[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

/bio/ general — corporate victim edition.
Any discussion about biology, genetics, biochemistry, botanics, zoology and pharmacology are welcome.
>>
>>16354359
What effect could compsuntion of BDNF agonist along with it's modulator(positive) could we expect in adult brain?
>>
Any book or monograph recs? I'm currently reading The Extended Phenotype by Dawkins. It really scratches my itch as a hobbyist since it's written for a more knowledgeable audience without coming with all the scholarly baggage like extensive discussion on the existing literature or methodology. I wouldn't mind adding more (non-specific) works to my shelves about anything ecology, ethology, evolutionary biology, that hits the sweet spot between pop-sci slop and an academic paper
>>
Is memetics real or just a fansy pseudoscience?
>>
Is Murray's Mathematical Biology still the best entry point into bio for mathfags?
By its own admission, Murray isn't comprehensive in its selection of topics, so hopefully there's a quantitative text out there that covers the principles of biology more thoroughly.
>>
>>16354775
I think Murray's book is as impactful to the field as was Euclid's elements
>>
Do women ruin biology as a first field?
>>
Why half asians are smarter than both groups?
>>
>>16354384
What books you read not including dawkins?
>>
File: 1696706953231156.jpg (8 KB, 217x250)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
hi bredren
>>16355511
yes they want to meet a cool biologist so they can travel the world doing research and shit
>>
>>16357129
I asked more fundamental things though
>>
synthetic organs, biomechanics, genetic modification, stem cells, neuro enhancement, cryogenics, cell death reversal, infectious disease eradication, diabetes cure, cancer cure
>>
So is bioinformatics a good way to get into genetics from a software background?
Further is bioinformatics a good field to get into in general?
>>
File: IMG_8765.jpg (157 KB, 1071x1260)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>16356132
is this an attempt at justifying why you’re going to throw away your white genes for some ugly subhuman chink over a desirable white blonde

have you ever really heard of a hapa contributing anything of value to society lol
>>
>>16360255
>have you ever really heard of a hapa contributing anything of value to society
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keanu_Reeves
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Tsoi
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikaru_Nakamura
Also consider that there not many of them in the world in general
>>
>>16359678
Bib bop. How are your systems?
>>
>>16359678
I am delaying my school as much as I can because I want to study malware on kybernetic proasthates and make a doctorate in it with my cybersec degree,
>>
>>16354359
I have a question. (Forgive if tarded)
How feasible is the idea that at some point in the future, viruses will be able to broadly modify someone's genes. I don't mean selectively, I mean throughout the whole body.
It's a meme frequently talked about with life extensions, but it seems like it wouldn't work to me, you'd run into immune issues and no virus out there infects every type of tissue as far as I know.
>>
>>16362044
You sound like me
>>
>>16362199
>viruses will be able to broadly modify someone's genes
Where did you get this idea?
>>
>>16360149
>So is bioinformatics a good way to get into genetics from a software background?
The only way
>>
>>16355511
Yes
>>
File: GH2l0V_aUAA099R.png (110 KB, 1080x1350)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
Do you guys think AI will actually lead to a biotechnology runaway within our lifetimes?
>>
>>16366086
Most likely biology would be more like coding
>>
File: IMG_0857.jpg (262 KB, 1523x343)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>16354380
Infertility
>>
>>16366461
Lack of sexdrive is not infertility.

When woman stops being a whore, seems like her brain started to think good, and that's nice.
>>
>>16356132
Because mixing is based
>>
>>16354537
It's real
>>
Wonder who is on that pic? He is Virginijus Šikšnys, Lithuanian microbiologist who discovered crispr cas-9 gene editing method before these two whores who got nobel prize for it. Now you know more.
>>
>>16366086
Doubt, because ai would hit another wall for a decade
>>
>>16360418
All fake
>>
File: 1620841591895.gif (1.97 MB, 250x220)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB GIF
>>16357129
>they want to meet a cool biologist so they can travel the world doing research and shit
Objectively false.
>>
>>16359678
>infectious disease eradication
So huemams will erradicate the genes found in huemans, effectively stong arming Evolution into a sterile state where we will become born reliant on vaccine and medical assistance to stay alive. Warping Environmental Genomics into a one where bees dont need to fly or collect pollon, no nests, no walking...just TV & Sucrose-sauce.

Imagine a world where natural births are no longer viable and all babies are born in vats. "Science, YES!"
>>
>>16354384
>The Extended Phenotype by Dawkins
Uh, yeah, switch over to BioPhysics..the field Dawkins has no expertise in and the field has switched onto.

https://youtu.be/WamKZyowX3Q

He is a part time political activist, not a research scientist...
>>
>>16374701
We've heard what you've had to say... Fartweed.
>>
File: 1726082962469097~2.jpg (1.27 MB, 4096x4096)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>16374701
Updated, one of those gut-brain books contained too much "recipes and food stuff", idk which one.
>>
>>16374706
Then why are you researching charlatans?

Youre not a real scientist, youre a LARPer parading your egoism like a whamen at skool arguing political nonsense at a professor...sit down, ma'am.
>>
The "Selfish Gene" *IS* Dawkins, he is the selfish one...the one that poisons science with his egoism.

He betrayed one that he calls "friend" by denying, and intending to destroy, what she said SAVED HER LIFE. He lack the Cognitive awareness to recognize his own failings.

>Cognition
Levin to the rescue. Even in the Poly-Tic realm he is grasping for power and authority at the cost of ANYONE else...SELFISH "GENE" (Physiological Phenomenology, Cogntive retardation...Medically speaking...)

Soulless Science is Evil Science.
>>
Bump
>>
>>16374727
You make many claims and never show any proof
If you had any evidence you would show it
>>
>>16374635
Why do they do biology and ruin it?
>>
>>16374635
There's literally only one reason a woman would want to be an entomologist, it's because the international conferences are in Hawaii, Japan, and consultancy in Brazil and the EU.
Enough money for grads to be paid while presenting in cali and arizona too.
>>16377492
There truly is some magic that's lost in a subject when I hear it presented by a woman, I made presentation slides and media for my own research and my boss is now using some of the overview as part of her lectures, and it made it un-fun to look over my own notes.
Same thing with fucking math, I think I quit biomed engineering because I had a woman as my calc prof.
>>
>>16372721
all the tech dorks online are saying AGI by 2030. So I don't know what to believe.
>>
>>16377900
Tech dorks said the same thing in 1960s
>>
>>16377811
What do you study now?
>>
>>16378994
I moved from entomology to work in animal pathology, looking at sentinel chicken autopsies and running PCR tests related to communal diseases
still related with my master's thesis enough to still be in the same pension program now
>>
>>16379541
Why did you choosed this? Isn't this part of study full of women with "muh animarinos" as well?
>>
>>16374643
Well, baby factories when?
>>
What sort of plants should I grow to get the best calorie/land yield in a humid continental climate? My goal is to feed a large army for my empire.
>>
Bump
>>
>>16374727
Lol
>>
>>16374727
Define soul
>>
Well, I'll post the info from the dying thread
Basic Info For Tourists:
>https://www.khanacademy.org/science/ap-biology
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology

Biology Journals to Read New Research:
>https://www.cell.com/cell/home
>https://www.cell.com/current-biology/home
>https://www.cell.com/trends/ecology-evolution/home

Top Bio News Headlines This Week:
>https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/09/240917130334.htm
>https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/09/240917130403.htm
>https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/09/240916115426.htm

QOTT: Tell me about your professional life. What's your specialty? Which of your research projects has been the most enjoyable/rewarding? What are your career goals?
>>
File: 1710418666942757.png (239 KB, 2480x852)
239 KB
239 KB PNG
rip
>>
>>16387308
Noooo
>>
>>16387087
Is khan Academy course worthwhile?
>>
>>16387975
Yes
>>
Deja vu moment
>>
>>16387087
I got my PhD applying ML to some proteins structures. Then studied sequence models, and transformers as they got popular. Worked at some AI startups.

Now I'm trying to make cookies for a living.
>>
>>16392083
>ML
Machine learning?
>>
>>16385610
The root Cognitive Physiology of a system.
>>
>>16392083
Your field is bioinformatics?Do you make a lot of money during ai boom?
>>
>>16377811
99,9% of women in sciences simply take the work of men, change some words, and present it as their own. They're mostly good at memorizing information, formulae, without the actual understanding of subject matter, which is why they're mostly unable to come up with new, theoretical frameworks. They can be good observers, writing down what they see in extreme detail, so many of them love space observatories. Specializations where you can travel around the world and describe new species or study behavior of existing ones.
The problem is, that all the things mentioned are done just as well by men. There's nothing in sciences that would ever logically place a woman's work over a man's. Even worse, due to current political climate which, unfortunately, influences and hurts all kinds of scientific fields, women are often picked to represent a team and, in the case of most cucked guys being the team, they allow her to present their research as her own discovery. Or, women being picked for grants over guys who are researching a much more interesting topic. I could go on all day. This happens in engineering as well, causing a visible slow down of progress and introducing pointless drama and intrigue into teams where there's more than a single woman. It also negatively influences the men, as, let's face it, more of them have the "nice guy syndrome", where they think being a doormat for the woman will get them some pussy. Instead, they get used and discarded while she presents his work as her own.
>>
>>16392554
Shit
>>
>>16392566
>>16392544
Checked.

I made some money, it's a lucrative area in general. Technically I was trained as an experimentalist by a top guy in my field who didn't trust computers. But I was annoying and did them anyways because I like statistics. Took a year to get my advisor to learn what PCA was though.
>>
>>16392615
99.9% of men suffer the same low IQ destiny.
>>
>>16394131
>99.9% of men
*80%, still less than women
>>
>>16394104
What is pca?
>>
File: unnamed.png (29 KB, 512x203)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>16395070
Principle component analysis. It's a technique for taking a very high dimensional set of data and creating a linear reprsentation that minimizes the residuals in all directions.

Think of it as a fancy high dimensional linear regression.
>>
>>16387087
>What's your specialty?
cancer neurobiology, genomics, computational biology
>Which of your research projects has been the most enjoyable/rewarding?
Hard to say without doxing. Has to do with noncoding RNAs.
What are your career goals?
>become a physician-scientist specializing in awwtism and sperging
>>16394104
how on earth does your advisor not know what PCA is? What does he do?
>>
>>16395462
>Has to do with noncoding RNAs.
Which ones? genuinely, there's so many of them. long, short, artificial siRNA, xist-like silencing, vector-bound or snRNA, piRNA, those sacrificial regulatory RNAs, morpholinos?
and physiology? of all the people I know working with ncRNA animal physiologists are doing it the least.
>>
>>16395482
the research I was referring there was on tRNA fragments. Pretty fascinating species. As the name implies, they're just cleavage products of mature transfer RNAs, but somehow enact gene regulatory functions. The mechanisms are vast, but the most widely discussed is their ability to mimic miRNAs by associating with AGO-RISC. tRNA fragments are some of the most abundant regulatory species in mammalian cells, yet vastly understudied. They're conserved down to archaea too, probably predating the existence of many commonly discussed regulatory ncRNAs.
>>
>>16387087
>Tell me about your professional life.
big pharma bioinformatics
>What's your specialty?
don't have one (non-PhD.) I mostly build Shiny apps, but recently working on some sequence-based ML stuff
>Which of your research projects has been the most enjoyable/rewarding?
aforementioned ML work
>What are your career goals?
to get a proper bioinformatics job that will challenge me to learn more and get better at programming and science. I get paid well, but I'm stagnating and don't feel like my knowledge is growing enough to keep up with the expectation of what it should be given my time in the industry

>>16395491
are some tRNAs (anti-codon) more likely to get fragmented? is the tRF regulatory ability/target influenced at all by the anti-codon of the source tRNA? does tRF activity/production affect tRNA levels?
>>
File: 1714226881909059.png (200 KB, 564x317)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
>>16395491
well that's very different from the pre-piRNAs I worked with in flies, the argonaut proteins shuttle them into the cytoplasm around the mitochondria for trimming, but in the oocyte we're mapping how/where the transcripts regulate development. picrel is the model organism equivalent, mapping just ago3 instead of specific pre-piRNA transcripts.
>>
>>16395533
>are some tRNAs (anti-codon) more likely to get fragmented? is the tRF regulatory ability/target influenced at all by the anti-codon of the source tRNA? does tRF activity/production affect tRNA levels?
yes to all of them. It's highly context-dependent, though, as to how fragmentation occurs. There's different types of fragments formed by different cleavage sites and nucleases as well. It will be highly dependent upon which nucleases are being expressed and where the nucleases are localized in the cell (i.e., cytoplasmic or nuclear). We know that certain tRNA isodecoders/anticodons are more likely to form fragments in certain contexts, but the exact mechanism underlying this preference is still a mystery. And while fragmentation will deplete the parental tRNA pool, this is not always the case, as some unknown compensatory mechanisms also seem to occur.
>big pharma bioinformatics
curious how this differs from in academia
>>16395534
It's interesting to see AGO3's roles outside of RNA interference. I've never heard of it shuttling piRNAs. Are piRNAs Ago selective in drosophila (as in preferring AGO3 over AGO1 or AGO2)? From what I had read, only tRFs have been shown to selectively bind specific argonaute proteins, while most others don't have much of a preference. Also what developing organ systems do you see the piRNAs localize to in your model?
>>
Bump
>>
File: 1718723058556294.png (236 KB, 734x873)
236 KB
236 KB PNG
>>16395573
Ago family proteins are all over the piRNA space, not only for the ping-pong system, but most piwi proteins are related to Argonauts, but most of those are doing the silencing or antitransposon activity.
I dont like picrel because Zuc is required for both ping-pong and phasing, nibbler is only supplementing the trimming activity while piwi hooks a ride, not even in one of the genus we work with. (https://www.nature.com/articles/nature20162)
This paper is the more interesting one on Ago3 silencing and how it affects localization https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(09)00452-8
Both the model and drosphila in that paper are discussing maternal nanos and the name of the game is Oskar silencing at just the right moment, a very broad and conserved region across the developmental space. Interference causes the eggs to fail outright or twist in on themselves, depending on the timing.
>>
>>16395462
Can't go into too many details cause doxxing, but he's a brilliant experimentalist in protein chemistry and thermodynamics who is fairly famous. His understanding of the field is insanely deep and his rigour with error is fantastic.

On the flip side he doesn't trust computer modeling and hates protein simulations with a passion. We had lots of heated journal clubs over alphafold.

So all that together meant he had never learned PCA and he has professor brain so learning something completely new is hard.
>>
>>16382172
Pigs
>>
>>16387308
What happened?
>>
>>16354384
"The Inner Ape", an evopsych book by Frans de Waal.
I liked it, but some other people I know didn't really care for his writing style.
>>
>>16377811
>quit biomed engineering because I had a woman as my calc prof
LOL anon if you couldn’t figure out calc…
>>
>>16399084
Calc explained by a woman could be not understood
>>
>>16399090
checked and true

>>16399084
I still had to pass 1/2 for the BS, but you can shit those out with an online course.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.