[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1709429929942.jpg (629 KB, 1078x1211)
629 KB
629 KB JPG
>...and that's how I got my engineering degree! It was tough, but definitely worth it!
What are your thoughts on women getting STEM degrees? Should we encourage women to get more into Biology, Physics, Chemistry or into Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or any other STEM degrees?
>>
>>16377808
Sure.
>>
stem degrees are worthless beyond cs at top unis
>>
>>16377808
Just the smart ones.

>we also need more hot ones.
>>
>>16377818
Any classical engineering (mechanical, chemical, civil or electrical) is pretty good.
>>
>>16377808
>Should we encourage more people of any type to crowd us out of our own profession?
>>>/sci/sqt
>>
>>16377808
"do you remember anything you learned?"
>of course i did anon!
"explain to me what a reynolds number is and why it's important for applications in fluid mechanics"
>uh well it's um... it's one of those... um...

They're really handing out engineering degrees to anyone these days. Everyone knows women can't do STEM.
>>
As someone who works in engineering and now has to deal with 80% of our new hires being women, it’s awful.

I’m convinced beyond all doubt that women’s brains are simply wired differently. They are just not cut out for difficult, technical work.
>>
No, engineering is already jeeted. We don't need more competition from people who actually have work authorization and citizenship.
>>
>>16377992
>engineering is already jeeted
How? Elaborate.
>>
>>16377967
>"explain to me what a reynolds number is and why it's important for applications in fluid mechanics"
Demanding tone means she can disregard your question without making it clear that she doesn't know the answer. You should be faking genuine curiosity instead.
>>
>>16377967
>"explain to me what a reynolds number is and why it's important for applications in fluid mechanics"
This sound more like a topic a high schooler would get asked to elaborate about in the form of an essay, not something you would ask an engineer. It would out you as a pseud.
Off the top of my head, the reynolds number is some fuzzy number related to the onset of turbulence in a fluid, somewhat indicating how easy or not turbulence happens.
Didnt google it and im not even an engineer, though i have been called one as i have worked in engineering (without an engineering degree, and nothing to do with fluids). I dont think my answer is very accurate not that it would matter, as what is important is the instinctive understanding of physical behavior. Anyone can just check some book when it comes time to do calculations, but you must understand enough first to even know what to look for.
>>
>>16377808
women meant to be dishwashers. nothing more nothing less.
>>
>>16377808
Yes, we should, and we will.
>>
I resent women
>>
>>16377967
Damn you really btfod this spectre you conjured in your mind my fellow redpilled kekistani
>>
>>16377981
Studies show that (biological) women tend to perform better at jobs that work with people, like healthcare, education, etc. while men tend to perform better in more technical fields, like engineering.
>>
>>16378348
And I suppose these studies somehow avoided the replication crisis
>>
>>16377808
Girl with EE degree couldn't tell me what a field effect transistor was, or how it was different form a MOSFET. She then told me she had classes during Covid and drank during them and cheated on her exams.
>>
>>16378356
What do you mean with replication crisis?
>>
>>16378467
Almost no studies in the social sciences replicate, they are bunk.
>>
File: Lie.png (239 KB, 511x410)
239 KB
239 KB PNG
>>
>>16378879
Your point is?
>>
>>16377981
All the people, men or women, who work at my firm are competent and useful…
>>
>>16378153
This anon actually knows how to navigate clown world
>>
File: IMG_3680.jpg (72 KB, 512x512)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>16377981
What field? When I was in mechanical engineering (thankfully had the foresight to switch majors and become a physics chad) there were 3 women in my class of 50.
>>
File: trvke.jpg (78 KB, 1024x870)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>16379333
>Trips
Launch codes accepted.
>>
File: 1680740642969181.jpg (1.04 MB, 3142x3286)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
>>16377938
civil engineers are fucking pathetic
>>
>>16379422
Well, civil engineering. How about the other ones? (Mechanical, chemical, electrical)
>>
>>16379430
cs still mogs
look up the compensation on levels fyi and teamblind
note that it's the compensation, not just the salary
>>
>>16377818
Hard math and physics are the only degrees that matter. Everything else is trivial bullshit that even women and Pajeets can cheat their way through.
>>
>>16379436
...pajeet women too?
>>
>>16379436
math and physics degress get no jobs lol
you need a PhD to fight for jobs that pay the same as swe
>>
>>16379430
It depends on the degrees. My field would probably be best classified as hardware engineer on levelsDOTfyi. Comp for it is above backend hardware engineer comp (your typical software "engineer"), but it typically requires more education to get into hardware design.

Meanwhile ML software engineers on levels are comped substantially more and have comparable levels of education to those in analog design. Albeit the YoE of people who have input their comp is noticeably lower with analog engineers, so that may suggest it is easier to break into if you meet the requirements.

MechE comp is noticeably lower than all of this, but not as pathetic as civil.
>>
>>16379449
I realized I personally probably fall into either the analog or ASIC subcategories of hardware engineer (I am in RFIC). ASIC is 215k while Analog is 193k. We still get mogged by AI/ML people though, but outside of management it is pretty comfy.
>>
>>16379449
>>16379484
But what did you study at college?
>>
>>16379485
Quick response. My UG was in Electrical Engineering but you cannot get into these fields with only a UG. Validation, Verification, and QA are probably more UG-only. 99% of people in my field and related have electrical or ECE degrees because it is very hard to self-teach hardware. Good luck getting into anything other than verification "mines" for anything with -IC in that name with only UG. There definitely are people who do non-research oriented masters programs though, so you can probably get away with a 4+1 or something.
>>
>>16379489
Also should note I am currently going back to school for my PhD (sub-sub-sub category type niche shit). I am NOT currently in industry.
>>
>>16379491
PhD at an Ivy League or similar, I hope.
>>
>>16379494
Most ivies are not actually ranked highly in EE. There are really two that are pretty prestigious. But yeah, similar vibe if ivy is a stand-in for "top x%". The tippy-top school in my field does not really do a ton of work in my niche unfortunately (MIT), so there was no advisor there for me and thus I didn't even both to apply. I am very happy with where I landed as the guy who I most wanted to research under in the country will be my advisor starting in 2025.
>>
>>16379494
>PhDs
>at an Ivy League
>>
>>16379441
>math and physics degress get no jobs lol
Who is paying me then?
>>
>>16377808
I don't care about the identity of people, as long as standards aren't lowered to include more of a certain variety of person.
As long as everyone is operating on the same level of cognitive ability (which is gatekept by a standard) then it literally does not matter.
>>
Lots of talk itt about
>my field pays better than yours!
Esp from cs and ee retards. But here's a reality check: tech is dead.

Regarding the topic: I met a Brazilian female engineer a while ago at a restaurant, and she couldn't do a fucking division. But then I (a college dropout) remember that friends in the top engineering I went to couldn't do basic fucking sums in their heads either...
>>
>>16380966
Evidently employers do not care much about your mental arithmetic if you can do the work that actually makes them money. I don't see how remembered DMSBR or whatever makes you better than someone with a engineering degree.
>>
>>16381086
I mean, sure. That's what I meant to say, it doesn't really matter, but it kinda sucks IMO that people who I used to assume would be able to have a grasp of basic math, who should be able to make quick calculations to have a decent idea of what to expect when designing a system or whatever, really lack those basic skills.
Knowledge and technical skills > basic HS math (or even general education (considering that many of these same engineers also wrote like shit)) skills, but having more rounded professionals would be nice.
But hey, I'm the college dropout. I'm the failure here, so, whatever.
>>
>>16381086
>bla bla bla
auxiliary intellectual talents are a good proxy for competence in their "major" field.
>>
>>16378153
Kek, actually i remember when I was young and i noticed a phenomenon. I would meet women who had STEM degrees and ask them questions because I was really interested in it. Without fail, I noticed they always got extremely flustered and even angry despite I just genuinely wanted to learn more about what they studied. I noticed this in a variety of other places.

I finally realized that the women who were proclaimed "experts" in various fields almost invariably intepreted my questioning as a challenge to their authority and identity. That was why they always responded with such hostility. Likewise I noticed for the most part men were usually more than happy to discuss a topic they were passionate or interested in, they always had the best anecdotes, explanations, and would point me where I can learn more.

This isn't really exclusively gender, more that there's a type of person who has less interest in a topic but uses it as a costume to wear, they basically want the association of being considered something without actually being that.
>>
>>16377808
got female coworker
earned her masters very recently
ultimate tomboy
also a pretty good coworker
would recommend
boss admits that its kind of odd but as a person shes as valuable as every guy in the R&D dept.
>>
>>16377808
I don't see why women need to be encouraged to go into STEM, when there is literally nothing stopping them.
If they want to go into STEM, they should just go into STEM. Never understood what the problem was.
Also, do we need more STEM?
>>
>>16377808
i see so many of these tiktokers and girls on dating apps that think they're hot shit cause "look at me, im a pretty girl that's an engineer! breaking gender norms!"

No, daddy paid for your degree and you cozied up with nerds/profs throughout your undergrad to get an admittedly good GPA.

I do find women tend be more organized than men and thus can do well in math. they lack creativity though and treat engineering like it's accounting in the workplace, doing what's purely asked and not going in detail
>>
>>16381920
>women who were proclaimed "experts" in various fields almost invariably intepreted my questioning as a challenge to their authority and identity
This is an extremely dangerous type. If it is legal, make sure you record the conversation. It is your only way to counter serious allegations years down the road. When it is her words against your words, you know who will be believed.
>>
I work for a certain large company and the female engineers (who make up ~40% of the population and rising) are some of the most hyper competent individuals I've ever met. It may be due to cutthroat artificial selection in our hiring processes but it has changed my perspective, and I think I now believe that everyone is retarded except for a small fraction of the population, and it takes diligent hiring to weed them out. Of course, having HR departments with employees of higher than room temperature IQ is a feat in its own right, but with that filter in place, the men and women I work with are all highly intelligent team players that I am deeply proud of supporting. Go ahead, type out your response calling me cringe or retarded, I'm not reading it.
>>
>>16382225
Interesting, but in my field there are almost no women who work with me. What sort of company do you work at?
>>
File: occupations.png (194 KB, 500x876)
194 KB
194 KB PNG
>>16377981
>women’s brains are simply wired differently
Verifiably true in many ways.
>They are just not cut out for difficult, technical work
I call horseshit.
I'm currently studying an undergrad applied maths course (differential equations, vector calculus, etc). It's online and mostly attracts working students well past typical undergrad age, either retraining or studying for fun. Very motivated people, not clueless impressionable teenagers.
Looking at my fellow students they're roughly 50/50 male/female. Many of the staff are women, and they seem to be grizzled veterans not recent diversity hires.

This doesn't necessarily mean that everyone on my course plans to do the same thing with their new skills. It's possible that many of the men plan to go into engineering while many of the women plan to do academic research, for example. I haven't asked. I'm just saying there's no contradiction between "men and women are similarly interested in, and capable of, difficult technical topics" and "men and women tend to do different kinds of work".

It sounds like your company mostly appeals to men but is desperate to "improve" their DEI statistics and so hires virtually any woman who applies, however unqualified.
That doesn't mean qualified women don't exist, just that most of them don't want to work for your company.

>>16377808
>Should we encourage women to get more into [STEM]
In cases where women who want to study it face specific systemic hurdles which prevent or discourage them from doing so then attempts should be made to break down those barriers and promote inclusion.
However no attempts need to be made to artificially promote engagement where no intrinsic interest exists. There are very few female motor mechanics and very few male nursery workers. There's nothing wrong with that state of affairs, no problem that needs to be fixed.
>>
>>16377808
Women should be encouraged to be ambitious and not complain if they aren’t qualified. The Soviets had it right
>>
>>16382584
>I'm currently studying an undergrad applied maths course (differential equations, vector calculus, etc). It's online
Imagine thinking your opinion matters LMAO

>Looking at my fellow students they're roughly 50/50 male/female. Many of the staff are women
I and my male coworkers have had "very motivated" female coworkers ask me for "help", i.e., to do their assignments, many times...
>>
>>16383331
The idea that women would happily sign up for such a thing at about the same rate as men seriously threatens your "they're just not cut out for it" theory, so to avoid confronting the prospect that it might be wrong, you're choosing to dismiss my lived experience while reiterating your own.
That's perfectly understandable and normal. Most people are uncomfortable when a strongly held belief of theirs is challenged.
>>
>>16380898
Me, your pimp. I am. Get back to work, whore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.