[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mold.jpg (39 KB, 860x493)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Is mold toxic before it forms fruiting bodies, when it just starts infecting something but there is nothing visible yet?? Do the fruiting bodies have higher levels of toxins than the mycelum?
>>
>>16380697
The mycelium is what's toxic, it's why you can't just scrape off the outer layer of mold and be fine, and why there are some foods that are permanently fucked once you see fruiting bodies (soft foods like fruits and bread) and some food that if you cut far enough around you're fine (hard foods like cheeses), because the mycelium can spread further in soft foods and not as far in hard foods.
>>
>>16380750
what if there is no visible mold yet? the mycelum forms first, lets say i leave milk in the open for a couple of days and the next day there is visible mold, would i be ingesting significant amounts of toxins if i drink some on that day?
>>
>>16381033
The mycelium is the toxic part even when there's no visible mold (the visible mold we see is the fruiting bodies).
>lets say i leave milk in the open for a couple of days and the next day there is visible mold, would i be ingesting significant amounts of toxins if i drink some on that day?
Yes, like I said especially for soft foods the mycelium spreads far and quickly.
>>
>>16380697
not all. but some. if you want to be safe assume that by the time it fruits the mycellium has spread throughout the medium its on.
>>
>>16381033
If your lucky, you just get yogurt
If you're unlucky, food poisoning
>>
is the mycelium tasteless before it starts making fruiting bodies? would you detect that its gone bad?
>>
>>16382477
When food goes bad you can usually taste or smell it before you can see it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.