where they’d let me do it in 3 years with an Eng MS and unrelated undergrad and then transfer it to my state somehow.
>>
>>16316200
reminder to divest in Israel throughout your career or else you're supporting genocide in academia
>>
>>16319437
I'm employed I just make so little money that it feels like there's no difference to being unemployed.
>>
>>16319442
You can't just waltz into an MSEE program. You're missing literally all of the prerequisites. Literally years of undergrad work that is considered essential to the field of EE. They don't give a shit about your math degree. You aren't going to impress engineering PhDs with your math bachelors.
>>
>day 224 of unemployment
What did I do to deserve this? Oh, right, the math phd.
>>
I should have done a second BSc in computer science back when I still had a chance. Instead I went full retard in math. Now I have to decide between school teacher and bus driver. Both require about 1 year of additional education. Doing a second BSc can be a good idea, if you don't have any MSc or, god forbids, a PhD. I am currently enrolled in a post-doctoral BA programme in secondary education. I want to enjoy teaching but I am just too depressed and tired all the time.
>>
Realistically what kind of M.Sc. can I do for career change away from academia? I am considering a MSc in Data Science, but the combination PhD Math + MSc Data Science feels kind of redundant. Is there any good, specific online programmes for PhD holders? I know that in Sweden there are at least two: (i) BA Secondary Education programme for PhDs and (ii) MA Higher Education for university teachers with 3 years of experience. I am enrolled in both programmes.
>>
>>16319686
>>16319442
There are online EE programmes with "open path" admissions. You might consider something like CU Boulder MSEE on Coursera. I have taken the first algo course by the Indian professor and it actually not that bad. Very good assignments and lectures. I would say that the rigor is comparable with B&M schools. I think staying at your job and perusing an online degree might work out best for you. Otherwise, maybe you could get a master's in education.
>>
>>16319809
>programmes
>>
>>16318552
This. Get the most boring degree possible.
>>
How do I spin my failure to progress in academia to industry employers?
>>
>>16318313
Which school? I know that in Norway there is "Teknisk fysikk" which is Applied Physics.
>>
>>16320121
>After my PhD, I was passionate to work on this amazing project to get into a field Y and that helped me to transition into X industry
>I never wanted to stay in academia, just this one opportunity that aligned with my long terms plans
Just lie
>>
>>16320121
always be smug
>>
>>16319434
Data 'tard here. Can't speak much to software eng jobs but with how bad the DS job market is right now you basically need an MS to even be considered, especially if you have no prior experience in a data role. With your math BS and CS minor however I think you'd have a decent chance of getting your foot in the door as a data analyst. It would still be very difficult with the state of the market, expect to apply to hundreds of openings and keep your expectations low. If you do decide to go the MS route, avoid a data science degree if you can. CS or Stats not only give you a better education but are looked upon more favorably by employers. Too many schools have thrown together shitty DS master's programs to try to cash in on the AI hype and have given them a bad rep, not to mention that even a good program suffers from "jack of all trades, master of none" syndrome. If you are really set on data science, I'd go with stats as having strong statistical knowledge is far more rare than candidates with strong CS skills and could make you more employable (and it's much easier to learn CS skills on the job than statistical theory). But on the flip side the CS master's would make it easier for you to go with software eng roles or more computational data science roles such as machine learning engineers. So if you pick the CS route make sure the program has the option to take several machine learning courses. Hope that helps, cheers.
>>
How the fuck do I study in the US as a grad student from a first-world country without being some sort of jeet or transabled BIPOC? Apparently you need to finance it via a scholarship, but
https://educationusa.state.gov/find-financial-aid
doesn't show any options available for my country (Switzerland).
>>
>>16320336
A scholarship for a Masters would be hard to come by. Are you willing to do a PhD? At least with that, the school that accepts you can sponsor you.
>>
>>16320336
Why the FUCK would you study in the US when you are from Europe you fucking moron? Just feel like blowing six figures?
>>
>>16320336
There are no options if you are a white man
>>
>>16320336
if you're from Switzerland you are richer than Americans
>>
I am currently doing a PhD in biomedical engineering, but I am thinking about quitting. Somehow I got tricked into working two research assistant positions for the pay of one, and the research at both is boring but stressful. The job market is of course terrible, and even if I do find a job after graduation I do not want to be stuck as a code/data monkey for the rest of my life (I mostly do computational work). It also seems like it will take forever to get to a respectable salary in industry ($150k+ in a MCOL area), especially if I have to do a 2+ year postdoc just to be competitive.

So, I have been considering quitting with the master's-in-passing and pursuing a better career route. Veterinary medicine seems like a strong option, with the ability to make $150k+ right out of school as a general practitioner or $200k+ as an ER doc. It does not require becoming a slave in residency for 4+ years afterwards, unlike medical school, and the job market is currently amazing with the ability to work pretty much anywhere in the country. The only downside is school debt, but that seems worth it long-term.

Is there a reason I should not just say bon voyage to my exploitative PIs and pursue this?
>>
>>16320426
anon...
>>
>>16320488
Are you sure you can get a job in the present financial situation, and that if you get it that you will keep it? Doing a PhD is better than having a hole in your CV.
>>
>>16320568
PhDs pay the equivalent of like $15/hour. It's not hard to find something that pays at least as well as that.
>>
>>16320658
Have you actually tried
>>
I can’t seem to find an entry level data analyst job with my b.s. in math. I really need to make more money soon. Is there some other career I can get easily employed in? I’ve been underemployed for about 2 years and I feel like my brain is rotting. I wish I did a phd, since at least I’d be using brain.
>>
>>16320953
I have a phd in math and my brain is fried from worrying about jobs. Re: data analyst jobs, I cannot get these types of roles either. I suggest teaching if you can stand dealing with kids. Alternatively, get a second BSc in computer science or EE.
>>
>>16316200
I don't like any of the professors in the engineering department.
I always have a great time in the physics department. Is a BS in physics really that bad career wise?
I just want a job, any job.
>>
>>16320961
I worry about getting a job everyday and it really is taking a toll. It’s really crazy how it can consume you.

I work a low paying education job and I can’t stand how many students just don’t care. It feels like all of my intelligence and enthusiasm is being wasted. The second degree idea is a good one, but I think I’m suffering from a bit of a sunk cost fallacy type of situation.
>>
>>16320971
>how many students just don’t care
That doesn't bother me to be honest. I am more bothered by rude and nasty students.
>>
>>16320971
>I work a low paying education job and I can’t stand how many students just don’t care. It feels like all of my intelligence and enthusiasm is being wasted.
You could always start a cope youtube channel where you use your genius intellect to solve the wonders of the universe and talk to your fans about how smart you all are and how those evil kids are very, very dumb. You could even make an accompanying subreddit. I'm thinking about your header now, maybe like a cartoon drawing of you adjusting your glasses with one hand, while the other hand shoots lightning out of your finger tips.
>>
>>16316200
why is rust fun but hard
>>
>>16320658
>It's not hard to find something that pays at least as well as that.
I would not bet on that. The job market is dire, far worse than any politician will admit, especially as this is a big election year.
>>
File: 1613049244616.jpg (62 KB, 976x850)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
What options do I have as an EEt student with subpar grades? I’m starting fourth year this semester so I have some time to improve my grades. Should I just take a technical course after graduation? For example, I’ve been looking at solar installation courses. I don’t even know what I would do in the EEt field in the rare case that I can even find a job. Any advice bros?
>>
>>16321280
I knew saying that I possessed any intelligence at all would be misconstrued and trigger someone.
>>
>>16319441
Recent PhD grad here, your program should have a minimum average GPA requirement- just make sure you're above that and you're good.
Number one thing I wish I had done at the start was spend a lot of time thinking about my research direction in the context of breaking out into industry. I got pigeonholed by my advisor into some absolutely dumb bullshit and it's biting my ass hard now that I'm out.
>>
>>16321518
I'm not triggered I'm just mocking your existence.
>>
>>16321493
Yeah after you graduate you start applying for jobs. I'm not saying there are any but that's the idea at least.
>>
Not admitting me to Cambridge is a crime this country will never be able to make amends for.
>>
File: 5cientist.png (779 KB, 1488x420)
779 KB
779 KB PNG
>>16317777
>>
>>16321717
The protagonists are
>>
>>16321644
“mocking your existence” -
Are you sure you’re not the one that should be starting a YouTube channel?
>>
>>16321760
I'm doing fine. You're the one in here gnashing your teeth.
>>
>>16321650
With my grades, I’m not very confident about working in the industry. What do you think about the certification idea? Also what do you do?
>>
>>16321803
You’re right. Your initial response was retarded and not worth a reply.
>>
>>16321822
I'm an electrical engineer (also there are people with EET degrees in my team just so you know, including our principle engineer.)
I don't think you need a cert to get a job. The reason you did the degree was to get a job.
If your grades are really bad then just don't put your GPA on your resume. In my experience, 70% of interviewers won't even ask about it. 30% will ask but not really care what it was. I had a horrible GPA and still got a lot of offers at big companies. Just graduate dude. Do whatever you need to do to graduate and figure the rest out later.
>>
>>16321717
If you're looking at Cambridge for an academic career, it really ain't all that. Has some good labs and a lot of shit ones. Cambridge is only good for undergrad (debatable), leaving academia into a nepo/networking job and getting a readership or chair once you're already successful.
>>
>>16319434
>Do I need to get an MS in computer science or data science to be employable?
Basically, yes, you need something. A BS in math isn't going to cut it. Software interviews are difficult to pass even for people with CS degree.
What should my move be?
You could try to find a less competitive area of swe like QA or data engineering, and then try to move laterally into a fulltime swe position after a few years. This is probably the quickest route to money if you can swing it.
>Or is there another field I should target?
Yeah, data science or actuarial science are better fields to target for someone with a math degree.
>Maybe a second bachelor's in EE, as disgraceful as it seems to have to start over?
Only if you really want to do EE. One bonus for taking this route is you get to hang around slutty freshman girls again. They probably won't be in your EE classes but maybe you can take some strategically chosen electives.
>>
>>16320965
answer me fiends
>>
>>16320965
>>16322102
It's good for a job in physics if you want to go the whole phd and plus route. Otherwise is less directly applicable to jobs than engineering and you need ego/confidence to find something. Connections help too. Some of the people I did physics with now do engineering consulting, management consulting, finance or datasci. More have ended up as programmers. You can also go from Bs physics to a medical physics masters. That will get you into being a rad technician or imaging tech. It's good money, in demand, you're just not actually a (medical) doctor and not paid like one. You work with and run the radiation treatment or get the mri/cat images for the actual medics to interpret.
>>
Being a vibration analyst is the closest thing to being a wizard I’ve ever experienced.
>>
File: 1722499184283352.jpg (25 KB, 399x400)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>16316200
>be me
>PhD in Philosophy: Geology
>career is working at a pyramid scheme company and teaching children with special needs

anyone else have a STEM PhD and doing bad? What career prospects do I have? I don't know any programming languages, but I can technically pass as LGTBQ so maybe I can be a DEI hire somewhere?
>>
File: liz dying.png (26 KB, 278x255)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
How do I complete my literature review before Tuesday night of next week?
Requirements
>20 pages
>12 font, double-spaced
Current Status
>3 pages
>research complete
>organized my notes based on the professor's personal recommendations
My current idea (tried and true for a section of my previous unrelated assignment) is to type anything and everything off the top of my head using my base research as a jump-off point and then go back and prove/cite it all.
>>
>>16322864
should also elaborate on
>organized my notes based on the professor's personal recommendations
that he personally crafted my literature review layout with me
>>
>>16322526
>anyone else have a STEM PhD and doing bad?
Yes
>but I can technically pass as LGTBQ
lamo
>>
>>16322010
Outside of foreigners the majority of the professors in my field started at Cambridge. This country is a massive Ponzi scheme.
>>
I dropped out of a phd program from a top 5 engineering uni in the USA almost 2.5 years ago to pursue a job in crypto and am now a multimillionaire. Mindset is everything anons, most STEM people are hopeless and I think the smartest people are to be found online. Not working much these days and just enjoying my spoils
>>
>>16322971
I honestly hope you drop dead
>>
>>16322952
It's like the elite boarding schools, going to them doesn't really make you any better, but if you go there you're more likely to be from the kind of background that encourages success at every stage of your life.

Most of the professors today are rather old, and the system they built their careers in is quite significantly changed today.

Anyway if it makes you feel any better my academic career was basically killed by picking the wrong group at Cambridge. Undergrad at least felt like it was a top institution even if some of the actual pedagogical choices were a bit baffling, but postgrad was just a dumpster fire. The only value out of it is the name in my CV, and I would much rather have the skills I went there to get but largely left without.
>>
>>16322864
20 pages? You can do that in a day. Just review the literature.
Search for your research topic or related topics, see what published work (or arxiv work) is out there. Describe it, cite it, critique it. Show that your plan builds on current research, investigates a gap or unknown and is novel.
>crafted the layout for you
Then write that???
>>
>>16323085
At least you got a name, I got neither.
>>
>>16323024
I find baseless disdain for crypto and finance amongst /sci/ types to be a marker of low IQ and neuroticism. My life is great, hope things get better for you.
>>
>>16323167
>crypto
It isn't 2021 anymore. In 5 years, normies won't even remember what it is. Same with AI in 10 years. However, on the other hand, they will need math teachers in 100 years. In particular, special education math teacher is going to be a literal goldmine.
>>
>>16323192
I think you’re wrong. People have been trying to make trustless digital SOV since the 1980s. Bitcoin is 15 years old, worth over $1T, and has a hashrate near ATH. It’s being adopted by governments and large financial institution. Why would special ed be a gold mine?
>>
>>16323167
I'm using all the crystals and other vaguely magical or energetic objects in my house in order to have really negative thoughts about you and will continue to do so for some time.
>>
>>16322526
>I don't know any programming languages,
I have no idea how that is possible for someone with a STEM PhD, but I can assure you that learning computer languages should be trivial for you.
With a background in Geology you could try the oil and gas industry.
>>
>>16322971
>most STEM people are hopeless
W-what?
>and I think the smartest people are to be found online.
Yesssss! That's us in /scg/ !
>Not working much these days and just enjoying my spoils
Doesn't that get boring? After years as a postdoc I am fine with a spartan lifestyle and now that I have earned quite a bit, I could retire tomorrow if I wanted. So doesn't that get boring quickly?
>>
How are you supposed to apply to graduate school if you've been out of college for several years and none of your former professors would even know who you are? How are you supposed to get "letters of recommendation?"
>>
File: inb4.png (1.28 MB, 655x821)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB PNG
I managed to pass the screening for a government phd scholarship to japan, and have already gotten into contact with a bunch of professors in my field (plasma combustion and propulsion) at different universities, but I fucked up by messaging too many, and now that the deadline is coming up, I have to start considering which of them to turn down since I was supposed to only get two max. So, to people who've moved for higher studies/work opportunities, I have to ask
>how important is the quality of life/cost of living of a city when living there for 2+ years (tokyo vs nagoya vs kyoto in my case)
>do university rankings really matter when doing postgraduate research
>how much were you willing to stretch or adjust your research interests to match with your advisors
>>
>>16323291
yes, it is a hassle.
>>
>>16323326
>>do university rankings really matter when doing postgraduate research
It does matter a lot if you want to exit to industry. Both I doubt any employer in the US will know about or care about it.
>>
>>16323326
I would prioritize:
(1) Projects that interests you
(2) Older/more connected PI
Then anything else.
>>
Do I have any hope of a master's program if my GPA was less than 3.0 and I got a bunch of Ds in my core classes and graduated on a technicality
>>
>>16323388
Yes, there are places in Europe that will take literally anyone.
>>
>>16323392
It needs to be fully online though and Europe universities won't typically do that since they're mostly focused on academic tradition and an aura of prestige.
>>
>>16321975
Ok brother, thanks a lot. I’ll pull my grades up in these next 2 semesters.
>>16323392
NTA but thats good to know.
>>
>>16323392
Also I already got rejected from 1 Europe university.
>>
>>16322526
Maybe do a second Bachelor degree?
>>
>>16323398
https://www.bth.se/eng/education/masters/dvama/

I suggest you apply for this programme. It is at the school I did my PhD at. I doubt they will reject you when they let me graduate.
>>
>>16323395
>fully online
why? this is a terrible way to learn anything.
>>
>>16323416
Because I am a working professional.
>>
>>16323418
If you have a professional job, why do you need a master's degree?
>>
>>16323266
yeah, it gets boring some days. Im currently traveling and living large but by Christmas I’ll settle into a routine and get back to business. Work is like an ocean tide. Fill your buckets when the tide is in and relax when the tide is out. About stem people being hopeless, I maybe misspoke but nearly everyone I knew in academia was miserable. Lots of good people in industry are struggling too due inflation.
>>
>>16322971
Good for you anon. Travel much?
>>
>>16323420
To advance my career.
>>
When I think back to all the people who had phds in math and physics in the 19th century that no one remembers/cares about, then think of all of you losers who have phds and will go on to accomplish absolutely nothing, it makes me very happy.
>>
>>16323427
It's mostly a vanity degree these days for the children who come from middle class households and are desperate to retain their sense of class superiority.
>>
>>16323427
A PhD means very little, especially today.
>>
>>16323427
why so hateful? you can get a phd too if you want. they literally gives them out like candy nowadays. just look at this thread.
>>
>>16323425
How about this programme?

https://www.bth.se/eng/education/masters/iyamb/
>>
>>16323428
>vanity degree
maybe, but you will need it to get access to higher education jobs (not that there are many)
>>
Some good news:
It is fanally dawning on chip makers that they have to recruit a lot of people, and that they also have to be skilled, and that AI will not make them able to void the recruitment:
https://archive.is/xUOG3
>When will artificial intelligence start to replace human workers in a more significant way? This is a question that has become the subject of much speculation amid the AI boom. But long before we need to worry about that happening, a human worker shortage may turn out to be the biggest obstacle to the AI industry.
>Until now, the dominant belief has been that increasing chip manufacturing capacity was simply a matter of money. [...] The problem is that making a chip factory is not as simple as setting up a new factory that assembles smartphones in another country, where local workers can be quickly hired and trained. Chip plants require highly skilled employees, with master’s and doctoral degrees in science and engineering, to run them. Even the construction of a chip fabrication plant itself requires specialist workers.
>The large investment and subsequent build out of the US chip sector means more than 160,000 new job openings in engineering and technician support alongside additional openings in related construction craft jobs, according to McKinsey analysis. Yet just around 1,500 engineers join the chip industry each year. For chip technicians, that figure is even lower with just about 1,000 new technicians joining each year. In the next five years, the demand for these workers is forecast to reach 75,000
>>
>>16323469
I have so much fatigue from listening to brainlets talk about chips, holy fucking shit.
>>
>>16316200
Is it worth leaning into the meme of lab grown meat for an easier post-doc?

Science/impact seems way easier. The industry is trash
>>
>>16323474
I know the feeling. The problem has been that the brainlets were well paid but they wanted to pay peanuts to the technologists, and then were stunned only a handful of monkies appeared. It is now dawning on them that they have to pony up real money, but I will admit it will take at least a year from this realisation until they do cough up the cash.
Meanshile, TSMC spends 50 billion dollars in annual CAPEX, leaving US and European fab lines in the dust. The EU is delirious and believes that 30 billion Euros will make them leap to the top of the pile, so I would only laugh in that general direction.
>>
>>16319434
I went back for a second EE bachelors because I had a worthless degree the first time around. It basically necessitated certain things and it is also financially difficult. I could do it because I prioritized having zero debt the first time around. Also consider that you will be competing for entry level positions after that, so not the greatest but might still beat teaching high school math by a mile.

If you really want to do a second bachelor's in EE, focus on EM/RF with a math background. That is the most math heavy sub-discipline but it also necessitates post-grad of some kind.
>>
What kind of jobs can I get with a math PhD and background in university teaching? My job search is not going well.
>>
>>16323593
No, like a hair.
>>
>>16323593
This entire thread is people with math PhDs complaining about job prospects. Consider that. Personally, I would recommend something actuarial (insurance).
>>
>>16323599
The fight club job?
>>
What kind of education do you need to write textbooks for high school and stuff like that? MA in instructional design?
>>
>>16323618
I do not watch movies. It's the job where you calculate how much ought to be paid out for more complex issues.
>>
>ask overseeing professor to be a reference for student awards
>"Sure thing, anon, just type it for me so I can edit it later."
I understand I know myself better than him, but how am I, a student, supposed to know the format for a recommendation letter?
>To whom this may concern,
>Anon made great progress at school with X. In my course, he put great effort in researching X, even earning a perfect on the project! Always eager to learn more, he has a 4.00 GPA and is president/representative of his program's year. I see great things in his future.
>t. Professor Dumbledore
>>
>>16323638
Maybe you should.
>>
>>16323636
PhD for credibility.
40 years of experience.
Contacts in academia to collaborate with.
Contacts in the publishing world and Big Education.
And yeah probably some meme education credentials so that you can claim your book is somehow better than the 500 other textbooks that have been written on the topic.
>>
>>16323674
Ok, what kind of education do I need to get a job creating online learning resources for distance education? I had a lot of fun during covid creating videos and stuff for students. Too bad higher education is not focused on teaching but instead research grants.
>>
>>16316200
Hey bros, my bachelors is in philosophy but my school had a very STEM oriented philosophy program, I have a minor in mathematics and computer engineering in addition, currently also landed a job working in computer vision in a start up that deals with armed security and many other cool things that involves explosives, firearms and nuclear stuff. Am I welcomed here?
>>
>>16323690
Apologise immediately to me for having a job in my field despite being less qualified than me.
>>
>>16323690
No only unemployable math PhD losers are welcome here.
>>
>>16323684
What do you mean "get a job creating online learning resources"
Ever heard of youtube?
>>
>>16322526
>but I can technically pass as LGTBQ
uh.... does porn addiction to forced bi femdom pov clips count
>>
File: LAL22.pdf (131 KB, PDF)
131 KB
131 KB PDF
What do you think about this meme program? MSc Education in Learning and Digitization. I am kind of tempted to try it out.
>>
>>16323699
No, I can see why you’re unemployable now. You shouldn’t ask me to apologize, but maybe ask your mom to apologize for letting a loser cum inside of her and bringing you into this life.
>>
>>16323748
Education of today is undergoing several transformations, provoked by an increasingly
digitalized and globalized society, for example, intensified presence of the Edtech market,
datafication of individuals’ learning activities, emerging practices with digital tools, as well as
new forms of leadership and implementation processes. The rapid changes in the sector need to
be scrutinized and studied from a sustainability aspect in order to create future-oriented learning
that matters for coming generations. The social and environmental sustainability aspects in the
field of education and technology is still under development. The LeaDS programme responds to
societal needs of critical and practical thinking regarding change and innovation with and
through digital solutions on a sustainable basis in a range of educational settings.
>>
>>16323745
Yeah.
I think it's hilarious how zoomers don't realize they're all faggots and they think it's totally normal that like 90% of them are some various form of faggot. Totally organic btw, just happened naturally. Lmao.
>>
>>16323700
Oh okay, well tech workers general is ass, and I am not welcomed there because I’m not a tranny and also a sex haver, then history and humanities won’t take me either because I’m not a pseudo intellectual and have actually a job and two published silly papers with help from my uni and you guys won’t take me either…damn. Such grim life the one of a philosopher. Anyway, I hope y’all get jobs.
>>
>>16323753
Ok, I'm memorising your posting style now, this isn't over.
>>
Any advice for someone who wants to get a biochemistry R&D career?

Like finding chemicals in nature to make pills / medicine.
>>
HR has for years used automated tools to whittle down the list of applicants. Now the applicants are turning the tables on HR, and HR is now moaning:

>Jobhunters flood recruiters with AI-generated CVs
https://archive.is/ghHHn
>About half of all job seekers are using artificial intelligence tools to apply for roles, inundating employers and recruiters with low-quality applications in an already squeezed labour market.
>Estimates from employers and recruiters who spoke to the Financial Times, as well as multiple published surveys, have suggested the figure is as high as 50 per cent of applicants.
>>
>>16323886
Best part of this article is the clueless boomer comments underneath. This one really got me. What a life.
>>
I wish I never entered university. A wretched place of thievery and scum.
>>
>>16323935
Same honestly. The disappointment was crushing.
>>
>>16323656

just send him this
>>
>>16323690
How’d you land the job? I have a BA double major math and philosophy with a minor in CS summa cum laude from a top 30 and I can’t get shit. I’ve been forced into high school teaching.
>>
Why do only 25% of engineering grads get jobs in the engineering field?
>>
>>16324091
Most engineering grads come out of lower-ranked universities and do not do grad school. They also might get jobs in other fields. I would imagine the percent of engineering grad students who end up in the field is far higher.
>>
>>16324091
Because most engineering grads are shitters who got the degree because their dad said it would be a good idea. Once you go from solving nice neat little puzzle box problems with closed form solutions to being out in industry where everything is open ended and cost and corporate politics become a thing, these little faggots fall apart (especially women, I’ve seen more than one greenhorn woman at her desk crying in front of excel).
>>
>>16324037
Well, asides from being a zogbot with 15 years of experience in a ranger regiment as an infantry man and also national guard experience working with local LEO, I have my home lab, some projects I contributed too on github, this other ML project I have that sends text messages for changes in ammo sales using ammoseek.com, excerpts from the papers I wrote (on is on AI and automation and what it means for labor and industry on a social scale, the other is about digital epistemological anarchism based on based Fayerebands Against Method) and I also play music for fun and added my bands Spotify because why not? What also did it, was selling the fuck out of my logical and critical thinking skills acquired during my degree. Idk what you’re trained on, but I focused a lot on Phil of science, analytical philosophy and neorophilosophy, you’d be surprised how much that transfers to STEM. Also sell yourself as a natural philosopher and explain how you can contribute to any team based on your deduction skills.
It’s 2024 my guy, a philosophy degree is more marketable than ever if done correctly.
>>
>>16324168
Also sorry for the shit grammar im drinking atm
>>
>>16323555
EU still has ASML
>>
are you judged by your race, education or job?
>>
>>16323893
>clueless boomer comments underneath
Really? To me, it reads like he appreciates he got his job before the rot set in, and acknowledges that HR left the rails years ago.
Many of the comments are spot on, like
>HR can't have it both ways. They can't expect candidates to jump through many, many hoops and keyword based filtering, and not expect candidates to try and do this in an automated way. For young people especially, popular grad schemes are a numbers game, you might apply to 20, hear back from 4, get interviews for 2 and an offer for 1, all while trying to balance doing the stupid psychometric tests with your ordinary studies.
>>
>>16324168
My fellow zogbot, greetings.
>>
>>16323366
>Both I doubt any employer in the US will know about or care about it.
How did you manage to figure out my exact plans after graduating? I'm a thirdie who got a lucky break with this, but I'm not really looking to living in nipland for the rest of my life kek
>>16323381
I'll see which ones have specific ongoing projects that I think work best with my skills, thanks
>>
I apparently can't even get a part-time high school teaching job, even though I have a math phd and teaching license.
>>
File: 1723604560345994.webm (3.46 MB, 720x1280)
3.46 MB
3.46 MB WEBM
>>16321493
Get into industrial maintenance, maybe PLCs. Type in "field service technician" on indeed near any large city and there's all kinds of places hiring. Even if you have to do maintenance at a factory and learn how to grease bearings... Do it. Eventually if you get a field position you get a company car. I haven't paid for gas in over a year.
>>
>>16323893
Shotgun application is more or less a waste of time.
>>
>>16324784
Yes unfortunately in the UK you need to have the right pedigree to be granted the privilege of working for a living.
>>
>>16324199
It's just rude to remind us that things weren't always so bad. And also let's not pretend that these people didn't just sit idly by while all these changes occured.
>>
>>16323893
It can still be like this if you apply for small places.
>>
>>16324826
That is why the FAQ is clear: UK STEM degrees are great, the UK STEM salaries are the really bad, so leave as soon as you graduate.

>>16324827
>It's just rude to remind us that things weren't always so bad.
I don't read it that way. To the contrary, it shows that it is possible to run an industry without an out of control HR department made up of drama queens. So we should return to that era, at least in parts.
>>
>>16324908
That's never going to happen. The toothpaste is out of the tube.
>>
>>16324927
Sure? Elon kicked out the telephone sanitizers, everyone moaned, then Google and teh rest fired vast numbers quietly.
HR is full of incompetent people, and I have some bad experience when one HR department thought PhD was just a funny way to spell BSc, and proceeded to cut my salary.
>>
>>16324932
There are still plenty of HR people working at Elon's companies, and indeed he has to keep them there due to government regulation and americas "second" constitution. Pull your head out of your ass wood.
>>
>>16323496
>meme of lab grown meat
>lab grown meat
>meme
Aint a meme if it is a precursor to lab grown organs, which it is.
>>
>>16324932
Unfortunately a lot of this HR behavior is actual required by law in the United States currently. It will take political action to change it, which means it will not be so quick to occur.
>>
>>16324938
There might be some left but Musk has a history of mass firing and selective rehires. For HR it would be best to eject the entire lot and then hire a handful competent people. As the FT article amply demonstrates, HR is full of lazy people wanting everyone to do the work for them and get very upset if applicants dare to automate the process. There are clear psychopathic features here.
>>
>>16325051
You don't seem to understand. You can't get rid of HR by just "getting the right people". It's that way by design.
>>
>>16324908
Listen here bozo: I don't need you telling me how fucked up the country I come from is, alright? Next time you have a little comment to make how about just keeping it to yourself?
>>
How do I use my “engineering judgment?”
>>
>>16325141
>Next time you have a little comment to make how about just keeping it to yourself?
No.
I am here to warn people about employment in the UK. I got both my degrees from the UK and then left as soon as I could. I didn't even attend the graduation seremony for my PhD, I got the papers in the post. The country is too big for you or me to change; what we instead can do, is to advice people on what to do: run. And if it is any consolation, almost the entire Western "civilization" is heading head first into the bog, and WWIII is expected in about 3 years time.
>>
>>16325199
You wouldn't last five seconds in north west London you poofter
>>
>>16325201
I lasted 8 years in Glasgow, near Gorbals.
>>
>>16325211
That explains it.
>>
>>16324091
This statistic is hard to believe
>>16324097
Why would “ranking” matter for and engineering degree? The content is standardized by a supervisory entity. Your degree is either abet accredited or it isn’t. How could ranking affect getting a job, the only time it might matter is getting in to grad school
>>
>>16324938
>>16324980
Both you guys are correct
The HR monster is an integral component of civil rights America which effectively has superseded the constitution
There’s no way to undo all of this democratically.
>>
>>16325228
Well said wood.
>>
>>16325214
I went onto LinkedIn and used the Alumni database for various schools to look at the outcomes. I chose all schools in Boston because there are a lot of schools there of varying prestige and I didn't want differences in location to bias the data. Here is what I found:

Percentage of Mechanical Engineering Graduates on LinkedIn who currently work in "Engineering":
> MIT: 24%
> Tufts U: 31%
> Boston U: 30%
> U. Mass Amherst: 36%
> Olin College of Engineering: 46%

Perhaps they are all working in Finance or other fields that make more money? Was that because there aren't enough jobs or by choice?
>>
>>16325253
>>16325214
Also, here is the relevant article.

https://interestingengineering.com/culture/what-percentage-of-engineering-graduates-actually-work-in-their-respective-fields
>>
>>16325253
The fact that I never got to go to an American university is one of the greatest tragedies to ever befall anyone ever. I would be so good at being at cawlidtch
>>
I can only see things in elden ring lingo so are we stemfags faith, intelligence or arcane?
I feel like doctors, nurses and pharmacists are faith.
>>
>>16325262
Whatever the grossest, most wretched characters are.
>>
>>16325253
So there is clearly an inverse relationship between school prestige and ending up in the field. I would definitely have to imagine these people work in more lucrative fields.

>>16325214
It matters for certain employers. I know a lot of the big-name silicon valley tech companies only look at a handful of schools and only attend an even smaller number of career fairs for engineering and those typically pay the best (there are a limited number of FAANG companies which do physical hardware). But it definitely does matter for grad schools and considering certain subfields, particularly design-related ones, are basically grad-school required, it matters a lot.
>>
>>16325253
I would say if only 24% of MIT engineering grads are working in engineering then that completely rules out school ranking as a cause.
I’d want to know how they are determining who is in engineering and who isn’t. Engineering is extremely broad, a lot of these people might effectively be engineers but have job titles that call them something else
>>
>>16325265
>So there is clearly an inverse relationship between school prestige and ending up in the field.
Sort of, but Olin is the most prestigious of the schools listed besides MIT and they do the best.

>>16325270
>I would say if only 24% of MIT engineering grads are working in engineering then that completely rules out school ranking as a cause.

School ranking could be a cause for the lower prestige schools but not MIT. I agree MIT engineering grads probably have their pick of the litter for finance, consulting, quant jobs at companies that are not even advertised, etc.

>a lot of these people might effectively be engineers but have job titles that call them something else
But what percentage of graduates could that be true for? Certainly not more than another 25%.
>>
Should I do real analysis or group theory first? My school sucks so I have to choose one, then take the other 2 semesters later. My focus is applied math
>>
>>16326149
Real analysis is great, but if you are focusing on applied math, do group theory. If you intend to go grad school though, real analysis is your first real proofs-based class.
>>
>>16326153
That's an interesting answer because I was leaning towards real analysis, since I will be taking PDEs and numerical analysis classes too. What makes group theory more important for applied?
>>
>>16326158
It involves a lot of new computational mathematical methods, i.e. more applied math, vs. real analysis which is basically Calc 1 again but rigorous.
>>
File: 1705240778872733.jpg (108 KB, 1200x1078)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
Anyone else terrified of social events with their grad programs or am I just that much of a loser? I've overheard some of the girls shit talking dudes and how they'll report anyone they don't like and I genuinely want nothing to do with these people. On great terms with my PI and lab and everything, these people just seem extremely toxic. High school really never ends huh. I'm gonna fucking die alone
>>
>>16326242
>I've overheard some of the girls shit talking dudes and how they'll report anyone they don't like and I genuinely want nothing to do with these people

What the fuck? Is this an American university?
R1? R2? And what subject?
>>
>>16326253
> Is this an American university?
Of course
>R1? R2?
R1 apparently

>What the fuck?
I think this is pretty common, I've just had the misfortune of actually hearing what girls talk about when they think no one is listening. I mean they didn't *literally* say they'd report anyone they dislike, but they said some stuff that freaked me out anyway, and I heard some other girls shit talking some guys after a social event years ago (I met them and they seemed really nice). There's this air of extreme bitterness that's demoralizing the hell out of me. Like do other grad programs also have weird cliques and "cool" kids and "nerds"? Is there ever any escape from this bullshit? Am I just autistic or is this just societal decay? Or both?
>>
How do I get a job as a math PhD?
>>
>>16326313
>>16326242

>I've overheard some of the girls shit talking dudes and how they'll report anyone they don't like
>they didn't *literally* say they'd report anyone they dislike, but they said some stuff that freaked me out anyway
People talk shit all the time, who cares, and you're coming up with scenarios that aren't even real.

>do other grad programs also have weird cliques and "cool" kids and "nerds"?
Everywhere with human interaction will form cliques to some degree.

>Am I just autistic or is this just societal decay?
I'm sure similar things have been going on since the stone age

Just learn to act professional. You can be yourself around people you like and trust, in private. Otherwise keep a bit of distance, be polite, put on a fake smile and don't leave openings.
>>
>>16326242
There were no grads in my girl program.
>>
>>16326242
>Anyone else terrified of social events with their grad programs
Plenty. And the FAQ has serious advice here, such as
https://sciencecareergeneral.neocities.org/#mozTocId13167
>We try to avoid doomer postings here, but one anon reported he had been fired from an internship due to accusations. Do not take this lightly. An accusation 20 years later is one you cannot defend yourself against, it will be her words against yours, unless you follow the advice here.

Do read those bullet points or you will be done for.
>>
I'm currently a math major with a minor in statistics. What's the best way to contribute to AI research? I hate the world so my new goal in life is to do whatever I can to bring about an AI singularity that destroys humanity. Even if it's being some lowly code monkey, I'd be fine. As long as I'm doing something to help.
>>
>>16326775
Join my effective altruist adjacent ai related groups (there are some discords where they organise their infernal "alignment" research), move up the ranks and start wrecking. It shouldn't be too hard as they are pathologically open and tend to be revolting polyamorists.
>>
So is the GRE a total joke now or what?
Reading over the testing parameters and it feels like they've dramatically lowered the bar.
>>
>>16326937
For non-math majors, it has always been a joke as you do not take the math GRE, you just take the regular one. It is those same liberal short stories as always and some speed geometry and algebra. The hardest part is honestly memorizing all of the vocab if you are going for a 170R.
>>
I just wanted to try hacking not shut down the fucking economy got dammi
>>
Who else here did a PhD without a clear career plan?
>>
>dau 228 of unemployment
>>
>>16327191
I had a very clear idea of what I wanted to achieve but I forgot that this society, which I allegedly live in, is biased against me in a most overwhelming fashion.
>>
>>16327191
I knew I had to at least do a master's degree to do what I want to. Luckily going for a PhD in something hyper specific is working out because LLMs (really) are actually making what I researched viable commercially (dynamic heat management for hybrid signal applications). There was barely any market for this outside of military applications when I started my PhD, so I was basically committing to working for prime defense contractors or a postdoc if I wanted to continue my work. Now everyone and their mother wants a constellation relying as much as possible on hybrid signals.
>>
What are some target careers for math PhDs? I am trying to survey my options. I need to decide on a path forward.
>>
Where my patent law homies at
>>
>>16327380
Getting paid worse than the gender studies grad who went to Yale for Law School while also working longer hours than PhDs.
>>
>>16327397
W0t

Patent law pays well. It's shit, but you can to 150k easily with just a bachelor's. Much more if you get a law degree
>>
>>16327406
Yes. The typical big law salary that anyone at Yale can get if they want is much higher than that. Patent law is the worst of both worlds but you can achieve a good salary from a lower-tier law school more easily. Law people are very very into school prestige.
>>
>>16327445
If you're comparing the earning potential of what is potentially the best-paid degree from the best university for that degree to that of a generic science degree + whatever qualifications you end up getting then you're not really making a fair comparison.

Further, it's certainly a better career than academia.
>>
>>16327406
>but you can to 150k easily with just a bachelor's
Lol no you can't. I swear this general is full of unemployed retards.
>>
Starting one of those Online Masters programs while working, I'm upskilling so hard right now.
>>
>>16327342
academia, mcdonalds, finance, consulting, teaching, the army, gambling on crypto, code monkey
we have our picks
>>
>>16327342
Academia, Defense, Software/Tech are big. Also a lot of non-orthodox options if you play your cards right.
>>
Nobody told me engineering was for losers.
>>
>>16327406
patent law is extremely gated and you can't get in.
I wasted 2 years trying.
>>
>the On Women guy
>>
I signed up to this programme. 100% online self-paced.
>https://www.metropolia.fi/en/academics/open-university/path-studies/it-online
>>
>>16327380
There are a few here, also patent Examiners have posted here.
For Europe, the latest statistics is here, hot off the presses:
https://fellowsandassociates.com/4664-2/
Also see:
https://fellowsandassociates.com/2012comparison/

t.European patent attorney
>>
>>16317001
God I hope your friend is the norm. Starting my masters in math now.
>>
>>16327732
>patent law is extremely gated and you can't get in.
That was not my experience, where did you try?
>>
>>16327959
In what? I'm curious
>>
>>16327976
It’s an M.S. in Mathematics. The school doesn’t really split it up more than just math and statistics. But from my understanding it’s more focused on applied math than pure math.
>>
>>16323427
I’d get a PhD to live well doing something in finance. I understand being spiteful toward academia LARPers, totally fair, but why do you care if people have impact on the field or not?
>>16323430
Name one degree/certification that isn’t worth significantly less than it was 20 years ago.
>>
>>16323759
Living like Camus and bitching about it is crazy.
>>
Any anons here work in reverse engineering systems? I've previously worked a couple aerospace firmware space internships, and I'm looking to shake things up for my last one. Do you guys find reverse engineering interesting/rewarding, and is it worth potentially centering a career around?
>>
>>16326931
>intentionally wrecking alignment research.
That's like the cosmic equivalent of a school shooting.
>>
>>16328335
They deserve it for being so revolting and forming a MAFIA in the AI field. The Jews of AI truly, all polyamorists and unreconstitued "rationalists" to a man (or rather to a gender non-binary person as the case may be).

There is no punishment they do not deserve, oh I hate them so.
>>
Some statistics for the UK:
https://graduatemarkettrends.cdn.prismic.io/graduatemarkettrends/bb6dc6da-0786-4c17-aa74-af4607d20bb0_what-do-graduates-do-2324.pdf
Lifetime earning are markedly different from initial salary; Physics graduates start off really well but lifetime eraning is really bad. The reasons are not clear:
https://archive.is/lYQSI
>>
>>16328836
Most physmos are autistic freakazoids and likely to try to remain working as physicists and thus never earning enough to furnish a nice wine cellar.

Compare to the humble mathmo, who will soon learn that there aren't really jobs where you do mathematics and will soon resign himself to a life of 6 figure financial services drudgery
>>
>>16328854
Did you even read the report?
>IT jobs were the top destination for physics graduates, with 28% of them entering this industry. Another 21% went into roles classified as business, HR and finance
>Far fewer physics graduates moved into scientific roles (9%)
This is also shown on the list of jobs held by first-degree graduates.
>>
>>16328896
No I don't read reports they're boring I prefer to use my powerful imagination.

What's your hypothesis then EINSTEIN?
>>
>>16322526
Me. MSEE PhD CS. Crappy jobs for ten years. So, I doubled down and went to law school. Currently a patent attorney. I hate it alough it is remunerative. I still want to build cool stuff. I am pushing 40. No wife, no life. I am sad.
>>
>>16328923
>MSEE PhD CS.
How is it even possible to be doing badly with this background?
>law school
lmao
>>
>>16328925
Top 5 schools, too. I attracted defense contractors. Once in defense, even with a clearance, the civilian market wouldn't touch me. So I went law since MBA wouldn't do anything for me in my 30's given I only held technical roles and couldn't discuss my achievements openly. I wasn't going to teach, I have difficulty interacting with stupid sheeple.
>>
>>16328933
The answer ladies and gentlemen. Hes a narcissist and its damaged his life prospects.
>>
>>16328935
There is nothing wrong with apprehending one's strengths and liabilities. It doesn't render narcissism.
>>
>>16328938
>stupid sheeple

The jigs up pal
>>
>>16328905
I have no hypothesis here, there are too many unknowns. For instance we don't know if the older physicists are all counted or if the physicists leaving the country for well paid jobs are no part of this statistics.
A LinkedIn discussion, where I found this, pointed out the discrepancy but th eonly explanation offered was that it was a miscalculation.
>>
>>16328980
Seems odd that those things would only effect physicists. It also seems weird to me that chemists of all people earn more than physicists. What is going on in this country?
>>
>>16328933
Are you in BigLaw now? How are your hours?
What is your undergraduate in?
>>
I hate my stem career.
>>
>>16328923
MSEE and PhD CS?

Bro what, that is a combo that almost guarantees a job that pays better than patent law jobs for most people. Glad the patent law thing at least worked out. A lot of companies even have new PhD grad programs that pay well over 200k/year at the moment.

Are you outside the US?
>>
ML/AI bros help me out.
I found a sure and easily reproduceable algorithm to assign data formats available in your hardware to emulate any intermediate precision with equivalent or even better inference quality, and I speculate that this could be huge for hardware designers as it would basically reduce the number of formats supported to 2 at a minimum, discarding the need for intermediate precision support, but dont know if this is worth studying further, or ifs a solution in search of a problem.

Think of MXFP format, you can have different widths allocated to mantissas, such as MXFP4, MXFP6 and MXFP8, basically I think I can show that having MXFP6 implemented is useless because by correctly assigning MXFP8 and MXFP4 to your model weights and using my algorithm, you can emulate any precision you want within the 4-8 range, so that includes MXFP6. Which means lower logic overhead for format support -> higher arithmetic density.

What do you think? Worth working on it or am I delusional? ML research is hardcore so I dont want to waste my time for less than a 5% chance of being accepted by a venue.
>>
>>16329089
Sounds pretty useful, people do all sorts of tricks farting about with the weight precisions to save memory for these large models.
>>
>>16329089
That sort of simplification would be huge for edge computing and other physical applications that take advantage of LLMs and need to keep power and computational draw to a minimum.

I want to tell you go for it, but the landscape is changing so rapidly that I cannot say. My field, at least, would be very interested (and so would certain potential advisors), but I am not sure how marketable that sort of thing would be on the software dev side.
>>
>>16324764
How is it being a PLC tech? I heard it's good money they make, with paid training too.
>>
>>16329089
Check your contract, it is likely that your school or employer has rights to any invention you may have come up with, and what you tell here, certainly could be valuable.
>>
Do you guys have any info on how good is Hebei Normal University for mathematics?
I may have a shot at going there. It's in China.
>>
>>16329514
If your native language is not Chinese, you will struggle trying to learn math in that language.
>>
>>16329521
Knowing chinese isn't a requirement apparently. Suffices to speak english for what I've seen.
I'm not applying directly to that university. I'd go through my university, since they're developing relations.
>>
>>16329528
Look, I know Chinese at a basic level as I lived there for a while. The level of general English competency in that country is not high so you will get a very limited pool of professors who can speak English well enough speaking broken English and you will be restricted to those classes. You will also be restricted to particular materials in effect. Even if you had my level of Chinese, learning something like math, which is so precise, in a language that you are not a native speaker of or near-native will be an issue. I would recommend against it unless it is some semester study-abroad or something, but just know you are going to have to work at it. Also, please be aware that the area that university is in is kind of a shithole. China is far more generally developed than it used to be, but that university is on the very edge of the core of northern China. It's flat, polluted (up against mountains), and gray while the population density in that part of the country is also high outside of the mountains.
>>
>>16329538
As far as I know, it'll be exactly
>semester study-abroad
But thanks for the info. But do you have any knowledge regarding how good this uni is for mathematics? At the moment I'm suspecting it's not that good of a university, but I want to be sure.
In any case, I wonder if it'd be a good idea just for the sake of meeting new people and potentially coming across opportunities of going to better universities in China.
>>
>>16327531
The USPTO has a non-competitive track to GS-14 patent examiner which makes the federal salary cap which is near $200k if you stay long enough. All you need is a bachelor's and a willingness to be a relentless paperwork monkey
>>
>>16329547
I've never heard of it before. If I were you, I would keep your head down and really dedicate yourself to studying math domestically. If you were studying something else and wanted to really immerse in the Chinese language, I might tell you to go for it. I used to work with Fudan university which is one of the more prestigious in the country, so it is telling that I have never heard of this one. As a point of history, if you see the word "Normal" in the name of the school, that tells you it was originally founded as something more like a high school+ and evolved up from there. It's not too different from how X State/Tech is in the US. There may be some exceptions where such a university is more prestigious as there are in the US (e.g. Georgia Tech), but it is generally the case that these schools are newer and don't have the long histories and accumulated wealth that other institutions do.
>>
>>16329554
I see.
I'm not from the US, but my country is in the IMU group 5, and we do have some good institutions here.
Thanks a lot anon.
>>
>>16324168
>Phil of science, analytical philosophy and neorophilosophy
Analytic philosophy (especially philosophy of science) is to actual science what masturbating to porn is to having sex.
>>
>>16329556
Don't listen to that nerd, going to china and chopping it for a little while (who knows it may become difficult in future for westerners to do this) will be far more of a growing experience than spending all day learning epsilon delta proofs. Your studies will still be waiting for you at home.

Also I've worked with some people who went to HNU and it seemed pretty serious.
>>
I don't think this is the general for engineers...
cheme graduate here who just got a 3 year graduate program from a billion dollar chemical company
I feel like I got a great deal but I'm not sure. 60k in Europe.
>>
>>16329549
>you can get to $150k easily with just a bachelor's
>just have 20 years of experience and have the right skin color to get promoted to the top rank at the fed office
lol
>>
>Doctor of Philosophy: Mathematics
What a terrible fate. I wouldn't want this for my worst enemies.
>>
I should have gone to a big US school instead of my Canadian school where I really liked my PI. The field is so incestuous I should have gone to Harvard or something.
>>
>>16330245
3 year graduate program paid for by the employer? How long is your commitment to them after?
>>
>>16330245
60k what? 60k annual salary during your studies? 60k tuition waiver?
>>
>>16329514
Normal Universities in China are for future teachers. It probably has a 80% women's share but not sure whether those have the best academic standing.
>>
>day 230 of unemployment
This cannot be happening to me
>>
>The level of establishment in the labour market gradually increases in the years following a doctoral qualification. One year after qualification it is 71 per cent, while after three years it is 81 per cent and after five years 85 per cent. This according to a new report from the Swedish Higher Education Authority, UKÄ, which is a follow-up to a similar study conducted in 2018. The new report covers those who qualified with doctorates during the period 1998–2017, which is a total of 52,037 people.

In order to be classified as established in the labour market, you must have been employed in November, not been unemployed during the year and have an annual income of at least SEK 241,900.
>>
>The majority of all PhD graduates, 56 per cent, work outside higher education. At the same time, 29 per cent remain and work at the higher education institution where they obtained their doctorate, while 15 per cent work at another higher education institution.
>>
>>16330429
Translated into English: Go to the prestigious schools, even if they do not have the best advisors in your field if you want to work in academia generally.
>>
>“All in all, this indicates that you do not get the result people would expect from doctoral studies, either with regard to salary or the ease of which you can find a job,” says Sundin.
>>
Fuck Sundin, fuck UKÄ and fuck academia.
>>
>
At Stockholm University, a large research programme is underway in which the consequences of precarious employment in working life are being studied.
“We are focusing on retail, such as takeaway food delivery workers and self-employed people with freelance contracts. And we are studying employees in the higher education sector,“ says Petra Lindfors, a professor of psychology and the leader of the project on employees in the higher education sector.
>>
Why did I choose to stay in canada
>>
>>16330442
Are you Indian?
>>
>>16330444
No I'm a white Canadian
I liked the work by a PI here and I'm enjoying my PhD but looking at what people say online I seem fucked by not going to Harvard, Stanford, Caltech.
>>
>PhD graduates find jobs quickly
>One year after qualification it is 71 per cent, while after three years it is 81 per cent and after five years 85 per cent.
>>
>>16330447
You are fucked. Have a clear exit plan. Don't make my mistake.
>>
>>16330471
What was your mistake
>>
>>16330477
First mistake was getting a phd. Second mistake was not having a clear exit strategy except "work in Software Dev/IT"
>>
>>16329138
The work is clean and not backbreaking like other trades. You walk around with little screwdrivers and sit in front of a laptop.
>>
I cannot stand unemployment any longer. I am going back to school. Fuck it. What should I study this time? Already did all the math degrees.
>>
What's the easier route to $300k/year--becoming a doctor in 8 years with $500k of debt, or becoming a scientific director in industry in 10+ years while making a good salary in the meantime?
>>
>>16330564
$300k/year doctor is something you can all but guarantee whereas anything to do with years of experience is harder to assure. Maybe go into something like an electrical engineering PhD?
>>
>>16330490
How much math and / or coding do I have to brush up on before applying for a position? I plan on reading through a pre-calc book and getting my fundamentals down before moving onto higher maths as needed.
>>
I think I might be getting fired soon. My coworkers have realized that I'm retarded and can only accomplish tasks if they handhold me through it. I have no backup plan and I'm scared.
>>
>>16330607
The coding is reaaaally simple. Its ladder logic with basic and/if/or statements and do/while loops. There’s some PID tuning involved but that’s gonna be done with software anyways.
>>
File: resume2.pdf (65 KB, PDF)
65 KB
65 KB PDF
I signed up for a couple online degree programs. I am actually learning a lot. What do you think of my new education section?
>>
>>16330577
I am already doing a medical engineering PhD. I need to decide if it's worth the pivot to medicine or not. My worry is that I'll be looking back 10 years from now having failed to achieve $300k/year in industry and regret not going into medicine (and being an attending at that point). But I also know that for the 8 years I am in med school/residency I will regret it and wish I was chilling in industry with low six-figure pay.
Also, being an attending physician is much more chill and has better job security than being a director, while also making slightly more in most cases. The only scenario in which I am better off in industry in the long run is if I get lucky at a startup.
>>
>>16330646
>The coding is reaaaally simple.
Thanks for the info, fren. My coding skills are fairly non-existent, I would assume I can download a software to practice my plc skills or pay for a course to get the basics down. I believe you can also buy some hardware to practice on as well.
>>
>>16330657
Four online degrees at once is quite a lot, and to be quite honest it reeks of desperation. As a Finn, going from a MSc at Stockholm University (global top 100 ish uni) to a BEng at Metropolia (where the ADHD hockey players go to check the degree box) raises some questions. I don't know about the other universities off the top of my head, but Googling Escuela de Negocios Europea de Barcelona gives the suggested query of "eneb es real?" which probably says enough.You appear to have two simultaneous teaching degrees going on which is a bit puzzling.

Anyone looking at this will read between the lines that shit is not going well for anon. But the situation is what the situation is, and at least this shows you've been doing something to keep moving.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.