[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1712628907388846.pdf (1.59 MB, PDF)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB PDF
Previous thread: >>92426567

GURPS is a modular, adaptable system, capable of running a wide range of characters, settings, and play styles, with a level of detail varying from lightweight to completely autistic.
Optional rules allow you to emulate different genres with a single system, or even switch genres within a single game.

A nearly complete archive of GURPS books can be found by those who pay attention to file extensions.
Never post direct links to the archive anywhere.

If you're wondering where to start:
The Basic Set covers everything, including a lot of optional rules you probably won't use.
A genre guide can be found in the archive, under Unofficial/GURPSgen. It tells you what extra books and articles you may find useful for many common genres.
How To Be a GURPS GM is a good read even for players.
GCS (gurpscharactersheet.com) is an excellent character-builder software, with page references to all the books and the option to export to both Foundry and Fantasy Grounds.

Thread Question: I uhh... Tell me about your first campaigns anons.
>>
By GURPs basic set rules says "Even a human could have a ST over 20 – record-setting
weightlifters can be very strong!" Implying that it thinks a realistic human could have a ST value over 20. World record lifts are done using two hands and usually takes a few seconds to get the weight up and are probably master level in the lifting skill. On the best case non-critical success a 20ST human taking 4 seconds to lift something with two hands, would be able to lift 1280 lbs. That's 50lbs over the world record lift.
I have no reason to believe a human can cross 20ST.
According to GURPs a realistic human can have 30% additional HP. That combined with the 20 HP from our world record level ST is 26 HP.
A 13 pound blunt Maul (which GURPS tell you to treat a Sledge Hammer as) will fail to inflict a Major Wound on the highest HP realistic man 91.67% of the time.
If we use the regular base attribute limit of 16, then your realistic human would have 20HP, and the 13 pound sledge hammer would fail to inflict a major wound 41.67.
A sledge hammer is for breaking bricks and metal, and most of the time you use an 8 pound sledge hammer not a 13 pound one. I feel like a good swing from a Sledge should almost always inflict a major wound on a realistic human.
>>
I am writing an Escape from Tarkov campaign in GURPS. It'll be my first time running GURPS and I am very excited! Biggest hurdles will be converting Tarkov's limb-based HP system.
>>
>>92510624
indeed but we haven't reached our human limits yet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_MacAskill
this guy probably more trained the average human today but certainly not as modern gym bros lifted a half a ton anchor to chest height. i remember someone calculated his max strength without steroids being around 25 and 31 with.

First game was a Neanderthal game was a great one. sadly it ended when the GM got raided by the FBI. we had just invented copper. and yes we had one special snowflake with gadgeteer
>>
>>92511453
why just use the gurps mechanics. and there are probably more optional rules for limb damage
>>
New GURPS GM, experienced GM, planning a campaign here. What methods do you use to award (any) CP during the campaign? Characters gotta grow, I'd love to hear your ideas
>>
>>92513252
For me, it depend on the feel of the game I want as well as logistic concerns over how frequently we meet. For heroic fantasy, I tend to give 5cp per session, so players can feel their power grow. Grittier games, maybe 2 or 3 a session. I ran a (short) horror game where I only gave out abilities or new skill points.
I'm also fond of giving traits and such, like allies or reputation, sometimes in addition to cp, sometimes instead of it.
Oh, and I'll tend to give out a bonus point occasionally for something special/inspired/heroic from a player
>>
>>92511453
Never played Tarkov but an easy way to do limb HP is to just track it and apply crippling/destruction once a threshold has been reached. Martial Arts has rules for lingering effects that occur once adrenaline has worn off, making getting hurt even more punishing, and it has additional hit locations, that I think are also in Tactical Shooting.
>>
>>92513560
Based reference book, I didn't know Tactical Shooting was out there! I'm trying to keep my Tarkov Campaign rules light-ish because although I like crunchy systems, most players do not.

Excellent suggestions, anon
>>
>Playing a high power level game
>Players are self-healing commando, x-ray vision sniper, psychic mind power guy, and very fast swordsman robot
>Break into facility with false credentials and gather info for 2 sessions
>Everyone stays under the radar and it seems we will figure out what's going on very soon
>Identifying power supplies, server rooms, secret elevators
>Finding out they are basically making weird cyborg things
>Towards end of 2nd session, some players want to break into security room
>Sniper goes outside and starts shooting into the air trying to scramble the guards out
>Commando solos into the room which auto locks behind him along with one mind controlled security guard
>Sneaks to the captains door behind the backs of half a dozen guards then kicks it in and runs in to take the captain hostage.
>Starts getting executed via firing squad by the guards before finally opening the door with the captains switch
>Robot runs in and basically executes all the security forces
>3x cover blown
>Psychic decides he's had enough, telepathically sends a wtf, leaves the facility by stealing a car and watches from a distance as military vehicles and aircraft are heading towards the facility
>Merc team shows up session 3 and is starting to wipe the remaining 3 players out since they are down a character

Trying to get the psychic to rejoin next time when he goes to his lab and finds it ransacked by the facility/mercs (he studies similar cyborg stuff)
>>
I do keep wanting to run a Weird War II campaign featuring, primarily, Soviet psis being pitted against German wizards. Japan and Britain have their own magic users, but America mostly does not, to make the war less one-sided.
>>
>>92502457
>All this talk of shields got me thinking about Cole's Shields Up book again, specifically how it approaches using shield as cover. I disliked that using them that way requires AoD, since it seems that tucking a shield against your body to act as passive cover should be, well, passive; you should still be able to move more than a step, jab with a spear, or pull a trigger while holding your shield like that. At the same time, though, I can understand that just making it a free toggle wouldn't work either and would make shields too good.
>Has anybody thought up or come across a better way to handle shields providing cover?
The simplest way to do it would be to switch DB from a bonus to active defences into a penalty to attacks. To maintain the usual ratio between the two, have each 1 DB become -2 to attacks against you. Any manoeuvre which allows you to get a bonus to block can instead be used to add an even bigger penalty to hit you (either a flat -2 for defensive attack, -4 for all-out defence, or increase penalty to -3 per point of DB for defensive attack, -4 per point of DB for AOD).
A more detail version would be to use full cover rules, defining exactly which body parts are covered by each type of shield, etc.
Either way, the crucial element is removing DB before adding new benefits, because DB is already really good.
Really mixing things up a lot, give only -1 per point of DB, but allow block (only) to retain the +1 per point of DB, and give additional penalty of -DB to hit the arm bearing the shield (double that, or just impossible, to hit the hand) and the torso (this is the main area that all shields will cover most of the time; moving shield to guard other areas is what is represented by blocks). Adds a lot of detail without it being overwhelming, makes blocking more than just an additional parry that you need a separate skill for, giving significant incentive to learn Shield skill.
>>
>>92514936
Another option I have been contemplating is dropping block as an option entirely and making cloaks and shields work like unarmed parries (cloaks get the standard -3 against swung weapons, shields don't) with the cloak or shield granting DR to the arm should the parry fail and the attacker choose to hit the limb (maybe even force the attack to re-direct to the limb on a failure by 1, which could also work for unarmed parries, or a margin of failure no greater than DB for shields and cloaks only). This can easily be combined with making DB work differently.
>>
File: ct.png (152 KB, 2400x2400)
152 KB
152 KB PNG
How high should the Driving skill of a character able to drive safely around a city without ever taking the foot off the gas pedal?
>>
>>92513252
I run a Delta Green game which awards 1 CP per session plus a bank of reward points at the end of each chapter depending on how players did.
Stop the incursion - 3 points
Minimize awareness of the incursion in order to prevent the damage from spreading - 2 points
Obscure Delta Green’s involvement. Secure or eliminate all evidence that an unnatural event has occurred - 2 points
Save lives. As many as you can - 1 point
In-Character After-Action Report - 1 point
Players tend to burn through the single points for Impulse buys to stay alive, so it averages around 2 pts per session when all is said and done. One of my players just had a net -24 CP session thanks to failed fright checks.
>>
>>92516509
at least 16? How does he avoid hitting stopped cars at traffic lights? I guess he could just brake super hard to overpower the accelerator
>>
>>92516509
I'd say 24-26, enough to take a -10 for reckless driving and still have a reliable effective skill level of 14-16.

>>92519513
Sidewalks, medians, shoulders, turning lanes, oncoming lanes, generous road layouts, or maybe he also has a few levels of Serendipity to ensure there's never really heavy traffic.
>>
>>92511631
That's great, then a 13 lbs sledgehammer would inflict a major would on a human 0% of the time, so you're agreeing the rules for Sledgehammers are completely unrealistic and underwhelming?
...also there is not physical or photographic evidence for any of his claims.
>>
>>92519958
>That's great, then a 13 lbs sledgehammer would inflict a major would on a human 0% of the time
depends on how strong the person swinging the sledgehammer is and where they hit? They would be taking all out attack strong probably too
>>
>>92519958
25 ST man does 5d+3 cr or 5d+5 cr (all out strong) so yeah sledgehammers will inflict major wounds fairly easily considering max hit is 35 cr and average is 20 with all out strong
>>
>>92516509
>>92519513
>>92519647
Depends on the car and the city (and the section of the city and the time) doesn't it? A Buick Model 33 with a top speed of 35 mph driving around a residential distinct in Rome New York at Midnight, requires only the most basic skill levels.
A Bugatti Chiron Super Sport with a top speed over 300 mph in New York City Center during rush hour, is statistically impossible.
>>
>>92520002
>>92519975
>The Worlds Strongest Man using a Sledge Hammer will inflict a major wound on the world hardiest man with a weapon.
Yeah but in the real world the worlds healthiest man's ribcage loses to steel nails and steel bar, but anyone who can effectively handle sledge hammer beats steel bar.
Every single human to ever live has had bones that are weaker and more brittle than steel.
>>
>>92520022
wtf are you going on about. A maul which is the closest thing to a sledgehammer takes at least 13 strength (2d-1 swing) and does swing +5 crushing. So 2d+4 damage. That's enough damage to cause a major wound to the torso and can easily cripple any limb or extremity, and kill if it hits the skull or neck. Pretty realistic. A sledgehammer to the torso won't necessity kill an ordinary person. It might break a lot of ribs and incapacitate them but that in itself isn't lethal
>>
>>92520176
The blunt side of the 13 lbs. maul on B274 is Swing+4 at 13 strength which is what I was working off is 2d+3. I gave the health values and percentages to not inflict a major wound in my original post. That's where I have been pulling the 13lbs sledgehammer from, despite mentioning that a 13lbs sledge is abnormal.
>>92510624
I don't know why I didn't cite my reference to sledgehammers literally being mauls in GURPS, but it's on High-Tech page 25.
>>
>>92514075
This is vitally important, I must know: despite USSR's supernatural powers being psychic rather than magic, do they still have Baba Yaga?
>>
>>92520022
>Every single human to ever live has had bones that are weaker and more brittle than steel.
And yet, there are plenty of men who can bend steel bars with their bare hands. While I doubt that any real human would qualify for more than 20 ST or HP in GURPS, or shrug-off the impact of a sledgehammer wielded by a strong man, muscle is pretty good at handling impacts, and strong men's bones do get stronger, denser, and thicker from the strain placed on them. There are certainly parts of a strong man's body which will be highly resistant to blunt force; in the days when carnivals didn't have to worry about health and safety, you might witness some demonstrations of such (hammering nails in with parts of the body, breaking or bending hard things across their thighs or shoulders, etc.) alongside other feats of strength. Obviously there are other parts which remain very vulnerable; neither strength nor size is going to make much difference to a pistol pressed against your temple, or even a knife between your ribs. Even with crushing, things like fingers, toes, kneecaps, and so on will remain rather vulnerable no matter how big and strong you are.
It's also worth considering that when sledgehammers are used against doors, walls, and rocks, they are being swung with maximum force (i.e. an all-out-attack) against targets which are fixed in place (this makes a huge difference to how force is transmitted; a log hung from a rope is much harder to smash into splinters than one on the ground).
>>
I feel like Sledgehammer beats Eddie Hall should not be a controversial take.
>>
I am building a set of abilities as alternate abilities. However I don't want to have a single ready maneuver swap between them. I want it to take longer. Like say 1 minute. So that they for all practical purposes be unable to be swapped in combat. My first thought was just tack takes extra time on the whole thing as a meta trait, but I don't know if that's correct.
>>
>>92530225
a sledgehammer to the chest would not kill eddie hall, hospitalise, sure.
>>
what's the point of city stats
>>
File: .png (10 KB, 545x228)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
The Stakeholder Report for 2023 is out. GURPS is mentioned literally once in the entire thing.
https://www.sjgames.com/general/stakeholders/
>>
>>92534844
We got mentioned! Shareholder-senpai will notice us!
>In the meantime, digital GURPS support sold well in 2023 and will continue in 2024.
We are profitable!
>>
>>92530225
Have you ever met Eddie Hall? He honestly gives the impression that he could take a sledgehammer to the chest and walk away (not saying it's accurate, just that's my instinctive reaction to his sheer bulk, power, and confidence; it's like standing next to a horse). To the skull, less so, but even large animals like cattle die to that.
I don't think modern people in general have a good grasp of how much damage melee weapons do and how much it takes to cripple or kill someone. I've worked on a farm, where I helped slaughter animals and break up stuff with sledgehammers, and in medicine, where I've encountered injuries and dead bodies in various states of disassembly, and I honestly don't feel that I could confidently assign odds (even very rough odds) of major-wound type effects from being hit with a sledgehammer to different people.
A major wound will cripple a limb, but that isn't necessarily a break. A sledgehammer might not break a femur unless you hit it just right, but I imagine it would be hard not to sprain something if you hit the hip, knee, or ankle. With a massive slab of muscle like Eddie Hall's quads it seems that it would be hard to do more than a bad bruise unless you're strong enough to be swinging that sledge like a baseball bat (which is probably approaching Eddie Hall levels of strength). For torso hits, it's even less clear what constitutes a major wound. Enough to put you on the ground or stun you. I imagine Eddie's ribs, clavicle, and spine will break if you hit him hard with a heavy object, which should do the trick (ignoring his incredible willpower and fitness, which might make him more able to cope with pain, represented in GURPS by stuff like HT, Fit, Hard to Subdue, Autohypnosis). His abdomen, on the other hand, seems likely to be far more resilient than a normal man's due to the huge muscles.
>>92534502
A torso hit with a maul is unlikely to kill even a normal man in GURPS.
>>
honestly if you really want to take someone down in one hit the skull is always the best option for that (or vitals if you have pi/imp)
>>
>makes interesting race
>it costs hundreds of points
>trims down cost
>race is rubber-forehead human.
>>
What's a fair limitation value for Blindness where the only thing you can't see is sunlight or reflected sunlight? Like, artificial and non-stellar natural light sources can still be seen, but any environmental lighting that is starlight just can't be perceived, so a sunny day with no additional lighting would appear as total darkness to the character. Trying to fit it as a sort of divine curse where the Sun is tired of your shit and won't provide it's light anymore.
>>
>>92536549
Blindness (Mitigator, light source, -60%) [-20]
or
Blindness [-50] and Cancelled Disadvantage (Blindness; Accessibility, requires artificial light, -10%) [45].
>>
>>92536374
I would like to see it
>>
>>92536549
-5 or -1
>>
>>92537007
OK -1 is probably pushing it a bit but its sort of easily mitigated and won't come up much in a modern setting if you are indoors
>>
>>92536549
What’s the setting? That disadvantage is going to be worth more in low-tech societies where you’re limited to stuff like candles and torches and oil lamps, worth less in modern settings where you do things in office buildings and can just stick a $5 flashlight to your chest when you need to see, and outright worthless in a futuristic setting where 99% of the time you’ll be inside, or in a spaceship, or can have an unobtrusive headlamp alongside your HUD glasses.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 480x360)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>92536994
...no
>>
>>92537024
it's a tentacle monster isn't it
>>
>>92537045
It's not a monster, no.
>>
>>92537070
>eclipse phase
Well, duh, everything there is pretty high level. Pretty sure even under its own rules the sleeves take a significant portion of your point budget.
>>
>>92537020
Would be on the low-tech fantasy side of things, and an extra mitigating factor is that this is supposed to be part of a vampire meta-trait. They only catch flame in the sun after a recent feeding, but the downside to being able to walk about in the day is that since they're functionally blind without a light source, it can be extremely obvious that someone might be a vampire if they're walking around a sunny mid-day with a lantern just to get around the street, or trying to path between nearby light sources to avoid wandering outside their range. Older ones that can adapt to blind navigation can just put on the act of actually being blind, but this comes with the downside that reacting to visual stimuli that's being lit by an artificial source can give them away, on top of having the added effect that the actually blind now have to deal with people accusing them of being bloodsuckers in disguise and trying to harass or spook them to prove they reacted to something they saw.

Most probably stick to jobs indoors and away from windows to have an excuse to have candle light, or other environments where it won't be openly questioned because everyone has to rely on artificial lighting.

Despite being reflected sunlight, moonlight works for them just fine, so they also don't have extra issues at night.
>>
>>92538175
>on top of having the added effect that the actually blind now have to deal with people accusing them of being bloodsuckers in disguise
I love this, that's a great take on vampires.
>>
File: Lunarian.pdf (201 KB, PDF)
201 KB
201 KB PDF
Humans evolved for Lunar gravity sending a landing mission to earth (TL3)
>>
>>92536994
try to make a strong race, say +1 to SM which means +5 to ST.
That alone costs a whooping 50 points.
>>
>>92538448
what a nerd
>>
>>92538448
Racial -2 ST might not be enough for someone evolved to 0.166 G. Purely from a weight-supporting perspective, you could get away with ST 4, although you will still want enough to shift mass around a bit. I assume the THS template is generous on this point because genefixing to avoid muscle and bone wastage are available.
HT only at racial average seems a bit low for someone selected for a TL 7 space program and exploration / conquest / whatever of a hostile world. Especially since he's going to facing six times his native gravity, wearing a heavy protective suit. He will be at -4 DX, -2 IQ, Per, Will, HT, and FP constantly. I'd expect the group that sent him to require very good HT and/or traits like Fit. Something similar to an anti-G suit (High-Tech, p. 74) might offset some of the HT penalty, although possibly at the cost of even worse DX and extra weight.
Unmodified Dark Vision is pretty much a supernatural trait. Use Night Vision or Near Infrared Vision (Powers: Enhanced Senses, p.8) for something more realistic.
>>
>rabbit race
>size modifier -1
>ST -2
>DX +1
>basic move +1
>accute hearing 3
>danger sense
>fur
>Upgrade Option: Vorpal
>striking ST +4 (against neck only)
yay or nay?
>>
>>92539249
Maybe swap Acute Hearing for Parabolic Hearing to make them more distinct and give them another trait humans can't normally take.
>>
File: Lunarian.pdf (201 KB, PDF)
201 KB
201 KB PDF
>>92539204
adjusted some items/stats and Gave him a flashlight instead
>>
>>92539249
>>92539350
Given the Hearing Distance Table doubles for each step, the mechanical bonus of Accute Hearing +1 [2] and Parabolic Hearing +1 [4] are the same.
There's a suggestion made by Kromm1 but find it too "complicated" for a simple sense roll. I'd just dump Parabolic Hearing and just use Acute Hearing.
As for a way to make it special, Power: Enhanced Senses has some neat ideas like Precise Hearing [10] to judge the accurate distance to the target and make attacks with no penalty with hearing alone.
Alternatively, you could add Based on Hearing (+20%) to Danger Sense so you can roll Hearing instead of Per to detect threats. Give it Accute Hearing +5 (enough to hear leaves rustling ie predators at 8 yards of distance) and you will be rolling, without any further bonus, under 15 to detect threats, making the race an excellent at early warning. In fact, I'm tempted to steal it.

1 https://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=2388500&postcount=6
>>
>>92539431
There's nothing wrong with the build and it's an interesting concept, but this seems like a really harsh deal for a 150 point character. He's effectively going to have over a hundred points in reduced attributes (-60 for four levels of DX without speed, -40 for two levels of IQ, -10 for two levels of HT without speed) all the time, putting you at 'normal guy' levels of competence. Being four tech levels above the primitive Terrans is going to help, but it's still going to be tough going.
Incidentally, there's a 'light worlder' template in Bio-Tech p.67 you might want to consider as an alternative to the floater.
>>92539249
This is all fine. You might want to check out the Lepus in bio-tech (p. 74) and the Lapine in Furries (p.26)
>>
>>92541846
i mean honestly, the lunarians are just gonna be a interesting lore tidbit for a while in my setting until the terrans start reaching for the stars and then they are gonna be malicious bastards
>>
I wish I had players that would play into my fetishes with their characters.
>>
>>92545847
What are your fetishes?
>>
>>92545897
Female creatures that have a high amount of animal or alien characteristics, digitigrade anthros being the minimum amount of exotic I like.
Full role-reversal is the other important piece, females that fill masculine roles that flirt and tease in masculine ways.
>>
>>92545897
People showing up on time for things they said they would show up for get me so fucking hard. If those kinky bastards also actively engage in the game instead of being dragged along like unwilling captives, I cum buckets.

Sadly my group are all prudes and refuse to engage with my perversions.
>>
>>92545897
Being told I did my best and the session was enjoyable.
>>
>>92547487
>>92548034
Disgusting. Degenerates get the rope.
>>
>>92516509
this is just something you roll for, its a test of skill each time.
>>
File: 1678309138495039.png (614 KB, 879x939)
614 KB
614 KB PNG
If you buy a magic item that suppresses a disadvantage or limitation do you have to pay 80% of the points back?
>>
>>92551414
Depends how the GM handles magical items.
Generally i just give them the cp corresponding to the advantage with Gadget.
>>
>>92551414
No, for the same reason you don't get points for wearing a helmet that causes Hard of Hearing.
>>
>>92551414
Depends on your GM.
I'd say the most common response would be 'no' but that assumes that buying a magic item is a huge opportunity cost which could at a minimum be used to buy items granting benefits equivalent to advantages with a similar points value. i.e. if you can buy an amulet of cancelling Bad Sight, you could also buy an amulet which grants Dark Vision or something for a similar price, so by spending money on one you are denying yourself the other.
If the magic items to cancel disadvantages are cheap and easily available, but you just started the game without one so that you didn't have to pay for Mitigator or Cancelled Disadvantage, then yeah, you owe the points as soon as you pick one up. That's blatantly abusing the spirit of the rules.
>>
File: STDiscount.png (34 KB, 422x148)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>92536374
>>92538762
>Make a very capable race
>"Why does this cost a lot of points?"
It's a real mystery.
Also, you get a ST discount for a high SM, so it would be 45 points. If it's a high-tech world, you can could also use some optional rules to reduce the cost.
>>
>>92555387
What Pyramid issue is this from?
>>
>>92556800
that's from Power-Ups 9
>>
>>92510611
>TQ
On my first campaign. Only two sessions in a homebrew setting. Basically a separatist iron age kingdom has asked for help from player origin kingdom. The PCs are (at the moment) adventurers hired as auxiliaries by the count leading the expedition. Going by DF rules, but simplified with less magic(due to experience).

My question: anyone have a tip where I could find similar cut-out templates as in the DF set? With the reversible side? Looking for more human characters, with a not-slavs, not-picts and not-vikings.
>>
>>92510611
Should heavy-worlder aliens be represented by exactly the level of ST that provides appropriate Basic Lift, or should their ST be given as if they were raised on 1G, then given the levels of Lifting ST that bring them to homeworld-appropriate Basic Lift?
>>
>>92557830
Lifting ST seems more likely, but either could be justified.
For what it's worth, the Heavy Worlder template on Bio-Tech 66 has high ST and Improved G Tolerance.
>>
>>92557606
>My question: anyone have a tip where I could find similar cut-out templates as in the DF set? With the reversible side? Looking for more human characters, with a not-slavs, not-picts and not-vikings.
SJG does a whole 'cardboard heroes' line, but I don't know of anywhere that has them pirated, nor whether they have suitable characters for your needs.
You could probably make your own by using some kind of dress-up-a-3d-person software (e.g. Daz3D, Poser). Might take a while to locate suitable assets, pose them, turn them into images, etc.
>>
>>92559173
You could always use Hero Forge and just take a screengrab of the mini.
>>
Many threads ago, people were talking about how to do DR in a supers game where a hero could handle incredible damage from someone weaker than themselves but then punches from a more important character/villain would be dangerous. Someone suggested some way to modify DR to act as "plot armor," where it could be bypassed by some other character that meets certain criteria.
Does anyone remember this? I'd love to find the specifics but I haven't been able to find the original posts i question.
>>
>>92560821
I remember something like that coming up, but it was in the context of cultivation-style games rather than superheroes (though the difference is mostly aesthetic). I can't easily trawl through the archive at the moment but maybe that'll help point you in the right direction.
>>
>>92510611
New to GURPS
is there a guide to how to pick and choose rules adv, disadv, skills for your custom setting?
>>
>>92562196
How to Be a GURPS GM
>>
File: cover_lg.jpg (88 KB, 494x650)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>92562273
RIP Mook
>>
>>92559173
>>92560474
Thanks for the tips! I'll try looking. I'm not very capable with editing, but I'll see if hero forge has anything worthwhile.
>>
>>92537140
I've actually done a bit of work statting things out in eclipse phase. Ran a gate crashing campaign with it.
>>
>>92560821
wouldnt the more important character be a lot stronger? Seems like the issue solves itself
>>
>>92567419
No, you idiot, we are for some reason trying to emulate plot-holes. When Echo shoots King-Pin point blank in the head, the bullet needs to magically barely leave a scar because he needs to show up in the Daredevil TV.
Character's shouldn't earn their status, they should be given it.
>>
>>92567560
>emulate plot-holes
GURPS has a mechanic for this! Flesh Wound from B417, as well as the whole slew of options from Power Ups Impulse Buys.
>>
>>92560821
See 'Powers, Great and Small' (GURPS Powers, p. 32) for 'tiers' of power where higher-levels can ignore lower.
>>
I want you to stat a superpowered basset hound. It can move at supersonic speeds and has human intelligence, the rest is up to you
>>
>>92568217
I think this is what I was after - thanks!
>>
File: milley.png (197 KB, 814x900)
197 KB
197 KB PNG
>>92568951
>>
is there a most popular gurps setting/adaptation?
>>
>>92569536
dungeon fantasy
>>
>>92569555
people actually play that shit?
>>
>>92569589
Probably the most popular one since it is constantly getting new stuff
>>
File: .png (26 KB, 919x314)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
New Vehicles house rule
>>
File: IMG_20240421_114910.jpg (2.57 MB, 4000x3000)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB JPG
>>92570062
Artist's rendition
>>
How many house rules can you add to GURPS before it stops being GURPS?
>>
>>92570160
They would have to be pretty radical changes, seeing as how GURPS canon already allows for so many different styles of game; if official material covers changing core attributes, dice types, how skills work, narrative mechanics, and classless point-buy vs templates and XP (just to name a few), you're going to have to get pretty out there to make your homebrew rendition appreciably un-GURPSy.

That being said, you may start losing GURPS *players* due to your houserules while the system is still unquestionably GURPS. Like I personally would recoil from a GURPS game that used d20s, locked-down templates, and Action's abstract rounds for everything, but you're still running GURPS.
>>
>>92570108
>>92570062
I have only ever seen this in fiction. That didn't exactly have aerospace consultants on board.
I feel like there are reasons I have never seen something like this in the real or in serious aerodynamic simulations.
Do the last set of wings have tail flaps since the tail is gone, speaking of what controls Yaw? Are those not engines on each wing tip and instead fins?
>>
>>92571805
>I have only ever seen this in fiction. That didn't exactly have aerospace consultants on board.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Boeing_Quad_TiltRotor
>>
>>92571831
It does say Tilt Rotor, and I am illiterate. I fucking hate VTOL, I grew up in a world where there were Helicopters and Planes and the races didn't mix.
>>
File: GURPSht.png (19 KB, 242x326)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
bamp
>>
Do you agree?
>>
>>92580084
I assume this an odd hold over from a previous edition since HT isn't even tied to body type as it should be for humans.
>>
>>92580084
I think that's a reasonable justification for a GM making the switch or allowing a player to take the Attribute Substitution perk, but I also have no issue with HT as a base. HT is the basis for Carousing not because you're engaging in constant drinking contests but because you're casually drinking and need to be able to hold your liquor; a failed roll means you got sloshed and became distracted, started moping into your drink, made an ass of yourself, or otherwise failed in eliciting a positive reaction from others. HT is also the basis for Sex Appeal because Health is being used as a general marker for your body's overall state. The type of fitness that lets you run long distances, resist disease, and recover from injuries is the same type that people typically find attractive: a healthy amount of body fat an toned muscle, a generally healthy pallor, and so on.
>>
>>92580331
Agreed, HT is obvious here
>>
>>92580331
Alcohol Tolerance should add to Carousing and Sex appeal.
Double bonus if the person being woo'd is a Dwarf.
>>
File: Warwick-Davis-gt-2.jpg (222 KB, 1200x1600)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>92580941
>>
>>92580084
I would base both on Will, since 'force of personality' is the main factor besides appearance. For sex appeal, I could also make the case for DX. HT-based carousing is certainly a thing; being the most energetic person at a party is helpful for making a good impression, and many parties are physically demanding, but it doesn't seem as important as mental factors.
The only real justification for HT I can see is that it is substituting for appearance, but it isn't a very good match.
>>
>>92580331
Also it’s worth noting that Social Engineering talks about things like using Per-based Carousing to find a suitable companion/mark, so there’s precedent for using Perception like that even if you stick to traditional HT-based rolls for the act of carousing itself.
>>
Bump
>>
File: Dr Pepper Sloth (1).png (1.88 MB, 1024x1024)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB PNG
Is there a list of published GURPS adventures, in Pyramid and otherwise or is that a "Make it yourself" kind of item?
>>
>>92590576
The unfortunately named oneshotadventures has a lot of adventures for GURPS, and there are maybe a dozen or so adventures scattered throughout the 120+ issues of Pyramid but I don't think anyone's collated a list of them yet.

It really is a "make it yourself" sort of system though. Between point values, genre, setting TLs, and which options are in effect in a campaign, there are simply too many variables in GURPS for their to be a big market for published adventures and so pickings are slim; a standalone dungeon can be easily slotted into D&D because you can write for a generic party in that system--e.g. 3-5 6th level PCs with appropriate wealth by level--in a way you can't for GURPS.
>>
File: Dr Pepper Sloth (2).png (1.8 MB, 1024x1024)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB PNG
>>92591047
So if I feel lazy and want to just rip another adventure, just pull out a D&D adventure and convert? I'm running a TL2 fantasy game for people who are new-ish to roleplaying games.
>>
>>92590576
Everything >>92591047 said is true, but I'll add that it's typically quite easy to take a published adventure for a different game and run it in GURPS. The amount of work involved is not much more than running said adventure in its native system, in my experience. CoC in particular is incredibly easy to port over.
>>
>>92590576
Best of Pyramid Vol. 1 and 2
Best of Pyramid Dungeon Fantasy
>>
>>92591639
Thank you
>>92591142
Any recommendations for good Sword&Sandals adventures?
>>
>>92590576
Here's a list of ones from Pyramid vol 3. Not sure if it is all of them, but it's something.
>>
File: Dr Pepper Sloth (3).png (1.56 MB, 1024x1024)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB PNG
>>92592421
Thank you very much Anon! I will definitely start looking through these for material to wedge into my world with a crowbar.
>>
>>92591695
>Any recommendations for good Sword&Sandals adventures?
I'm afraid I don't, but I should think most D&D adventures would work. Though you should check out oneshotadventures, I think his stuff is good.
>>
>>92593621
>I should think most D&D adventures would work.
Sword & Sandals is historical (specifically, bronze age to iron age historical with a pulpy, high-action tone, usually somewhere around the Mediterranean); Sword & Sorcery is the fantasy genre.
Even if you're going for Sword & Sorcery, most D&D adventures (especially modern ones) treat magic and divinity in the D&D style, where it's common, comprehensible, and comfortable. S&S magic should be rare, weird, and unsettling. Most people in most S&S worlds have never seen a monster, or witnessed a spell being cast. In S&S, the only gods which reliably grant power to their worshippers are Yog-Sothoth style ones. There are no tree-hugging hippie druids who live in harmony with nature. Admirable but aloof elves, dour but honourable dwarves, noble savage orcs, and basically all D&D style races are not a thing. Fucked-up inbred degenerates, intelligent apes, and weird aliens are though. You will need to re-write quite a lot of D&D before it is suitable for S&S.
>>
>>92591695
3e GURPS had licensed Conan books, so they've got to have at least one or two suitable adventures. Take those and file the serial numbers off.
>>
Has anyone done a near future, tactical shooter, kind of groups game?
>>
>>92595537
Why would near future combat involve humans. I mean are we playing as criminals, a decade from now, Police will be using entirely bomb drones.
>>
>>92595575
We are just going to outsource policing to all the illegal immigrants because it’s cheaper than drones. Now THAT is the future
>>
Any rules out there for a one-handed character using weapons as prosthetics? A place wants to be able to attach a chainsaw, a revolver, etc. It's a cinematic game, so it's not out of the question in terms of tone. I'm just looking for any written mechanics (beyond the One Arm/Hand disadvantage in the Basic Set)
>>
>>92596882
Use the rules for applying Extra Arm’s modifiers to existing arms to turn one arm into a Weapon Mount.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.