[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1726628847342416.gif (917 KB, 174x96)
917 KB
917 KB GIF
When i already have money and a position as an maschine learning engineer. Is there anything gained from me studying (maybe part time) Math at an university?

I recently wondered if i become a even better maschine learning engineer with more math. I constantly run into mainly statistical and logical problems where i think
>man i bet an actual mathmatican would laugh at me now
i am officially le gifted child meme with an 130+ IQ but i still feel like an absolute retard 99% of the time

will studying math fix this?
>>
Well i started studying math precisely because i wanted to get into machine learning ect in high school and found a lot of math i didnt understant. So yea if you want you can enroll but since you work full time i would suggest learning by yourself. You are not bound by time so you can take your time and you dont really need a lot of math since most of it is theory that builds tools for a wide variety of uses.
>>
>>16386720
>Is there anything gained from me studying (maybe part time) Math at an university?
Sure, it'll make you better at abstract thinking. After taking a real analysis class I got better at leetcode
>wondered if i become a even better maschine learning engineer with more math
Maybe , but it would probably be marginal. Ml is not very math heavy outside of a few specialized areas
>like an absolute retard 99% of the time
>
>will studying math fix this?
No, if anything learning math will make you feel more retarded
>>
>>16386790
NTA.

> Maybe , but it would probably be marginal. Ml is not very math heavy outside of a few specialized areas.

This could not be further from the truth. The whole world of probabilistic machine learning is very math heavy, and will continue to become even more math heavy as the modeling catches up with the technology (see the research being done into high dimensional statistics/over-parameterization or normalizing flows if you want an example).

If your plan is to use existing ML tools in a "tuning" sort of way you don't need a lot of math. If you want to do novel research involving machine learning algorithm development/architectural development you certainly need a ton of math.
>>
>>16386806
>If your plan is to use existing ML tools in a "tuning" sort of way you don't need a lot of math
And that's what 99% of "Ml engineers" do. I know one "Ml engineer" who didn't even pass calc 2. Just import pytorch, throw data at a model, and tweak it until it works
>If you want to do novel research involving machine learning algorithm development
Also a meme for applied stuff. Just take a pre-existing successful model, use a different transfer function or architecture or whatever, and see if it works better
>certainly need a ton of math.
They don't even write proofs
>>
>>16386720
studying math will not fix your feelings of inferior retardation
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/adv/32023044

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.