[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_4029.jpg (205 KB, 904x904)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
Scientifically speaking, why is life so shitty for everyone?
Why doesn’t the universe exist as a place where fewer than 99% of people and animals are getting fucked over?
Is this a universal constant? Wtf?
>>
The laws of thermodynamics make it so that to gain something, one must take something from somewhere. Oftentimes, that means other organisms.
>>
>>16368998
>Scientifically speaking, why is life so shitty for everyone?

A consciousness that doesn't know why it exists, and has no way of obtaining that knowledge, is bound to be miserable.
>>
File: 1594931426752.webm (2.99 MB, 563x1000)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB WEBM
>>16368998
It doesn't have to be so, anon. Stay comfy.
>>
It's okay because there's nobody to actually suffer, "me" and "you" don't exist, there are no "persons". Nothing actually happens, nothing has ever happened and nothing will ever happen.
>>
>>16368998
you are asking the wrong people. ask your parents. why could your whore mother not keep her legs closed and your fucking dad not pull out fast enough?
>>
>>16368998
>Life is the tendency for some types of molecules to create copies of themselves
>The optimization function for life is to maximise the rate of reproduction
>Multiple types of self-reproducing molecules exist and require the same resources, therefore they have to compete for the resources
>If any lifeform ever stops competing, it will be overtaken by those who continue competing aggressively
If you had infinite resources you could have peaceful coexistence. Since the earth and it's resources are finite, predation and suffering are inevitable. Peace can only exist when the available resources far surpass what we can utilize, and eventually our needs will scale to the available resources and create conflict again.
Bonus reading: https://www.slatestarcodexabridged.com/Meditations-On-Moloch
>>
>>16368998
Because there is no loving all powerful God, it just is what it is
>>
>>16368998
I woke up this morning to my GF giving me a blowjob with my morning wood. Went out and got breakfast and now I'm taking drugs while I get to work painting.

Life isn't so shitty.
>>
>>16368998
There are a few modernish blogs that articulate the answer to this such as lastpsychiatrist, nick land's stuff, deleuze&guattari, slatestarcodex, gervais principle etc but 99% of their content is filler. I will give you the answer in one paragraph:

>Beings that evolve under the forces of natural selection gradually tend towards evolving whatever version of motivations, drives and desires leads to the highest rate of successful reproduction. In an environment of scarcity (such as the Earth), the resulting psychology of the descendants is for such beings to be kind to their friends and to treat everyone else in the world with greed, vanity and self-righteous hypocrisy, all with as much of a facade of politeness as they have the energy to maintain. You are one such being surrounded by many other such beings.
>>
>>16369838
Wait 2 weeks
>>
>>16369838
Life only favors people who never give up and always look up to shit. Just because you're are living good doesn't mean everyone is, but only the luckiest and strongest succeed in life anyways.
>>
File: images.jpg (11 KB, 244x206)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
To reach para.dice, we must go beyond chaos and chance by becoming agents of order
>>
>>16372515
Awww
>>
>>16369442
Kyuuute
>>
>>16369595
It's not completely true though. If I so desired, I could easily aquire vastly more resources than I currently use/have. Yet I choose to lay on the couch and browse 4chan.
So it's not true to say that hyper competitive organisms win over non-competitive.
Also I have kids. So can't use the "lost the genetic game" argument.
>>
>>16373160
>So it's not true to say that hyper competitive organisms win over non-competitive.
What leads you to that conclusion?
The kids of a billionaire will have a far easier life than your kids, and will probably have more kids than them. Any changes to taxation policy will affect your descendants more than a billionaire's, any unforeseen disasters pose much more of a risk to your descendants. In the long stretch, the billionaire's DNA will most probably reach further than yours, and your DNA is more likely to go extinct sooner.
Just because you dropped out of the race doesn't mean you're ineligible to lose.

Right now we live in a transitional period. Recently we managed to reach far more resources than we ever could before in the past (the industrial revolution and its consequences) but we're starting to push close to the limit of those resources. The peace and high comfort level of our times can be almost entirely attributed to the fact that it had so far been easier to attain more resources by technological advancement and labor than by conflict and unscrupulous means. The birth rate and migration issues most western countries face now are one of the first signs that we're moving back towards fierce competition.
>>
>>16368998
>Scientifically speaking...
>Philosophical question
>>>/his/
>>
>>16368998
The suffering is caused by limited resources that forces life to struggle for survival.
>>
>>16373965
It's not the lack. It's the format and how to change it for a given requirement.
>>
File: 1723112958895076m.jpg (75 KB, 1024x1024)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>16368998
Life in general is mundane. If it's not mundane it's like heaven or hell. But the brain isn't designed to be a punishment or reward but to drive behaviors to preserve genetic code. So even if life becomes heaven or hell it just sets it to mundane again to drive actions in that context.

Pleasure and suffering are just survival tools like claws or fangs, twisted by higher thought into abstract desires.

>>16369142
>Oftentimes, that means other organisms.
Not if you're an autotroph chad.
>>
File: 2937_f8c2.png (129 KB, 500x667)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
>>16368998
>Why doesn’t the universe exist as a place where fewer than 99% of people and animals are getting fucked over?
Because god is either ignorant, sadistic, or powerless/selfish.
>>
>>16375738
Athiests are always stuck in this concept of an Abrahamic god, it's soporific listening to them at this point
>>
>>16375745
But that's wrong you idiot.

Just so you know the jist.
>>
>>16375745
Shortly. I want enough money to have great interest if interest ranges between 100-400x the way I do it. To make a mobile operating base and possible new capital city, some population to train into my personal army, and then we will serve you. Consider the amount you want to pay me, then consider investment.
>>
>>16375749
You will get this money back in full, I only spend interest.
>>
>>16368998
That is why all advanced enough civilizations go virtual, cloak their star, and move far away from their galaxy center so they become extremely hard to find by parasites and predators.
>>
Follow me.
>>
no
>>
File: CatOverload.webm (878 KB, 460x460)
878 KB
878 KB WEBM
>>16368998
It doesn't have to be like that at all, you just have to find friends that you can trust. Just help and build up each other, the effort does not have to be great but the payoff will be.
There are many griefers out there, they cannot be helped and they are the crabs in the bucket.

That way we can all have good things.

>>16372706
I have a large collection of comfy stuff. We all need it.
>>
File: chain of suffering.jpg (110 KB, 500x772)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>16377371
>you just have to find friends that you can trust
that doesn't change the laws of physics, which is what the anon is talking about. Friends/family/good times are just a palliative, it doesn't resolve the underlying problem.
>>
>>16378116
Think of it as entropy, generally it increases, we cannot reverse it, but on a local scale we can control it. That goes beyond the palliative.
>>
>>16375401
This

It's not necessarily about limited resources, which can come into play when times are very bad, but your brain must trick you in getting you off your ass. Your brain feeds you ever increasing desires to keep you moving, producing and consuming. When you don't get what you want, you suffer. Even if it's an intangible that has nothing to do with resources, such as "living up to your potential"

The more one thinks about this senseless dopamine cycle, the more apparent suffering they see. A lot of life these days is spent waiting in line, zoning out at a desk, or laying in bed with excess energy from the day. So over time more and more people spend more time thinking about this, thus the sensation of suffering increases globally

A lot of zen stuff and Eastern religions is simply the recognition is of this process. The "self" they try to dissolve is that part of you that wants to mindlessly consume. They have some interesting ideas, but in the end I don't think anyone has really solved this problem
>>
>>16378116
Reproducing and having kids fixes the problem of entropy and delays the inevitable. Why not live more and do better? Wait until technology improves, find love, find friends to relieve the pain.
>>
>>16368998
The brain is a system, and it can generate happiness ,misery ,or any other emotion to situations around it if the brain is constructed in such a way. So our brains evolved to adapt to our natural environment aka prehistoric times, so you would get happy with eating , having a close community of 20, doing exercise in a near perfect physical shape body,etc. However technology advanced much more faster obtaining a sedentary life style <spoiler>In more ways than one</spoiler>, so we seem "misserable" because our brains aren't programmed for this.

Look at animals in the zoo and domesticated animals, most zoo animals are depressed ,obsessed ,and need drugs to function,while domesticated animals had time to evolve accommodate .The dogs <spoiler>not the inbreed ones </spoiler> for example don't mind not being a wild animal and most get the best mental state when being around humans while wild animals go skiso if its around humans ,just read about any chimp or dolphin social experiment.

Plus we have several """bugs""" in our program as we can exploit dopamine and other chemicals for quick happiness that would limit it self out in nature instead of burning out like in our times.For example food, in nature there is a limited amount of food so it's good to have such a desire for it, however as nowadays we can have nearly unlimited food your brain will not be preferred for it and your brain will think that not having that flow of dopamine constantly is pain as the "good time" for you is something only a king could enjoy,I mean you can now eat shitons of process food and jerk all day if you want.

>>16378400
>>16375401

What anons here propose has some truth however this goes back to our brain having been adapted to our natural origin.If we had been comfortable just slacking off and being fine with the status quo instead of hating it and chasing it as anons said we wouldn't survive the multiple changes in climate ,as humans would relocate themselves
>>
>>16378116
Entropy and any other law as everything in the universe is neutral,but your brain thinks it as a negative as it thinks there would be much suffering this law will produce.However your brain cannot predict the mental state of those in the future and perhaps your point of view ignores all those years of happiness future people could have due to a possible better technology.Plus you hate the idea of other suffering or the end of entropy because our brains are designed for that ,no species want undeserved pain or the end of all without justification, however there could be a theoretical human brain that just doesn't care about existential threats is happy as it is,think of psyco/sociopaths, or simple brain models like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w41gH6x_30
and be happy doing there activities.

However most in here are looking for a solution to "suffering" so my lazy guesses are to explore more brain and how it works so we can build a true endless feedback loop , or to adapt society according to our mental needs
>>
>>16369789
we're involuntarily "thrown" into the abyss of chaos that is the universe, life and creation and by observation we bring it into existence. ot YOU bring it into existence.

this is your world anon, I never asked to be roped into it.
maybe it's YOUR OWN fault !!!!!!!!
>>
File: Jeremy Bentham.jpg (14 KB, 240x340)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>16368998
https://benthams.substack.com/p/why-theres-evil

>There might be various unknown reasons. Perhaps putting us in a universe like this is valuable because it is required for various hard-to-guess afterlife goods. Perhaps there’s some consequential decision that we’ll make in 5 quadrillion years that God knows will be positively shaped by us being in an indifferent universe. Given that we only witness 70 years of our lives or so, we’re not in a position to guess whether there are such great afterlife goods. This theodicy also avoids the problems with skeptical theism, because it only requires positing an unknown reason for one thing—making an indifferent universe. But surely thinking that God has some unknown reasons to do one particular act doesn’t produce global skepticism or any of the other untenable results of skeptical theism—we already know that we’re wrong sometimes!

>Perhaps being in an indifferent world, one whose features resemble the typical godless world that contains us and where we can know about the broad features of the world, strengthens our relationship with God. To consider an analogy: your relationship with your eventual spouse might be strengthened by the fact that you spent time without them. Having time without someone might strengthen your relationship with them. Similarly, time spent in a world apart from God might strengthen one’s eventual relationship with God, a relationship that is of infinite value.

>Perhaps struggling through an indifferent world, not being micromanaged by God, is uniquely valuable for soul-building. Just going through a narrowly tailored set of challenges doesn’t give one the knowledge that they can overcome hardships in the same way that overcoming a random suite of challenges does. The benefits of soul-building, as of the other benefits on this list, last forever.
>>
>>16369595
Finally a good response.
>>16373160
The reward functions which previously evolved to help you maximize your reproductive viability are now harming them because we have created an artificial environment with different optimal behaviors.
Same as how loving sugar is advantageous in nature, but leads to health issues when you are able to mass produce it and put it in everything.
>>
File: 68175422_p0_master1200.jpg (267 KB, 953x1200)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
>>16369789
It is interesting then that religions based on a loving and all powerful God are prospering more than others.

>>16368998
So what have you done for your fellow man?
>>
>>16368998
I would disagree with your point but you would want to look into population dynamics and ga(y)me theory
>>
>>16368998
Life isn’t shitty. Just stop being poor and work enough to afford a nice vacation
>>
>>16380682
>So what have you done for your fellow man?
I always make sure to treat him as I am treated.
>>
>>16384754
>I always make sure to treat him as I am treated.
That could be rather grim. To build the world, we have to better than that.
>>
>>16386380
POACH - USE - ? - JOKE
>>
>>16386385
What did anon mean by this?
>>
>>16375738
>Because god is either ignorant, sadistic, or powerless/selfish.
Lack of understanding of nuance, completely teenager/aspiepilled response. Most evils are a consequence of being given free will, without the juxtaposition between each other there would be no "good" nor "evil".
Also good and evil is a manmade concept. Retards who spin this nigger platitude of yours are dumber than the christcucks they are belittling.
>>
>>16386380
You first.
>>
File: 1679625312250939.webm (2.77 MB, 576x324)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB WEBM
>>16369442
>>
File: 1661021418417213.webm (2.33 MB, 720x1280)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB WEBM
>>16389308
I am already doing that.

>>16389320
Comfy.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.