[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713569239475634.png (438 KB, 1280x720)
438 KB
438 KB PNG
What's your experiences with this game system, /tg/?
>>
>>92554831
My first exposure was NotepadAnon's video on it, desu. I've never run any of the variants of the system, nor have I played any, so I'm not sure how good or how accurate any of the many versions floating out there in the ether are
>>
Bump
>>
>>92554831
Reading about how the people making various versions of it couldn't stop shitting in each others pants.
>>
>>92554831
Pretty fun, despite being the retard of the group
We played a few non mecha episodes and it kinda fell off but the mecha combat and angels were crazy fun despite the danger high lethality levels and rocket tag aspect of it.
RIP walls of Edinburgh.
>>
Played four campaigns. It's dogshit. 3e was so bad that I cobbled together my own system and my group has been playing that since 2012 after I made it generic.
>>
>>92554831
Still looking for a copy of the Redacted expansion since my backups failed. An ok system, but if you come for the combat then you'd be surprised at just how much out-of-mech there is.
>>
>>92562827
post it anon
>>
World of Darkness is a garbage ruleset covered in 10,000 layers of fluff I dont get why people like it
>>
>>92558253
Huh. Thanks for mentioning this, anon. I honestly had no idea that video existed. As someone who was in the trenches of AdEva, that videos seems like an honestly pretty fair summary and review of the whole thing, barring some largely inconsequential details that someone piecing the story together after the fact probably could never have known.
>>
>>92554831
Always wanted to play it but people say it' not finished or that it's dogshit but it doesn't seem that there's any good alternatives.
>>
>>92558253
He used the logo I made! Nice.
>>
2E was the best. I didn't like how 3E abstracted everything.
>>
I remember the whole thing getting overhauled at least three times (usually resulting in a lot of arguments and/or drama) and nobody being able to decide on what to do with the ops director role because apparently it's hard to balance a mech game that includes someone who by definition is never going to be in a mech. My experience with the actual gameplay was like one session of the original beta, it was alright.

>>92569338
This one?
https://www.sendspace.com/file/y9f7sz
>>
>>92580687
I have not worn the BMJ hat for some time, but I just wanted to let you know that I always really liked that logo. Thank you.
>>
I love this system. Is there any Adeptus evangelion stuff that you can’t find on to the 2d4chan?
>>
>>92554831
I helped run a campaign over nearly 3 years (which was longer than it probably should have gone). I still have some fond memories of it, even if my players have mixed opinions. I also had a home game that never finished.

If you have a crew of players who are all into the high-school life/conspiracy/ kaiju fight elements and know how to work together to tell a good story, AdEva is great. Not the system, which is always kind of jank, but the concepts that the system valiantly tries to support. The combat is going to be a bit weird, and you are expected to have 1-3 RP sessions between fights. The PCs often lack agency due to being teenagers, but my solution to that (in my home game) was to tie the pilots in with different factions and conspiracies.
>>
>>92586439
> The PCs often lack agency due to being teenagers, but my solution to that (in my home game) was to tie the pilots in with different factions and conspiracies.

Yep, the best way to do it was to have different pilots be approached by different groups trying to recruit them, offering them favors or scraps of information about the bigger picture to earn their loyalty.
One of my favorite sessions in any game EVER was towards the end of an AdEva campaign when one of the players decided to spill the beans on what they knew about what was about to go down, which triggered ANOTHER player laying their cards on the table because, and so on. It turned into everyone sharing all of the secrets they had been hoarding from each other, in and out of game, and everyone collectively putting the puzzle pieces together and trying to reconcile what parts of the stories they had been told lined up with each other, and where someone either had been lied to or the person talking to them was missing crucial information on the actions of the other side. Just 2 straight hours of the player characters in a bunker making a conspiracy board with red string and realizing "Oh fuck me, the commander's not the traitor at all. But his second in command AND the science lead are in cahoots to start third impact but have very different ideas of what happens after that. The previous round of Eva pilots all had their brains fried on purpose because they were *too* loyal to the commander, and we were picked to muddy the waters and introduce chaos to cover their plans. Also I think there's a bomb in Unit 1. So thats gotta be real distressing for Alice, because I don't know how we disarm that."
>>
>>92554831
Helped develop, proofread, and playtest the first version. In my most recent game I attempted to murder my brother's players repeatedly as a player-controlled villain. Also shitbrewed a Tarot-based system for generating Angels.

>>92561636
Yeah, there's a reason I bailed early. The same fags who made Lancer what it is now were already making things insufferable. Flat-out burned my old discord account because I was sick of dealing with people's highschool-ass drama llama shit continuing to crop up in my fucking DMs.
>>
>>92554831
Mostly good. Got to play in a good campaign that lasted for just about a year. 2nd campaign had scheduling issues, so sadly it died.
Our GM came up with some cool fight scenarios. Also we had to sneak out of a restaurant/bar due to almost getting busted for trying to drink underage, despite being famous worldwide. IIRC, we showed up on the news that night.
>>
>>92554831
Breddy gud, use it for my fanfic.
>>
I'm only familiar with 3rd edition, what's the difference between 2nd and 3rd?
>>
>>92589494
2-2.5: Requires the dark heresy core book on hand to reference rules in real time in addition to the AdEva book. Pilot options are generally fewer and more locked into a single progression path without much ability to diverge beyond what your class gives you. Operations Director is viable to play mechanically, but very difficult to play in practice because you are more of a side character most of the time. Combat plays much more in a traditional rpg battlemap/initiative system with a bunch of mechanics bolted onto it for the eva stuff, which bogs things down in a way that gets worse the longer the game goes on because it becomes a lot to keep track of. Also the action economy is fucked, because an Angel that you don't give Celerity to only gets a single turn a round to attack with compared to everything the players can do, which requires you to make some absolutely bullshit angels just to not be pushovers. In V2 design, any round where the Angel takes a turn and doesn't down or cripple an Eva in a single attack is a wasted turn because they don't have TIME for attrition, in three rounds they'll be dead.

V3: Cuts out a big chunk of that mechanical bloat by abstracting stuff and simplifying things like positioning for online play where a map might not be available. You build your character by buying branches to build the progression you want. They never got around to implementing OD before they collapsed, probably because they never figured out how to overcome the inherent flaws in the idea. The interval 'player 1 goes, angel goes, player 2 goes, angel goes' system does a lot to unfuck the action economy.
>>
File: AdEvaLogoFinalMaybe333.png (323 KB, 1770x419)
323 KB
323 KB PNG
>>92580805
Just making sure you're not talking about the one in OP's post. That was Siege (and so was most of the best art for AdEva). I had suggested mine, but it was at a time when the team was trying to move away from DH.
>>
>>92590325
Do you have any good art for AdEva?
>>
>>92595519
NTA, but I have some.
>>
>>92595639
>>
>>92595639
Nice
>>
File: ELBA Logo.png (90 KB, 711x905)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
>>92595651
And the not-Nerv logo from a game I ran
>>
>>92595639
Amusingly, that art is from the same artist that drew >>92586439 and pic related
Her latest game had tons of art and greentexts that were shared on the Mecha Monday threads
>>
File: 1703538823170412.gif (652 KB, 400x225)
652 KB
652 KB GIF
>>92597830
That's fucking sick! Do they have a Twitter or something?
>>
File: OBva2Iz.jpg (66 KB, 571x800)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>92595519
Pretty much all of it is Siege's, but yeah.
>>
File: uhuS7Dp.png (607 KB, 744x1600)
607 KB
607 KB PNG
>>92595519
>>
File: 2rfObVt.jpg (184 KB, 744x1600)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>92595519
>>
File: KETERFOSHO.png (732 KB, 1056x1389)
732 KB
732 KB PNG
>>92595519
>>
File: Keter3b.png (1024 KB, 2309x1868)
1024 KB
1024 KB PNG
>>92595519
Keter was one of the only things I made for AdEva that got accepted. Even then, Siege still did the coloring because I wasn't that great with Photoshop at the time.
>>
File: ReiSheet.png (384 KB, 903x1318)
384 KB
384 KB PNG
It's a bad system for running EVA, focusing far too much on the pseudo symbolism of "oooooohhhhh but the ANGELS are HUMANS under another forms! And so are the EVAS!" to actually feature what EVA fans actually want. It's a game made for people who have 50 different OCDonutsteels in every imaginable canons and more than a pony to their name.

Get MAGIUS EVA instead. It's a game that was commissioned by GAINAX ahead of EoE.
>>
>>92600073
Isn't Magius basically unplayable? Like, not in a 'I don't like the rules' way but in a 'it depends on a core rulebook that literally isn't available anymore' way.
>>
>>92600245
You can run it with just the EVA books. They're all on the Internet archive. An italian guy translated them during the lockdowns.

From playing them, Im gonna give you 3 advice
>Start with an angel attack, from the get go.
The game isn't very challenging if you let your players build up at first. Keep them on their toes.
>Hardcap the Positron rifles
Your players will see the big damage number and essentially create an artillery battery otherwise and exclusively try to get more.
>Work has no use, give it one
The 'support' characters your heroes also control have a stat named work which has no use following RAW. I ruled that 'everything that doesn't fit within Science or support is work.' and that fixed the issue.
>>
>>92597884
Check the filenames

>>92600339
Not that anon, but I'll have to give that a look
>>
>>
>>92562827
Can we see it?
>>
File: principal-skinner-no.gif (2.46 MB, 498x373)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB GIF
>>92608621

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.