[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

3-Year duration 4chan Passes are now available for $45

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1716259159540837.jpg (653 KB, 1150x1500)
653 KB
653 KB JPG
Kurisutina Edition

Previous Thread: >>16331633
This thread exists to ask questions regarding careers associated to STEM.
>Discussion on academia-based career progression
>Discussion on penetrating industry from academia
>Or anything in relation to STEM employment or development within STEM academia!

Resources for protecting yourself from academic marxists:
>https://www.thefire.org/ (US)
>https://www.jccf.ca/ (Canada)

Information resource:
>https://sciencecareergeneral.neocities.org/
>*The Chad author is seeking additional input to diversify the content into containing all STEM fields. Said author regularly views these /scg/ threads.

No anons have answered your question? Perhaps try posting it here:
>https://academia.stackexchange.com/

An archive of some of the previous editions of /scg/:
>https://warosu.org/sci/thread/15740454
>>
>>16347256
Good edition.

I started my first real engineering classes and I had to do a buch of metric to imperial conversions and its super cancerous like chem I and II on steroids. Can the us just go to metric in stem and manufacturing fields already.
>>
Is work at CERN desirable? No taxes, high income, interesting environment; seems too good. I am asking as I have to decide upon my electives (leading up to my masters), and my uni has a program regarding the subatomic
>>
>>16347259
Bro there are like 20 units of pressure
You will never escape unit conversion therapy
>>
>>16347259
>had to do a buch of metric to imperial conversions
Isn't that the wrong way?
>>
>>16347486
American engineering student problems.I go both ways constantly though. Looking at a pressure-tank problem that's using lb/s as a unit of airflow I have no idea how to fit that into PV=nRT or I do and just don't want to accept it.
>>
File: 1724446367843998.png (669 KB, 720x697)
669 KB
669 KB PNG
Is it feasible for me to aim for academia if my end goal is to work as a teaching professor doing a little bit of research on the side? I heard these positions are still insanely competitive to get
>>
What happened to the other thread from yesterday? Too much wrongthink?
>>
>>16347780
It got deleted and apparently the anon got banned
>>
>>16347829
We did it, reddit
>>
>>16347486
The weight of what you have said has finally sunk in. I'm retarded and making things difficult for no reason.
>>
>day 240 of unemployment
>>
File: 1724172409116520.jpg (167 KB, 1125x1373)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
redpill me on teaching as a career
>>
>>16347954
You'll end up as a gif in a pol humor thread when a future scientist stabs you for taking away his Gameboy SP.
>>
I used to think the "fake job listings" stuff was schizobabble but I'm starting to believe it.
I swear all job listings are the same "talent agencies" reposting the same exact job ads every week over and over again, despite the fact that each time they post they get hundreds of applicants.
>>
>>16347973
Those hundreds of applicants are 90% pajeets looking for H1Bs. They spam any and all job postings even if it specifically says “no sponsorship”
>>
>>16347256
Physics undergrad here that wants to go full ACKademia but money, so i was thinking on going into the quant finance meme to buy a house to have at least one property and dont be worried about a due rent every fucking month.
What should I study apart from classic physics major physics and math? Stochastic calculus and statistics but what else?
Also, any anon that did the same, your experience on that?
I'm willing to sell my soul to a fucking firm as long as I can own a house and not be a slave of landlord, and do my funny research in peace.
>>
>>16348021
Quant is certainly the better gig, but just so you're honest with yourself, it's unlikely you will return to academia afterwards. Having hobbies is good, but you are very unlikely to do substantial research outside of academia.
>>
>>16348090
I want to do research in academia, also teaching, anon.
>>
>>16348108
Right. So what's the plan for that? Spend five years as a quant, start a PhD? Do a PhD, become a quant for five years, get a postdoc?
>>
>doing masters in math
>rejected from tutoring site
welp I give up, I'll just be poor forever.
Hello Anon PhD can I take your order?
>>
>>16347757
It is a rat race, where if you win, your prize is a stuffed rat, but you are still a rat.
Why would you want to do this!?

>>16347929
How is the writing coming along, my man?
>>
Whenever I look at someone else's Google Scholar they have more papers than me. More citations. I'm just about to exit academia but it's what I've been doing for the past six years and what do I have to show for it? I feel like a massive retard failure.
>>
>>16348221
this
>>
>>16347256
brainlet in EE here, taking classes on signal processing. In my circuits class we used Laplace transforms, and they seemed more useful for all systems, what's the point of Fourier besides as a stepping stone?
>>
>>16348221
Bro i'm 24 in my last year of my two bachelors in math and physics, life doesn't always progress linearly and comparison (to others) is the thief of all joy.
>>
roap
>>
>>16349059
>Bro i'm 24 in my last year of my two bachelors in math and physics

Is this supposed to be a bad thing? Where I'm from people end high school at 19, men do national service for a year and Masters is the expected degree so everyone is graduating uni at 25 at the very earliest.

Meanwhile I wasted my entire 20s trying to be an academic only to fall short. Sure, some AIDS baby in Africa has it worse, but I fumbled my own career due to incompetence more than circumstances and feel shit about it.
>>
What STEM subject is the best for second phd after math?
>>
>>16348963
FFT
>>
>>16347966
beats being unemployed desu
>>
File: 1710878105841481.gif (2.87 MB, 232x232)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB GIF
>company says they want a job interview.
>they say that my inexperience won't be a problem given that I can demonstrate that I'm a go-getter and self learner.
>but then they cancel the fucking interview 24 hours before I'm due to talk to them because "actually on second thought we want someone with more experience."

they must have somehow figured out some embarrassing shit I did in college while drunk.

my life is fucked. I've failed 10 job interviews and got ghosted/denied interview at least twice as many times.

fuck dude. this sucks. Should I go back and get my masters? I feel like at 26 years old its ogre for me. I have job exp just not in the STEM fields. I dunno what the fuck to do bros. I'm currently trying to do some meme certification for some non-STEM thing but I have the feeling that that will also go nowhere.
>>
>>16349437
theoretical physics
>>
Just got an offer after six months of applying. MS Chemistry USA.
>~150 applications turned into 5 interviews, of which 2 passed the first round
If you're looking for work, you get a free pass to cope bc It really sucks and everyone I know that's applying in STEM is struggling. Obviously you have to get your foot in the door but once you get an interview, 90% of the work is appearing normal and functional to the person you're talking to. I almost got hired back in May until I sperged out talking to the team lead and ruined the vibe. Of course it's hard to avoid acting like an autistic retard in high pressure situations but ultimately I think that's all it takes once you're in the hot seat. Fuck I'm gonna miss my NEET vacation.
Anyway wagmi even you
>>
>>16349619
>90% of the work is appearing normal and functional
Still working on this point
>>
I don't know if I'm supposed to get a career that's the same as my degree or if I should get whatever career is available.

Sometimes people get PhDs in a subject but their actual skill was something else. I think people eventually get forced into the career their skills are in because these days you don't get to do what you want.
>>
>>16349858
There's no "supposed to". It's a balance of what you want, what's available and what you're able to get. Some people want nothing more to do with their PhD topic after they're done. Others would love to keep at it but nothing is available. Since nobody knows or cares about what your circumstances might be, they won't blink at any respectable career you end up in.

>Sometimes people get PhDs in a subject but their actual skill was something else
I don't quite understand. PhD level research is specialized to the point where thinking about it in subject terms makes little sense most of the time. Nobody gets an industry job in Physics.
>>
File: 1721228062438364.jpg (82 KB, 1080x1080)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>16347256
>Got to a BSc level qualification
>0 work experience as unis just gave me a bag of lies rather than a placement
How fucked am I for finding a job?
>>
>>16349994
HEY BROS THIS GUYS THINKS A BSC IS ENOUGH HAHAHAHA

Maybe for a gas station job kek
>>
Fart on my neck..I might have found a way to do through my movie golden eye
>>
How much does work experience matter for PhD admissions and working in industry after a PhD. I have realized that I do not want to stay in academia, but I do want to continue to continue my work in industry and it is basically PhD-required for design work. Am I shooting myself in the foot with a resume that currently has no relevant work experience even if my research credentials are more than sufficient? If not, what should I do while I am a PhD student to get something other than research that people in industry would like to see?
>>
>>16349994
see: >>16350013
>>16350052
xdddd he got memed
>>
2:00 minute mark.
https://youtu.be/JxTCeyG3OvM?si=J9MXKSiJpC4l5GQP
Okay which one of you guys is Randy. I wanna hear your story.
>>
>>16350302
>cp violations
It's one of us isn't it
>>
>>16350109
you don't get relevant work experience unless you work a full-time job while doing your PhD which is a full-time job already
>>
>>16350109
>How much does work experience matter for PhD admissions
Very little, except if it is directly relevant to your PhD research, most people coming in have little to no work experience and the selection criteria are almost exclusively academic performance and research experience.

>and working in industry after a PhD
Much more, to the extent where industry doesn't consider academic research under any title as work experience, and nobody gives a shit about your grades or publications (within reason). The orthogonality of what industry and academia value is, in my opinion, one of the reasons PhDs often end up a bit lost.

As the other anon said, it's quite difficult to rack up work experience during the PhD. You normally don't get the summers off for internships like during undergrad. There are PhD internships, but you'll have to get your advisor on board with that and fit it into your degree. They're not common like undergrad internships are. Beyond that it's mostly just trying to figure out what skills employers want which you might be able to cultivate during your PhD, networking with people so you're aware of the opportunities and so on.
>>
>>16347382
Outside of
>astrophysics
Particle is the most popular branch of physics at the moment. Jobs at CERN and PhDs with placements at CERN are very competitive. Making a career in particle is very difficult and nobody will know you name from your published work with well over fifty names authors per paper.
If you're really set on particle physics, go for neutrinos. The experiments are in more interesting locations and you won't be competing with hundreds of more qualified researchers for jobs.

Regardless, particle is a dead end branch, you either become an established researcher or you leave physics completely with no transferable skills for industry.
>>
>>16347954
Seriously underpaid, horridly overworked, no appreciation, you will die in work or shortly after retirement. When things go wrong because management are psychopaths, the students are retarded and you aren't given the time or resources to teach, the blame is entirely on you.
Those who can't (do any better), teach.
This applies to university-level teaching too, it's no different.
>>
File: user_is_delusional.jpg (135 KB, 900x676)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>16349437
>a second phd
Just go find a postdoc or anything else.
Do you really want at least three more years of shit pay, shit conditions and further delaying your career, your life?
What do you hope to gain by doing another PhD?
>>
>>16350777
>>16349437

Agreed that two PhDs is in fact more alarming than impressive. However

>Just go find a postdoc
>Do you really want at least three more years of shit pay, shit conditions and further delaying your career, your life?

you have just described a postdoc
>>
>>16349522
You gotta pump those numbers up pal, those are rookie numbers.

Companies are fickle bitches, I once got all the way to the end of an interview chain, tests, met the fuckin CEO everything and then when I'm waiting for them to send over the papers I get a call from the hiring manager telling me they actually didn't have any budget to hire anyone. That's the game unfortunately. It was a good thing in the end though cause two weeks later I got a job paying almost twice that one, so you just gotta keep applying like a psycho.
>>
>>16349522
>my life is fucked. I've failed 10 job interviews and got ghosted/denied interview at least twice as many times.
I have been on 17 job interviews this year. 2022 I was on 22 before I finally got a 1 year teaching contract. 2023 I was on 2 job interviews. I greatly regret not going to more interviews when I was working.
>>
>>16350734
>As the other anon said, it's quite difficult to rack up work experience during the PhD. You normally don't get the summers off for internships like during undergrad. There are PhD internships, but you'll have to get your advisor on board with that and fit it into your degree. They're not common like undergrad internships are. Beyond that it's mostly just trying to figure out what skills employers want which you might be able to cultivate during your PhD, networking with people so you're aware of the opportunities and so on.

Thank you! I will definitely try my best to network. Perhaps I will even show up to undergrad job fairs and keep my eye out for internship opportunities. I know the time commitment doing a PhD would entail. In your experience are those internships less of a time commitment (e.g. I could probably fit like 10 hours/week on top of everything else easily).
>>
>>16347256
if you could go into either chemistry or chemical engineering which would you choose?
>>
>day 242 of unemployment
>>
>>16351118
Chem E and it’s not even close.
>>
>>16351149
thy stem career...
>>
>>16351181
thought so as much, what about mech e/aero and chem? you do a lot of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics in those too. I'm not a highschooler asking this btw, I'm too old to do another 5-7 years of university and grunt work to change fields, but I am curious about what actual engineering looks like as opposed to the homosexual "software development/engineering" field
>>
>>16351118
I went to university for chemical engineering, ended up doing physics instead and then turned to what is basically physical chemistry.

I think I would have had a big "what if" about my life had I done ChemEng, I found this way much more intellectually satisfying. In terms of just getting a job however it definitely would have been easier to do any flavor of engineering.
>>
>>16351194
It's mostly fucking around with excel sheets while listening to Korn on your headphones.
>>
Why the fuck did I get a math PhD? I thought I was safe with my backup in software development. How horrifically wrong I was. Living with my parents at 35 and pursuing a teacher's certificate. The kids bully me because they know I am a loser. Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>16351220
You were had. If this general teaches anyone anything, it should be that you really should not pursue a math PhD. Seek a masters in comp sci meant to math BAs or something (there are a ton for specifically that) and do a mathy compsci PhD if you want that title.

"Do NOT do a math PhD" should honestly be pinned in this general.
>>
File: ikacy9dlzvi51.jpg (34 KB, 640x427)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>16351235
We went from
>any job I want
>300k starting

to
>day 9123 of unemployment

That said, I don't know if the math PhD anon is some absolute specimen.
>>
>>16351220
I am not a phd in math and Idk if I want to be, but certainly nobody gives a shit about my masters. all those corporate drones care about is whatever certification is trending on linkeding.

>>16351203
so you found a job after doing a degree in a "pure science" gg anon happy to hear that some people make it
>>
>>16351282
>all those corporate drones care about is whatever certification is trending on linkeding.
Never understood the appeal of these things. A single MCQ exam gives more skills than a research degree?
>>
>>16351118
there are no differences at all between those two, in fact there's no difference between that and math
>>
>>16351235
it's okay to do a math PhD as long as you work in insurance or data science afterwards
>>
>>16351315
insurance salaries are kind of low and there's not a lot of upward mobility. plus the mathematics of insurance is very simple.

data science seems these days to be more about drawing nice plots, the mathematics and statistics of it, in practice, are even simpler.

I guess quant work and ai research is very well paid these days, but nobody wants me because I don't have 10 years of backend engineering with python or someshit, as if you can expect a mathematician to have all the skills of an experienced web developer, or vice versa. the recruiting people and the managers are absolutely delusional
>>
>>16351320
You're a moron. That's why your life sucks. You started out bitching about not having a job and now you're pivoting into saying entire sectors of the job market are "too simple" for you. You're a grandiose douchebag, which probably comes across in interviews as well. You have no coherent plan, which suggests low intelligence despite whatever credentials you might have scammed your way into obtaining.
>>
>>16351320
we expect a math PhD to be puke python machine learning on demand.

Because math degree = all non software development programming
>>
Years ago I studied math (concentration in statistics). I subsequently obtained graduate degrees in epidemiology. I currently work in pharma and am quite happy.
Do what you will with this information.
>t., board tourist
>>
>>16351320
I used to have similar thoughts to this but I realized it wasn't very productive. Even if the mathematics of it is simple, I find a lot of the applications of AI research very interesting, so I've been learning it on my own and doing my own amateur projects. As they say, anything worth doing is still worth doing poorly. Better than sitting around truly wasting my time spamming HR people hoping to get lucky.
>>
What are some non-competitive options for a math phd?
>>
>>16351313
you forgot the "up to isomorphism"
>>
>>16350761
My uni has a collaboration with them, I already went to CERN for 5ECTS for my bachelors. If I do a masters in particle physics I can do another 6 for research and a thesis there. So surely getting a PhD placement there isnt that hard? Seems like if you go to an European university you can get in with some work
>>
>>16351375
backend cloud ai developer
>>
>>16351392
ok. i guess i should get some certs then?
>>
>>16348210
>Freedom and independence of other professors
>No publish or perish treadmill
>Get to research whatever I want on the side
>>"B-bbut" what about muh contracts
If you're not an autistic sperg and can teach well it's hard to get replaced
>>
>>16351569
Maybe this varies by place but where I am, teaching professors aren't really a thing. Since professors can do whatever once they get tenure, some essentially cease research. But to get there they had to go through the academia hoops for decades just like everyone else. On the other hand, even if you only wanted to do research you will be expected to give lectures if you are or intend to become a professor. I suppose the idea is to avoid the fabled "those who can't do, teach" situation.

Anyway, by the time you get tenure in this day and age you'll have been a PhD student for 3-6 years, a postdoc for 2-5 years, ??? years in a non-tenure track position and then 5-10 years in tenure track before becoming a full professor. Maybe you can stop research at some point along the way, but then you probably won't get promoted any further, and you better have reached whatever stage you get a permanent contract at.

So you certainly will get to live, breathe and shit the publish or perish, grant grinding, brown-nosing, low-income shit contract lifestyle until your hair falls out before you get to this chill teaching only existence.
>>
physics major, minor in computer science? what do you guys think. i really dont like programming
>>
>>16351604
I'm pretty sure at most large state schools there's an entire subset of professors on a "teaching track" that mirrors the tenure track except they don't get real job stability and basically treated like second class citizens
>>
>>16351622
>i really dont like programming
Why minor in computer science then?
>>
>>16351664
because a lot of people doomsaying that physics isnt marketable
>>
>>16351667
They're not wrong but if you don't like programming it seems like a poor idea to take a minor you don't want. Fundamentally most things in university do not directly translate into a job unless it is a form of engineering, law, or medicine. And engineering is relatively competitive so it's not like jobs are guaranteed there either. You could try leaning hard into experiments on physics and look for work that way.
>>
>>16351622
It definitely increases your employability by a lot compared to just a physics major. I think it is a good idea and I wish I had done it myself. There's also the point that even if your job isn't programming, most physics jobs do require you to write some code and physicists who can't program are at a significant disadvantage. You don't have to make programming the only or even the main aspect of your job, but it definitely helps to know it properly, and a CS degree is an easy way to convince employers you at least know the basics.

>>16351695
>You could try leaning hard into experiments on physics and look for work that way
I don't recommend doing this at the undergrad level. You'll just become a shitty physicist if you avoid theory in undergrad. Most of the jobs they'd hire an experimental physicist for are PhD level anyway. It's really hard to get the kind of exposure that allows you to know what you're doing with experiments without doing proper, long research projects.
>>
>>16351326
you're not necesarily wrong about some of what you've said, but my life doesn't suck, i guess you're projecting. I just said I'm not succesful in interviews for whatever reasons. I do just fine doing other entreprenurial stuff but I know that the juicy paydays are in these fields if you can get into it and perform decently
>>
>>16351326
although I surely do come off as a douche in interviews, I can't be a fake suck up like you or most of prospective corporate drones going into it
>>
If you're asian you should do math and physics.

If you're white you shouldn't do those things, instead you should do construction and maybe engineering if you don't like construction.
>>
>>16351846
I agree but how come you reached this conclusion. btw indians are asians too, you can't escape the indianafication of tech
>>
>>16351859
NTA but physics and maths are more structured and rigid, very much group think with an emphasis on consensus. Construction and Engineering requires out of the box and unorthodox solutions where you are the fall guy if shit goes sideways.
>>
File: os.jpg (1.12 MB, 850x1100)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
I'm currently 23, going to be 24 when I graduate. Math BSc. Should I go for Masters and PhD, or am I too old?
I fear I will be just a mediocre mathematician at best.
But I really love math.
>>
>>16351911
I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again.

YOU WILL NEVER RETIRE AS A WHITE COLLAR PROFESSIONAL.

You are going to be doing this job till you either die or get dementia. You are going to hit 55 or so and then all your colleagues you’ve met will phone you up and offer you some part time consulting gig for a ridiculous amount of money that you can’t turn down unless you go full fuckitall mode. That means that even if you graduate at 30, you still have 35+ fucking years of career ahead of you. You fucking around and wasting a bit of time in your twenties is supremely inconsequential.
>>
>>16351859
indians are not the same types of asians.
their way of using tech is maintenance and boilerplate based, its BSc level not PhD level and never will be.
>>
>>16351911
You'll be 29 when you finish your PhD so if you want to be a tranime, you should get it out of your system during all this education by end of the PhD, if you want a normal life.
>>
>>16351911
Math BS does not go very far. You ought to at least do a master's in something other than math. There are CS MS programs for math bachelors. I would do one of those.
>>
>>16351911
I messed around with physics and cs before getting into math so I finished my math BSc. at 25. You'll be fine. unless you're at an ivy statistically you were always meant to be a mediocre mathematician. Just pick a well funded program you should not be going into debt for a math degree.
>>
>>16349522
I have the opposite problem where I have too much experience for a grad job so they went with someone less experience (they called it having a more rounded experience). HR can spin it whichever way they want to justify their hiring decisions. There's no sure fire way to get employed.
>>
Are there any engineers that employ the principles of data science for their day to day job. I've acquired considerable amount of experience working with big data but that does not translate well into the job market - at least from my experience. Would it be practical to keep honing those skills and market them to my future employer if I do not want to pivot into tech?
>>
>>16352261
To add to my post, I've got certifications and professional work experience associated with the data science roles. I can't seem to find jobs where these subset of skills can be useful.
>>
>>16352264
Have you thought of some kind of data analysis job (industrial engineering, systems planning, financial/business intelligence)? Data science is very tech-oriented, but most of the statistical interpretation skills you get from it can be applied onto a lot of different jobs, mostly white-collar management/consulting-type jobs.
>>
>>16351204
Not that Anon, but aren't there any jobs where you can code in Matlab while listening to 1990s gangsta rap music?
Or is Matlab just for students and researchfags?
>>
File: unis-1536x864.jpg (47 KB, 378x288)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>be in penultimate year doing engineering at top 10 university in my country with decent GPA (3.7/4.0)
>zero call backs for internship and grad level jobs
>panic.jpg
>attend literally every networking event and career fair in my city including other universities
>paid $150 for an event organized by my uni club to get the privilege to mingle with reps from big companies in my city
>everyone who turned up to the event seems already well acquainted with the suits
>get zero call backs because nobody there is interested in letting some outsider into their circle
That day I found out that engineering is just another boys club. Meritocracy is dead. Change my mind.
>>
Anyone here work on HPCs?
Why is the scientific codebase such spaghetti.
The alphafold knockoffs like RoseTTAFold and RFDiffusion are cool but man the stuff we find going through the repos is wild.
>>
>>16352317
You're not wrong but also if you weren't socially autistic you would have made connections and had friendly interactions with people during all these events.
>>
>>16351367
Epidemiology is quite stats focused.
That's a nice transition path. Thank you for sharing anon.
>>16352334
Because most of these programs, especially in biology, are meant to just werk, albeit barely.
You'd need a software engineer to clean it up.
>>
>>16352338
>That's a nice transition path

We should all support each other in our transition journey. Many of us identify as professionals and experts while the narrow-minded hegemony fails to validate us, instead forcing upon us traditional labels like "student" or "unemployed schizophrenic". It's 2024, your professional identity isn't solely determined by your CV or credentials and it's high time the world recognize this.

My preferred title is Vice President and I'll thank you to refer to me as such.
>>
>>16352336
I never said I was socially autistic enough to not land an interview considering I was able to get one shortly after attending another networking night at another uni. I was upset for paying a premium for a time waster at $150 when everyone else is already well connected due to uni club or/and family/friends and wouldn't give you the time of their day because they already know the people they wanted to hire. No qualms if the event of free of charge because the food and drinks were good.
>>
>>16352371
if the event was free of charge*
>>
>>16352369
Although I have yet to transition, I understand their sentiment in doing so.
Indeed, we aren't bound by brief writings described in CVs, nor slaves tied to accreditations defined in the form of printed paper. We are, after all, Homo sapiens, an organism with the potential to strive through our advanced intellect.
We have to shine brightly and reach for the stars!
>>
>>16352317
There is a base level of networking you were expected to do. I would honestly join a relevant club right now and try to network that way.
>>
>>16351788
>>16351791
Be sure to put all that on your welfare application.
Just remember mommy isn't going to live forever.
>>
>>16351622
If you’re really set on the physics major (bad idea), then for the love of god yes at least minor in CS. Without programming skills you will be unemployable.

I was like you, only I majored in applied math and stats. I hated programming but was forced to take a couple of classes in it for my BS. It grows on you after you start to get good at it, and eventually it even becomes enjoyable. Without my coding skills I would be completely unemployable. Just force yourself to keep at it until you get good.

You simply can’t get by with just great math (physics) skills anymore. You need to be able to program. Unless you go for engineering (physics major but will actually get you a job).

Seriously though if it’s not too late, don’t fucking major in physics man. If you really like physics itself, do one of the engineering disciplines. If you more enjoy the math element of physics, go for statistics or CS or even applied math. The only thing as bad as a pure physics degree is a pure math degree.
>>
>>16352853
tbqhon you don't even really need to minor in CS if you don't need to, >>16351622. i did computational solid-state research and did some optimization work for comp chem software on the university's computing cluster, which gave me some resume items, LORs, and actual experience w/ academic/industry software (stuff that matters more than just coursework) that's made me competitive with CS BS holders for jobs i don't even want (i continued on to a high-tier physics phd program, which my work also prepared me well for)
>>
>>16352873
Gambling your future on the chance that you'll be able to do undergrad research that industry actually cares about isn't good advice in my opinion. Either way my point still stands as you got programming experience through your research as opposed to courses.

>>16351622
One last thing, as I saw more posts above where you said that everyone is doomsaying about physics. You should listen to them. You sound like you're pretty young on the traditional HS to college path. Whatever autistic and naive ideas you have in your head about getting a physics degree and becoming the next Oppenheimer or some shit, cast them aside. It's incredibly unlikely you'll give a shit about any of that in about 8 years time (not much in the course of your life).

By then you'll be concerned with your salary, paying bills/rent, and finding a wife to settle down with (like almost all men after they mature in adulthood). If you ignore the advice of all the anon's here telling you to ditch physics it's quite likely it'll be the single greatest regret of your life by then.

You won't be able to pay rent so you'll either live with your parents or have roommates. You won't be an attractive dating prospect to women. Or maybe you'll dig even deeper into the pit and decide to go for a PhD, and you'll be in the same situation, deciding if you can afford to eat meat this week on your stipend or postdoc wage.

And you'll look around at other STEM degree-holders that are able to pay their own rent, attract women through their social status and money and do things for fun that cost money. Some of them will even be getting ready to put money down on a house. And you'll realize that you could've easily had that too, getting a degree quite similar to physics, for the same amount or even less effort. And you'll think back to this moment.

Don't become like that anon posting that it's day 247 of unemployment after getting a math PhD. Listen to people with more experience.
>>
>>16352916
>gambling your future on undergrad research industry actually cares about
what do you think people do in internships? i got several job offers out of undergrad w/ my resume w/o working in industry.

>my point still stands
i wasn't contradicting you lmfao.
>>
>>16352916
>Don't become like that anon posting that it's day 247 of unemployment after getting a math PhD. Listen to people with more experience.
I'm that anon and I agree 100%. Get the engineering degree.
>>
>>16353041
Getting an engineering degree sure as hell didn't help me. The tech sector is oversaturarated.
>>
>>16351911
>am I too old?
Your age isn't an issue at all you could be 10 years older and that would still be fine.
>I fear I will be just a mediocre mathematician at best
Again, nothing to do with your age, do you care about being a "great mathematician" that much? Because that might as well never happen, not even if you were a genius and started studying when you were a toddler.
That said, you can (with effort and perseverance) become a perfectly good mathematician, which should be all a mathematician should aim for.
>But I really love math
Then prove it and stop worrying about things you will never have any certainty of by just thinking about them.
Your doubts stem from your insecurities, which are perfectly normal but still something to be aware of.
>>
>>16352916
>everyone is doomsaying about physics. You should listen to them
That's great advice, listen to doomposters, they have your best interest in mind and aren't just depressed and negative all the time in a way that's a genuine disability and a horrible influence for everyone else around them (if they make the mistake of listening to them).
>paying bills/rent
Any job works.
>finding a wife to settle down with (like almost all men after they mature in adulthood)
Projecting a bit? Nonetheless, how does pursuing your interests hinders you there? If you really are desperate to find a woman and for some reason you feel like you have to be a millionaire to do it, sure, it just doesn't apply to everyone does it?
>You won't be able to pay rent
Everyone else will, but not him specifically because you said so.
>You won't be an attractive dating prospect to women
If you're so desperate for sex you can just pay for it. If a woman won't date you because you don't make enough money, but she'd date you if you made more, that's not a woman I'd want, but you do you.
>And you'll look around at other STEM degree-holders bla bla bla
Ok so you're comparing yourself to others and being jealous, and you think the way to address that is to get more money and avoid doing what you like because it doesn't pay enough, cool.
>Don't become like that anon posting that it's day 247 of unemployment after getting a math PhD
What impact does one autistic guy spamming on 4chan have? Do you really consider getting scared by online doomposters into doing something you have no interest in "listening to people with more experience"?
>>
>>16353065
>If you're so desperate for sex you can just pay for it.
I'm desperate for sex, where do I pay for it?
>>
>>16353065
I live with my girlfriend, have already for several years. Had another LTR before this one too in which we also lived together for over a year. So I'm not projecting, I'm looking around at my friends who are still single and observing them become increasingly desperate to find a woman as we enter our late 20s. Guys that didn't care about that shit at all during college years and earlier.
>Doomposts regarding physics degrees are legitimate, therefore ALL doomposting is legitimate.
You are actually retarded.
>Any job works for paying bills/rent
Yep, you've never had bills to pay. Or if you have, you've never financially struggled in your life. Or you simply have no ambition and are content with being a bugman.
>Everyone else will be able to pay rent, but not him specifically because I said so
What are you on about? Are you seriously arguing that pursuing pure physics has good career outcomes on average? It's a meme on STEM campuses for a reason.
>If a woman won't date you because you don't make enough money, that's not a woman I'd want
Here you go again taking something I said and taking it to the extreme. You should avoid gold-diggers, obviously. But like it or not women are attracted to men who can provide for them and their potential children. It's basic evolutionary psychology. Of course this is on AVERAGE, since apparently I have to spell it out for you that I'm not saying this is absolutely 100% universal.
>Get more money and avoid doing what you like
Hmm if only I recommended pursuing fields that have significant overlap with physics, such that someone who enjoys physics would almost certainly be interested in them and actually make money as well.
>Comparing yourself to others and being jealous
You're right that you should avoid doing this in the extreme, however comparing yourself to your peer group is an effective way to gauge your success. Doing so and realizing you made a mistake is not jealousy, it's self-reflection.

Naive idiot.
>>
>>16353028
I'm glad it worked out for you, I'm only saying that it seems like your experience is a pretty rare one that relies on being at the right place at the right time to get into the right research groups.
>What do you think people do in internships?
Solve industry problems, that's what I did in my industry internship. That seems to be the norm.
>I wasn't contradicting you lmfao
Didn't think you were, I was just reiterating my point.
>>
How big of a step back should I take for a comfy job?
I'm took a $25k pay cut to go to a comfy job.
I like it but I have no benefits or retirement.
>>
>>16353185
>>16352916

This is some blackpill incel type of thinking you're putting on display here. No functioning adult writes this kind of drivel where you overindulge and fantasize about someone's would-be misery. Directing it at young people as some sort of advice is particularly damning.
>>
>>16351791
>I let my huge ego cuck me out of getting employed
low IQ
>>
>>16353260
I did that for a few years, but the perks were fucking amazing. It was an American subsidiary of a Dutch company. Unlimited PTO, zero health insurance premiums, loads of travel to cool places with a liberal expense budget (I asked how much per diem I should be budgeting for and our CFO said “lol be reasonable” as he ordered a bottle of pink champagne and a $200 seafood tower in Vegas. 9-3, 2 hour lunches where my boss would take us out for martinis at 12:30 in the afternoon. Funnest job I ever had. Buuuut, pay was shit compared to what I could be making. Euro bros, is that normal for Euro companies?
>>
>>16353300
Your weakness was like watching a baby suffer in a glass box illusion
>>
>>16353046
Bruh if you can’t get an entry level engineering gig you are not looking in the right places. Pretty sure you think yourself above doing rinky dink bullshit like HVAC or Power or some other equally boring field.
>>
>>16351194
90% of engineering is cook book style where you build a spreadsheet to grind through design calcs, you then jump into blubeam and mark up a PDF to kick over to the drafters for them to do up in revit. Rinse repeat that exercise 2-3 times until you got a final drafting/model deliverable. Then you’ll do up some specifications for all your hardware to send out to various contractors, manage the RFQ process to get your customer the best deal. And then once you got specs, drawings, quotes, and material quantities, you’ll have a couple guys stamp the whole package and shove it out for permitting. At that point you haggle back and forth with the AHJ about what’s good and what’s not, make some changes and get the blessing from the AHJ so you can pull permit. THEN you kinda hang out and wait for the contractors and trades to come back to you with constructibility issues or questions, sign of on design changes and basically be an information resource till commissioning happens and the project closes out.
>>
>>16352597
I've exhausted all options including trying to join a student society/uni club before forking out money for this sort of events. Mind you the process of getting into the club at my uni usually follows the these steps:
>1. submit your EOI via google doc
>2. submit your resume
>3. pre-interview with club leaders
>4. interview with chapters/execs
It's almost as exhausting as applying for real jobs but I did it anyway only to end up facing yet another rejection without reason.
>inb4 stop being ugly
>>
>>16353302
Wdym?
>>
>>16353318
Interesting. My interests were extremely niche, so the process of joining a club for me was: "You have a car when all two of the people who had a car aged out and we need to transport people? You are in."
>>
>>16353318
Dude, you can get a student membership to ASME, ASHRAE, IEEE, etc for like $25 and they invite you to all kinds of events and dinners. Skip the dime bag next time and get one.
>>
>>16353315
Found you
>>
>>16353328
Not really, that’s the workflow for most design engineers. Maintenance and Operations is a bit more chaotic and exciting but if you do your job right, shit rarely breaks.
>>
>>16353315
And this is also assuming you don’t have software like Carrier HAP, PipeFlo, EZPower, etc and then your job is playing autistic video games. Once you got a basic set of spreadsheets and specs you simply go in and modify them for the particular project. First 3 years are the worst where you find footing and figure out how shit goes. After that it’s snoresville.
>>
>>16353334
>Maintenance and Operations is a bit more chaotic and exciting but if you do your job right, shit rarely breaks.
I went from M&O to design engineering thinking it will be a much more worthwhile career. Did I fuck up?
>>
>got the tenure track position
We all gonna make it bros
>>
>>16353695
where? in what? How did it go?
>>
>>16352334
oooh! me! me! me! i do!
every fucking program sucks ass for this. i work w/ comp phys packages and docs and shit are absolutely horrible to work through. my institution's cluster has a team set up to dig through new modules as they're installed and write up custom documentation. it's a good exercise in parsing fortran/perl/C/python/bash/whatever, but holy shit some of these monsters cannot clean up their code for shit.
>>
Got a job as an associate test/V&V engineer (it’s really SW/QA role but we’re mostly all ECE engineers since it’s a very technical and complex engineering project). Been here, say, 1 year and 3-4 months. I’m having a good time but I Was planning on switching positions to (propulsion) controls or systems eng since I have a masters that covered both of those fields.

Everyone I know of (even the most skilled in the group) took over 3 years to get promoted to Intermediate engineer. Manager does not hand out promotions to half-competent people that don’t have much drive and can’t work independently.

Well I had my mid year review and my manager said a word I wasn’t expecting, “promotion”. Says he can’t make promises but I’m being heavily considered and he’s giving me a heads up because he regrets the times he didn’t and the employee left the group early (they told him they would have stayed if they knew). I figured my manager disliked me since I’m extremely “detailed oriented” (in a way that has thus far added significant overhead/cost to the group), which I thought was code word for Autistic, especially since I’m not always agreeable (willing to argue with even our advisor engineers). Maybe he’s actually helping me prepare to leave (nobody ever gets fired here).

That would put me at Intermediate after only 1 year and 10 months, which as far as I’m aware is a group record. But I’m still asking myself the eternal question: Should I stay or should I go? Do you stick out worse conditions (it’s not that bad but I have been putting in 45-55 hours a week) for a promotion and learn everything you can, or just hop right to the passion position if you can help it?
>>
File: 1715550713100244.png (882 B, 230x240)
882 B
882 B PNG
During my PhD I got a total of 9 publications, of which I was first author on 2, of which one was in arguably the top journal in the field (below Nature/Science) and the other one less bombastic but still respectable.

This was a while back and a bunch of shit went wrong which I had zero control over. I was writing these papers by myself with no oversight from a supervisor or even postdocs, one year of my four-year PhD was spent not being able to access the lab or do anything. It was all horribly inefficient and unpleasant.

I still feel shit when I compare myself to others, and it basically forced me out of academia. I did a postdoc because I wanted to try being in an actual research group, everyone around me had twice the publications and I saw the writing on the wall. And that went to shit for different reasons.

Industry now. Can't wait to see how this one get fucked up.
>>
>>16353668
Nah, there’s more money and better career progression as a designer. Get your PE, stuff a binder with all your stamped drawings, and go do whatever else you want. Even if you don’t do it forever, being an Engineer of Record is a good resume bullet.
>>
>>16354312
Good blog, but was there any ask?
>>
File: cv.png (52 KB, 1068x297)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
>>16354506
A good researcher supplies stories that the community is interested in, even if the community doesn't explicitly know to ask for it

I am not a good researcher
>>
>>16354312
Not bad, it could be worse. Be me
>get in on a hot field
>big field but early days, get sucked into a dead end
>not too many publications
>got my PhD
>field is sitll hot, got two postdoc contracts
>entire field implodes!
>career tanking left, right and centre, some survive but jumping to a neighbouring field
>leave for industry
>miraculously get a real job and a paid career

Looking back, the time as a researcher wasn't too mad, got useful skills. Searching LinkedIn show sthat many that went elsewhere in academia didn't really do all that well.
The morals of the tale is that it is amazing what you can survive.
>>
My life sucks. STEM career was supposed to be my salvation.
>>
File: ConfyDog.webm (1.5 MB, 720x720)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB WEBM
>>16354759
It is tough for everyone, but you have a better starting point than most people do.
So hang on in there, anon, and meanwhile please enjoy a comfy dog.
>>
File: 54du70.jpg (84 KB, 300x300)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>16354777
My STEM dream turned into....
my STEM nightmare...
>>
File: 1724969466140910.webm (3.78 MB, 720x1280)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB WEBM
>>16354782
WAGMI, anon, WAGMI.
>>
>>16353046
Fucking this. Seeing people suggesting to “get an engineering degree” like it’s some golden ticket sounds like other stem-fags acting like the grass is greener. Pretty much every BS degree is fucked right now.
>>
>>16348221
/sci/tarda will look at some 80y/o Caltech professor emeritus with an h-index of 200 after six years and feel like they haven’t accomplished anything.

Feel free to an hero.
>>
>>16355095
More like 25 y/o MIT PhDs with an h-index of 12. And 27 y/o random wherever postdocs with an h-index of 10. Thank you for the advice but rather than rope I just got a real job though.
>>
File: 1690884868928.jpg (124 KB, 1033x802)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
Is this true?
>>
>>16355340
yeah but what it forgot to mention is that your bsc means nothing so PhD is necessary
>>
>>16355340
>Get exposure
Aka get paid shit to do something when so many others went into industry with just MS and get paid very well.
>Grow your career
There is some truth there in that if you have a lot of research experience, research jobs in industry will basically treat PhDs like 6 yoe, which is enough to no longer be in the junior pool that there is too much supply of.

>Develop Hard Skills
Very true. This is the point.

>Develop Soft Skills
Also true as you will need to kiss a lot of asses and teach undergrad kids.

>Grow your professional network
True, but perhaps not the best network if you intend to go into industry

>Contribute to the body of knowledge
Hopefully.

>Develop thick skin
Yes, but also true for industry.

>Become a problem solver
Lol no, you have to do what you are told.

>Get paid to learn
Get paid TERRIBLY to learn.

>Get the title doctor
Only used by Humanities types.
>>
>>16355403
>he doesn't have a BSc (3 years) + MSc (2 years) + PhD (4 years)
I (will) credential-mog you, you burger
>>
>>16355418
I have that and I am also working on a second master's in education to get a teaching license. In my country they put PhDs in a 1 year master's program before they are allowed to teach high school.
>>
Best degree to get to avoid working?
>>
>>16355418
if you have a masters a PhD is only 3 years not 4.
4 year PhDs are for 4 year bachelor's fags
>>
>>16355493
nope.
>t. just started a 4 y PhD after 3+2 in uni
we europeans are just built different. PhD can be both 3 and 4 years, 4 year long ones are more common in my experience and field
>>
>>16355494
>>16355493
Standard is:
Bachelor 180 ECTS
Master's 120 ECTS
PhD 240 ECTS
Often a PhD will involve teaching duties, making the standard duration 5+ years
>>
>>16355494
that sucks, we don't do that in Sweden.

>>16355499
people are often done with everything within 8 years.
>>
Should I get a PhD in bioinformatics?
I'm about to ditch my 70k a year tech job to do a 50k a year PhD.

This is all before taxes of course. I'll be making peanuts after taxes and the mortgage.
>>
>>16347256
Pharma guy here - with a BS in bio you can start out making 70k and after about 4 or 5 years make 100k just doing basic lab shit
>>
>>16355531
find a better tech position you stoopid
>>16355516
>we don't do that in Sweden
yes you do, just checked. Maybe your field doesn't.
>>
>>16355536
yeah maybe 20 years ago. Not happening today, MAYBE you'll get an entry job with an MSc in Pharmacology. Your experience is NOT the norm.
>>
>>16355536
I've never heard of anyone finding a job with only a BS in bio.
>>
>>16355538
no I hate being in technology, I'm not even a real coder

I should do a PhD to feel more educated
>>
>>16355547
you should do it only uf you think you can get back to tech after it, this way you'll get paid big bucks. If not, it's a financially retarded decision to go from the industry to research, who the fuck does that, maybe if you are a bored and rich, and the latter doesn't seem the case for you. Just look for a different position elsewhere doing something that you'll like more
>>
>>16355550
but doesn't a PhD give you a bigger boost than wageslaving 3 years?
>>
>>16355576
IF you land a job in industry or manage to become a professor, and it's a very big IF, not guaranteed at all. There's so many PhD's at the moment and a fraction of jobs requiring them, the competition is insane. You could regret leaving your current position for a PhD
>>
>>16355531
Depends on where you want to end up and whether a PhD will get you there better than the equivalent amount of work experience. It's broadly true that there are some industry jobs which require a PhD, but sometimes the requirement is a PhD or several years of industry experience.

>>16355582
Considering anon already has an industry job without a PhD, he'll probably be fine.
>>
>>16355468
Probably astrophysics, simply because there are hardly any jobs you could get.
>>
>>16350761
solid state is better. probably just as if not more popular than particle, and there's always work in solid state.
>>
>>16355943
How are you faggot engineer graduates not getting jobs? It’s so open right now. Just do HVAC or Power or simple process design or structural shit. It’s so easy, holy fuck.
>>
>control + F
>"phd"
>73 results found
jesus christ this general is fucking dead.
Can all of you faggot status strivers go back to readit or something? Every iteration of this general is full of morons talking about fucking phds.
Maybe we need a separate general or something.
>>
I can't find a job in my hometown. Everyone says that relocating can help you find a job. Is a company really going to want to hire me if I'm just average and ALSO am from out of state?
>>
>>16356178
>73 results found
Sure. And it is not a problem with this thread, it is rather a problem with out society that has lazy HR departments that filter out anyone short of a Master's degree.

>Maybe we need a separate general or something.
Something?
>>
>>16356178
>STEM career general
>complain about PhDs, one of the most common STEM career paths
>>
Crosspost from >>>/adv/31926892

>be me, a second-year undergraduate
>applied to two research opportunities before
>one of them told me there were no space for me and the other ghosted me
>discover one particular lab that i'm really, really interested in
>desperate to get into this research group as an inexperienced undergraduate
>email the principal investigator of the lab on Friday at 6 pm
>no reply yet

How long should I wait before reasonably concluding the principal investigator has ghosted me? What else can I do to optimize my chances? I am extremely eager to join this lab, despite lacking direct experience in the field (although I am pursuing a relevant major).
>>
>emailing at 6pm on a Friday
I hope you get an abusive PI, 007 grad school and burn out.
>>
>>16356473
>email the principal investigator of the lab on Friday at 6 pm

Why would you do this? You email's in the pile now, boyo. PI will sort it alongside other accumulated email when he can be arsed, if he remembers. I'd wait a week before chasing up, although don't send the follow-up email on a Friday evening (or the weekend, in case this needed to be explicitly stated).

As for optimizing your chances, you probably won't have much experience and that is fine of course given the stage you're at. The PI will be looking for the following: 1) The requisite knowledge to somewhat understand the research they do 2) Any indication that you're not insane or incompetent enough to be a hazard or annoyance 3) Motivation to actually do things, possibly linked to this contributing to what you want to do in the future.

However not all labs are able to take undergrads at all times. They'll need to have a suitable project for you to do/help on, someone to supervise you in the lab, maybe some funds allocated.
>>
>>16356473
Researchers aren't sitting at their computers 24/7 hoping for an application from you. I've had some reply in minutes, some reply in months. The trick is to apply to a lot of places so that by the time you are obliged to make a decision, you have options.
Also this:
>>16356480
>>
>>16356473
>>email the principal investigator of the lab on Friday at 6 pm
do it Monday morning, that's when they reply
>>
More bad news for students in teh UK:
>Universities, like banks, are too big to fail
>The UK’s higher education sector is in crisis — but they can draw solutions from financial institutions
And that helps??
https://archive.is/CEe4b
>With nearly half of UK universities operating at a loss and a handful in serious financial difficulty, education secretary Bridget Phillipson recently said she expected them to manage “without seeking any calls on the taxpayer”. This uncompromising message was reinforced by skills minister Baroness Jacqui Smith who bluntly said she would allow a university to go bust “if it were necessary”.
>The collapse of even a handful of the UK’s 140-plus universities would not have the same cataclysmic effect as a run on the banks but the consequences would be serious.
>Institutional failure would leave a nightmare of liabilities. Should debt for unfinished courses be written off? Would alumni demand compensation for reputational damage?
>But this is not just a local issue. Fees paid by overseas students subsidise both university research and the teaching of British ones. The funding model depends on them — without international scholars the whole system would unravel. In a globally competitive market, this would be a real risk of even a single unsupported institutional failure.
>>
>>16357183
>they can draw solutions from financial institutions
Like what? Government bailout?

>If one or more higher education institutions were to collapse, the government would have little option but to step in to protect the wider reputation of one of the UK’s globally successful industries — regardless of what ministers are currently saying.
Oh, so exactly that is their secret solution.

>Crisis-hit universities are paying the price for over-optimistic strategies set after tuition fees were trebled at a stroke in 2012. Teaching became a profitable activity and in a dash for growth — with government encouragement — universities expanded campuses and student facilities, often funded by selling off assets such as student halls and borrowing at low interest rates. Some overdid it, putting no contingency in place for rising rates and a tougher environment.
Having studied in the UK from 2014 onwards, they certainly were enjoying their money and spending it on everything short of a monorail. Suddenly upper management had FTSE CEO salaries, universities were buying land and building all kinds of shit (although notably not student accommodation usually), every administrator was redundant twice over. That they'd be complaining about being out of money so soon after means they deserve it.

The UK higher education sector has in essence cashed out its reputation. They now complain about losing money on every domestic student and prioritize foreign paypiggies. These are all oligarchs or Asians because nobody normal can afford the fees. From a researcher point of view, the salaries are beyond pathetic and there is no money for anything. Between the huge fees, low salaries and post-Brexit bureaucracy any capable first-worlder might as well go to the US instead. Nobody in my country wants to study in the UK anymore, whereas it was very popular pre-Brexit, and mostly it was the brighter kids who went.
>>
>>16356194
It's a bigger risk because you might miss your mommy and quit.
>>
>>16357212
Government bailouts are their wet dream, it gives them more leverage in the so-called "private sector" and an official excuse to continue their fusion of government and business. One could almost say government bailouts are actually the goal.
>>
Should I do Bionformatics, Clinical Informatics, Computational Biology ore related fields to make up for failing med school?
>>
>>16357388
Should mention I have 3 years of experience already in inpatient setting, don’t want it to go to waste
>>
File: be like a floppy disk.jpg (8 KB, 225x225)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
Have you been rejected from a job because you were overqualified?

For myself, I keep getting interviews for jobs outside my field but not the ones I have proven experience in. What a strange world we live in.
>>
Does anyone here with a PhD actually not regret having one and/or it turned out well for them?
I'm not even a week into my PhD program and I'm already having a bad feeling about it. I was thinking of seeing how the industry I'm hoping to have a career in is doing after two years. If it's doing bad with no signs of recovery, I'm mastering out and doing something else with my life. I was thinking about joining the Air Force, getting a comfy job, and counting the years to retirement. If the industry is doing well, then I would most likely stay and finish my PhD.
>>
>>16354312
>>16354506
I for one I it when people blogpost. This general always had blogposts. Industry pays more and you do less work so I think he'll do fine.
>>
>>16357388
>>16357402
What career do you have in mind now? Would you mind going back to med school and doing something relatively easy like general medicine?
If you're a jeet try to do something digestion related because you'll work with feces.
>>
>>16357622
I think that sounds like a good plan. I really wanted to join the airforce as a relevant officer job after MS then go into industry thereafter, but I could not due to medical standards (congenital defect).
>>
>PhD PhD PhD
>Sar, are you having PhD sar?
>>
>>16357724
it's a general about STEM careers.
PhD's correlate with IQ, so it's basically revealing the HIGH IQ environment that /scg/ is
>>
>>16357622
I have a year left in BSME, but I am planning on joining as a submarine officer since I really don't want to do engineering work immediately after college.
>>
>>16357627
Nah at this point I fucked it up to the point where I wont graduate or finish residency until I’m 40

I thought Bioinformatics would be cool, maybe I’d get involved in cancer research or something
>>
>>16357726
>PhD's correlate with IQ
Yeah, sure. Maybe in 1912.
>>
>>16357817
People who brag about IQ are losers - Stephen Hawking
>>
Has anyone here seriously considered getting a career that is not technical heavy?
I am considering becoming a fundamentals trader. The work involves a lot of reading of financial statements, Excel skills and some background knowledge in finance.
However, the complexity and math involved is just about high school level. Nothing like quant trading.
Despite this, the pay is comparable at top employers like Brookfield and Blackstone.
There is a real chance of being pigeonholed for the rest of your career, but is this a risk I should take? Not that I have an offer on the table but just wondering.

>t. currently work in research team at big tech
>>
>>16357869
Hey Jeff, pass me the coke and midget whores - Stephen Hawking
>>
>Postdoc
>4.5kEUR
>Financial Analyst
>80k+
The West has fallen. Capitalism has killed innovation
>>
File: Cao Cao.jpg (30 KB, 333x332)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>16357945
>postdoc
>3.2kEUR gross
>not an eastern yuro state where living is cheap(ish)
At least I'm not in a capital city so my rent is somewhat reasonable. Standard of living, however, is little better than my PhD days.
>>
>>16357945
>>16357993
4.5k for a postdoc? Sign me up. I'm making 4.6k EUR going into industry having done a postdoc already.

For that matter, the more sensible comparison is postdoc vs. tech industry rather than postdoc vs. financial industry.
>>
I won't get my graduate degree in math until I'm 30
I'll end up working as a security guard or something
>>
>3 years since I defended my PhD
>No postdoc yet
It's over
>>
Are there any professor jobs in Latin America?
>>
>>16357622
>I'm not even a week into my PhD program and I'm already having a bad feeling about it.
Quite normal. This is a new world to you, and you will find many strange things are the norm. You will get used to it.
>I was thinking of seeing how the industry I'm hoping to have a career in is doing after two years.
It will still be the pits, the job market takes a lot longer time to recover then the finance markets.
>>
>>16357724
I wanted a math PhD because it was meme'd on /sci/ as being high status. Now I realize the error of my ways.
>>
File: 1704093040285790.jpg (32 KB, 657x527)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>16357945
>>16357993
>>16358035
>PhD
>4.2 k euro gross
eheheheh I'm RICH
>>
I got a job at a startup. It's not an english-speaking country and they don't seem to have figured out all the intricacies related to hiring people.

I looked at my contract and realized my job title is given as "researcher". This didn't worry me at the time, but thinking over it, I'm a bit unsure if this will be correctly interpreted by others reading my resume. I've got a PhD and did a postdoc, and the job involves me independently planning and analyzing things, so is at that level of expertise.

However many of the jobs I find under "researcher" or direct variants thereof are for the equivalent of Masters degree holders, whereas jobs more like mine are commonly "scientist" or "research scientist".

Do you guys think this will be an issue? Should I just write "research scientist" on my CV? Should I ask them to change my job title?
>>
>>16357388
go back to med school, you can do a PhD in these fields later.

first become a doctor, don't do the science thing it's worthless.
>>
>>16358337
>first become a doctor, don't do the science thing it's worthless.
This
>>
>>16357724
pajeets don't do PhDs, they're all doctors anyway.

a pajeet doesn't do something as worthless as a PhD which nobody wants to see on your CV.
>>
>>16357945
>4.5kEUR
>>
>>16358310
It's a nothing burger.
>>
WTF should I do with my life? I have spent 3 years in post-PhD depression. Study physics?
>>
what iq is required to graduate with an EE degree from a semi-respectable program
>>
>>16358416
110-120
>>
>>16358488
that's what I figured/heard from others as well, thanks. back to the factory with me
>>
>>16357622
I'm two years in and about to masters out. If you don't like your mentor and/or you are not highly passionate about your project then it's not worth it.
>>
>>16358385
So I can change the job title I put in my CV so long as what I actually do in my position is a reasonable match with what that job title usually entails?
>>
File: GMQUGnubsAAwvgo.jpg (113 KB, 743x1210)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>16347256
I love Kurisutina
comp sci major btw
>>
Anyone ever notice how no one actually talks about their jobs in this general and it's just 100s of posts from status strivers about trying to get a PhD?
>>
>>16358795
you are so annoying. What do you do? How about you discuss your scientific job? A PhD is the only way to have a career in research, so it's obvious many pursue one. Why are you seething?
>>
>>16358795
>Anyone ever notice how no one actually talks about their jobs in this general
That is wrong.
>>
>>16358416
it takes 90 IQ to be fooled into thinking engineering is a professional degree that guarantees you a job
>>
>>16357911
Bumping my own post
>>
>>16358902
yeah I went into tech and it was not related to my degree at all so I'm heading into a PhD out of desperation so that my degree isn't worthless
>>
>$80/hr
>60 hr weeks with every other Saturday off
>$4k a month in non taxable per diem but this covers all my flights, lodging, car, etc
>on the road for a straight year minimum

Y/N? It’s a lot of money but I dunno if I can handle that level of grind.
>>
>>16358977
If you have no obligations to a spouse/family etc. and are young I would consider doing it for a year. If you can live off the per diem and put your salary into investments, at 20 something, it can be life changing long term.

But not gonna lie, it sounds horrible and I know I couldn't handle those hours. Well, depends on what the work is, I could probably show up but not perform my best. These kinds of things will be less doable once you have a dog/wife/child.
>>
>>16358997
I’d basically be a project manager wrangling trades and vendors for big capital projects once the project is done I move on to the next. So nothing to physically intensive, just being on my feet most of the day.
>>
>>16358977
>I dunno if I can handle that level of grind.
So what the fuck is the point of your question?
Are you expecting us to be able to inform you whether or not you'll be able to handle it?
>>
>>16359030
Wanted to gauge how many anons would take that deal. And by “handle it” I meant more along the lines of “do I want to sacrifice a year of my life and potentially my mental and physical well being for money?”
>>
>>16358977
60hr weeks aren't too much if there is variation. That's my personal opinion, but you know yourself better than anyone else.
>>
currently a senior expected to graduate in the spring for aerospace engineering
i dont have any work experience outside a senior project im about to do
all i see is gloom and doom on the internet (here and elsewhere) about getting a job after graduating without an internship
am i screwed or what?
i know a few propietary softwares and some coding languages, i have a 3.7gpa, but from what i hear, experience is everything
should i start applying to jobs now? and is it true that ill have to apply to hundreds of jobs across the country (USA)
been heavily stressing out about my future so any comments negative or otherwise will be appreciated, so that I at least know what to expect
>>
>>16352317
honestly, work for government
super stable, decent paycheck with benefits, pension, etc.

hard to move up but there's so much brain drain in public sector, they'll hire a trained monkey
>>
>>16359548
AE is pretty similar to MechE. Just apply for a handful of MechE jobs near you and see which one you can get the furthest ahead in on the interview stage.
Also, try to promote any projects/side-interests you got. Even mini-Baja cars, miniature rockets, and drones you might have built for class or clubs at some point might count.
>>
>>16347256
Aerospace engineer student here

So I’ll be graduating in 2027 of May… (I’ve went to a community college since 2022 I think) the reason for was it’s a long story but put it simply
1. A friend used to urge me to ditch classes and shit. He was a fucker who doesn’t know how to take no for a answer

2. Again same guy as above but he fucked a minor and I was there and even dragged my brother and other friends and it mentally burned my mind and still to this day I try to forget

I fucked up two math classes cuz of that time and chemistry rn re taking Precal and trig. Gonna go to Merced UC to get a bachelors degree.

I wanna be an astronaut so lifting and exercising is gonna be a thing also so yeah.

Reason I made this was I want to know the chances of my academic career and future… my mom keeps saying I should be this or that…. I know it’s crazy and it’s long but I don’t wanna give up my dreams
>>
>>16359805
Like the clarify on the 2nd part. You see there was this girl who my brother back in high school. Wanted to date but plan to break up. When summer break started she got dropped off from a stranger (which later someone told me she had to give an adult man favors) she is a minor so keep that in mind. She had to run away and wanted to stay somewhere safe. I wanted to say no but I feel it would’ve been fucked up. Then months past, his sis find out and wanted to go to a motel 6. My other friend who stay there at nights told me everything as I drive him home on what the guy did to her… even I have witness the moments there… later the whole friend group of mine figured out and we call the cops… we tried our best to send the best evidence and all he had was a report and he even went to jail which his mom paid to bail him out… surprised it was a thing…. So yeah this happened during the fall semester and it fucked up since three of those classes I took where important to my major… I seriously never wanted any more friends… I’m ok with my small gang of mine…
>>
>>16359805
You're trying to blame your poor performance entirely on some friend. You are responsible for your own career and choices. Nobody cares about excuses.

Astronaut is maybe the most competitive job selection process out there. To be extremely blunt, by what you've told and the way you express it I do not think you will be a very competitive applicant.

>>16359825
This is completely irrelevant
>>
>>16359805
First you need to reconsider what you mean by terms such as "friend" and "integrity".
Secondly, with your background, you need some major heroics with front line battlefield experience and decorations to have the faintest chance of becoming an astronaut.
>>
>>16359911
>background, you need some major heroics with front line battlefield experience and decorations
I live in CA and there’s a navy and air base near by… should I join navy or Air Force
>>
>>16359874
Yeah I know… I was just explaining the situation I’m currently in rn. How I’m gonna be in here for three years (and I’ve been in college since 2022/2021)
>>
>>16359874
>I do not think you will be a very competitive applicant

How do I become one? Just focus more on career more and have a positive mindset? But also maintain firm schedule day to day?
>>
>>16359948
Read up on the biographies of the last few astronaut intakes. Army and Air Force seem to be a common feature, Navy if pilots. They have experiences from front line battles, no doubt they know how to gandle the Martians when the time comes.
And you have to be so clean, dilligent and tidy that even prospective mother in laws start to puke.
>>
Bros any tips for someone starting their bachelors in Engineering? If you could go back and tell yourself one thing what would it be?
>>
>>16360355
do you want to be an engineer?
if yes, no problem, no tips necessary
if no, do something else
>>
>>16360360
I feel like a ton of high school grads forget to ask themselves that before they go to uni lol. Myself when I was 18 included.
>>
>>16360355
Go slow. Don’t go full retard and try to slam jam 15-18 credits a semester. Don’t take more than one “weed out” class per semester. These two things are the biggest GPA killer for engineering students. Good GPA = scholarships. Good GPA = getting into a good grad school. Good GPA = Internships.

Don’t fall for the “graduate on time” meme, there is no such thing as graduating on time.

Register for your classes as early as you can, don’t fuck it off till the last minute or else you’ll get stuck with shit ass electives.

Get a student membership to your relevant engineering association, ASME, ASHRAE, IEEE, etc. it’s $25 and they invite you to dinners and events where you can network.

Constantly be applying for internships, don’t wait till it’s 2 weeks before summer break. If you do get an internship, get a letter of recommendation from your boss on company letter head.

Don’t wait for 3 months before graduation to start looking for an entry level job, you should be applying at the start of your last semester.

Apply to jobs even if you don’t want to take that job. You need the interview experience.

Also, on the topic of GPA, there are diminishing returns. A 3.6 with extracurricular stuff and an internship will BTFO a 4.0 and nothing else.

Use your campuses labs/shops/facilities. Almost nowhere in the country will you be able to go dick around with a $500,000 CNC machine or other expensive lab equipment. Your tuition pays for this stuff, use it.

Find a solid study group you can collaborate with. Make friends with guys who are a semester ahead of you because they probably have good intel on the course you are taking next semester that you can use. (Notes, exams, etc)

Go to office hours, even if you don’t need it. A lot of professors will withhold little tips and tricks from the lecture because they want to reward students who take the initiative to go to office hours.

(Cont)
>>
>>16360406
Lift and take care of your appearance . You have a gym and a dining hall that is probably all you can eat. You got 4-5 years, you should be /fit/ as fuck as a 22 year old. Don’t let fatties and DYELs tell you it doesn’t apply to your career. Looking good in a slim fit collared shirt makes an impression on potential employers, it says you have discipline and are presentable enough to get put in front of a customer. The fat slobs get stuffed into a cubicle where nobody can see them.

On the last topic, learn corpo speak, learn how people interact in a professional setting. An engineer who can actually talk to a customer without spilling spaghetti is fucking rare.

Always assume you are going to have to carry any group project. It’s just the way it is. If you get a good group, count yourself lucky. Don’t get upset if you get a shit group, it’s the nature of the beast.

If you’re doing well, talk to your department head about taking 500 level courses as electives. If your GPA is good enough they’ll often let you.

Read ahead for next semesters courses. Dover books are great primers, they’re short and concise.

Lastly, have fun. This goes back to my first point of taking it slow. If you are grinding so hard that your GPA is slipping and you can’t fuck off to a school event or a sports ball game, you’re doing it wrong.
>>
>>16360427
Oh and one more thing. Immediately take the FE/PE exams as soon as you are eligible (usually last semester of senior year). All the stuff on those exams is really a comprehensive overview of undergrad and you should take the exams while everything is fresh in your mind. Being registered as an EIT is a huge green flag for employers.
>>
>>16360406
Awesome, thanks.
>>
If you are thinking of moving to management roles:
https://www.fastcompany.com/91170842/why-competent-workers-become-incompetent-managers
Watch out for Peter's Principle.
>>
>>16360880
If there's separate promotion tracks for technical and management work, great, sure, no problem.

If not, and you decide to stick to your guns, you'll sacrifice your career (and salary) progression out of conscientiousness. Meanwhile some jackoff who thinks himself Patrick Bateman (and thinks that's a compliment) will become your boss despite being even less competent.
>>
>>16360926
This. I get to be a technical autist instead of ball sniffing. It’s great.
>>
How do I know if I should flunk out of my grad program?
>>
>>16347954
it's as bad as you think it is
the only possible way it's good is if you get a cushy six figure salary job in a rich ass neighborhood full of asians
>>
>>16360406
Out of curiosity, what is the maximum course load you recommend. I usually did around 15 throughout UG. It didn't kill my GPA, but imo 12 or so would have led me to get a 4.00 some semesters when the reality was worse than that. I think I ended around a 3.8.
>>
>>16355550
>it's a financially retarded decision to go from the industry to research, who the fuck does that,
I want to do that but I probably won't get into any phd programs since I fucked up undergrad hard.
>who the fuck does that, maybe if you are a bored and rich,
In tech it's extremely common to go for a phd in your 30s. After making 200k for half of your 20s you have fuck you money to do that shit.

>>16355576
Depends on the job market.
For bioinformatics probably not. If salary is important to you then job hopping and advancing in tech will be a better return than a phd.

>>16356178
>status strivers
A phd isn't a status symbol. It's like the bare minimum to get into research
>>
>>16361267
Depends on the course and what you’re good at. Anything with a lab or project based is time consuming. It’s also why I say get a preview of next years possible course work, maybe do some self study and practice problems to gauge whether or not it’s gonna kill you.

It also depends on if you get an internship or not. If you don’t, take one (1) summer course to make next semester lighter.

It also depends on your financial situation, if you don’t mind extending your college time out to 4.5-5 years (engineering degrees are technically 5 year degrees) then I’d say take the bare minimum of 12. Coursework is really only %50 of college. Do other shit to round yourself out. Never more than 15 if you can help it
>>
>>16361267
It’s also a matter of time management. Even if you didn’t get a 4.0 by taking the bare minimum, that gives you time to do other shit. Even if all you did was party and make friends that still worth taking a 3.8 over a 4.0. Like I said, diminishing returns. Going from 3.4-3.6 is a big deal because that’s grad school and scholarship territory. 3.8-4.0 just says you couldn’t find anything better to do.
>>
>>16361323
as long as your gpa is enough to get into grad school that's all you need
and if you're not going to grad school it doesn't matter. my useless ass will never get into grad school with my 3.1, but in the private sector i'm making double and getting promoted faster than that of my friends who had 3.9s and 4.0s
>>
>>16347256
What science field offers the most variety? Physics?

Like Louis Pastuer had 0 medical, chemical, or biological background but he was able to make big contributions to those fields. Similar deal with Djisktra (Comp. Sci), Jim Simons (Finance/HFT), and I believe the Fathers of Molecular Biology.

Is Physics the way to go if you want tons of options?
>>
>>16352334
>Why is the scientific codebase such spaghetti.
every large codebase is complete spaghetti.

>but man the stuff we find going through the repos is wild.
you'll find weird shit in any big project. some of the most undebuggable shit i've seen in my life was from my time at FAGMAN
>>
How do I migrate to the US from the EU?
>>
File: image0-3.jpg (87 KB, 1024x958)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
I am a quality engineer at a major aerospace company and desperately need to get out but I'm not sure what the best way to do this is. This is my first job and I'm only 1.5 years in, so I'm not sure if it would be worth my while to try to get hired elsewhere. I'll have my master's in engineering next spring so that will add to my effective experience (hopefully) but is it better if I just go into survival mode and wait out the clock a bit more?
I am wanting to pivot into software and automation because that's the niche I've found in my group and I've been able to save a lot of our teams a lot of time by developing internal software. I've been taking on a ton of new projects but it feels like I'm not getting any recognition or support despite communicating my accomplishments with management. I hate this environment.
>>
>>16362009
I do my baseline job responsibilities well but its the extra stuff that is my bread and butter. I'm adding a lot of value but that's just not being counted towards my progression. I talked with my manager and asked for a raise or promotion once i get my degree next spring and they just kept deferring to the "well we aren't allowed to until you have X more years experience". Waiting around to move up solely based off of years worked is ridiculous. I'm impatient to advance my career and need an alternative.
>>
>>16361891
Be brown, hop on a plane, throw your passport into the airplane toilet and when you find a border official say the magic word "asylum" and claim you are 17.
>>
>>16360406
>Give yourself a bunch of excuses for accepting failure
Horrible advice, horrible post.
>>
>>16361891
Be white and pray that you qualify for citizenship by descent claims. That was the only way I could do it.
Otherwise be a brown, throw away your documentation and claim you are 14 despite being Norwood 7, and start stabbing people in the neck.
>>
>>16362198
Going from 3.8 to 4.0 does absolutely nothing for you. If you are judging success in college entirely by GPA you are autistic.
>>
>>16358541
Yes, just write whatever.
>>
>>16347973
>I used to think the "fake job listings" stuff was schizobabble but I'm starting to believe it.
it's true. it's common practice and by now the average person knows about it
>>
>>16357212
Sometimes I feel like my parents moving me from the US to the UK in the early 2000s was a punishment for some mortal sin in a past life.
>>
>>16362321
Is this for entry level positions? Every recruiter who’s reached out to me on LinkedIn has been legit
>>
File: thinking-ace-attorney.gif (319 KB, 176x171)
319 KB
319 KB GIF
I finished my literature review course, so I'm moving on from coursework to thesis research. What are /sci/core tips?
At the moment, I'm working on my ~30 page research application and doing weekly check-ins with my professor. I'm also in touch with a few professionals who said they would guide me in different stages of my thesis (ex.: data collection/presentation).

>blogpost
My professor told me my lit review is good enough to serve as a base with revision but had some problems. He won't give me a 60, but he expects me to score 80%+ for greater opportunities. My GPA is high enough to tank a B- and still maintain an average well above that expectation, but I'm disappointed in
>him for giving me such vague instructions
>myself for burning out and not getting it together despite having enough time
Whatever. I'll just be glad to graduate and leave school behind. Standard curriculum classroom lessons stopped being enjoyable in the eighth grade (but high school shop and other extra- classes were great), then my undergrad experience was aborted by COVID lockdowns.
>>
>>16362720
>~30 page research application
Do you really expect anyone to read that. 1-2 pages are enough.
>>
>>16362736
Double-checking that now, it's 20 pages long mostly filled with yes, no, or short-answer questions. Apparently the process recently changed.
>>
>>16362252
Lol. 4.0 is more impressive than 3.8.
Any other dumbass copes straight outta reddit you want to trot out?
>>
>>16362528
Ever job posting I see now/recruiter who "reaches out" to me is from a staffing firm.
Staffing firms used to be for nigger-tier labor. Now it's common practice in engineering and wages haven't grown in like 30 years. STEM seems to unironically be a meme now.
>>
>>16362794
It’s only more impressive if you have the same amount of “other stuff”. The 3.8 with 2 internships is going to BTFO a 4.0 sperg who sat in his dorm room all summer. Work experience is king.
>>
>>16362794
>Lol. 4.0 is more impressive than 3.8.
all other things being equal, yes. if all you have is a 4.0 and nothing else noteworthy it's not going to help you out that much

>>16362813
>The 3.8 with 2 internships is going to BTFO a 4.0 sperg who sat in his dorm room all summer
that doesn't happen often. usually 4.0 students have the sense to take paid internships or research as well
the quality of said internship/research is what separates literally everyone in the A-/A range
>>
>>16362813
Well, is the 'palace' good. That answers the debate. I'll just not know who won, but offer up a chalice to the loser.
>>
>>16362824
My point was that if you have to forgo literally every other aspect of the engineering school experience to get a 4.0, it’s not worth it. If a guy can rock a 4.0 AND do a bunch of other stuff on top of that, more power to him. But those guys are not the average or even slightly above average. Thats also why I said take it slow, because it’s much easier to keep a good GPA and get the “other stuff” in. 18-22 year olds aren’t exactly renowned for their exceptional time management skills so overestimating your abilities and cratering yourself does you no favors.

Look, even if you graduate at 25 that means you still have forty (40) fucking years of career ahead of you. Burning yourself out and making yourself miserable just so you can rat race for Mr. Toilstein a year or so early is retarded. There is supposed to be an element of enjoyment to college, it should be one of the most care free periods of your life, not some slog you have to “get through” before your “real life” begins, which is the attitude of most engineering students I’ve met.
>>
>>16362824
physics phd student here. lots of 3.8+ students don't understand what academia is like and don't recognize the importance of undergrad research, especially if the institution doesn't emphasize it.

desu, lots don't even recognize that a physics bs alone is basically worthless w/o auxiliary skills. i had a lower gpa (~3.6, mainly because i just didn't turn in homework for most of my classes) but got internships and eventually grad acceptances at top schools over virtually everyone in my cohort because i didn't, in fact, spend all my time grinding out assignments and instead focused my efforts toward research.

the game is easy to beat if you have better things to do.
>>
>>16363030
Wow you are so FUCKING amazing.
When does your book come out?
>>
>>16362850
>if you have to forgo literally every other aspect of the engineering school experience to get a 4.0, it’s not worth it.
i mean, i fully agree. those i know who that graduated with 3.9-4.0 are more or less on the same level as those who graduated with 3.0s
>But those guys are not the average or even slightly above average.
once you start taking it seriously, you're going to be surrounded by those types of people. your peer group changes as your goals change
>Look, even if you graduate at 25 that means you still have forty (40) fucking years of career ahead of you.
if you're single and wageslaving in engineering or tech, after a few years you're going to have the financial security to take gaps in your employment
>There is supposed to be an element of enjoyment to college,
everyone's college experiences are going to be different. it's not possible to give such broad statements like "college will suck" or "college is going to be the best years of your life" unless you know the person you're saying it to
>not some slog you have to “get through” before your “real life” begins, which is the attitude of most engineering students I’ve met.
if you go to school until you're 18, then have to go to even more school, you're probably sick of it

>>16363030
i unironically believe doing phds later should be normalized. most 18-22 year olds have no idea what the fuck they want in life and making them experience 4-8 more years of more school isn't going to expand their world
it's also easier to be an academiaslave after you already have savings from wageslavery
>>
>>16362528
>Is this for entry level positions?
for generic positions broad enough to collect resumes
even if the job is legit and they're not just trying to get an h1b, they'll hire the senior engineer they actually want, then keep the listing open to collect resumes
>Every recruiter who’s reached out to me on LinkedIn has been legit
i only respond to the legit ones
you're never gonna know what the fake ones are unless it's obvious or someone tells you.
in my case i somehow managed to get hiring managers to literally tell me the role i saw wasn't real
>>
So I was just offered a big name internship over the summer (grad student). I can make it work with my other obligations, but I am primarily interested in the research I am doing and this will sap time from my ability to do that. Should I just do it anyway since I intend to take my research into industry after finishing up? I didn't even fully understand the breadth of grad student internship programs until this fell into my lap. It was just various forms of research slaving before this.
>>
>>16363112
Probably worth your time.
It will definitely take time away from making papers, but judging by your post you're definitely not doing a postdoc but instead going to work in industry. Doesn't seem to be a downside.
>>
thoughts on a master's degree on quantum computing?
>>
>>16362209
>>16362053
so this only works for Italians, Greeks and Spanish?
>>
File: 1700080541245.jpg (1.31 MB, 3262x3705)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>16362009
I'm also a quality engineer and I am desperate to get out so I'm going to do a PhD to do so

>>16363812
you mean PhD in quantum computing?
>>
>>16363891
>you mean PhD in quantum computing?
no, I wasn't planning to do a phd for now, just a master's
>>
>>16363926
quantum is a research field
only theoretic not practical for at least a decade or two
>>
>>16363107
I’ve been on a ton of hiring panels (technical interviewer, not the hiring manager) and the amount of pajeet resume spam is unbelievable. 90% of all the resumes sent in are pajeets. Out of the other 10% most of those are people horribly under qualified, dudes with “engineering technology” degrees instead of legit engineering degrees, or shitters with 2.5 barely passing GPA’s from Literally Who University, and then the rest are guys with great resumes but they don’t match the skillset needed IE a rockstar chemical engineering student with a focus in process plants applying for an entry levels controls engineering job.

Companies would rather let the position stay open than take a chance on hiring the wrong fit.
>>
>>16362009
What’s your discipline? Get your PE and pivot into a generic I/C job.
>>
>>16363057
Let’s be real, an 18 year old is clueless walking into college (you even admitted in your post that 18-22 yo have no idea what they want). I see the same 2 scenarios play out for average freshman engineers.

1) they go balls to the wall and burn out by sophomore year and tank their GPA in the last two years

OR

2) they slack the first two years, tank their GPA and scramble to get their shit together

So, I wasn’t saying to go slow to stop and smell the roses per se, but to set yourself up for success. If it means pushing your graduation date out a semester or two to make sure you can baby your GPA and hit all the extracurriculars, that’s going to pay dividends when you finally try to get into industry/grad school.

Essentially, assume you’re retarded until you can prove to yourself otherwise.
>>
Why was I encourage to make my life more difficult than it needed to be and pursue a mathematics degree. Also fuck hackerrank and fuck this miserable society thats done nothing but spurn and bully me my entire life.
>>
What do you get when you cross a mentally ill loner with a society that abandons him?
>>
>>16364222
A /scg/ poster talking about PhD.
>>
File: IMG_9575.jpg (774 KB, 1170x1215)
774 KB
774 KB JPG
HR Stacie’s a cute
>>
What's the usual course sequence for a math major (applied or pure) at a good school? I went to community college and had to waste multiple semesters because they didn't offer anything past an intro to diff eq but I still needed my gen eds. Then at the nearby public university they bottlenecked me through this braindead proofs class and wouldn't let me just test for credit. I chose the applied track because my department has all the pure math classes as electives on 1 or 2 year rotations (even fucking analysis and group theory) so I won't be able to take real analysis until my final semester. I feel like such an asshole. Guess I should've studied harder in high school. Right now I feel more like a retarded code monkey running numerical algorithms and stats packages than a mathematician. Very upset with my life.
>>
>>16364823
Also I'm on a scholarship that expects me to graduate on time. It's the only way I can afford school.
>>
Has anyone actually used simulink before? I am going to be basically a simulink monkey at my new job related to E&M heat management shit. I have zero experience with it.
>>
I'm 30, working in retail with an EE degree, and only have 1.5 YOE after getting laid off last year. Don't be like me and do zero networking or internships. Even with full time experience, I still can't get entry level jobs.

It's just so brutal.
>>
>>16364896
Brother, I have never even heard of something like that. My suggestion would be to study for the FE and get on the PE track in power. Power-focused BSEE + FE is like guaranteed employment.
>>
>>16364896
Is Billy meant to be so perverse with me? Am I meant to be eating the worst quality food? Am I meant to have no personal space? Are these words blocked from you?
>>
>>16364918
This. All the old boomer PE’s are retiring. I’m fucking 27 with my PE and companies are already looking at me to come in and try to absorb enough knowledge from some crotchety 60 year old discipline lead before he checks out in 3 years. Companies are literally pulling guys out of retirement at 67 for part time contract work because there arent enough stamping engineers to go around.

My EE buddy is 26 and is in a senior, FUCKING SENIOR, EE power role making $150k + flat time for anything over 40 hours just because he got hot on his PE and picked up LEED on the way.
>>
How are BSc Chemistry doing nowadays? Most people say you need a MSc/PhD to avoid becoming a wagie in QA/QC; is true?
>>
>>16364933
Nah, you can do simple process/chemical delivery design. Grind out a few years in O&G, Bulk Gas Systems (H2, O2, N2, Ar, He, CO2), or Pharma. Get your PE and then do whatever you want because >>16364932 applies to ChemE too.
>>
>>16364933
Oh wait, you said Chemistry not Chem E. lol yeah nm, get a masters.
>>
>>16364953
I see, thanks anon
>>
>>16363982
Chemical engineering. I'd like to get my PE, it's just that there is a profound shortage of jobs hiring entry level engineers that would qualify for such experience.
>>
>>16364997
Did you take the FE and register as an EIT? That matters for entry level.
>>
>>16365007
On top of this, they’ve removed the experiental requirement for the PE exam so you can knock out both and advertise “hey faggots I’m ready, just sign off on my shit”
>>
>>16364918
I'm actually studying for the FE right now, but the resume gap seems insurmountable. I've already hit over a year and I've been applying everywhere. I've only been in retail for a month (out of necessity, live in a town of 3k with no other jobs) and am already miserable.
>>
>>16365079
I don't know what to say other than to keep on trucking as you are clearly heading in the correct direction to ensure employment. I think you will actually be fine with a gap given the desperation for people who can stamp things in power now, and it is only going to keep getting worse for employers desu.
>>
New Thread:

>>16365289
>>16365289
>>16365289
>>
>>16365007
I did, back in 2022.
>>16365007
What?? Source?
>>
>>16347256
She is the Queen.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.