[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1712947382512550.png (811 KB, 1204x677)
811 KB
811 KB PNG
I need recommendations for games focused on being God tier mages

Is Burning Wheel good? What else is there? Preferably less crunchy side of character creation
>>
>>92563909
>Is Burning Wheel good?
lmao no
>>
>>92563909
Mage: The Ascension
>>
Dungeons and Dragons above third level
>>
>>92563928
Explain or recommend a different game
>>92563963
I want something that isn't bogged down with earth history
>>92564030
This is a joke
>>
>>92563909
sword world has something akin to dnd's epic level where you go about 15th level and go fight gods and the like and a book about playing magic nobility in the courts of the abusive precursor magic kings 3000 years before the standard setting
>>
>>92564119
>Explain
no
> recommend a different game
Worlds Without Number using the Legates rules
>>
>>92564753
NTA what are the Legates rules because when I last looked at WWN it had the same problems as SWN where the casters got hit in the knees with a golf club as infants
>>
>>92564778
>Legates rules
they are rules in the rulebook. You should read them and find out.
>>
>>92564793
>Go to discussion board and ask for recommendation
>UH NO GO READ
Fucking no friend loser
>>
>>92564793
Why would I better my self when I could annoy strangers?
>>
>>92564883
>friend
I'm no friend of yours you lazy illiterate retard.
>>92564885
>annoy
He seems mad so I am back to having fun here
>>
>>92564119
>I want something that isn't bogged down with earth history
Mage: the awakening
>>
Ars Magica is the best game for playing mages.
>>
>>92563909
You probably want Ars Magica.

You might also enjoy a high powered ghosts or Albion or Buffy game though, it has pretty satisfying wizards.

I will also aagree with d&d 3rd edition (3.0 core books taking precedence over 3.5 most likely), but only at level 16+. Or a high powered Eclipse game with Practical Enchanter. Again, level 16+.
>>
>>92563963
spbp
>>
bumping although one of the White Wolf Mage games seems to be what I'm looking for

It's a one shot
>>
>>92572270
Which one shot is that?
>>
>>92572542
I've been doing one shots in games recently, last two were Blades in the Dark and Mothership

I want a game where the players can take on the role of really powerful mages for the next one shot which is why I'm not looking at Ars Magica that game is crunchy as fuck and bogged down with too many rules for medieval settings
>>
>>92572645
Yeah, Ars Magica seems much more geared for lengthy ongoing campaigns running a wizard guild. It seems cool but I agree, probably not the easiest one shot.

I meant which white wolf mage game did you find a good one shot for? Or did you mean you were going to write a one shot?
>>
>>92572962
I've read that Mage the Awakening is better mechanically so I'll probably go with that one, already got the book for it, I am writing the actual one shot adventure though, some ancient space wizards sealing a dead God type shit
>>
>>92563909
Exalted has some powerful spells and martial arts styles if you want to check them out.
>>
>>92564030
/thread
>>
Godbound. Everyone pretty much plays like a caster (despite their being rules for sorcery), and from the get go you can do pretty crazy stuff with your areas of Domain, like, Life letting you make a whole bloodline sterile, or Beasts letting you create a new species. Not to mention lower threats like goblins and normal people can be blasted in seconds even by a character with non-combat focused builds because you're surge of power is just that strong.

Later on you actually fight bigger than life shit that can do the same as you, or even more.
>>
>>92563909
If you actually played games or even lurked here you would know, thread spamer
>>
>>92579677
>Everyone pretty much plays like a caster (despite their being rules for sorcery),
Do the sorcery rules suck or something?
>>
>>92581819
More that Godbound has a bunch of Divine Words (like divine purviews in D&D or Scion) which all give potent magical powers within a specific theme. You can even invent new powers within that theme, like a Sword miracle that sunders any non-magical armor or weapon or object that you strike.
Sorcery is less flexible than other Words, in that you cannot spontaneously invent new powers, but you can learn new spells for free if you can find them out in the world.
>>
>>92563909
What a game where you play a god or god-level being, the aforementioned Godbound, where one of the domains your PC can have is Magic?
>>
>>92563909
Gurps
>>
Never played it, but Nobilis sounds like it might fit the bill. In that game, you play as god-like figures who can control a specific concept (like Rain or Cars).
>>
>>92563909
Godbound or Exalted come to mind.
>>
>>92563909
>god tier mages
>less crunchy chargen
You might honestly be looking for Time Wizards
>>
>>92597200
Not OP, but I’ve never heard of it, what’s it like?
>>
>>92595012
>Gurps
Is Gurps magic really that epic?
>>
File: Colombo port.jpg (45 KB, 720x507)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>92601429
complete madness
>>
I mean if you need Inspiration for power you could look at the Xeelee from Xeelee Sequence. Although that would probably be game breaking.
>>
File: Dr-Who.jpg (932 KB, 2121x1414)
932 KB
932 KB JPG
>>92607862
What, is it like Doctor Who?
>>
>>92564119
>I want something that isn't bogged down with earth history
Then just change the setting. You can take all the game mechanics and lore of magic and transplant it to almost any other setting you want. It's far easier to invent a new setting than it is to invent an entirely new game system.
>>
>>92606799
Personally, I personally prefer Thaumatology. "Magic as Powers" is just so much more versatile than "Magic as Skills", especially if you combine it with the rules for Extra Effort and Stunts from Powers.
>>
>>92613070
Any particular things you’ve done using that combination?
>>
>>92611893
>>
>>92618671
>>
>>92618671
>>92618690
I didn't expect a full on PDF, thanks!
>>
>>92616291
I once had a great deal of fun playing a character with the Modular Abilities (Cosmic Power) advantage and Trait-limited "Only Allies with Minion and Summonable" (-50%) limitation. This let me play a sort of Conjurer who could just summon up whatever allies he needed whenever he wanted. It wasn't as powerful as what you could get with a proper summoning spell, but it didn't cost energy, have any chance of failure, or have a duration limit, and it was a lot more fun and flexible. It also let me summon things that you normally couldn't get with normal summoning spells, like weapons, vehicles, and living creatures. If I wanted stronger summons, I could spend FP on Extra Effort. If I wanted do something other than summon Allies, then I could spend FP to pull a Stunt and improvise an ability, as long as it fit my character's theme.
>>
>>92627650
Neat! Ever do anything with Technomancer? I'd love it if we saw an update for the setting to bring it more in line with the current year, personally, I bet they'd have all kinds of awesome shit.
>>
>>
File: Dessus.jpg (89 KB, 603x650)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>92563909
Mage: The Awakening is your best bet. High level you can do some insane shit.

>>92563963
Don't listen to this poster.
>>
>>92565044
This is true, but they aren't really god tier, per se.
>>
>>92563909
Infernum has pretty powerful wizards. The magic is mostly rituals based on binding demons, but the game takes place in hell so binding demons is pretty fucking useful.
>>
File: rt56yuiopopoi3212uytre.jpg (344 KB, 2736x1824)
344 KB
344 KB JPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.