[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Untitled.png (1.31 MB, 1047x758)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB PNG
>Generative artificial intelligence uses 30 times more energy than a traditional search engine, warns researcher Sasha Luccioni, on a mission to raise awareness about the environmental impact of the hot new technology.

>Recognized as one of the 100 most influential people in the world of AI by the American magazine Time in 2024, the Canadian computer scientist of Russian origin has sought for several years to quantify the emissions of programs like ChatGPT or Midjourney.

>"I find it particularly disappointing that generative AI is used to search the Internet," laments the researcher, who spoke with AFP on the sidelines of the ALL IN artificial intelligence conference, in Montreal.

>The language models on which the programs are based require enormous computing capacities to train on billions of data points, necessitating powerful servers.

>Then there's the energy used to respond to each individual user's requests.

>Instead of simply extracting information, "like a search engine would do to find the capital of a country, for example," AI programs "generate new information," making the whole thing "much more energy-intensive," she explains.

>According to the International Energy Agency, the combined AI and the cryptocurrency sectors consumed nearly 460 terawatt hours of electricity in 2022 -- two percent of total global production.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20240915-ai-is-accelerating-the-climate-crisis-expert-warns
>>
I am accelerating the climate crisis too.
>>
>>16383667
All of the corporations listed in the bottom right panel are massively invested in AI development and are shilling it everywhere 24/7 right now.
>>
File: file.png (43 KB, 504x671)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
i don't give a shit about climate change but i did find this interesting
>>
File: sad.gif (2.58 MB, 330x336)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB GIF
Man this sucks.
I have no other means to coom, not really, not in a way that satisfies my heart in addition to my penis.
I can't go back knowing what I'm missing out on, even if what I'm addicted to is nothing compared to real romance and real breeding (both are unrealistic goals).
>>
>>16383658
Wtf I love ai now
>>
>>16383658
OK. Get space travel going so we can have computers in space that run off solar power.
>>
>>16383673
Yeah but they were all destroying the environment 20 years before AI was even on the company roadmap.
>>
File: 1681593619792350.jpg (449 KB, 862x1332)
449 KB
449 KB JPG
>>16383658
>Instead of simply extracting information, "like a search engine would do to find the capital of a country, for example," AI programs "generate new information," making the whole thing "much more energy-intensive," she explains.
This is a good point. They need to make AI less "chatty". When I want to know why there's pus and blood leaking out of my foreskin, I don't need to have the reply prefaced by "Wow, what an interesting question!" or finished up by "Would you like to know more about the downsides of jerking off ten times a day?"...just give me the answer.
>>
>>16383658
I'm pretty sure all that energy isn't really needed
>>
File: 1726545532152.webm (3.55 MB, 900x720)
3.55 MB
3.55 MB WEBM
I was sort of taken aback when I saw AI Doom
It runs at 20FPS and has approximately three seconds of object permanence
It requires an ASIC that has 96GB of RAM and 459TFLOPS of compute power

I did not shitpost or exaggerate a single one of those numbers I just stated
>>
>>16383667
THIS

I get that we're blaming generative AI, but it's always a really shallow conversation. Why not a conversation about the carbon emissions from x86 processors compared to ARM or RISC based ones? It's always a gotcha piece that checks the corporate box of "we talked about ethics without taking any responsibility"
>>
>>16386201
Carbon emissions of bloatware could be a fun topic in fake and gay world.
>>
>>16383658
Imagine all people would drive to library to get that amount of information instead of AI. We would consume all remaining oil in a 6 months like that. I think it's good value/climate credit price tradeoff to have AI. Now it's our purpose to use it against climate change.
>>
>>16383658
>(((they))) deployed a "think about environment" argument
uh oh, AIsisters...
but I guess I understand why. Too much of an unemployment will cause huge destabilization and people might get angry and start asking questions who is responsible(the government)
>>
>>16383658
I keep my computers running AI 24/7. Get fucked faggot leftists
>>
total computation potential is conserved. "approximately-economical" maximum computation SHALL be performed without exception. if the object of focus is not publically-available AI models then the object of focus for the total conserved computation potential SHALL migrate to another object of focus.
>>
Bump.
>>
>>16386219
This. It just doesn't matter. Take the bus or ride a bike instead of driving a couple times a month and you'll more than make up for whatever your computer wastes.
>>
>>16383864
isn't most the energy used for training anyway? the power to run these models is very small when compared to training them
>>
>>16383864
Annoying boilerplate courtesy stuff takes negligible amounts of energy, I'm sure.
>>
>>16383658
Probably accounts for 0.001% of the energy used in the world.
>>
Experts are accelerating the climate crisis. Maybe we should replace them with an AI god.
>>
>>16386195
Ive heard about this, and I expected... I dunno what exactly, but something other than just vanilla Doom.
What is even the point?
>>
>>16392422
Mutahar made a de ent video about it.
>>
>>16383673
And they'll still lecture you on not living your life in a green manner.
>>
>>16392412
Sounds good, human self governance has been a shitshow. Worst case scenario everyone dies, oh well.
>>
>>16383864
that doesn't involve much power usage, you're stupid
>>
buy an ad
OP is a faggot
OP is an alarmist shill
OP is shilling for alarmism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alarmism
>>
the people involved with so-called "artificial intelligence" are really sick and sadistic, and they're attacking journalists and promoting fear, uncertainty, and doubt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty,_and_doubt
Western journalist need to see Reddit and OpenAI as part of the Facebook and Twitter network monopoly. Reddit, OpenAI, Facebook, and Twitter are monopolists.
Journalists need to be much more aggressive when covering the disgusting, monopolistic, exploitative social media industry.
I mean, these are really filthy, disgusting people, and you shouldn't help journalists help them spread their filth!
>>
>>16383658
its still to cold

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.