[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1714724727164854.png (72 KB, 1112x1089)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
Dividing vectors like this isn't a "standard" notation but there's no good reason for it not to be.
>>
>>16386532
A notational convention along those lines could definitely be reasonable in some setting, although it might not have all the properties you might want from a division operation over a field. E.g. a vector space with a division operation would not form a field, because even when the notation is well defined*, the result of performing the operation is not another element of the vector space you're working in, but rather just a scalar in the underlying field of scalars.

*Moreover, the operation will not always be well defined, since e.g. there may not be a unique scalar whose product with B is closest to A. E.g. if you vector space is not topologically complete, and we we can find a sequence of scalars c_1, c_2, ... whose product c_i B --> A converges to A in the limit but never actually reaches it.
>>
>>16386532
>closest to A
define "closest" in terms of vectorspace axioms.
you'll find out that vectorspaces by themselves don't have enough structure to define closest beyond things being exactly equal to each other (i.e. their difference is the 0 vector).
you need to at least introduce a norm.
>>
>>16386580
>you need to at least introduce a norm.
And the relationship between normed spaces (a topological concept) and division operations (an algebraic concept) is actually a pretty important topic in math and physics. There are a number of similar theorems addressing these matters, e.g. Hurwicz theorem tells us that the only real-valued, normed division algebras are the reals, the complex numbers, the quarternions, and the octonions.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurwitz%27s_theorem_(composition_algebras)

See also Frobenius' Theorem for a related concept
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frobenius_theorem_(real_division_algebras)
>>
My initial goal was to use this in [math]\mathbb{R}^n[/math] with the usual Euclidean norm to help motivate the dot product for people encountering the first time. Not original, this is done in the "new math" era text "A Vector Approach to Euclidean Geometry" with different notation. But it would certainly be interesting to explore which normed vector spaces this operation is defined in, and how it behaves in those spaces.

>>16386622
This is definitely not the sort of division you have in a division algebra, because it has a remainder like integer division does.
>>
>This is definitely not the sort of division you have in a division algebra, because it has a remainder like integer division does.
Although it is notable that it's the scalar part of quaternion division.
>>
File: 1714957176513979.png (80 KB, 1365x860)
80 KB
80 KB PNG
>>16386707
One thing I've noticed playing around with different norms on [math]\mathbb{R}^2[/math] is that the notion of "orthogonal" that one might construct from the norm ([math]\forall \lambda, |\vec{A}| \leq |\vec{A} + \lambda \vec{B}|[/math]) isn't in general a symmetric relation.

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/ejezqii7vm
>>
>>16387865
norm isn't enough to define orthogonality
you need an inner product for that
trying to overload words with too many meanings confuses ideas.
invent a new word, maybe like "normthogonal"
>>
>>16387951
>>16387865
>norm isn't enough to define orthogonality
No, but there is a related notion that is defined on normed spaces called Birkhoff Orthogonality.
>>
>>16387967
>[math]\|x + \lambda y\| \ge \|y\|[/math]
surely that's supposed to say
[math]\|x + \lambda y\| \ge \|x\|[/math]
>>
File: 1704751760259461.png (147 KB, 622x360)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
>>16387971
apparently so
>>
>>16387971
No, and don't call me Shirley.
>>
>>16386580
>Define closest in terms of vector space axioms
Why are you asking for an impossible task? Nobody does that.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.