[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Winter is cooming and my father is already shidding himself over Euro regulations when it comes to heating with solid fuels.
He contacted a company that makes pic related which really looks like snake oil to me.

It's an insert that you put into chimney and it supposedly:
>increases heating efficiency (reduced fuel consumption) up to 40%
>reduces various emissions such as carbon monoxide, NOx, various unspecified organic compounds, dust and more
>Improves draft stability and improves resistance to wind back-draft
>Blocks out rain so it doesn't rain down the chimney
I can get two last lines as true, doesn't take a genius how it helps with those two things but the rest?
I mean, how 4.2kg (9.25 freedom-units) of stainless steel sheet metal without moving parts is able to do all those miraculous things?
Mind you, my boomer father is rather gullible when it comes to such things and instantly believes everything that is said on the internet, a trait which he carried over from TV.
He was right though about few things, like starting fire in fireplace at the top which resulted in less soot and cleaning required, although no noticeable savings in fuel which he probably was mostly after.
There's very little documentation on how this works provided by the producer. They do however supply buyers with bunch of papers that basically boil down to "the experts agree this thing works, here their stamp of approval". Nothing about their testing methodology in those papers though, just bunch of data.
>>
>>16386202
It definitely provides enhanced insulation which does all of those things. It costs around $500 around where I live and it would take about 3 to 4 years of diligent monitoring of costs to realize any savings.

While it's not snake oil, if it costs like $100 parts and labor, I would do it.
>>
>>16386202
Lot of older fireplaces waste ton of their energy, it's not impossible that by simply improving the chimney they can gain big increase in heating efficiency. For a standard situation you probably won't notice except the last 2 in the short term, which is still a good reason to at least cover your chimney anyways.
>>
>>16386207
>It costs around $500 around where I live and it would take about 3 to 4 years of diligent monitoring of costs to realize any savings.
>While it's not snake oil, if it costs like $100 parts and labor, I would do it.
how much do you pay per 1 ton of pellet?
>>
>>16386202
It's plausible. A traditional wood fire burns much cooler than its optimal temperature, which means 1) you don't get as much heat out of the wood (obv), but also 2) it has a lot more harmful emissions.

That second one is less obvious, but boils down to chemistry. Oxidizing carbon chains looks like this at high temperature:
> CxHy + O2 -> CO2 + H2O
But at lower temperatures you get
> ... -> ... + CO + C2
That is, carbon monoxide and soot. Same process for any nitrogen: at high temps it forms safe stable N2, but at lower temps you get NOx.

None of that guess toward endorsing this particular product, just saying that it's theoretically possible.
>>
Battery low. More if any.
>>
File: drock.jpg (1.11 MB, 2870x7165)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
good window insulation is the best place to put your money if you want to save money on heating bills, but the real problem making those bills expensive to begin with is shithead climate scientists constantly shilling lies about their fake global warming narrative in order to make energy excessively expensive. the people who sell the energy and who are reaping the profits off the global warming lies are the same people who fund all the global warming shilling.
>>
>>16386238
So you would expect this type of baffle to be optimizing air flow leaving the chimney which helps keep air feeding the fire and optimizing the burn temperature. In general, would that mean this is just stopping burping and other such things where air is pulled down into the chimney?
>>
>>16386251
OP here, that's what I'm asking
Inefficient burn of biomass implies it's burning incompletely due to lack of oxygen. It's why american Indians were making smoke signals by putting hides over fires (cutting oxygen supply and generating lots of smoke) and then letting the stored smoke go. Similarly If your cars engine is running rich, you can expect more smoke than usual out of exhaust pipe, same principle applies to fireplaces.
It's why when the fireplace is just starting to be lit it creates the most smoke, it still has to warm up and insufficient heat creates incomplete combustion. If you want to increase the efficiency of burn, you should make your fireplace hotter. Increasing airflow seems like a straightforward thing to do until you realize that you're basically increasing the rate at which heat is leaving your home out of chimney.
I believe this product is simply working on presumption that
>improved draft stability = more airflow = more heat = more gooder
but the more I think about it the more I realize it's not as simple
>>
File: damper.jpg (47 KB, 541x541)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>16386202
This is dependent on adjustability. If there isn't any adjustment happening then it won't be able to maximize fireplace efficiency. It can be too open or too closed for the desired fire intensity.
>>
>>16386202
I'm going to vote for scam.

First off, the principle is right about combustion, but the place to fix that is in the hearth, that is why there are fireplace inserts with fans. The electric fan and sensors in the insert maximize combustion. Fireplace inserts work; I doubt doing anything at the top of the chimney has any effect.

Secondly, when they made your chimney, the builder should have tested it for flow, and adjusted its height and bore accordingly. Unfortunately, most modern houses with fireplaces are made to be decorative, not effective, since the house is heated with a furnace, not a hearth.

So, assuming the chimney flows properly -- which is dependent upon its height, and the flow of air in your neighborhood, and your builder -- your best bet for efficiency is an hearth insert, not something that is messing with the already maximized flow of your chimney.
>>
>>16386694
yeah that's what I'm thinking
basically if fireplace and chimney was put together by someone competent (which usually means recently, not like a pre-war build) I doubt there's much to improve upon. Especially if there's thin or no smoke at all after fireplace fully warmed up since it signifies there's enough oxygen and heat for complete burn, meaning everything that could be turned into heat was turned into heat. Increased airflow in this situation decreases efficiency as now more hot air escapes trough chimney than it should.
I think best investment here would be a roof cam pointed at chimney where I can see how much smoke goes out and adjust draft flaps in hearth appropriately.
>>
>>16386202
Not directly related, but how do home liquid fuel/nat gas boilers work?
>>
>>16386202
>Euro regulations when it comes to heating with solid fuels.
The only thing europe innovates on is regulations.
>litterally banning 100,000 invention; fire
Total Government Death when?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.