[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_9892.jpg (96 KB, 750x658)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
I used to think that some people are just gross and don't wash or use deodorant, but recently I came across a study called "Human scent as a first-line defense against disease".
>https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37794120/
This study argues that you may be able to sniff out sick individuals from the herd.

So I'm wondering, has anyone ever noticed certain people around them smelling strange or unpleasant? Not like unwashed t-shirts, armpits or sweaty shoes, but a strange sort of pungent, metallic, musty odor.

I can only think of one thing in the entire world that smells similar and that is a rotten cactus, which I smelled once as a kid.

What is it? Medication? Depression? Disease?
>>
>>16381189
fatty liver
>>
>>16381189

being black.
>>
>>16381319
>A nose for trouble
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3505402/
Apprently you can smell both liver and kidney problems, along with appendicitis, diabetes and lung disease.
>>16381320
Very funny. But this is also something I've been thinking about lately. It's not very hard to sniff a foreigner out, especially blacks.
But the smell in question is not even remotely similar.
I smell it from time to time to on seemingly healthy, normal, even attractive women.

Any other suggestions?
>>
>>16381189
There is a condition called stink nose, which rarely develops naturally, but can be a side effect of a nose job or a valid nose surgery.
Basically the person starts stinking like a carcass from the nose, but won't be aware of it, because we get used to our body odors so easily.
Its crippling and debilitating in social interactions, even though these people are not capable of transmitting a disease.
In most circumstances it is good to trust your nose. It is literally evolved to sniff out any danger and make you avoid the situation.
If someone smells unpleasant, it is usually for a good reason.
Evolution has no use for a sense which isn't helpful in most situations.
>I can only think of one thing in the entire world that smells similar and that is a rotten cactus, which I smelled once as a kid.
Have you never smelled "old people"?
In her last days, my granny smelled quite unpleasant. And so do most retirement homes.
>>
major histocompatibility complex
>>
>>16381641
>If someone smells unpleasant, it is usually for a good reason.
These are my exact thoughts as well. I'm trying to figure out why some girls smell like this even when they're otherwise clean and attractive.
>Have you never smelled "old people"?
Althought I never liked the sterile smell of dwindling life that's usually found in retirement homes or certain areas of hospitals, this is not the smell I'm thinking of.
The smell in question is much more intrusive.
>>16381643
Interesting, although I can't possibly imagine that a bad genetic match would be this obvious? You'd also think that this would be more noticeable on men by women than the other way around.
>>
>>16381189
no I can't smell a thing since first contracting covid-19
>>
File: pepe.jpg (20 KB, 218x231)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>INHALE
THE
>PUNGENT
AROMA
>>
>>16381658
>although I can't possibly imagine that a bad genetic match would be this obvious
do you have siblings? if you do you'll have noticed during their puberty and, especially if female, during certain periods of her cycle that their bedrooms (thoroughly imbibed by their scent) smelled absolutely repugnant
and this despite them being otherwise very clean and neat
your siblings are the ones who are the most MHC-similar to you, this also makes it so you don't wanna fuck your sister because your progeny will be dysgenic
>You'd also think that this would be more noticeable on men by women than the other way around.
when given the choice, women will choose MHC-heterozygous men to optimise progeny quality
if men do not give women the choice, then they just revert to spreading their seed as far as possible (even if she stank) and leaving the dysgenic children to die off

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.