[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: GW0sGulXkAADGa5.png (220 KB, 623x615)
220 KB
220 KB PNG
If someone plugs this cable into two outlets in their home?
>>
If someone poops into another poop, who poop'd?
>>
>>16365428
I think it will trip a circuit breaker but that's just a guess
>>
>>16365424
It's over
>>
>>16365488
Will it blow up the power plant?
>>
>>16365504
Try it and report back
>>
>>16365424
Probably nothing if the two outlets are on the same circuit.
>>
Nothing because both are at the same potential.
>>
File: suicide watch.jpg (57 KB, 590x445)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>16365424
That would be more spicy with europlug
>>
File: 1684723302245421.png (2.06 MB, 2376x1552)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB PNG
What if you make it longer, and use it to connect two different houses running at different phases?
>>
>>16365446
If the cable is bridging two circuits, then you have more than a single breaker feeding a given home circuit. Since a breaker is rated to the amp rating of the wires, having two breakers feeding a single wire could result in an overloaded wire without the breaker tripping. This will cause heating, insulation failure, and potentially a fire if the wires don't short and trip the breakers. The breakdown is most likely to occur near bad terminations as they already generate the most heat.
>>
>>16365424
Assuming US power system, if the two outlets are in the same circuit and properly wired, nothing. If the two outlets are on different circuits there's a chance the two circuits will be out of phase with each other, which I thiiiink could cause a breaker to trip but I'm not actually sure about that.
>>
>>16365424
if you got 3 phases at home(first world country so no UK) you got 6 cases:
1.) both outlets have the same phase and you managed to plug in phase on phase and N on N -> nothing happens
2.) still same phase but you connected phase on N -> fuse trips
3.),4.), 5.) and 6.) the outlets have different phases and thus a fuse will trip no matter how you plug it

If you connect two outlets that are close, you got a good chance that they are on the same phase.
>>
>>16365821
Aren't most houses in the US only wired for two legs of three phase power?
>>
>>16365504
>nothing
IF they are fed by the same phase, then nothing.
If they are on opposite phases, the voltage difference between them will be 240 VAC and at least one if not both breakers will trip.
There is also risk of arc flash and fire.
>>
File: 1522644794367.jpg (41 KB, 720x685)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>16365821
Homes don't have 3 phases but your mostly right

>>16365424

Homes have 2 "legs" of single phase power. Meaning there are 2 copper bars in the panel bringing in street power. The first leg holds the odd circuit breakers (1,3,5, etc) and the second holds the even circuit breakers (2,4,6, etc).

If you plugged into an outlet on breaker 1, and the other outlet was also on breaker 1, nothing would happen. This is the most likely thing to happen as outlets in the same area are usually on the same circuit.

If you plugged into an outlet on breaker 1, and the other outlet was on circuit 3, nothing would happen. Thats because they are the same "leg" of power.

If you plugged into an outlet on breaker 1, and the other outlet was on breaker 2, things would get spicy. First the end of the cord would explode in an arc of electricity as soon as you tried to plug into the second outlet. It would immediately melt the copper and break the connection. The breakers would also trip as they would sense an overload. The final thing that would happen is a big nigger would come into your house wearing moonshoes, and he'd bounce around stealing all your valuables. You can try to stop him, but unless you have your own moonshoes equipped, it would be a fruitless effort.
>>
>>16365910
why is there an arc flash
>>
>>16365424
Newton, Maxwell, Einstein, Hawking... you know what they did when they had a scientific question? They didn't post about it on 4chan, they went home and did it themselves.
>>
>>16365910
>
If you plugged into an outlet on breaker 1, and the other outlet was on circuit 3, nothing would happen. Thats because they are the same "leg" of power.
This isn't necessarily true depending on circuit elements.
>>
>>16365910
>homes don't have 3 phases

Yes they do faggot. Once a house gets big enough it pretty much requires it or your feeds will be huge.
>>
File: images.png (7 KB, 260x194)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>16365424
The outlets in your house are connected to each other by a cable already.

However, if the power comes off different phases, it will blow the fuse on both as the two pahses are not in sync and begin to draw power from each other.
>>
That depends somewhat if you have plugged into the same circuit of the house. If you plugged into two different circuits, it'd work but you could overload either side of the circuit or a plug depending on what's plugged in or who knows. It should trip a breaker but it's a huge fire hazard. If you plugged into the same circuit nothing would happen.
>>
File: African_Energy.webm (2.54 MB, 1280x720)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB WEBM
>>16365424
>If someone plugs this cable into two outlets in their home?

Infinite energy!
>>
>>16365424
Depending on how your home is wired
A. Nothing will happen
B. You trip a circuit breaker
C. You experience Indian nerve gas as you freeze in place and turn into KFC
>>
>>16366602
Electricity from different sources bump into eachother

>>16366682
Ok nigger sure you can think of the outlier cases, but what I stated will happen in 99.999% of residential houses

>>16366692
You ultra-giga-macrodynamic faggot, thats so rare that its like me saying "water is wet" and you saying "NO ACSHUALLY IF ITS HEATED IN A HIGH PRESSURE CHAMBER TO X DEGREES IT BECOMES A SUPERFLUID SO YOUR TECHNICALLY WRONG". But fine, I'll change my statement specifically for (YOU).

>homes almost never have 3 phases, unless its a giant faggodome which requires 3 phases because the feeds would be too big otherwise
>>
>>16365424
How is this science?
>>
>>16374217
half of the threats here are either x, pol or xpol. this isnt so bad. op will plug and get yelled at by his step-dad for science.
>>
After an ice storm, our power was knocked out. Eventually we noticed that half the outlets were completely dead and half were at partial voltage. Plugging in a lamp would result in dimmer than usual light and fans plugged in would run at half speed. I turned off all the breakers after noticing this in cause it could cause damage to appliances or cause other hazards.
AC is kind of weird so I'm not sure why some outlets were at half power. One leg out and the other still working somehow? Why wouldn't it result in half the circuits being dead and the other half at full?
>>
nothing if the phase is same
220 volt blast if they are different.
>>
>>16374217
electrical theory is basis of all universe. see few more years and they find graviton=photon and its just another fancy bonus effect of electricity just like magnetism is.
>>
>>16365821
What happens if you short all three phases 120 degrees out of phase with the exact load on all three lines?
>>
>>16374616
165v
>>
>>16374763
Nope. The US residential setup isn't the same as a wye-connected 3-phase with one line missing -- the neutral is a center tap on a single phase transformer, so you get 120V line to neutral, and 240V line to line.
>>
>>16370279
>water is wet
Anon, I...
>>
>>16374790
Grounded center tap.
>>
>>16365899
>fire
based
>>
>>16365654
try it
>>
File: 71G0yubRLRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (190 KB, 1500x1447)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>16365654
>used for generators to power the house
That is what it's commonly used as, but it's highly dangerous. Electricians suggest a more dedicated setup, pic related, for hooking up a back-up generator to a house.
>>
>>16365504
this anon is correct assuming both ends are wired correctly. otherwise you will get a pop and a tripped breaker.
>>
>>16377913
How is this any safer? This setup will have hot pins in a wall outlet during normal (non-generator) operation, which seems worse than a male-to-male cable in every way.
>>
>>16377950
before this box you put a switch like this:
house wiring -> switch -> box -> generator
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-||.-.-.-.-
.-.-.-.-.-.-..-.-.-.-.-.-.>>--> city electricity coming in

When not using the generator, the switch isolates this box from the rest of the house wiring, so that you don't have to worry about hot pins
>>
bump for electrifying knowledge
>>
>>16365424
Putin will be defeated and drag queen story hour will commence
>>
>>16365424
I like to get my good and wet on my metal ladder before I carry it to the electric chainsaw to trim my tree
>>
>>16365424
it depends, if the orientation checks out and both outlets are on the same phase nothing will happen.
If its connecting Lx to N or Lx to Ly then a high current will flow and blow either a fuse or something else.
>>
>>16365495
This is not liquid my dude it will just burn itself until the connection is melted.
>>
>>16366692
Yeah, i have 3 phase. It's very common every new or upgraded house here has it.
>>
>>16365424
nothing, the hot terminals are already connected to one rail
>>
>>16365424
You have to put your tongue on exposed prongs to know if it’s doing anything
>>
>>16374298
Xpol is best pol.
>>
>>16377950
You break that circuit when the generator is not in use.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.