[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ll79977.jpg (17 KB, 255x198)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
Are the lovecraftian abominations in your setting unintentionally adorable /tg/?
>>
>>92567549
Your thread is *sick* and makes me *frumple*. There is no *party* just *silly cows* that need to *dance*
>>
Anybody seen where the Androsynth - I mean - *happy campers* ran off to?
>>
No *games*
>>
>>92568600
Androsynth are not here
Orz are here
>>
>>92568760
Ah so you have heard of them. If you were not here and were there with androsynth at big party, where would there be here?
>>
>>92568760
Where are the androsynth, and why did they go?
>>
>>92568607
There's an entire dating sim about that.
>>
>>92567549
people capture them and use them to do battle using psychic aberration abilities.
>>
>>92567549
They're memeable and *cute* is one of the better substrates for that (another is *anger*). Being eldritch they are beyond intention so the answer is a negation/superposition of yes and no, incidentally one that eventually infects all other processing of reality. This is why it's a bad idea to contemplate them.
>>92569267
Waifufaggotry is genuinely one of the better approaches. Aspirants spend so much time obsessing over their idealised preconceptions that they subconsciously only skirt the roiling isanity beneath. The eldritch as far as they "want" anything also appreciate tools which don't blunt quite as quickly.
>>
File: what.gif (157 KB, 176x148)
157 KB
157 KB GIF
>>92567549
>Some strange *bubbles* find Orz *fingers* to be "cute". Orz has difficulty *spitting* this meaning. Would you *bubbles* like Orz to try to *finger* your *Soft Space*. *Quickbabby* space is too *sharp* and *bright* to *finger*, hurts Orz to try.
>>
I deliberately keep Lovecraftian/Eldritch Horrors out cuz I know that at LEAST 1 member at my table would try to fuck it.
>>
>>92567549
Now that Lovecraftian is ubiquitous, what the reverse?
>>
>>92568818
>>92569259
NGAAAAAAAAA I AM *SQUEEZING* THE *JUICE*! YOU ARE *SICK* FOR THE LAST TIME!
>>
>>92576773
so.....are they at alpha centauri?
happy campers want to know your location!
>>
>>92567549
How would they fare in 40k?
>>
What if it’s a child, and that’s why it talks so strange.
>>
>>92576773
w-what is the “juice” or “sauce” they speak of
>>
>>92580725
>Chaos Demons, but also MEQs.
Pretty well.
>>
File: 200.gif (48 KB, 455x200)
48 KB
48 KB GIF
WHAT! A STAR CONTROL THREAD IN A /TG/ BOARD?
HOW DID YOU ESCAPE /V/, OP?
OR ARE YOU A LURKER?
>>
>>92567549
are the orz an eldrazi? they're fingers right?

actually for that matter, are/is Arceus from pokemon an Eldrazi? The physical form you can catch is just one of it's 1000 hands.
>>
File: Ur-Quan_Kohr-Ah.gif (85 KB, 485x213)
85 KB
85 KB GIF
>>92580719
YOUR DEATH WAS INEVITABLE, BUT NOW IT IS ALSO IMMINENT.
MAKE WHATEVER RITUALS ARE NECESSARY FOR YOUR SPECIES.
>>
What is frumple
>>
WHAT IS THE SAUCE
WHAT IS THE JUICE
>>
I'll use this as an excuse to inform anybody who hasn't heard that there is currently a kickstarter for a sequel to this game set up by the original developers
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity/
>>
>>92583330
Thank you anon, I tossed them ten fivers. My hopes are high.
>>
>>92567549
I recall a thread, years ago now, where we talked about wholesome or positive lovecraftian beings. At the time the idea was relatively fresh. Lots of fun writefagging.
Nothing in the mythos really indicates that the beings in it have to be malevolent. Most Lovecraftian monsters don't have enough interest in humans to be malevolent, destroying or killing humans is only incidental to whatever their actual goals are. So something positive occurring because of their presence or actions, even if it wasn't intended, is potentially just as possible. Its just generally easier to imagine a giant accidentally stepping on someone than it is to imagine, say, the pond they made for aesthetic reasons being the perfect habitat for you.
>>
>>92567549
I've got a few different "factions" of weird eldritch going on at the moment.
First faction: Actual Lovecraft Hastur bullshit trying to eat the planet. They're interested in some real Childhood's End shit for reasons that are comprehensible in terms of you know what they want but are incomprehensible in terms of why they would truly want it.
Second faction: Fairies. Technically the hard opposite of the Lovecraft shit since they're all about rules while the Lovecraft shit is all about being in defiance to them, they're just as eldritch and strange, being as unpleasant a force as the Lovecraftian forces because they're so adherent to maintaining their "rules" while still getting to fuck around that it makes life around them really unpleasant, and unlike the Lovecraftian horrors, you don't know what they want or why they're doing it.
Third faction: Strange outer god (good-aligned) produced a Godking from the shadow of one of her follower's corpses to lead his tribesmen into a golden age empire. Got killed and came back, theoretically well meaning but he chooses whether or not his kin's souls go to the afterlife or if he's gonna just permanently appropriate them as his army of living shadows. You know what he wants (the proliferation and prosperity of his people) and why he wants it (it is his duty instilled into him during his creation by a higher power), but that doesn't necessarily make him any less horrifying (he is a humanoid shadow who can compel anyone within a certain ethnicity to obey his every command, meaning he can turn humans into zergs if he feels like ti)
Fourth faction: William Blake. He's a master wizard.
>>
>>92567549
Hello extremely!
>>
>>92589669
Hi there hello!
>>
>>92583566
If they're at least half as honest as they seem to be, we'll have an honest quality product.
>>
I hate anyone that claims to be into lovecraftian shit and clearly has no idea what it's about.
>>
>>92589669
I hope you like to play
>>
i like how the orz themesong consists of the word "die" repeated over and over in different pitch
>>
>>92600974
Star Control is such a silly, whimsical setting it’s much closer to fantasy than sci-fi proper. The Pkunk…
>>
>>92582864
blood
>>
File: IMG_1946.jpg (22 KB, 299x336)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
Will the Orz ever find the Taalo
>>
File: 1000002331.jpg (381 KB, 793x1000)
381 KB
381 KB JPG
>>92567549
Some of them, yes. Flumphs are the ones that repair rifts leading to the equivalent of the Far Realm.
>>
Are there any Star Control RPG adaptations? Monster of the week planetary excursions and space combat. Something Star Trek probably?
>>
>>92601190
These things rolled over Dnyarri babies :(
>>
>>92582864
Blood
>>
>>92604001
based
>>
>>92601007
I named my first ever RPG character after the Pkunk
>>
>>92568749
:(
>>
>>92580796
>/v/
>playing games
>>
File: flumph.png (973 KB, 793x1000)
973 KB
973 KB PNG
>>92567549
If they end up that way, they are no longer a Lovecraftian abomination. They're just another creature in the world.
>>
>>92601190
Source?
>>
>>92610861
The image? Idk if we ever got official Taalo artwork. We just assume they’re big gentle rocks.
>>
>>92567549
>Are the lovecraftian abominations in your setting unintentionally adorable /tg/?
Yes, because I lifted the Orz and put them wholesale into my Rogue Trader campaign.
>>
>>92613223
The Orz can cross over into other fictional dimensions, being other-dimensional themselves, although some fictions are indeed quite *frumple*.
>>
>>92613229
I used them as an extragalactic variant of Enslavers.
>>
>>92604001
>>92610740
God I love Flumphs so much bros
>>
>>92580795
What is MEQ?
>>
You are help Orz with parties :)
>>
>>92604338
I know there was a homebrew GURPS Star Control I found on the internet before the oceans drank Atlantis, but I think I lost it in a hard drive crash.
>>
No! Do not!
>>
>>92617143
Bump.
>>
>>92617143
Marine Equivalent
>>
>>92586294
You know one thing about the Lovecraftian / Weird genre of outer gods, unknowable beings from beyond the stars, etc, is how they’re ALWAYS utterly inimical to humanity. Even Lovecraft’s alien races like the Yith and Elder Things are super-scary and extremely off putting to humans even though they may not actually hold any specific ill-will towards humanity. Why can’t there be any cosmic entities that humans LIKE, and maybe are worshipped out of a desire to get boons from them as opposed to stark terror (ie Yig)?
>>
How scary are the Orz REALLY?
>>
>>92622290
Cats.
In Lovecraft's works, cats are literal outer beings. They can go to and from the dreamlands and I think one or two planets basically at will. At some points they can speak as well.
Cats are the cute lovecraftian entities
>>
>>92622576
Idk, they’re kinda funny in a creepy sorta way. I’d probably hang out with them out of sheer (dangerous) curiosity (killed the cat).
>>
>>92622576
They're plenty creepy with their weird (translator-muddled) language, but I think the game didn't portray the true horror enough. I mean, Star Control has creepy sentient fungi planet-killing "terra"formers, spider monsters who worship literal gods of evil, horrifying blob monsters whose idea of good fun is trolling others, creepy Greys who have meddled with the humankind before, speak in riddles, and know a lot more than they actually say, not to mention two species whose philosophies are either "fight for us or be shut in on your planet" or "die".
>>
>>92622884
>creepy Greys who have meddled with the humankind before
It’s for our own benefit
>>
>>92622884
The Orz aren’t supposed to be obviously evil. We still can’t be sure. It’s subtle and ambiguous horror.
>>
>>92622901
Arilou hands typed this post
>>
File: file.png (614 KB, 921x651)
614 KB
614 KB PNG
>>92567549
Some can be.
>>
>>92600974
Wow, you're right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEEES8BeNCg
>>
>>92622657
>oh Yog-Sothoth I have made a grave mistake
>>
>>92622884
>spider monsters who worship literal gods of evil
It's just a prank bro
>>
>>92627529
Cute music
>>
File: 1571468983630.jpg (12 KB, 198x200)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>92627529
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s36eQwgPNSE
>>
>>92627529
I'm sure cute little guys like this don't really mean it.
>>
>>92600974
Interspersed with a Scooby Doo noise.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.