[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

It's literally my dream to go here when I get my bachelors in compsci.
Have any anons on this board been to Antarctica before?
>>
>>16388691
I thought it would be cool to work there, you get all housing and food paid + like $10 an hour (probably more now) as support staff. Something like 3 or 6 month terms. Too old for it now.
>>
>>16388716
Do they actually pay for housing and food? What jobs were you looking at anon? The ones I were looking at (GHG Corporation) all require transport, food, gear, everything to be paid for. Unless I can't read for shit.
>>
>>16388743
It was a long time ago I looked into it, 10+ years. I read somebody's blog about the experience. Apparently there's a lot of sex.
>>
File: service.jpg (31 KB, 317x385)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>16388691
Join the military, go for free.
>>
>>16388751
>Apparently there's a lot of sex.
If you're a woman. If you're a man, you need to be Chad because the gender ratio is very skewed, or be a homosexual and hope there are some other gays there. This is especially true during the winter.
>>
>>16388756
With my luck I would end up getting blown up in Ukraine or Israel lmao

>>16388751
>>16388757
My virginity wouldn't change whether or not I go I guess
>>
Going to bed now, will check the thread in the morning ofc.
Wanted to ask if anyone had experience; If I wanted to go and get the best chances at a job there, how much of a bad idea is it to apply for a winter job for my first deployment?
Goodnight fags and see you all tomorrow.
>>
>>16388691
South Shetland Is... What? IS WHAT?
>>
>>16388759
If you want to go somewhere extreme like Antarctica, meteorology is the way to go. There's always a small chance you'll get sent to some war zone but usually not.
>But anon, I said I'm getting a CS degree
Yeah, not much chance that you're going to be needed on site if you're writing code. IT skills like networking are needed everywhere, including Antarctica but also including active war zones.
Maybe you should go work for a company that pays well and then use that money for an Antarctica cruise.
>>
>>16389055
> Yeah, not much chance that you're going to be needed on site if you're writing code.
New RTO mandate, everybody must come to the south pole office 5 days a week.
>>
>>16388751
>Apparently there's a lot of sex.
This is true
>>
>>16389140
You have to pay for your own commute.
>>
>>16389055
I'm a freshman in college right now, so I've been considering compsci or ICT but to be my major but compsci seems to pay more.
I saw some jobs that require bachelors in compsci though. Mostly networking jobs. Hence why I want to get a bachelors in compsci. I don't know, it's all confusing to me.
Getting a cruise to Antarctica is a good second option, just not the kind of thing I really want.
>>
>>16389520
Visit the cities next to it, people who go regularly can be found there, some people even have homes
>>
>>16388691
Not that difficult, if you just want to see it there's plenty of cruises and flights that go under 10k and even the full shebang of going to the pole can be done for less than 100k, with a comp sci degree you can easily afford that as a vacation if you save up a little.
You could probably get an IT drone job in mcmurdo as well.
>>
>>16388751
there was an anon on this board who said he worked there and he said that scientific progress completely halted once for a month when a bitch broke up with her boyfriend (also worked there) and the bitch started fucking another guy at the station and only then could they resume work
>>
>Antarctica
Yo. Tooker been gone a minute. Where you at
>>
>>16389621
With a compsci degree he’ll be working at Starbucks so a trip to the poles would be hard.
>>
>>16389726
I've seen that exact same story in a blog about overwintering there. Might be the same anon, someone copying another's story, or just very common. But the central theme is the same: men outnumber women, especially during winter, so when a woman comes "on the market", the competition begins.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.