[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dnd-fiend-warlock.jpg (172 KB, 1400x700)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>Be an Arch Devil, vibing in Hell
>Have a powerful warlock, heavily indebted to you
>Dude resides in Material plane

How do you make best use of him?
>>
>>92506682
But Crawford said the moment they become a warlock their debt to you is paid off, you only control them while they're a puny mortal.
>>
>>92506682
Entertainment. Tell him to do random stupid shit like betray his party or fuck a princess he has no chance with. Sit back with some buddies and grab some popcorn.

You're playing DnD so the rest of the campaign is going to be just as retarded anyway.
>>
Where does the idea that devils live in Hell come from? The Bible states they begged not to be sent to Hell after possessing a man, and there's a line about "dry places" which are so boring they leave in order to inhabit a human.
>>
>>92509077
Why would you imagine the bible to matter to how devils are portrayed outside of abrahamic belief
>>
Personally I'm a fan of butterfly wing. Make the warlock do innocuous stuff, little evils that don't seem that bad but will later snowball into bigger things down the line. Break a window here, write something there, shove this guy, kiss that woman, etc. Never stuff that's too risky either. At the beginning on one campaign I had a warlock steal a horseshoe nail from the friendly blacksmith. At the end of the campaign guess what happened, all for the want of a nail?
>>
>>92506682
Being a devil, I would quantify his debt to me in terms of souls owed. We are not exchanging favors and guilt-tripping after all, a contract is as real to me as flesh and bone.
As an archdevil, I have an intricate design for the material plane. Rival devils whose cults need squashing, my own cult to empower, other contractees whose soul need to be retrieved, and the development of an evil monument whose true purpose will not become clear until centuries from now.
I would put a bounty on each of these commissions in terms of soul debt, that the warlock can pay off from the total owed.
Of course he can pay it off one at a time by getting mortels to sell their soul to him as well.
>>
>>92509110
He asked where the idea came from.
>>
>>92509077
Demons in the bibble have mostly been excised from the old testament text during the process of canonizing the hebrew scriptures for superstitious reasons, so there are only a few textual references to them outside of Apocrypha.
Judaism does not actually have Hell, it has Sheol which is basically Tartaros, the bowels of the earth in which shades of the dead are supposed to wander. When Demons piss off God he has the earth "swallow them up" i.e. imprisoned in Sheol, where they have much less power (though some sacrifices to further sate and mollify them were continued until fairly late, which is where the ritual of the scapegoat originates from).
The 'dry places' you mention are just sidelong references to Sheol by way of saying 'gb2>>>/thedesert/'
Even Jesus never directly references Hell iirc but speaks metaphorically of Gehenna, which was a valley in the desert outside of Jerusalem which was used for rituals of Moloch. Hell itself doesn't appear until Revelations(iirc).
>>
>>92509077
Hell is where they normally live, but it sucks so they would rather live here.
Hence possession.
>>
>>92506682
>him
but why? Why not just exclusively have a harem of female warlocks? And why not have them have your sons and daughters so you can slowly see them rise up in high society and start undermining it so you in turn become more power as they turn more people into your cult?
>>
>>92506682
Warlocks arent paladins, they arent actually bound to the devil for the most part. Whatever leash you had on them was slipped when you held up your end of the bargain (gave them their magic power).

In general though the best use for something like a warlock is a plausible deniability agent. Just selectively feed them information which leads to them messing with stuff you want messed with.
>>
>>92510520
See >>92510501
I think the demons-begging-not-to-be-sent-to-Hell line's important.
>>
>>92512075
Because they want a job other than fucking done right
>>
>>92506691
>>92512188
I don't know any warlock players who actually do this. Being connected to a powerful entity and having to actually roleplay around that is the entire point of playing a non-multiclassed warlock.
>>
>>92506691
>>92512188
>they arent actually bound to the devil
>3rd level class feature explicitly says the pact is ongoing
Okay retards.
>>
>>92506682
Is that a bald qt grill? I command her to be my gf forever!
>>
File: Princess.jpg (1.48 MB, 2459x3500)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
>>92507176
fuck a princess?
>>
>>92509110
>>92510217
>>92510501
>>92516423
>>92510520
Find one game where demons neither come from nor live in Hell or the setting's analogy Underworld.
>>
>>92506682
>thread about devils
>OP pic uses Orcus, one of the most powerful DEMON Lords in the ABYSS
>>
>>92509313
So your blacksmith couldn't make a new nail? He only had the one? Retarded execution.
>>
>>92506682
The important part is to make sure he's seen vibing on the prime material, a lot of fiendish overlords overlook this by luring their servants to ironic ends, which is basically just doing PR work for the enemy. People should admire your most powerful warlocks and want to be like them, then they'll be more likely to make deals with you.
You can screw over all of the low- and mid-level warlocks, that's fine, no one is looking at them.
>>
>>92509077
Dante's Divine Comedy and renaissance art in general have affected people's perception of Hell, demons and Satan more than any actual religious texts ever have.
>>
>>92534499
I don't get why people miss the "comedy" in the title.
>>
>>92534499
Dante was likely an initiate of some "chivalric order" (probably an obscure branch connected to Knights Templar or Knights Hospitalier) that had some of those ideas pre-existing.
>>
>>92543673
Greek comedy (and Dante's a very Greek, even though, ironically, he couldn't speak or write a word of actual Greek) is about a play structure. The description of Hell and its' torments is dead serious.
>>
>>92534379
Damn, marketing evil is such an obvious thing in hindsight.
>>
>>92534312
>NOOOOO, you can't conflate my D&D baddies! That is badwrong doubleplus ungood!
>>
>>92544177
Devils are jews
Demons are niggers

It's important to know what kind of threat you're facing.
>>
>>92534312
Explain the difference.
>>92544177
As far as I'm concerced the devil is a fallen angel and demons are fallen angel hybrids.
>>
>>92544597
Devil cheats you, like a jew. He can stab you too, but mindless violence is against his nature. He needs to convince himself you've wrong him somehow, first.

Demon is just a planar nigger. He is constantly in a state of chimpout, although a minority are clever and attractive enough to get mortals through other vices.
>>
>>92544640
Both sounds like demons in the real world.
>>
>>92544832
And D&D separates between Clerics, Wizards, Sorcerors, Warlocks and Druids. Inventing pointless categories for the sake of autism is a hallmark of this kind of "content".
>>
>>92544875
The words you listed are seperated in the real world. Devil was originally a title for the Satan and the Lucifer in Greek. Diabolos means both confuser and seperator.
>>
>>92506682
Someone tell me WTF "vibing" means.
>>

>>92544154
Dante's self-insert getting to hang out with all his noble pagan heroes in Elysium and putting his contemporaries he didn't personally like in Hell kinda makes it more of wish fulfilment fanfiction than dead serious, even if it is leagues above typical wish fulfilment fiction artistically.
>>
>>92545667
Same as “chillin” “lampin” or “hangin out”
>>
>>92546267
Yeah, the Divine Comedy is pretty amusing when you realize that it's basically an 800 year-old self-insert fanfic that boils down to "I have portrayed myself as the chad wojak and you as the onions wojak". Galileo's shitposting is also pretty amusing; after the Catholic church said "hey, cool ideas but please stop telling people that the church is wrong" Galileo then wrote a book which had a blatantly obvious stand-in for the pope whose name could be adequately translated as "the dope" and the whole book is Galileo explaining how smart he is and how stupid it is to doubt him.
>>
>>92544597
Devils are fallen celestials in origin, but now theyre just made from evil human souls. They're native to Baator, the plane of Lawful Evil alignment. They exist mostly to oppose the spread of the Abyss.
Demons spawn from chaotic evil souls or the Abyss itself(the plane of Chaotic Evil incarnate), which is the semi-sentient outgrowth from an extra-cosmic evil. The original demons, the Obyrith, are from outside the DnD universe.
This is very, very basic lore.
>>
>>92554654
This is very silly.
>>
>>92555391
>plays DnD
>upset when DnD lore exists
Yep, it checks out
>>
>>92557428
>plays DnD
>disregards the lore, makes up his own with the group
How could you tell?
>>
>>92506691
>>92516526
Jeremy Crawford hasn't played a non-podcast game of any RPG since 2016. His opinions do not matter.
>>
>>92506682
Get your folks together and make him do Jackass-style stunts for everybody's entertainment.
>>
>>92512188
Nigger, the class features explicitly state pact is ongoing and that all features sans (most) invocations and arcanums are fueled by patron.
Same way how clerics and paladins need to have a deity of their domain and cause respectively send them the divine magic.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.