[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sweaty-man.jpg (50 KB, 600x399)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
why humans are the only creatures that sweat?
>>
>>16374418
They aren't. Milk is a form of sweat. Literally all mammals sweat.
>>
>>16374418
We needed a way to cool down when our ancestors came down from the trees to live in the grasslands.
We need to be hairless for sweat to work effectively, which is fine during the hot days on the savannah, but even in Africa it can get cold at night.
Thankfully humans discovered fire and invented clothing, blankets etc so we could keep ourselves warm at night and retain our supercooling ability for working and hunting during the day.
>>
>>16374418
primates are smelly as sign of dominance
>>
File: 1719069975704483.jpg (20 KB, 269x283)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>16374430
yeh but why this evolutionary solution is so unique to humans?
there are other bald mammal's like hippos and shit but they don't sweat at all why is that
>>
>>16374460
Hippos live most of their lives in water. They don't need to sweat to cool off
>>
File: >he doesn't know.png (318 KB, 517x498)
318 KB
318 KB PNG
>>16374418
>>
File: IMG_7473.jpg (9 KB, 300x168)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>16374418
Horses sweat
>>
>>16374418
Many mammals sweat, just not to the extent that humans do. Dogs and cats have sweat glands on their paws. Cows do sweat, just at only a fraction of the rate of humans. Horses sweat more than humans.
>>
>>16374563
Horse sweat is very different to human sweat. Much less water content, much more lipids.
>>
>>16374418
>why humans are the only creatures that sweat?
Not true, horses sweat too, for example.
>>
>>16374418
>why humans are the only creatures that sweat?
Because horses don't exist!
>>
>>16374430

Can you provide evidence that sweating decreases temperature?
>>
>>16374418
Because we're the best
>>
File: file.jpg (152 KB, 1500x1477)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>16374418
hippos and horses both sweat
horse sweat is kinda foamy
>>
>>16374418
because its an elite way of cooling down during physical activity

we are not the only ones though. Most pawed animals sweat, horses and donkeys sweat and many primates sweat as well
>>
>>16374661
it's still sweat
>>
>>16376013
This is my new favorite conspiracy theory.
>>
>>16374418
Sweating excessively is peak thermal regulation especially since: 1. We evolved to live in very diverse environments 2. Helps with regulating when doing physical activities, which in turn hepls us be "endurance hunters" (Only a few animals can out endurance us, and most of them have been bred by us; siberian sledge dogs, some horses). 3. Helps with regulating salt to offset the kidney.
>>
>>16374547
>that image
>that filename
Top kek
>>
>>16376762
>Sweating excessively is peak thermal regulation
Legs evaluate the data.
>The body has a natural temperature it tries to be at
>If body exceeds this temperature, it sweats
>Constant and excessive sweating implies the body is constantly overheated
>Contrast with a body that rarely sweats
>This body rarely overheats
>The sweating body is better regulated
>Implying the body, constantly being overheated, is peak regulated
The reason fat people sweat buckets is because they're unhealthy. Same for bodybuilders carrying too much mass. True for people rarely sweat unless doing intense physical activity.
>>
>>16376869
Sweating excessively as in more than other animals. Some animals have sweat glands but way fewer than us,.
>>
>>16376869
>The reason fat people sweat buckets is because they're unhealthy
It because fat is good heat insulator that makes cooling less effective (see sea mamals swimming in cold water). Also obese people spend more energy to carry their weight and this produces more waste heat.
>>
>>16376013
Anecdotally I feel much cooler when I wipe my shaven armpits full of sweat off with toilet paper
>>
>>16376869
>non-sweating savanna deer thing vs human
>deer runs away until it collapse from overheating
>human sweaty chad jogs up to it and chuck a spear into it
that's the power of sweat
>>
>>16374418
Dogs sweat too, just by panting, so through their tongues. Most mammals sweat.
>>
>>16374661
Lipids, really ? why would they sweat energy out ?
>>
>>16374716
>>16376198
this is a secretion and not sweat and it is not for cooling purposes but for detoxification
>>
>>16378183
Yeah, it's called "spermatazoa" and secreted in response to bestial stimulation from yet another horse fucker.
>>
>>16378183
sweat is a secretion and you're wrong it's for cooling they do it when they work hard.
>>
>>16376013
holy shit I need to start using this lmao
>>
>>16376013
i just feel the cooling effect, moreso with a breeze. Sweaty+wind=feel cold.
>>
>>16374661
in that case horses are the only creatures that sweat. some will claim humans sweat as well, but human "sweat" is very different from horse sweat.
>>
greetings from /mlp/
>>
>>16379775
dire consequence indeed. OP's karma is fucked for many kalpas to come.
>>
>>16378213
But why is it all foamy n shit? What about it is making it secrete like that and why specifically at the neck?
>>16378190
I think thats just you letting your fantasies in to conversation anon because as far as I know, nut doesnt secrete from any animals neck
>>
>>16374427
Milk is blood, sweaty
>>
there are several other animals that cat sweat, and some cat only sweat in certain spots, like cats. i dont know if humans are the only animal that uses sweating extensively to cool down on basically the whole body (probably not) but this atleast isnt common
>>
>>16382702
>and some cat only sweat
and some can only sweat
>>
>>16382702
>i dont know if humans are the only animal that uses sweating extensively to cool down on basically the whole body
i never really thought about it but i looked it up and yes it seems this is exactly true for horses
>>
>>16382672
>But why is it all foamy n shit
Lots of protein in the sweat which allows bubbles to be made, fur rubs up against itself a lot during movement, the friction of the fur makes bubbles out of the protein water.
>>
It's a bitch in winter. Sweating makes feet damp, which then cools dramatically and you get ice blocks for feet. If only we had wolf genes that never sweat on the body but very miniscule amount on the feet for running grip, that would make life so much easier to stay warm in winter. Also most true cold adapted animals have a counter current heat exchange vein and artery layout to their limbs whereas human have the very lossy inefficient con current heat exchange system. That's the reason 40kg huskys can sleep on the snow and stay healthy whereas big 90kg+ men can lose their fingers from a short period of time in the cold. Animals as big as humans should not be losing our fingers in the cold but we do because of our retarded vein layout. It's hypothesised that neanderthals had counter current veins. That would be nice.
>>
File: CounterCurrent.jpg (307 KB, 1058x898)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
>>16384500
https://www.snexplores.org/article/no-frostbite-dogs

https://iditarod.com/edu/a-super-circulatory-system/

https://phys.org/news/2012-01-dogs-ice-paws.html
>>
>>16379698
top kek
>>
>>16384500
>Also most true cold adapted animals have a counter current heat exchange vein and artery layout to their limbs
That's really neat actually, I didn't know that.
>>
>>16376013
Water has a very high specific heat capacity, it will literally suck up energy from surrounding things with lower specific heat capacity.
>>
>>16384556
nigga its because evaporation is exothermic
obviously your explanation can't be right because the sweat is about the same temperature as your body since it is literally produced inside it
>>
>>16384693
>exothermic
I mean endothermic
>>
>>16374418
Are you actually retarded
It would be more accurate to say “why humans the only gross fags that sweat profusely like waterfalls?”
Because it’s true
Humans sweet and smell a lot worse than other animals
>>
>>16377369
>shaven
You’re more woman than man
>>
>>16374661
Disgusting ,ban all sweat
>>
>>16384509
Lot a birds have it too. It's the optimal layout for blood carrying vessels. Maybe one day we'll engineer it into us
>>
>>16374418
They aren’t. Dogs sweat from their tongue. That said, sweat is excellent at thermoregulation
>>
>>16384938
>sweat is excellent at thermoregulation
At cooling, once the temp drops lower than 16c it starts to become a liability, with excessive cooling
>>
>>16384815
There's got to be some tradeoffs though.
Maybe the rather complex tactility in our hands requires higher heat peripherally
>>
>>16385004
I wouldn't think so. I imagine it's an exclusively optimum configuration. It's just better in one very specific niche environment, that being the Saharan desert region where having the ability to absolutely dump heat is an adaptive physiological trait. Everywhere else it's maladaptive
>>
>>16385004
>>16385145
Also, counter current would average slightly warmer hands. Initially in a cold environment a dogs paws might be cooler than a humans but as we lose heat rapidly our core would shut off most blood going to the hands whereas the dog would still have a marginal amount flowing at all times. So over the long term a dogs paws with counter current would actually average higher temps then a humans who would start off warmer but then get progressively colder over the proceeding 10s of minutes untill it gets so cold the hand temp goes below freezing and ice form s inside the cells( frostbite) all the while dog is literally chilling in the corner unbothered. I tested this last year actually with a lazer thermometer. I was indoors in winter with the fire burning, my hands read 33c. My dog was outside sitting down staring at the birds during dusk, must have been 2c outside. Dogs paws read about 7c. I stayed out there smoking about 3 American spirit cigarettes, which if you know em, a typcial cig is a 3 minute affair but spirits are closer to 10 minutes. After half an hour with light layer on of shirt and denim jacket I read my hands: 4c. Just 2 above the ambient temperature, meanwhile the dog? 7c again, the exact same. So you can see if I stayed out there all night eventually as temps dipped even lower I'd risk losing my fingers. Anyway, inside the pair of us went to rewarm ourselves and I watched the green knight, an Arthurian legend film by david lowery,( very strange but lots of menaing to it's content so it was a confusing but deep experience). In conclusion, counter current beats con current everytime unless you live in an oven and like to go on long jogs
>>
>>16374418
we aren't though, dogs sweat from their tongue, cats on the paws etc etc
we sweat because of cooling, not only the liquid falling in, but when wind hits, it cools us down
>>
So explain why some people's sweat smells bad and some people's sweat doesn't smell bad
>>
>>16385762
Diet high in carbs/sugars smells worse apparently and after that it's luck of the draw genetics. Some people just reek and others are mild to neutral. Also sexual pheromones have an influence on overall BO.
>>
>>16374460
Could have something to do with humans being able to carry water with them unlike other animals.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.