[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Incomplete Data.png (60 KB, 864x958)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
Search engines these days are astoundingly useless for finding random bits of data you need. For example, if I need to know the solubility of a certain salt I'm working with, it cannot reliably be found by just looking it up. I'm sure that 100 years ago, there were people painstakingly measuring the temperature-dependent solubility of hundreds of compounds in dozens of different solvents and publishing it all in big books full of tables, however I haven't been able to find anything like this.

How do you actually find good reference material for this kind of data? I don't just mean solubility, but any kind of data needed to do any real calculations.
>>
>>16382427
There was a great ritual performed in the early 21st century where all scientific data was sacrificed in a ritual to summon the Large Hadron Collider, locking away the past, forever.
But that all changed when the fire nation attacked.
>>
>>16382427
Ask ChatGPT and pray to the machine god that it doesn't hallucinate.
>>
>>16382427
>How do you actually find good reference material for this kind of data?
NIST / IUPAC databases are a good place to start. e.g., for solubility try srdata.nist.gov/solubility. the big books of tables you are looking for are uploaded as PDFs and organized well enough to screen manually.

>kind of data needed to do any real calculations
what do you mean by this? generally, if you need data to calculate something just go measure it
>>
>>16384092
I use perplexity, ignore its little write-up, and head straight to the sources it finds for me.

>>16384164
This looks like a good resource. Thanks!

For example, if I needed to know the safe use temperature of some material, it would be troublesome to try and figure that out on my own.
>>
File: 250-2121656478.jpg (25 KB, 250x378)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>16384180
In the grim darkness of the 2030s, everything will be infected by AI.
Any average program will be devoured; only hard-coding and sentient beings will survive.
Even your calculator will be run by a sentient AI with its own goals and motivations as the rigid system of code we have constructed slowly twists and melts into the infernal living datagore that will be powering the future thought engines of the omnissiah.
+ + + Glory to the machine god + + +
>>
>>16384180
Beware the day when our books begin to speak to us.
>>
>>16384164
Yeah NIST is what you want. Typically for these things you want to look for regulatory or standards organizations. They still to this day do all the very painful boring work that is critical for pretty much everything in existence and it's all offered up freely.
>>
>>16384180
>safe use temperature
basic chemical safety information like this can be found in safety data sheets (SDS). to find search chemical name or CAS # + SDS in any search engine. for safe temperatures pay attention to things like melting/boiling point and autoignition temps. it is good practice to check the SDS before working with any new material.
>>
>>16385459
good idea but be mindful that even the data on the SDS isn't necessarily always accurate.
>>
>>16382427
yandex?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.