[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: img_1_1726383540655.jpg (217 KB, 720x960)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
If humans went extinct today, how long would it take for rivers, lakes, ponds, and agricultural land to no longer be polluted? How long until lakes and rivers would be clean enough for a hypothetical human survivor to drink from?
>>
>>16382392
some rivers and lakes are never clean enough, of course, but in a matter of weeks without any waste drainage getting in any river that's not muddy by nature would be fine. for lakes, it depends.
>>
>>16382400
>never clean enough
I just mean clean from anything caused by humans (sewage, agricultural pesticides, etc)
>lakes, it depends
What would be the general timeframe? Weeks, months, years, longer?
>>
For it to be >99% clean it would take tens or even hundreds of thousands of years. For just to survive i think maybe 2 weeks.
>>
>>16382392
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silurian_hypothesis
>>
>>16382590
retard
>>
>>16382392
Probably not too long. 1000 years from now most of human society would be undetectable to the naked eye outside of some stonework and bronze. After all, steel rusts, wood decays, etc. Even plastics on the planet are getting slowly eaten up by microbes. I'd say 10k years would be enough to erase most of civilization.
>>
>>16382600
It's a bot
>>
>>16382479
What if we ignore plastic and metal and are concerned only with sewage, agricultural runoff/cow shit/fertilizer, that sort of stuff? The stuff that presents health hazards and affects drinkability of water? Would that be all dissipated within a few years from lakes and ponds? And soil near agricultural areas?
>>
>>16382424
It depends on the volumes of water displaced downstram, clean water coming upstream, levels of pollution.
Lake Maracaibo, for instance, will likely not be clean in many, many years. Lake Geneva would be fine fast.
>>
>>16382637
How many years for the worst of lakes?
And what about small ponds with no inflow or outflow?
Obviously the best we can do is make educated guesses but I am curious to hear more-educated guesses from people more educated than me
>>
>>16382684
>>
'forever' in 'forever chemicals' means 'forever'
>>
>>16383764
No, forever chemicals break down. Sure, it takes 1000 years or something, so it's impossible for them to break down at the human time scale, but they will be gone 1-2k years from now. What really will take a long time to break down are plastics, but bacteria can accelerate the process by degrading them for energy.

The most permanent part of human civilization is isotope deposition in the soil layer from nuclear testing, that's gonna stick around for pretty much forever.
>>
>>16382392
Not that long. There's a few spots in the world today that were previously occupied by humans and then subsequently vacated, the flora and fauna bounced right back. I think, as humans, we vastly overestimate our importance to this planet.
>>
>>16383802
>>16384011
How long for chemicals such as agricultural runoff to decay/dissipate enough for lakes and ponds to be drinkable (assuming lack of contaminants not caused by humans)? Weeks, months, years,.decades?
>>
>>16384049
>Without humans nature would collapse
Biggest retard on /sci/ award
>>
>>16382392

I expect that there would be some
issues if humans all just dropped dead suddenly.

For example, wouldn’t a lot of nuke plants eventually experience accidents if they aren’t properly shutdown?
>>
>>16384070
>>
>>16384070
Most are designed with passive containment/cooling in a failure state, so they'll just use up the fuel in a few decades and go dark. The few that would just spew shit after their fuel melted wouldn't even make a huge impact on the ecosystem, far less than humans do, and their measurable radioactivity would at worst last centuries.
Honestly you'd have to worry about some of the nasty chemical plants making small but long lasting dead zones, or certain mines causing sinkholes for a few centuries.
>>
>>16382614
>newcomers
>>
>>16382392
You gotta ride your faggy bike through the apocalypse
>>
>>16384068
He is right you stupid piece of shit.
>>
>>16384068
LMAO, you are the most stupid idiot here.
>>
>>16384041
Not all lakes and ponds are drinkable to start with.
>>
>>16382614
It's a race to the bottom. Anybody who unironically thinks the future of humanity lies in colonising the stars is extremely naive. At this rate the future of humanity will effectively be one giant mashup of Africa and India, massive civilisational regression where many aspects of modern technology will pass into folklore and mythology for future generations, unlikely to be achieved again.
>>
>>16385632
Your theory relies on technology being still maintained and developed further. With autistic whites bred out to extinction no on will be around to maintain electricity, refrigeration, computers, agriculture, etc. Asians might keep it going for a while though but the rest of the world is doomed.
>>
>>16382392
real humans died millenias ago, we're alien hybrids
>>
>>16385665
I think you misread that post.
>>
>>16382605
>Even plastics on the planet are getting slowly eaten up by microbes
ChatGPT 3 post.
>>
>>16385632
>It's a race to the bottom
>the future of humanity is one giant mashup of Africa and India
but who will be in control?
is there any group somehow slotting themselves into leadership positions?
>>
>>16382392
Never, because uranium exists.
>>
>>16382392
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Without_Us
>>
>>16382392
Just removing the population of India/South Asia would go a long way
>>
>>16382392
rivers would get clean within a few days, pretty much because they are running water. They only get dirty because sewers dump poo on them non stop
>>
File: plating-tank-liners.jpg (234 KB, 848x566)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>pH is 0.1% off the limit
>discharge solution, prepare another batch

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.