[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Dark Fantasy.jpg (85 KB, 639x633)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
Low effort Edition

>Previous: >>92570112

>NEW UA
https://media.dndbeyond.com/compendium-images/ua/ph-playtest8/gHvtmY50loGLgQUb/UA2023-PH-Playtest8.pdf
>NEW UA
https://media.dndbeyond.com/compendium-images/ua/ph-playtest7/tsgOb3llF22AL0nU/UA2023-PH-Playtest7.pdf

>New Errata
https://dnd.wizards.com/dndstudioblog/sage-advice-book-updates

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Trove
The Trove Vault (seed, please!):
bit<dot>ly/2Y1w4Md

>Resources:
https://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Why are you incapable of making a new thread?
>>
File: 1694956380372128.png (244 KB, 1000x1000)
244 KB
244 KB PNG
Myconids are yourconids.
>>
>job fucked me on overtime
>parental bs fucked my schedule
>rain
>no umbrella
>beer and liquor while i wait for it to pass

allright /5eg/, its time for some brainstorming
the campaign is current and runs as intended - dungeon crawl with roleplay as an intro and outro between sessions
took me a while to get this down and the game enjoyment improved massively for me and the players

the party is about to invade an ancient druidic grove, a power source for a wall of impassable briars, guarded by warlike, industrious hobgoblins

dungeon progression is simple
>camp
>thicket
>grove
i'll spare the story context, however i'm at my wits end for the hobgoblin taskmaster
while i want a full martial, i need mechanics to avoid the
>roll
>hit
>roll
>miss
loop ad infinitum, the problem is that the party is not durable to sustain a full tactics based fight - for now at least

the question is how to make a mundane fight interesting, i am thinking of environmental traps and sowing goblinoid mischief to prepare for the fight before the inevitable slugfest
this will rely on party stealth and ingenuity
does this seem like a good way to go about it?
>>
>>92590343
colville has a video on youtube called "action oriented monsters" where he goes through a hobgoblin boss encounter where he summons goblins as a lair action, might be something you can get some ideas from
>>
>>92590461
thanks, ill look into it when i get home
the main issue is that the party is paper thin and i want to focus on problem solving rather than combat as face value

though you did give me an idea for having to perform hit-and-run, runs the problem of being bad design, but any idea is good
>>
>>92590488
how is the party paper thin?
>>
>>92590499
level 4
1x CONmaxxed bladesinger
2x bard

i fucked up by not going gestalt, but since the bards are new players i didn't think it good to ease them in
im giving them a lot of one use/utility items to compensate and so far its functional
>>
File: Orcs.png (2.63 MB, 1347x1117)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB PNG
>>92590488
I mean, with the hit and runs, do something to imply to the group that they swarm and that an outright fight would end with them badly outnumbered. Consider environmental hazards and something they can stealth around and manipulate to take out goblins. Explosive barrels, logs they have tied up to undo and steamroll them, sneak into a small camp of them and poison a pot of stew, etc. Do some sabotage, and then make them even feel better about it because then the Hobgoblin tries to call them in, and nobody comes because they're already dead/incapacitated. May need to allow some "edge of rules" stealth kills/throat slits/Coup de Graces, but if you're truly concerned about it that's probably the way to go.

Remember, you're the DM and it's only as hard as you make it. Even have some of the goblins be cowards and run after sufficient numbers are lost, but thr final calls are yours. Just make it consistent and clear it isn't just you going "oh shit" and adjusting in the fly to avoid a TPK and you should be fine.
>>
>>92590582
how big is the camp they are going into at level 4? i would hope 15 enemies max with 3 or less being hobgoblins or the rest normal goblins
they dont scream stealth experts so sneaking might or might not work
give the possibility of sabotage like >>92590616 said or maybe they can turn half of the camp against the other, reducing the opposition?
>>
>>92590677
or else if they are going to all 3 areas in succession 15 enemies across them with one hobgoblin leader in each
>>
File: ancestor warlock.png (2.1 MB, 1020x1320)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB PNG
Final version, think I nailed it
r8
>>
>>92590191
#notmyconids
>>
>>92590714
What did you change except for 14th blade feature?
How is that even supposed to work? You need to hold the weapon to use extra attack, bloodthirster etc
Since the other 14th features are really good I would change it to be sort of like echo knight/dancing sword/trickster cleric
>Your pact blade is so infused with power that it gets a mind of it's own, as a bonus action you may throw your pact weapon up to 30 feet away from you and an illusory copy of you appears to catch it before you can make attacks from your pact weapons location, this effect lasts up to your charisma modifier times before the pact weapon returns to your hand, you may cast spells from the pact weapons location, when you make a critical hit you may as a free action teleport to your pact weapons location
>>
>>92590714
expanded spells have no real cohesive theme 5/10
level 1 feature is boring 5/10
level 6 feature is... ehhhh? points for tying it into each pact 7/10
level 10 feature is borderline broken (and boring) 0/10
level 16 feature is broken for blade pact, talisman pact (but who cares because lol talisman) and is also boring 2/10
>>
>>92590811
it also can teleport up to 30 feet before attacking like dancing sword, forgot to put that in there
>>
>>92590616
>May need to allow some "edge of rules" stealth kills/throat slits/Coup de Graces
Honestly I can't believe there's nothing for this, even a 'if you reduce an enemy to 0 in a surprise round/from hidden, you can choose to do this silently' ribbon for assassin.
>>
>>92590616
thats a good rundown of options, thanks
a story tidbit is that theyre harvesting the enchanted briars for arrowheads/pikes/siege weaponry, so a lot of the mentioned does come in handy

i think i'll give them the option of talking down the taskmaster after beating him down on the promise of the camp staying up in exchange for goods, something a player would want as an "upcoming lord"
i'll make most of the labourers goblins to avoid big statblocks of hobs, cowardly and superstitious so that they can play with the "psyche" instead of pure death
i think ive got a good premise now, it should work out, though i'll shorten the crawl to the "camp" and "grove" stage, where i'll use the latter as an RP outro for the session

>>92590677
realistically i havent thought of the size, but the circumstances are that the camp is hidden so at best i'd count 35 heads spread out, maybe max of 10 in the camp with the others being busy "briarjacking"
out of that around 8 hobs, including the taskmaster

the sabotage and intercamp tensions should offer the following
>goblin uprising
>hobgoblin power struggle
>goblincide for new workers
there are edge cases that dont matter, but the gist is that with the previous post they should get a "contact" through intimidation or debt
(intimidation being loss of face with the superior and cover-up of the shitstorm)

thanks to both of you for this, i think i have a general idea for what to run, the rest is just standard legwork
>>
File: Spoiler Image (692 KB, 904x440)
692 KB
692 KB PNG
>>92590811
>>92590824
>What did you change except for 14th blade feature?
Not much, just a little rewording on a feature or two for clarification.
>How is that even supposed to work? You need to hold the weapon to use extra attack, bloodthirster etc
Improved Pact Weapon lets you use it as a focus, otherwise use a one-hander I guess. It's not perfect, but I'm trying not to make it super complex.
>proposed feature
Pretty cool, but I actually considered something similar before I settled on the thing I did.
It was free action weapon creation and you could move to your weapon instead of it returning to you. It wasn't fully fleshed-out since I didn't want to imitate EK.

>>92590822
>expanded spells have no real cohesive theme 5/10
That's intended, it's supposed to be a bunch of disconnected "signature moves".
>level 1 feature is boring 5/10
That's like, your opinion man. It's hard to make something cool that isn't also just going to become dip-bait for pallys and sorcs. (picrel)
>level 6 feature is... ehhhh? points for tying it into each pact 7/10
Thanks, I did my best
>level 10 feature is borderline broken (and boring) 0/10
Action economy stronk, but surely 10th level is past the point where the DM has chosen what powerlevel his players will achieve anyways
>level 16 feature is broken for blade pact, talisman pact (but who cares >because lol talisman) and is also boring 2/10
Fair enough. I thought they were cool though.
>>
What's a good one-shot to run for someone who's coming in from Baldur's Gate 3?

The guy is honestly kind of a guy's guy; drinks IPAs, golfs with his brothers, that sorta thing. Obviously plays vidya and that's how he wound up asking me to run something, so I'm imagining something very "beer and pretzels", but with enough to entertain the rest of the table, who's pretty well rounded.
>>
>>92591087
Who else is playing? Your regular group? Run something for them, if he made it through BG he should be able to tolerate a one-shot.

Total beginners? Do wild sheep chase or something.
>>
>>92591087
Just throw together a combat gauntlet with a simple "rescue the damsel" premise
>bandit outpost with exterior archers
>cavern interior with some melee chuds
>final confrontation on drydocked pirate ship or some other cool terrain
Include some plucky volunteers from the town tavern or a couple local guardsmen so you can nudge their side of the field into intelligent choices in-character
>>
Hey fa/tg/uys

Anyone run the planescape torment book? Thoughts/changes?

Also, haven’t DM’d in years, what’s a good resource? I watched the first 30~ episodes of colville’s series
>>
recommend and sell me on a cleric healbot
>>
>>92591108
Other players would be my sister (total newbie), my wife (played my campaign for 3 years but still struggles with basic shit), and one other person: most likely be one of my more experienced players, though I told them they could/should invite someone they think they'd have fun with.

>>92591108
I ran Sheep Chase once and wasn't crazy about it? Felt too le wacky with the sheep and bed dragon and shit.
>>
>>92591198
>Felt too le wacky with the sheep and bed dragon and shit
Is dumb shit not the point of a beer and pretzels game? I've never seen a one-shot have any kind of serious tone, there's no point when everyone brings joke characters. Yeah, it's wacky, with some redditor quirk to it. I would actually make it dumber for the likes of Sir Diggus Bickus and Ancapia the Bard.
>>
File: SCAG.jpg (392 KB, 1400x1831)
392 KB
392 KB JPG
>Battlerager Barbarian
>Arcana Cleric
>Purple Dragon Knight Fighter
>Long Death Monk
>Crown Paladin
>Undying Warlock

Have you played any of the SCAG-exclusive subclasses? If not, which one(s) would you consider playing in the near future?
>>
>DM just gave me a new feature
>It lets me look into someone's past and give them a feeling of nostalgia towards myself
>Need to make a skill check to succeed
>+1 mod
>made jokes in the past how I had the worst modifier in this skill among the party
>DM compared it to Divine intervention
>The actual description is more akin to a basic charm spell, but doesn't actually charm them
Is there anyway I can actually make use of this? I'm genuinely struggling on thinking of how to use this in a meaningful way that isn't just trying to replicate something else I can already do.
>>
>>92591483
crown paladin and arcana cleric are solid
if i were to play a paladin, crown would be my go to since it has one of the few ways to taunt enemies in 5e
>>
>>92591483
I briefly played a Crown Paladin in my brother's oneshot a few years back. It's badly rounded out and most of the oath spells are shit. It's hard carried by the channel divinity, which is middle of the road. I'll only ever play it again with severe changes to the subclass.
>>
>>92591517
>>92591578
The duality of /5eg/
>>
>>92591483
Played a Long Death Monk in a one-shot. Had a blast with it - it is secretly one of the very best Monk subclasses, because its low-level subclass features don't demand Ki points to work, so that you can spend that resource on base class features while still getting everything the subclass offers.
>>
File: 1655787859732.jpg (312 KB, 1171x1457)
312 KB
312 KB JPG
>>92591647
I'm playing a long death monk rn, here's what I got

> Touch of Death
The bread and butter of the class, kind of annoying if your teammates constantly take your kills, cause you need kills for that bit of extra tankiness your class desperatly needs. Get a hat of vermin or a bag of rats to get the temp hp at the beginning of the day or between combats. A cooperative dm shouldn't be too much of a pain in the ass regarding allowing it, since you're not playing the best class in the first place

> Hour of Reaping
Kinda trash in combat, your action for a chance to fear everyone, allies included, until your next action ? It's not like you're a conquest paladin with special mechanics around fear, it's just the basic fear condition.
Though it can be useful in rp moments. It doesn't say you have to do anything like talk or move, so in a tense negociation with lets say a group of bandits, you can just stand there menacingly and watch them shit their pants. Cool out of combat applications if your dm is cooperative.

> Mastery of Death
This one should be good but I feel like if you allow your hp to reach zero and still have ki points, you fucked up somewhere. Could have been more useful to use them offensively instead of using them to buy you a little more time. Yeah, having 11+ relentless endurance in stock is good, but it's resource you could be using to do active things like stunning or dashing around the battlefield

> Touch of the Long Death
The open hand thing but worse. More expensive, less damage, more worth in terms of action economy, but still trash. It's not even something you add to an attack, and it being a con save is also trash. Many enemies will pass easily.

The subclass is alright cause it covers a bit the weakness of the monk aka fragility, but still not doing enough. I wouldn't call it the best but neither would I call it the worst, or put it on the level of battlerager, purple dragon kight or undying warlock that are trash.
>>
>>92591196
>Divine sorcerer X, life domain cleric 1
>mark of hospitality halfling (gets goodberry without additonal multiclassing)

>selling points for healing
- life domain + good berry shenanigans
- life domain + twin meta magic healing
- life domain + aura of vitality + extended meta magic

>selling points for defense
- con saves to maintain concentration
- heavy armor and shields
- shield, absorb elements, counter spell
- subtle spells to prevent counter spells

>selling points for offense
- con saves for spirit guardians, spirit of death, and twinned haste
- fireball
>>
>>92591820
I like hour of reaping despite how niche it is

>ranged
>aoe
>unlimited uses
>resourcless
>wis save

it's a sick ability to have in your back pocket
>>
When OneDnD comes out is there going to be a Surge of oldfag 3e/3.5 players insisting it was the best edition ever just like for 5e's entire life 2e fans have insisted it's the better edition

>t. play your games in the old folks home grandpa I want games with modern sensibilities
>>
>>92591820
>>92592140
This is the key of why Long Death is so great. Its subclass abilities are largely resourceless.
>>
File: 1662654919613588.jpg (92 KB, 1000x1415)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>92590871
No problem, anon, glad to help.

>Harvesting enchanted briars etc.
I now also have the idea of a section with a vat of sap or a briar trap you could try and trick them into and get stuck, either to eliminate them or at least make one of the preliminary scraps easier because they're all stationary. I assume with three Bards and a Bladesinger (That wasn't until after my post) there's not a lot of strength to go around, kek, so not much shoving but maybe there's something there.

>Few Hobs
>Large groups out "briarjacking"
>Intercamp tension with hobgoblins

Interesting ideas, but that also gives you more options. That can be a larger plot thing, where you're basically hitting the away team/stragglers and later on in the story/higher levels, you run into the Hobgoblins who had been tracking you down after this pissed you wrecked their operation.

Alternatively, if you still have them present, and you have a couple Bards and a Wizard? I have no idea how to strongly prompt a player plan/if they have it readily available, but maybe encourage them to use Disguise Self as a way to sow more discord and make some of the camps actively fight with others because they think Grognag threw barrels at Durgag's dudes, and they're too stupid to put it together before they go start swinging. Maybe have them find some document/drawings of the leaders and how the whole thing is structured. That may sound too big, but that sounds like something Hobs might lay around being very militant.

Good luck, anon, happy playing!

>>92590856
Honestly something I've been considering houseruling lately since it isn't and it took me the better part of a decade to realize that. I did see a reddit post on searching where someone reasonably patched in the 3.5 rules for it. It seems like a really obvious oversight to me, an easy enough thing to do, and something I want to promote more stealthing/grappling/tactical pre-fight playing from my players.
>>
>>92592800
they would have some thunderwave potential (maybe the bladesinger has crusher or any of them could have taken telekinetic as a half feat) but it does make a lot of noise so not something they can be stealthy with exactly
>>
>>92592272
Speaking of "largely resourceless", some changes to drunken master.

>Drunken Technique
At 3rd level, you learn how to twist and turn quickly as you fight.
-Hit and Run. When you use flurry of blows, your walking speed increases by 10 feet until the end of the current turn.
-Swaying Steps. Whenever you make a melee attack against a creature, you gain the benefit of the Disengage action until the end of the current turn. (just a better mobile feat)

>Tipsy Sway
Starting at 6th level, you can move in sudden, swaying ways. You gain the following benefits.
-Redirect Attack. When a creature misses you with a melee attack roll, as a reaction you can cause that attack to hit one creature of your choice, other than the attacker, that you can see within 5 feet of you.
-Leap to Your Feet. When you're prone, you can stand up by spending 5 feet of movement, rather than half your speed. If there is a creature within 5ft of you when you stand, you can use your bonus action to make an unarmed strike against that creature. On a hit, you can spend a ki point, and it must make a Strength saving throw. On a failure, it is knocked prone. kinda wordy, video related

>Drunkard's Luck (its just the fucking lucky feat lmao)
Starting at 11th level, you always seem to get a lucky bounce at the right moment. Whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can spend one ki point to roll an additional d20. You can choose to spend one of your ki points after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined. You choose which of the d20s is used for the attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.

>Intoxicated Frenzy
At 17th level, you gain the ability to ignore pain and shrug off most attacks. When you use your flurry of blows, the next source of damage you take is reduced by half. not sure if I should put a time limit on it

https://youtu.be/74OBuMA2qEk?t=203
>>
>>92593033
leap to your feet should be a free action imo and make it a contested athletics vs athletics/acrobatics check to see if you can knock them down
i also think that redirect attack should be worded like deflect missiles
is the intention that the missed attack automatically hits a nearby target in the current version?
>>
File: 1700427638233679.png (17 KB, 821x111)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>92593131
I only removed the ki cost from redirect, it's always worked that way.

>leap to your feat
Standing is free, and the attack from standing is also free, it's only the choice to inflicted prone that has a cost.
>>
>>92593190
>If there is a creature within 5ft of you when you stand, you can use your bonus action to make an unarmed strike against that creature
it does use resources to do, i would prefer a free action contested check that is just a quick flick of your leg against a nearby enemy that you do while standing up so you can then wail on them with action and flurry
>>
>>92593033
I want monk to generally feel like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyPB-9EorDc
>>
Has anyone run Neverland or Oz supplements?
>>
>>92592226
One D&D is 5.5, not a new edition.
But a bastardized combination of 3.5 and 5e, with more emphasis on short rests and a few other things brought over from 4E, WOULD be the best edition ever
>>
>>92590159
Fuck off. I did my time making new threads for years. Have all these newfags start making them, they need to learn.
>>
File: IMG_3141.jpg (196 KB, 1047x789)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
>>92590159
Our wild magic sorcerer had a crazy night last night
>>
>>92593233
>>92593190
Leap to your feet has a niche use case against ranged enemies by dropping prone at the end of every turn. Evasion and deflect missiles work fine when you're on the floor.
>why not just dodge instead?
Maybe you're double dashing.
>>
>group has had 2 weeks to finish their level one characters
>at every turn get some passive aggressive remark about how a 'skilled DM' or 'the right type of person' would be able to run their zero thought, no substance gimmick character
>game starts in an hour
>one hasn't even named her character
>another is whining at me to let his shadow sorc. have access to several summoning spells
>third keeps telling me how his super special OC has all these spirits and ancient hags looking out for him
>wake up and go "fuck this I'm out"
>realise I'd be spending each week trying to drag them kicking and screaming into actually participating and having to create everything including their own PCs for the game
>they say I'm the one at fault for not trying harder
Guess I'll try again in another three years
>>
If I give a monster 280 hp, how long will it take for 4 level 5s to kill it? 4 turns?
>>
File: images (27).jpg (6 KB, 257x196)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>92595265
>level 1
>>
>>92595332
Figure out their DPT and burst potential, anon, level 5 could mean fireball or it could mean extra attack or 2nd level smite or sneak attack.
>>
>>92591483
The Battlerager does tempt me from time to time when I want to go for some sort of sonic the hedgehog grappler hybrid.
Usually my thoughts involve sweet-talking the DM to giving it some buffs, my inner powergamer cries looking at it.
>>
/5eg/, I want to add skill actions that will buff martials but not casters. Is there a better approach than this?
>>
>>92595753
Literally every other approach other than that is a better approach than that. What is even the purpose of nerfing Action Surge this hard?
>>
>>92595753
What's a skill action?
>>
>>92595753
>skill actions
>built on Extra Attack
This is retarded and you're retarded because it shuts out rogue, which is the skill-based class.
>>
>>92595795
I'm guessing it's not intended to. It should say something like whenever you take an action, you can take an additional action that can only be used to make a weapon attack.
>>
>>92595795
>>92595832

Can you tell me what one of these better approaches is?
>>
>>92595850
Naw, he's been posting this for a couple of days. He's trying to let martials use cunning action as a replacement for an attack. Which he can just say instead of doing this weird ass wording he keeps posting.
>but muh rogues
fuck 'em, it's a shit class for garbage players
>>
>>92595753
>>92595874
Can you say what a skill action is supposed to be first? Because I keep seeing you post this and you never actually seem to clarify.
>>
>>92595753
Anon, for god's sake, learn the terminology because it’s hard to understand you.
>>
>>92595891
a "Skill Action" is an action, bonus action, or reaction that any creature can take, which involves making an ability check using a skill

for an example, a skill action might be something like this:

>Feint
>As a bonus action, you can attempt to trick a creature within your reach who can see you into creating an opening in their defense. Make a Charisma (Deception) check contested by the target's Wisdom (Insight) check. On a success, the next attack you make against the target before the end of your turn has advantage
>>
>>92595930
so a manuever
>>
>>92595930
Read the rules first. Get a better idea on what exactly you’re changing.
>>
>>92595877
it's not quite cunning action. maybe this is clearer

>Once on each of your turns you can make a weapon attack, a shove, or a grapple without using your action
>>
>>92595874
https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Vp2RHfxuAwBI
>>
>>92595930
I mean, if it's stuff like making an Athletics check to shove someone, then yeah, that works out fine if you're just adding it to the list of things you can substitute an attack action for. It does sort of cuck Rogues out of certain things, like how certain Rogue subclasses get explicit features to make certain checks as a bonus action, but generally a lot of those features aren't too useful anyway.

The way you have it worded here though >>92595753 just makes it so any character that gets Extra Attack can simply use their action to do whatever they want, and instead any extra attacks are just free.
>>
>>92595967
anon, I know exactly what I'm changing. I'm just assuming you people are smart enough to deduce what a "skill action" is without me having to tell you. Clearly that's an error on my part.

>>92595940
it can function as a maneuver, but not always. Have you read the OneD&D playtests? It features a few such actions: Search, Study, and Influence
>>
>>92595969
You can already do that. Both the rules on page 195 for grappling and shoving a creature say "If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them."
>>
>>92595986
>The way you have it worded here though >>92595753 (You) just makes it so any character that gets Extra Attack can simply use their action to do whatever they want, and instead any extra attacks are just free.

That's basically what I was trying to do. I WANT actions like Dash, Dodge, and Disengage to benefit martials more than casters.
>>
>>92596009
anon, your lack of reading comprehension boggles the fucking mind. Did you really graduate middleschool with that much lead paint in your system?
>>
>>92596036
This from the retard who's trying to buff martials by nerfing Action Surge.
>>
>>92595753
>want to buff martials
>create something that exclusively nerfs fighters
>>
>>92596001
>I'm just assuming you people are smart enough to deduce what a "skill action" is without me having to tell you
Why would you assume any of us know what retarded homebrew lives exclusively in your mind? You fucking autist.
>>
>>92595986
>>92595969
But this is just a weird hole in the system you've created. You get an Action, a Bonus Action, and one of the Free Interactions as well as your Movement. Those are specific things that are locked in, and have rules about what goes first, how they interact, what you can do with them, etc. What you're proposing is "An action that you take that isn't one of those actions." If you want to make it a form of Cunning Action that uses the BA but for more violent martial actions, sure. If you want it to be something that replaces one of the attacks you make with the Attack action, great, you've reinvented the system that already exists. If you're proposing a third option, you're creating a Special Action of some sort that exists alongside a Normal Action but is a different thing but is part of it but... etc. etc. It's a weird and poorly defined loop.

The end of the day here, you're doing something that fucks with the action economy, which is fundamental to 5e's design, and delicate. That's tantamount to altering the proficiency bonus/bounded accuracy system, for how fundamental that is. I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, but the way you're trying to present it is very odd and borderline recursive.

If I'm understanding what you're trying, you'd be best served to create a "Special Action" or whatever you want to call it, and say that Martials, instead of getting Extra Attack as it exists, get a "Special Action" which can be used in such, such, and such ways. Mind you, I just struggled not to say "A special bonus action" because that's actually a specific thing, so you can see the semantic issue here. That kind of rambled and I don't know that I'd go about it this way, but I hope this helps elucidate somehow.
>>
>>92596036
You’re not exactly clear, anon. Your wording is terribly confusing. I’ll try to help, though.

So, instead of reworking Extra Attack, we’re replacing it with Limited Action Surge, which reads, "On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action. This action can only be used to take the Attack action."
>>
>>92596107
Anon I'm on your side but I think you're wasting effort. We had managed to move away from the eleven flavors of actions from 3e and this anon thinks it would be better to go back rather than use existing chasses that support streamlined options, he clearly can't think his way out of a paper bag given all this.
>>
>>92595753
>buff martials but not casters
>nerfs fighters
>nerfs gloomstalker as well
>>
>can just tell your martial players they get an action for free each turn
>instead post a poorly written word salad with made up terms on 4chan
>get mad when anons ask questions
I love 5eggs
>>
Fine, how is this?
>>
>>92596232
Much better and not retarded
>>
>>92596232
>use what is called a Basic Maneuver
>Any creature can use a Basic Maneuver, but some creatures are better at it than others
The sheer passive aggression you typed this with is hilarious, go back to /reddit/ anon.
>>
>>92596232
You can already replace one of your attacks to grapple and shove.
Limiting it by spending a reaction nerfs it heavily
Also I think feint buffs Hexblades and Bards more then it does martial
So feint only buffs paladins and swashbuckler rogues (purple dragon fighters too but no one plays that)

You can also just buff martials just be playing smart enemies
>>
>>92596307
>You can already replace one of your attacks to grapple and shove
shhhh don't tell him that, he wants it to be his speshul homebrew
>Limiting it by spending a reaction nerfs it heavily
to be fair his shitbrew doesn't do that
>>
>>92596354
Yeah I misread that part
Phoneposting sucks, can’t move the reply
>>
Any megadungeons or modules that take place in an abandoned jail or one taken by its prisoners?
>>
>>92596687
You thinking of your PCs being guards, prisoners, or sneaking into the prison for one reason or another?
>>
which fey creature would play pranks on adventurers but help out if they got into a fight
>inb4 all of them
>>
>>92597405
Redcaps, those mischievous but good-at-heart little rascals.
>>
>>92597405
Any of them but unironically. That's like the whole schtick of fey in general is being tricksters. No need to overthink it.
>>
>>92597405
Probably the ones that are listed as Good. They're the ones who would still play pranks, but would ultimately be willing to help out a traveler if they were in serious trouble.
Something like a Quickling or another Evil fey would play a prank, but then just leave if things got serious.

So you're looking for Pixies and Sprites most likely
>>
>>92597424
>>92597430
>>92597447
I'm gonna go with a trio of a grinning cat, a young korred and a satyr trickster
Pranks
>steal random shit
>illusion of a treasure hoard
>meld stone around their camp
>make one of the party appear as a monster to others
>"shortcut" sign that leads to a cliff
any other ideas?
also is there a mechanical spell that allows perfect voice mimicry?
>>
So my group decided to not use Initiative to decide turn order and instead has opted to just let the party members go in first. However this makes the Initiative stat useless in this system. What other ways can Initiative be used?
>>
>>92597541
Passive initiative, everyone is assumed to have rolled a 10 on the die.
>>
Anybody ever use the A5e classes? My group wants to give it a shot but looking at them, it's meh.
>>
>>92597541
What? This isn't the kind of thing they get to decide.
>"we've been talking and we think all 5 of us should be allowed to attack every monster before it does anything"
No motherfucker, why would you even enjoy doing that?

Give monsters their initiative bonus in extra hit dice and also add it to their damage rolls
>>
File: Fabulous Kenku.jpg (65 KB, 564x877)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>92597532
Major image comes to mind since it can mimic sounds, smells and temperature along with the image it creates. There's also the actor feat or just playing a Kenku lets you do perfect voice mimicry. I know this because I've played a Kenku Glamour Bard and messed with a bunch of Drow by creating Umberhulks and forcing them to avert their gaze so they're attacking with disadvantage with an Aboleth we killed earlier I made appear to be the one pulling the strings.
>>
>>92597541
Initiative isn't a stat
>>
>>92597541
That's retarded, it's like removing concentration on all spells or making attunement scale with proficiency modifier.
>>
>>92597541
There are plenty of different systems out there which use initiative in different ways. Popcorn initiative. Fast/Slow turns from SotDL. Group initiative. There's lots of options.

That said, I'm not sure how much it matters, other than the fact that there's now very little reason to use any sorts of glass cannon enemies. The fact that the players reliably go first basically just means that in order to get the intended difficulty of any fight, you're gonna need to toss in extra enemies.
5e doesn't even have an initiative stat. It's just a Dex check, so it's not like Dex being less useful is a bad thing really.

But even beyond that, I'd question why they're asking for this change. Is it because they routinely have fights end where they don't get to act because the enemies die too quickly? Do they get dogpiled by enemies before they can go and end up sitting out? Do they just dislike how long combat takes and think this will speed it up?
The answers to things like that determine what, if anything, you should change. If they want group initiative so they can act more, maybe that's just a sign that fights need to be tuned down. If they want it so that things are faster, then they might simply not actually enjoy a combat-heavy system like 5e.
>>
>>92597905
>we've been talking and we think all 5 of us should be allowed to attack every monster before it does anything
Well, yeah it's not very fair for monsters to be able to attack us before we even get a chance to react. It's bullshit that the DM can just decide "lol ur ded nao :^)" before I get a turn.
>>
File: 01.jpg (106 KB, 564x911)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
Does anyone know of a monster / creature creator site? I want to create a custom dragon. I want a dragon that'd make sense for a druid heavy campaign, but none of the bog standard D&D dragons feel druidy. I could even use a non 5e site or CYOA or something. I just want something to play with as a brain storm.

Thanks.

>pic unrelated
>>
>>92596929

Yes, them being guards and being tasked with bringing order to a prison.
>>
>>92598054
homebrewery
>>
>>92598054
Elaborate on what you mean by a "druidy" dragon. Usually, I just use 5etools.
>>
I'm a level 9 scribes wizard with access to a library with all spells up to level 5, and a few thousand gold to spare. What spells should I get? (and don't say all of them)

I've already got all rituals, and spells with every element damage for 1-3 level. And then just some of the classics, polymorph, greater invis, wall of force, telekinesis.

Are there any sorely overlooked wizard spells that I may have missed and will kick myself for not taking later?
>>
>>92598294
>Synaptic Static
>Scrying
>Hold Monster
>Dominate Person
>Bigby's Hand
>>
>>92598294
Summon draconic spirit is underrated, it's an extra body plus an elemental resistance.
>>
>>92598352
Summon Aberration is also sick.
>>
How would you guys go about flavoring the backstory/patron element a Genie Warlock Goblin? Was thinking of some street urchin who managed to steal a magic bottle he thought contained booze, but turned out to be an efreeti that thanked said goblin by making him his servant/slave and having him doing his bidding in the Material Plane in exchange for power. Was thinking of a sort of cowardly blaster caster with a monkey or flying monkey familiar.
>>
File: 1689416902949446.png (208 KB, 561x928)
208 KB
208 KB PNG
>>92598054

jabberwocky
>>
File: 1711790212041606.png (1.57 MB, 1200x707)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB PNG
>>92598054
>>92598506
some art
>>
>>92598423
So Aladin?
>>
Are any of the beadle and grimms dnd 5e editions worth getting to enhance the player experience? I know they usually come with 4 additional pre-written adventures the the team writes; some encounter cards and handouts as well as battle maps. The more expensive editions usually have some minis and unique trinkets to hand out to players during gameplay. You can mention ones that are no longer available since they go for sale on eBay sometimes.
>>
>>92598573
Kinda, at least in regards to the monkey since I don’t think any other familiar would fit. Just wanted to know if anyone had any experiences with Efreeti in game, either as a patron or antagonist of some sort. Something to work off of outside of their textbook descriptions as lawful evil slavers from the City of Brass or just Aladdin.
>>
File: DRqZmLgUIAATxnY.jpg (327 KB, 2048x1498)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
>>92597532
>"Shortcut" sign that leads to a cliff

Now I want to make a sidequest where a fey in the form of a bird just Wile E. Coyote's the whole fucking party for a session
>>
>>92598799
Efreeti are evil af and will fuck anyone below them, taking pleasure in corrupting wishes. They are caught in court intrigues of the city of brass and will inversely be submissive and pathetic in front of a higher ranked emir, pasha, sultan or vizir. Everything they do should be about gaining more power, favor, prestige, wealth, etc. Exotic slaves such as a Marid princess or sea elves are particularly valuable. Think of material plane as this absolutely irrelevant foreign place except if it can benefit their station back in the city of brass in some way by giving them an edge. Maybe a fire related artifact recovered from the material plabe will impress the daughter of the sultan into agreeing to a marriage proposal
>>
>>92592226
3.5 WAS the greatest edition ever. It might have been a trainwreck, but idgaf, it was pure kino in game form.
>>
>>92599818
road runner is the bird
>>
File: stance monk.png (2.12 MB, 1020x1320)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB PNG
Which stance is strongest?
>>
what's a cool twist for a small village sheriff besides being a werebear. I'm looking for something subtle but I'm also considering making him just normal if I cant find anything that fits
>>
>>92600874
He's a terrible policeman but a famed and feared literary critic
>>
>>92599907
it wasn't good, you were just 12 years old.
>>
why no official Grung?
Grung peas?
I want to poison slap people
>>
File: goofy-trial.gif (1.01 MB, 498x280)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB GIF
>>92600192
While I do appreciate the pedantics and did kind of beef that one, I will say that technically, I would be Coyoteing the party by putting them in his role like that.
>>
>>92598284
A typical western style dragon that you'd see in D&D whose theme revolves around nature based motivations, powers, spells, and abilities.
>>
>>92598277
Neat tool, thanks.

>>92598511
>>92598506
Some of that works, yeah. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>92600796
The whole thing is too bloated, badly formatted and uses terms not in the 5e vernacular.
>>
>>92601084
It's no more bloated than some official subclasses.
The formatting is due to my contraining it to a single page.
Not sure which terms you mean, I introduced "learned" and "perfected" for the "kata", but all those are defined in the features.
>>
>>92600796
That looks clunky as hell and annoying to play.
>>
>Feat at 1st level as part of your background
>Feat at every even-numbered class level
>Ability Score Improvement feat doesn’t exist, no way to get +2 to an ability score off a single feat
>All feats made into half feats
Could it work?
>>
>>92601474
It would be too broken.
Humans walking around with GWM, Sentinel, and Polearm master at lv 2 and +4 asi.
>>
>>92601546
You’re right, I forgot to list
>Vuman banned
because that’s such a baseline assumption of every table I’ve ever been at that I forgot it needed to be said.
>>
>>92601562
>Vuman banned
I've literally never seen a single table do this, but if that's the case then that explains why there's so many freakshows nowadays.
>>
>>92601474
>Feat at 1st level
>All feats made into half feats

I've done the first and heavily considered the second, doesn't seem too broken at all since there's some cool feats that just don't fully justify taking them over that, and others that are clearly broken for doing that and still being great vs. others without it. Generally, feats just make the game more interesting, in my experience. Maybe leave the "Initiate/Adept" ones as they are, but should be fine for the rest.

>ASI doesn't exist
>Every even numbered class level

That I don't know about. That seems overtuned, and the ASI could work with everything being half feats, but still seems frustrating to take the option away, and that might lead to some dumb shit. Also nerfs Fighters a bit and fuck knows they don't need it. Seems like a roundabout way to accidentally re-invent 3.5 a bit.

I am curious what other peoples' feedback is, though, but I do know "First level feat for everyone" is a pretty common house rule.
>>
i'm playing a v.human order cleric of elemental earth
naturally i took Magic Initiate (Druid) for Mold Earth and Magic Stone
i'm considering taking Sharpshooter and using a sling to double the range of my Magic Stone and give it decent damage
how retarded is this idea bros, should i stop trolling and just take Res (CON)?
>>
>>92601562
>>92601578
My table doesn't ban Vuman, but it bans Custom Lineage.
>>
File: 1708545272289027.png (42 KB, 552x198)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>92601474
Kinda, but not really. Because in theory, you get 11 ability score increases across a whole campaign. But then you realize most games don't go past level 12, and most end at 10. So Really, over the course of most campaigns, you're only getting 6 ability score increases. 3 of those are going into your damage stat, so you have 3 points to "customize" your character.

Another idea is splitting ASI from feats all together. Grant a feat at 1st, 4th, 8th, 16th, and 19th. Martial's gaining an additional feat or ASI at 6th and 10th, and fighters gaining one extra feat or ASI at 12th. Grant a +1 ASI on every level up till 10th level, and +1 asi every third level after that (13th, 16th, and 19th) giving players 13 ASIs total instead of 10, martials and fighters can opt for 17 and 19 ASI bonuses.

In all honesty, the feat system needs to be restructured. A lot of newer feats are quite powerful. The dragonlance, giant, and outer plane feats in particular are very fun to play with and are quite strong. But they aren't lucky, GWM, SS, PAM, CBE and require a prereq so they might be ignored.

We need more weapon feats that WotC is too scared to make. Giving GWM/SS and other weapon feats some kinda of cool prereq feat would be neat. And its not like they need to be weak either, just look at SoS.
>>
>>92601474
Feels like it's re-inventing 4e, where you get lots of feats and regular boosts to scores.
It does seem like it would be a very sharp uptick in character power though. A character that starts with a 16 can have a 20 in that stat by level 6, and will likewise be able to get every stat pumped up to that extent.

It also just makes certain options worse. Any existing half-feats that were good options because they offered an ASI boost are now lesser, because now any feats balanced out by not boosting stats are incredible. Unless you make it so Sharpshooter gives a bonus to Wisdom instead of Dex, it's just even more of an obligatory choice for any ranged weapon user.
And of course Fighters and Rogues are now less special for getting one or two bonus feats when everyone is going to end up with so many.

Older editions have proved that can work, but I think certain feats that exist in the game already don't really fit within the framework. 5e went out of its way to have fewer, more powerful feats, and this seems like it's undoing that.
>>
>>92601861
>A character that starts with a 16 can have a 20 in that stat by level 6, and will likewise be able to get every stat pumped up to that extent.

nta, but yes and no. Most games don't go past 10 so hitting 20 at 6 is nice, but that only leaves you with like, +3 ASI so spread around your stats.
>>
>>92591647
I took ritual caster with long death monk so i could summon a familiar at the beginning of the day to choke out, it was a pretty funny gimmick
>>
File: Bloodfire Fighter-1.png (370 KB, 1700x2200)
370 KB
370 KB PNG
My autism seeing this video drove me to try to make a subclass based on it. "Bloodfire" sounds fun, afflicting your body with surging fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpgZ5oDTztY

Any thoughts on it? It could be a fun fighter with AOE features?
>>
>>92601947
Sounds expensive.
>>
>>92601948
Also, edit, I realized I forgot to change the bloodfire burst thing.

> Bloodfire burst - As an action, you unleash a wave of the scorching flames building up inside you. All creatures within a 15 x 10 cube in front of you must roll a Dexterity saving throw against your Bloodfire Save DC and on a failure they 2d10+your fighter level in fire damage and become marked by your bloodfire. You can do this once per long or short rest, unless you expend 2 hit dice to use this feature again.
>>
>>92601900
>but that only leaves you with like, +3 ASI so spread around your stats.
You say that as though it's unusual.
As it currently stands, there would only be 2 ASIs between level 1 and level 10. which would just be capping out your main stat by level 8 if you get no feats, and potentially having a point or two left over for something else.

A Fighter gets an extra one, so they would have 2-3 spare points depending on how high their starting Strength was, but now everybody gets that instead. And everybody gets that on top of the bonuses from all the feats they're picking.
For a game lasting to level 10, it wouldn't be unusual to see a character not end up with a 20 in a stat because they picked a powerful feat or two instead.

My point with saying all of this is to illustrate that it is without question a major buff to the PCs, which would then need to be compensated for and accounted for elsewhere. 5e tends to not be a very challenging game as-is, so buffing characters across the board with better stats, features, and options would likely diminish that even further.
>>
>>92601947
>10 gold for 8 temp HP
You could have just invested in a hat of vermin or better yet, a bag of tricks
>>
>>92601135
>the problems with it are my fault!
Yeah that's what you were already told when you first posted this trite 2 months ago.
>>
>>92601855
>>92601861
I guess the real question becomes whether “make all feats half-feats” includes rebalancing feats against the fact that they’re now all half-feats. If it doesn’t rebalance anything, it obviously just makes optimal choices more optimal.

I think there’s something there if feats were to be rebalanced, though, as long as the system enough different feats per ability score that you can differentiate characters valuing the same stat. That’d be a massive overhaul, though, since you’d probably be looking at over 150 feats, for preference. But then it would potentially represent different mechanical rewards and expressions for characters with the same ability score priorities, rather than them all playing the same way. It’d also make the allocation of secondary stat increases potentially more interesting, since it’d really come down to what utility feat you wanted instead of just “pump Wisdom I guess”.

I don’t know. It’s interesting to think about, though I think it might work better if paired with a houserule I saw a while back where your starting ability scores AFTER racial ASIs can’t exceed 16.
>>
>>92602314
The thing is that if you rebalance feats to all be half feats, you're just left with the case where feats need to be weaker overall. At which point it almost feels like feats have become less exciting and less interesting, since instead of choosing between taking GWM or +2 Str at 4th level, it's instead like you get Savage Attacker, Piercer, and Martial Adept by level 4 while adding up to +3 Strength.
The feats themselves are less impactful individually, even if collectively +3 Strength and those damage bonuses might be better than GWM. It's also more to to remember and keep track of, since you've got lots of little feats with different benefits instead of one big feat.
>>
>>92602441
imo, SS could stand to be split in half

- Increase your Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
- Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attack rolls.
- Your ranged weapon attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.

- Increase your Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
- Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack's damage.
>>
File: Periander.jpg (453 KB, 855x1500)
453 KB
453 KB JPG
Would it be safe to consider tyranny, even the classical definition used in Ancient Greece, to be a lawful concept rather than a chaotic one?
>>
>>92602490
It probably could, though the way you've split it still ends up with 90% of the power being to the -5/+10.
Ignoring disadvantage and cover are nice upsides, and having a half-feat that offers those as a bonus is a good use of a feat, but ultimately the reason people are picking Sharpshooter is for what it does for damage. And being able to increase Dex at the exact same time only adds to that even more.

And of course, under this variant, a level 4 character can still have all the benefits of the current Sharpshooter feat by taking these two feats. They just get them alongside a +2 bonus to Dex so they didn't end up actually having to choose whether Sharpshooter was worth sacrificing a boost to Dex.
Again, it works out to just be a straight-up buff. Which is fine, but it's something that one needs to be cognizant of.
>>
>>92602539
yes
>>
File: 1666374497016449.jpg (88 KB, 758x748)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>92602590
Cool. Thanks.
>>
>>92602541
the alternative is to give SS and GWM the classic

>-pb to your attack roll
>+pbx2 to your damage roll

To make it less appealing at earlier levels.
>>
>>92602735
>>92602541
I like the way it was done in Solasta's community modpack.

> -3 to attack for 3+proficency in extra damage.
>>
File: GL8qToTX0AAldcP.jpg (356 KB, 1400x1400)
356 KB
356 KB JPG
Damn, Diana the Acrobat got the short end of the jumping stick.
>>
File: Battle Master Builds.png (1.1 MB, 2316x2087)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
>>92582057
I like Deficient Master's content overall. Some takes i'm not 100% keen on, like not a big fan of using out of game timers/hourglasses to keep my players moving, I'll just simply tell them "Hey we'll come back to your turn while you think- in the meantime its Y's turn..".
The "Your D&D Character Builds SUCK. This is why" video is a bit satirical with the only aspect I'm less keen on is saying that by sitting down and having a plan-and sticking to said plan for how you're going to build or level advance your PC is a bad thing. I think that's fine as long as you don't feel inflexible (In terms of Roleplaying) as a character. If I know that I want to play a Fighter (Battle Master) who's damn strong with a Halberd, I'll happily get feats like Great Weapon Master, Polearm Master, Sentinel, and increase my Strength- this fits the character's style of fighting and the way they were trained. I won't however be inflexible in terms of RP or working towards solutions, not every solution to our problems have to be resolved by the sharp edge of an axe head and with the way 5e is designed thats naturally a part of the games skill system.
>>
>>92602995
>shock trooper
>Feats: weapon master

it never gets old
>>
>>92601948
Just going to point out some basic faults.

>(Wings) You do not fall vertically until the end of your next turn. If you are not standing on something when your turn ends, you fall.
These sentences have different timings. Is the fighter immune to gravity for one or two turns?

>(Manipulation) can cast it without verbal or material components. You can cast it at all, by using your item interaction.
ESL? Either way, Control Flames doesn't have verbal or material components. Rewrite it as "You learn the Control Flames cantrip, and you can cast it as part of an item interaction."
>>
>>92603026
>>Feats: weapon master
>clearly says GWM

>>92602995
He's got an annoying whiny voice, and his 'builds suck' video was just Stormwind fallacy faggotry
>>
>>92602966

>D&D cartoon

Why is that unwatchable thing popular?
>>
>>92602995
He’s like most other D&D YouTubers; he didn’t read the books and struggled to understand why the game didn’t fit his preconceived notions. He bitches about "paper buttons," but that’s a side effect of gamers coming to table top, and D&D isn’t responsible for that.
>>
>>92604098
Nostalgia for the 2 dozen people that actually watched it
Manufactured faux-nostalgia for everyone else
>>
File: Spoiler Image (266 KB, 594x454)
266 KB
266 KB PNG
>>92604098
If you watch somethig as a kid, you may like it, even if is not great....
also it showed Diana's nipple maybe...
>>
I think for my next character I just want to go for a stereotypical lawful good religious paladin with oath of devotion and play it straight with all the cliches. However I still feel like there should be a somekind of twist to keep things interesting, especially as the campaign progresses so there is room for some kind of character development. However, I dont want to drift too far from the stereotypical knight in shining armor. Any ideas for a twist that still lets me play as the hero of old knightly tales?
>>
File: Spoiler Image (1.4 MB, 1200x1802)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB PNG
>>92604366
Bee yourself.
>>
>>92593033
drunkin master should also get proficiency with improvised weapons and they should count as monk weapons so you can stunning strike with them
>>
>>92604155
>>92603666
You play the game however you likee!
>>
>>92604366
Terrible secret of some sort, took the Oath because he deserted the military and left his squad to die or something, is doing it in repentance. Bit boring, but still a twist and the rest is cliche, right? Alternatively, has some very odd contrary character quirk. Look over the Flaws table for your background and/or others, choose one and play it up, that's more a subversion for that type than you'd think. For instance, I have a Paladin where he's very much about honor and the bond of his word, but when on the receiving end of kindness or favors, is very flippant/nonplussed about it and bad at being grateful. Which, when not played to a frustrating degree, I think can be an interesting dichotomy.
>>
As a DM, how do I work around two of my players taking Sentinel? I want to make the fights fun, but the only way seem to either go full ranged (bleh) or Big Dudes. Every fight I use a Big Dude is fun, but I'd like to change it up.
>>
>>92604994
Throw more enemies at them, they still only get one reaction per round. You can also start using attacks that forcibly remove them from attack range so they can't just keep swinging, and doesn't engage AoO.
Also consider larger play arenas with items of interest to spread the party out so the enemies don't have to just bunch up and take the hits.
Also the teleportation spells like Misty Step don't trigger AoOs.
>>
>>92605055
Thx for the advice, will try to implement and see how it fares.
>>
Barbarian with 15 STR (standard rolls), should I take GWM or +2 ASI?
>>
>>92605128
Crusher.
>>
>>92605155
I don't do any bludgeoning damage, though.
>>
>>92605164
lol scrub
>>
>>92602441
Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter are garbage design and shouldn't be held up as what the system should be like.
>>
File: 2323432.webm (3.67 MB, 500x480)
3.67 MB
3.67 MB WEBM
Your group *does* have a token big titty fat chick, right?
>>
>>92605400
True, the -5/+10 should be an option for everyone without a feat.
>>
>>92605626
Precisely.
>>
>>92605578
No, we're all ugly old men.
>>
>>92605578
Do FTM transmen count if they aren't on HRT and still have fat tits?
>>
>>92590159
If you play anything other than second edition you are an effeminate.
>>
>>92605834
>Playing second edition
>Not BECMI
You prancing la-la homo man.
>>
what's a good fantasy herd animal?
ill go with bison if there's nothing more exotic
>>
>>92605731
Just do what I do. Have power attacks be a default option, and make them half feats.
>>
>>92605895
Erdlu
>>
>>92605895
Dire Yak
>>
Is it worth multiclassing as a level 6-7 Samurai to a War Domain Cleric up to around level 5 for stuff like Spirit Guardians, bonus action attack, +10 to hit channel divinity, etc? Was thinking of making a dex based Samurai Wood Elf for the Elven Accuracy (+1 going into Dex) with stats being something like 10,17,15,8,15,8 after point buy with ASI boosting Con and Wis. Just workshopping the idea around, though feedback is welcome.

>>92605895
Steeders (giant pack mule spiders in the Underdark) that the Duergar use come to mind. I think also in places like Chult they use dinosaurs as pack animals as well.
>>
File: file.png (853 KB, 1000x712)
853 KB
853 KB PNG
>>92605895
>>92606053
Misread that as pack animals, sorry. Another fantasy animal that sorta comes close to bison would be Aurochs, which orcs use as war mounts due to their ferocity.
>>
>>92605958
>>92606000
>>92606113
Auroch is what I was looking for thanks
>>
>>92605789
No.
>>
Why was the Ancient Black Dragon ruling over the neighboring country once called "The Adulterer"
>>
File: 1624437180689691.jpg (48 KB, 430x430)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
What horrible monstrosity of a class/gimmick combination should I play if I'm bored with 5e? The more unoptimized or autistically complex, the better.
>>
So have you ever met a person who wanted to play a sentient weapon before? I recently thought it might be kinda cool to play a Sorcerer who was once a sword or some other sentient weapon that then got turned into a person with their own body and power- they'd have like sword skills and spells and martial prowess to alongside the new body as it would feel more natural to them while also being able to summon a visage or facsimile of their old body to use as a weapon.
>>
>>92606113
>aurochs
>fantasy
American education, everyone.
>>
>>92607418
>play a sentient weapon
>>
>>92607418
I played a sentient weapon kinda
A hexblade plasmoid who achieved sentience after absorbing a sentient sword.
One of the bits I did with that charter was make him believe that he was a human, so would constantly use MoMF to be a "human" pile of goo
>>
File: drow cuisine.jpg (97 KB, 780x438)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
Any cuisine from Toril or the Planes you'd be interested in trying?
>>
Glove of insight
>As an action you can place this glove against your chin and speak the command phrase(hmmm), you gain an extra action.
>>
>>92607716
>Not just casting Augury
Cringe
>>
>>92607608
Hippogriff Kumis
>>
>>92602966
So few things in dnd are actually cute. Women like cute. I want the unicorn pony just to introduce cute stuff.
>>
File: Spelljammer_Silver_044.jpg (433 KB, 1946x1299)
433 KB
433 KB JPG
>>92598668
Bump
>>
This might be a little retarded but is there a consolidated source of info about the changes coming to the PHB in September? I always see people talk about info like it's known quantities but whenever I look into anything it's spread across infinite playtest documents
>>
>>92607966
No, there isn't.
>>
File deleted.
>The first published Dungeons & Dragons scenario was "Temple of the Frog", included in 1975's Blackmoor Dungeons & Dragons rules supplement. This scenario was later developed into the stand-alone module DA2 – Temple of the Frog for the D&D Expert set rules (TSR, 1986).[4][5]
>>
>>92607404
Dragonborn Paladin with the Dragon Hide feat. Wear nothing, wield nothing, own nothing. Spread your ability scores thin between STR, DEX, CON and CHA, dump INT and WIS as a necessity, and play according to your mental ability scores.
>>
File: 1712770752256882.png (91 KB, 689x256)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
>>92608286
>>
Hot take: Elven Accuracy is overrated. It is only good if you're fishing for crits (Sneak Attack, Smite) or with Sharpshooter.
>>
>>92608390
>It is only good if you're fishing for crits (Sneak Attack, Smite) or with Sharpshooter.
No, yea, that's exactly what it was made for. On top of that, also a half feat.
>>
>>92608390
>Elven Accuracy+Sharpshooter

What's the best kind of build for this? Fighter, Ranger, Rogue? And which subclass? Does it matter what kind of Elf you play?
>>
>>92608390
It's overrated but not for this reason. Peak of optimization can't deviate from taking Vuman or CL, 1st level feat is that important. There are some builds that can incorporate it (and like you say combo with Sharpshooter) but it's kinda worse than just having your level 1 and level 4 feats just be CBE and SS

>>92608488
6 Battle Master -> 4 Gloom Stalker -> 3 Assassin, 1 Life Domain dip somewhere in there after Gloom if DM allows Lifeberries. The build after that kind of doesn't matter because you're descending into martial irrelevance and most tables only play in tier 2 and early tier 3 anyways
>>
File: 1700865894815525.png (1.64 MB, 1280x718)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB PNG
>>92608488
Samurai fighter elf. (half elf if you can use customized origins)
>>
>>92608390
it does boost your average damage 20~% if you reliably have advantage
>>
>>92595265
Honestly I solve this problem by doing a sit down with each of them and telling them no if its stupid
>>
File: OIGab.jpg (124 KB, 1024x1024)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
Rolled 18, 18, 15, 9, 13, 9 = 82 (6d20)

This is my Vuman Paladin, what is her feat, background and oath?
>>
>>92608593
mobile feat.
>>
>>92608593
Athlete feat. Urchin. Conquest
>>
>>92608593
Charger, Mercenary Veteran and Vengeance.
>>
>Witch Bolt
>1st-level evocation
>Casting Time: 1 action
>Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a twig from a tree that has been struck by lightning)
Duration: 1 minute
A beam of crackling, blue energy lances out toward a creature within range, forming a sustained arc of lightning between you and the target. Make a ranged spell attack against that creature. On a hit, the target takes 1d12 lightning damage, and on each of your turns for the duration, you can cast Witch bolt at teh same level on the same target without spending a spell slot.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d12 for each slot level above 1st.

Thoughts?
>>
>>92608773
concentration?
the spell seems okay, however i smell some metamagic faggotry afoot
>>
>>92608599
No they aren't, that's the whole problem!
>>
>like for honor
>like lawbringer
>grapple/shove smells good
>gwm
>polearm master
would it ever be worth to add a feat/feature to add damage on prone/grappled targets, or is crit fishing the only relevant option for it?

the design smells of battlemaster, but since it's THE subclass for fighter, i am looking for any other options
>>
>>92609079
Battlerager Barbarogue with Expertise in Athletics
>>
Rate/judge my party, /5eg/.

>High Elf Bladesinger, died, replaced by Custom Lineage Battle Smith, still alive
>Wood Elf Gloomstalker, died, replaced by Orc Tempest Cleric, died, replaced by Dragonborn Vengeance Paladin, still alive
>Goliath Rogue/Totem Warrior, still alive
>Half-Orc Berserker/Fighter, died, replaced by Half-Orc Berserker/Fighter, still alive
>Lizardfolk War Cleric, retired, replaced by Kenku Trickery Cleric, retired, player left campaign
>player replaced by Wood Elf Land Druid, still alive
>>
>>92609079
Grappling and shoving feel pretty bad in 5e, thankfully battlemaster gets things like pushing attack and trip attack for the Ad Mortem Inimicus experience.
>>
>>92609123
seems like it should work
i could see myself sucking off the DM for spear finesse
but i think i'd have to throat for halberd finesse....

>>92609300
yeah they do kinda feel like shit
battlemaster is the premier class, i agree, however when slamming on a prone opponent i want that
>BONG
type of damage, you know?

in any case, it should run plate with a two-hander
aside from the classic +1/2 and defense, is there any way to further increase AC?
20/21 isnt bad, but i wonder how much further it can go
>>
>>92609207
>Half-Orc Berserker/Fighter, died, replaced by Half-Orc Berserker/Fighter, still alive
based
>>
>>92609413
Reflavour a shortsword - it's the same 1d6 piercing. You don't even need Polearm Master since you have the bonus action attack from your subclass.
>>
Ok so after all these years of playing ive only NOW come across a situation where I need to answer this question. A spellcasters Simulacrum being hit with True Polymorph that is being made permanant. Ok how do I do this?

Now you use the targets level to turn into anything of up to equal CR so say turn your Simulacrum into friendly Planatar or Young Gold Dragon treat them well and have them hang around as a Justice buddy. However since Simulacrums get half the HP of the caster could it be argued they could only be Polymorphed into something half the CR too then to limit the game busting potential?
>>
>>92609774
>permanant
Try again.
>>
>>92609835
>If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation becomes permanent.
>>
>>92609774
If you're True Polymorphing a Simulacrum I don't honestly think you have much to be concerned about game busting. If you made the Simulacrum of yourself, you'd be True Polymorphing a duplicate of a 17th level character to something of equivalent 17 or lower CR.

There shouldn't be an interaction between the HP of the Simulacrum and the True Polymorph, however: The resulting permanently transformed simulacrum would have its new form's HP and your halved HP underneath as its normal form.

Also minor spelling mistake.
>>
>>92609671
the dream is
PAM -> bonus attack (bludgeon) -> crusher
i dont get the shortsword reflavour too much, since halberds do 1d10 and reach
battlerager barbarogue is a good idea, but does not quite hit the lawbringer-esque fantasy

however...
Unarmed fighting + crusher work together and the shortsword procs on the grappled/shoved creature
thanks for that, i was looking for ways to implement the centurion
barbarian rager 6/rogue swashbuckler 10/fighter battlemaster 4
a very end-game looking build and probably schizophrenic to boot
thoughts?
>>
>>92610177
To spear, my dude.
>>
>>92610325
yeah but i want big axe stick spear
i get what you mean but yknow
not the same
>>
Shifters are so fucking cool. That is all
>>
>Dueling Sword. This is a slim, single-bladed dueling sword with a slight curve and a sharp, reinforced point.
>Dueling Sword | Martial Melee Weapon |35 gp | 1d8 Slashing or Piercing damage | 3 lb. | Finesse, Shift Grip
>Shift Grip. When you make an attack with this weapon, you choose if the weapon will deal slashing or piercing damage on a hit.
We should have weapons that can change the damage type! BPS aren't all that different mechanically so why not do something similar to Pathfinder 2e's versatile property?
>>
>>92607440
That's one if the best uses of Plasmoid I've ever heard. That's like a fantasy sword version of Swamp Thing.
>>
>>92611153
For that to matter a charter would have to take the slasher feat or face an enemy that has damage resistance to piercing.
Just not many times you would fight an opponent that just has piercing resistance and not just resistance to all non magical damage
>>
>>92611169
I was playing it at the time when ai art was a big thing. So a lot of jokes about multiple fingers and inconstant body parts were made while he swore up and down that he is human
>>
File: r2b7oqrkysa51.jpg (220 KB, 1408x1792)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>92611079
Yes they are pretty cool! I wish they were stronger though. Its hilarious to me that you can publish a species like Shadar-Kai in the exact same book as the Shifter and say "Yeah, the Shifter seems fine compared to that."
>>
File: 1536161321127.jpg (92 KB, 960x960)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>playing CoS
>I have a 3D printer and paint so I make the minis for our adventures
>paint any important NPCs but enemies are left bare resin
>DM sends me a list of what we expect to face about a week in advance
>started out okay, a handful of enemies here and there, "an NPC that looks like X", that kind of thing
>recently it's shit like "40 of this enemy type" or "12 of this, 14 of this and 6 of this", and 3+ important NPCs
>really quiz him on whether we're dealing with this many enemies in a single encounter or whether I only need to print 5 or so that we can reuse
>"no you'll be fighting them all at once"
>get to session
>don't encounter any of the NPCs I painted
>only use like 6 enemies, turns out the only reason we'd be fighting more is if the party is retarded and aggros the entire area
I should never have set this precedent, this fucking sucks
>>
>>92611239
Honestly should have saved the 3D printing and painting for only your own characters and npcs if you DM so you don’t wind up as the DM’s personal print/paint monkey.
>>
>>92611239
charge him for your service.
>>
File: 1696485809363070.png (268 KB, 400x400)
268 KB
268 KB PNG
>>92608932
>>
>>92611153
>>92611183
Piercing, Slashing, and Bludgeoning Damage are all kinda...vestigial design elements. How many monsters have resistances or vulnerabilities to physical damage types? Skeletons?

There should be more-consistent design language as to what resistances monsters have. More things should be resistant to mundane damage types.
>>
>>92611079
Many things from Eberron are cool. Shifter/Changeling/Warforged all are.
>>
>>92611865
It is a really underrated setting. I wish most of the setting guides in 5e took the approach to writing & layout that Last War & Wildemount had. They're basically the only 5e material I enjoy reading like an actual book.
>>
>>92612146
There's a bunch of elements of it that leave me personally cold; like the Draconic Prophecy, the Lords of Dust/Dragon Below stuff, and even lots of the Dragonmarked Houses. And the gnomes; the gnomes feel unnecessary. But other parts of it are exactly my jam.

What Eberron needs is a really punchy published adventure; it's never had a full "adventure path."
>>
>>92611865
I stole their airships for my campaign, it's a neat concept.
>>
>>92611853
>More things should be resistant to mundane damage types
Only if there are also more vulnerabilities, otherwise it's a martial nerf or a carry 3 weapons scenario (still a martial nerf with starting gold)
>>
>>92611853
>>92612811
shit should be applied to mundane armor. Humanoids could be far more diversified if there are just reduced one of BPS by like, 2 but them be slightly vulnerable to another and increase damage by 2
>>
>>92612870
>Humanoids could be far more diversified if there are just reduced one of BPS by like, 2 but them be slightly vulnerable to another and increase damage by 2
Stop trying to reinvent 3.5e
>>
>>92612811
>>92612870
More things having actual vulnerabilities would be far more ideal. Double damage for using the right weapon is great, since it not only rewards weapon choice, but it also helps speed up fights.
>>
>>92590159
Okay fuck it, I'm going full goof and making this cat. He will be fighting using his fists or paws and will be generally agile/acrobatic guy.
Is monk the only way to go and if so, what's the way to build it so it's not crap?
>>
>>92611239
Explain how much time an effort/money it takes to print/paint those pieces. Set a hard limit on what you're willing to do each session or start charging.
>>
>>92613116
unarmed strikes with monk is bait unless you are playing high level mercy
you would be better off being a fighter or barbarian using the unarmed fighting style with the tavern brawler feat so you can attack and grapple to keep enemies from getting to your allies
you could use mechanical fists instead with the armorer artificer that also can defend your allies (with spells like sanctuary to give further incentive to attack you and not your allies)
>>
>>92613116
If you're intent on them being small, agile, and acrobatic, then Monk would be the main way. Most likely Mercy, since it's the best subclass if you're not planning on using a weapon.

Otherwise >>92613203 has it correct in terms of other options. Fighter/Barbarian focused on grappling can work decently well, and Armorer Artificer with the Thunder gauntlets isn't the worst, mostly because you would still get various spells and infusions to help out the party.
>>
>>92613203
How's BM unarmed fighting fighter? Is there a way to increase it to more than d4?
>>
>>92613262
unarmed fighting is 1d8 if you dont use a shield, tavern brawler is so you can grapple with bonus action to let you get that extra 1d4 damage when you grapple enemies
BM is king of fighters so you cant really go wrong
use the maneuvers as extra damage, mini smites when you crit or to help your team with positioning and defences
bait and switch is amazing
trip attack works wonders with grappling since grapple reduces speed to 0 so they cannot stand up so you and your team has advantage, enemies have disadvantage on attacking you
>>
>>92613282
Okay thanks, I'll look into it. I love BM maneuvers
>>
I'm confused. Is it supposed to be "devil" or "baatezu". "Tanar'ri" or "demon".
>>
>>92613116
>Beast barbarian 3, Monk X
>beast claw is a simple melee weapon so it qualifies as a monk weapon - starts at a d6 same as your unarmed strikes as a tabaxi
>attack three times with your monk weapon (claws), then flurry of blows for another two attacks
>patient defense and tail if you want to be hard to hit
For the monk subclass, you can go drunken master or open hand to add on-hit flurry effects.

Alternatively, you could go kensei - your monk weapon and unarmed strikes do the same damage, so agile parry is just free AC, which also stacks with the tail. At kensei 6 your beast claws will also count as magical.
>>
the time has come for my once-a-year-maybe break from running real games for someone else to run 5e for a couple weeks, forcing me to cook up a super special donut steel OC.
usually I just play a fighter but I think this time I will play a sorcerer to really exemplify the super special-ness and steel donuts
I've got my eye on this origin
https://www.5esrd.com/database/classoption/scaled-sorcerer-origin/
any reason why it'd be bad form? what do I gotta know about sorcerer? probably level 4 start, if I had to guess. I choose spells for thematics, so shadow, poison, and snakes are the name of the game
poison spray and acid splash fucking suck though
>>
>>92613555
the subclass sucks
>18th feature to deal 2d4 retaliation damage unless you are attacked by a spell or a weapon then it does NOTHING
wow so amazing
i clapped when i saw that
i think the best you can do is to twin the hold spells to give your martials some free crits but that is the most you could do, and any sorc could do that any way with the core class
>>
>>92613421
Insignia of claws is an uncommon item and makes both your natural weapons (all beast attacks) and unarmed strikes (all monk attacks) a +1 weapon
>>
>>92605578
We're all big titty fat chicks.
>>
File: IMG_8572.jpg (500 KB, 1080x1410)
500 KB
500 KB JPG
>>92592226
I’m 23 and think 1e is the best edition.
>>
>>92605578
no but we have a token hippie white girl with dreads playing a wood elf druid

she's actually cool though
>>
>>92605578
Yeah and two scrawny enbies
>>
>>92613341
>Is it supposed to be “human” or “homo sapiens”?
>>
>>92605578
Yes.
>>92613203
How does Unarmed Fighting style Fighter overcome physical damage resistance mobs?
>>
>>92614906
>How does Unarmed Fighting style Fighter overcome physical damage resistance mobs?
Hoping the DM is nice enough to hand out some magic item that works for punches.
Otherwise, via grappling/shoving. Or at least keeping a magical dagger/shortsword/etc. as backup.
>>
Culturally accurate Elf longbow archer with Elven Accuracy and Sharpshooter. Fighter, Ranger, or something else? Which subrace/subclass?
>>
>>92615180
Samurai X gloomstalker 3. Both scale off dex and wis, wood elf for the stats and speed.
>>
>>92615282
shit build
>>
>>92615325
Nah, you daft cunt. Dread ambusher stacks with action surge so you're making 6 attacks with sharpshooter and triple advantage on the first turn of combat as soon as you get both feats, if you miss with any of those attacks you're a failure and should neck yourself so it's 6d8+6xDex+60 damage.

You're a shit build, you fat fuck.
>>
builds were a mistake
but so was not having any fucking rules for anything else
>>
>>92615429
shit build, you suck at this game
>>
how do i beat it into my players that their characters are more than a pile of numbers? i was getting some attitude about how one half of the table is getting all the stand-out moments but theyre working through their arcs and naturally get some perks to go along with it. i cant do jack shit with a guy whos entire personality is "i want bigger numbers". and i get that everyone plays the game for different reasons but its really starting to bother me since its creating a gap within the group. nobody gives a shit about interacting with the two most fleshed-out guys since theres no tangible reward for doing so and i can tell its pissing them off a bit
>>
>>92615441
K. Since you didn't disagree, you're still built like shit, you fat fuck.
>>
File: bleurgh.png (189 KB, 546x517)
189 KB
189 KB PNG
>going through their arcs
>>
>>92615512
>give characters things to do in the world
>things naturally change as a result of their actions
>"what the fuck why is this character different than how he started"
so sorry for wanting some ROLE PLAY in my ROLE PLAYING game
>>
>>92615471
>>92615535
>I reward these players based off how much they suck me off
>I demand theatre kid bullshit to remain entertained
Very cool
>>
>>92615558
You'd have me believe people play D&D 5th edition for combat solely right after you convince me pigs fly
>>
>>92615558
im not even sucking them off, they just happen to be the ones most involved. im trying to figure out how i can get the other half of the table to a similar level of engagement since it feels like they hardly care about whats going on if it doesnt directly improve their numbers. one of the guys has been in the game group with the same characters for nearly 2 years now and he cant even reliably recall what classes other people are playing
>>
>>92615482
Still? You never said I was to begin with. Shit build, you suck, git gud nogames.
>>
Half-Elf Lore Bard (Noble)
>>
about to run hex crawl for first time
should the players see the whole map?
im not talking about seeing what's on each hex, but about knowing basically the type of terrain of every hex (ie the mountains are 10 squares in this direction)
or should there be a fog of war where they only see a couple hexes around them?
what makes more sense in terms of gameplay? in terms of in universe justification the difference would be do they have a map or not
>>
>>92607808
is spelljammer just standard d&d but in a different setting?
>>
>>92616061
D&D system, but it takes place throughout the cosmic realm that lies between worlds.

A Spelljammer is a ship powered by magic that flies between the spheres that worlds are located in.
>>
>>92615949
They should have access to a generalized glimpse of the next hex's major features on the horizon and can have a large/abstract map of the entire area with potential landmarks if you want them to make objectives.
>should there be a fog of war where they only see a couple hexes around them
Only if there's something that would reasonably obscure foresight, like an obstruction, dense foliage, heavy rain, or yes, fog or mist can obscure as well.
>>
Is Thief a good Subclass?
>>
>>92616532
It’s good if you can make use of second-story work frequently.
It’s weak but you can use the subclass with a sniper build you can make it work
>>
>>92616532
Thief should have been part of the rogue base class
>>
>>92616532
Fast Hands is extremely fucking good for a hysterically long list of reasons.
>>
File: Thief cucked.png (30 KB, 1123x140)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>>92616532
If your DM ignores the bullshit ruling on page 141 of the DMG it's great. Otherwise, it's just okay. Doesn't get any standout features until 13, and most games are almost over by then.
>>
>>92614906
you can ask for a +0 insignia of the claws just to make them ignore damage resistance, i doubt any dm would say no
since you are giving up damage to be a grappler and help your team, i would let it be a +1 if i was dming for you
>>
>>92614906
Chop off your arms and ask your local artificer for magical replacements
>>
>>92617844
it is in the magic item section so it is only related to magic items with charges (which i still find idiotic since thieves at later levels can use spellcaster magic items) so you can still use healers kit sith that bonus action
it is just like there isnt a rule that you can only cast one leveled spell per turn, it only happens when you cast a spell with a bonus action
>>
File: jpm.gif (956 KB, 200x150)
956 KB
956 KB GIF
>>92605578
Nah, got a skinny, perky-tits chick instead.
She's married to someone outside the group but comes every day showing cleavage.
I wish she wouldn't dress like that, honestly, I get my daily dose of female assets at the gym and don't like my inability to keep my eyes from drifting to her tits all the time.
>>
>>92618033
It applies to all magic items, not just ones with charges. Potions of healing, for example, can't be used with a bonus action because those are magic items. You definitely want to carry a healer's kit as a thief rogue, there's no reason not to, but very often you're better off letting the cleric healing word someone up. It's a ranged option and does more than just stabilize, where healer's kits require a feat investment to accomplish that plus you'll likely be moving to melee to do it.

It's a fairly bad feature overall, which is a shame because it breaks nothing to simply let them use magic items with that feature. I have no idea why they chose to disallow that in the FUCKING DMG, something rogue players wouldn't be reading when considering what their feature does.

The subclass works fine at high levels, UMD is in my opinion the second best subclass feature rogues can get (the first being Psychic Whispers, Rary's Telepathic Bond is an insta-pick 5th level spell and Soulknife gets a lightly nerfed version of that shit at level 3??), plus Thief's Reflexes is a banger capstone.
>>
>>92614906
>How does Unarmed Fighting style Fighter overcome physical damage resistance mobs?
Wraps of Unarmed Prowess, basically the same way that any other Fighter needs to get a magical weapon to overcome that- you need wraps or the claw insignia to overcome that.
>>
>>92616532
i´m currently playing a thief and its the best time i ever had. climbspeed is great if you are playing a ranged rogue. also i have alchemist tools and throw bottles of oil at enemies (our DM gives us the option of decreasing a stat by 2 and picking a half feat without the +1 ability score, so i got tavern brawler for bottle accuracy)
we´re only lvl 7 but i already did so much crazy shit with fast hands. we were fighting rats and goblins and were completely outnumbered. managed to get the attention of a rat and lured it towards some stalagmites in the cave, then fast hands-sleight of hand checked manacles on the rats feet binding it to a stalagmite.
also caltrops and the healer feat (picking that up next level) are great.
at level 13 you basically become a pay-to-win class depending on the spell scrolls that pop up in stores. your spell save DC is beyond dogshit, but buff spells like guardian of nature or tensers transformation would be insane on a rogue.
>>
Has anyone come up with unique spell effects that aren't in the books? More than just more damage, but things that effect the game differently. Doesn't have to be combat oriented.

I'm trying to create a few new spells for players
>>
which should stay and which should go?

>ability scores (as opposed to just having ability modifiers with no scores attached)
>designated ability scores for skills

you can only ditch 1
>>
>>92618394
Skills with different abilities are already in the rulebook, dumbass.
>>
Gonna ask my players who elect to drink a nasty beverage in the name of Tyr to make a Constitution (Religion) check to receive a blessing from it.
>>
There's a certain je ne sais quoi to odd ability scores. A stat block with 12/13/13/12/13/12 just has soul in a way that +1/+1/+1/+1/+1/+1 doesn't. I just with they offered some actual benefit beyond meeting score requirements.
>>
>>92605578
Nah what we got is

>A short girl who's dating the DM
>Another who's a memer but isn't as bad as that sounds
>And a girl all the way in Australia who's availablity is sometimes questioned because the rest of us are Mutts playing during the night and she's either still sleeping or at work

There was a brief moment where the Party questioned whether or not to pick me or her to replace a member that got kicked out and I still think that was off. They brought her back on anyway since she had a guest character. She's good company though
>>
>>92618531
More feats with odd ability score prerequisites. Needing 15 or 17 in a stat requires a degree of commitment.
>>
>>92618279
Thief is already pay-to-win starting at level 3 since acid and alchemist fire works with fast hands. And the explosives in the dmg if your dm lets you get your fast hands on those for some reason.
>>
>>92618718
>Thief is already pay-to-win
The irony of this statement is staggering
>>
>>92618718
>Thief is already pay-to-win starting at level 3 since acid and alchemist fire works with fast hands.
Anon my brother, please just steady aim. It's so much better than either of those things.
>>
>>92618838
nta, but alchemist fire is pretty underrated with a thief.

>BA light a cunt on fire
>nesxt turn BA toss oil in their square (not at them)
>easy 1d4+5 fire damage/round

but they can just put it out with an action!
>enemy uses thow whole action to remove the fire that you started with just a bonus action

That's already an action economy win.
>>
What is the city of Waterdeep like? Not asking if you like it, just a few TLDR bullet points about the city itself would be nice so I know if it's what I'm looking for and if it makes sense to yoink from it
>>
File: apu-noting.gif (28 KB, 128x84)
28 KB
28 KB GIF
>>92618872
4th level rogue, theif has Tavern Brawler, steady aimer has dex ASI and is using a shortbow. I will presume that the alchemist fire attack roll is made with dex, which seems obvious, but somehow isn't stated in the book anywhere as improvised weapons aren't technically ranged or melee weapons (good job wotc). I am treating the target as having an AC of 14 based on the quick monster stat in the DMG.
>Round one
Steady aim: Raises expected damage from 9.43 to 12.76, a net increase of 3.33 (note that if no ally was in melee range of target, that changes the basic expected damage to 4.88, making the increase 7.88).
Alchemist flask: 1.5 expected damage
>Round two
Steady aim: Another 3.33, bringing the total to 6.67
Flask/oil: If the first flask missed, then it's another 1.5. If it didn't, then it's 4 damage on average (note that I am treating a square's AC as 10, the rules do not provide for throwing it on the ground, only pouring it out, but I feel this is reasonable). The target is on fire from the previous round 60% of the time, so we'll take 60% of 4 and 40% of 1.5, giving us 3 and bringing our total up to 4.5.
>Round 3
Steady aim is up to 10.
Alchemist fire guy's target is successfully lit 36% of the time, meaning we have a 36% chance of finally using steady aim while getting 5 damage of free real estate. That's 3 damage baby woooo! The other 64% of the time, you're doing that same breakdown as last round, where either it hit or it didn't. So that's 64% of 3, or 1.92. 4.92 is your gain for this round taking the grand total up to 9.42.

In short, even after 3 rounds of combat, of the creature simply standing in the fire, with as little sneak attack damage as possible, with an ally in melee range the entire time, and with the shooty guy not taking CBE over an ASI and just shooting twice, you would STILL need another, fourth round for alchemist fire to be worth it.
>>
>>92619318
NTA but that is way closer than what I was expecting
>>
>>92618838
>>92619318
Optional feature.
>>
Seeing as one dnd is taking front and stage and the next few books after will just be releasing old subclasses the chances of me getting an offical extra attack sorc is near 0.
Any decent homebrew out there I should look at?
I just want extra attack at level 6 on a sorc. Rest of the features can be ribbons for all I care.
>>
>>92611199
Nta but I kind of want to steal this if I ever play a hexblade. Would it make sense if it was like a gelatinous cube that swallowed an adventurer and their sentient sword and then fused?
>>
>>92605578
I wish but there’s one running a game in a local store I have my eye on.
I have a real problem for slightly chubby chicks. Willing to risk it all everytime. Real lucky I haven’t been caught yet.
>>
>>92620163
>willing to risk it all, havent been caught
do you want to fuck them or kill them
>>
>>92618264
There's that one tattoo from Tasha's too.
>>
>>92618838
our party has a bard, always casts fearie fire on the large enemies.
i usually roll first on initiative and just shoot with crossbow/steady aim at whatever is in range. once fearie fire is up i start tossing oil flasks. i got 3 alch fires on me right now, but we never had a fight worth the use so far. but a boss battle is coming up, the giant queen will eat one of those.
>>
Can you take actions—like attacking—while moving, or do you have to "end your move"?
>>
>>92620746
Technically, you have to stop before taking an action. 5e also lets you break up your movement though, so you can just move again like you never stopped.
>>
>>92620775
OK ty
>>
File: IMG_2449.jpg (70 KB, 1100x499)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
Now that the dust has settled was it a humiliation ritual?
>>
>>92620957
Stupid book for stupid people.
>>
my next character will be a wizard that hates that he's good with magic and will use the most mundane and simple magic to solve issues
he was born in a loving martial family who supported him even if he sucks at martial education
he will be a fan of knights and soldiers
>>
>>92620957
This is what happens if you stop taking steroids
>>
File: what.gif (760 KB, 250x251)
760 KB
760 KB GIF
So how does the "Use An Object" action figure into the system? I'm trying to use a house rule to adjust a few things (Drawing/holstering weapons is free, BA Potions, throw things as part of Extra Attack, etc.), but it's becoming apparent to me that even after almost a decade of playing, the rules around what does or doesn't trigger that is clear as mud to me.

For instance, throwing weapons. Technically with thrown weapons, you'd have to pull them out, right? So if a Fighter has a sword n' board out and wants to throw two javelins on Extra Attack, they'd have to holster the sword and draw the javelins. It's unclear to me if they can just get pulled as part of the attack. What's more, if you could do that to toss one javelin, then pull the sword back out to do your second attack. RAW, does not look like you can, and you'd have to drop the sword/etc. to even try.

Basically, what are some odd quirks of the "free object interactions" and the like that you've run into, and how does it work RAW in ways that make less sense?
>>
>>92620957
Minotaur went from a hulking mass of brute muscle to the guy with a pinchet for pre-teen girls who's trying to start a cult
>>
>>92621598
What trips people up is conflating 'Use an Object' as an action, with the 'object interaction'.
The former is an Action for doing something like drinking a potion, for instance.

The latter can be done as part of your movement or action, like opening a door as you move, or drawing a sword as you attack with it. The second one there is explicitly given as an example on page 190. Taking out a potion is also listed as an example, so you can draw and drink a potion in the same turn.
The key is that you only get one free object interaction per round, so interacting with anything else needs an action. That does lead to the case where RAW, you can't really draw a sword while opening a door and still have an action free to attack someone.
It also tends to screw over characters with shields or reliant on thrown weapons for the reasons you noted. But in some ways it does also make a degree of sense to limit how much a character can juggle their inventory in a single round.
>>
>>92622366
Drinking a potion is not the "Use an Object" action, unless the potion is nonmagical.
>>
>>92621598
Okay, so here's how I understand it between the PHB, DMG and Crawford shouting from the rooftop. There are two actions that need to be understood for "Use an Object" to make sense: "Activating an Item" and the aformentioned "Use An Object".

Before that, background: The 'Free Item Interaction' and 'Dropping': On your turn a character can do something with an item without it costing them an action or a bonus action. This includes drawing a weapon, opening a door and passing an item to another character as listed examples (the last example being important because it's worth noting that it does not take the a character's free item interaction to receive an item passed to them). Additionally, dropping a held item (including shields, weapons, potions, etc) is neither an action nor does it require a free item interaction; if you can drop it to free your hands you can simply do so automatically. Anything beyond these requires an action. Here are some examples:

A fighter can draw their longsword as part of their turn to attack with it (free item interaction, action). On the next turn they can stow their longsword (free item interaction) and draw a bow (action), but then not be free to attack with it. On their next turn they can drop their bow (dropping), draw their longsword (free item interaction) and attack with it. On the next turn they can pick up their bow in their off hand (free item interaction) and attack with their longsword (one-handed, as their off hand is occupied and they cannot benefit from the Versatile feature). Finally, on the next turn they can drop everything (Dropping), draw one javelin and throw it (Free item interaction, action)-- to draw two javelins to throw two with the Extra Attack feature, they would need the Dual Wielder feat to draw both or have one in hand already on their turn.
>>
>>92622497
Now with that out of the way: Magical Items use "Activating an Item" rules, which is explicitly not an Item interaction (and cannot thus be done for free) and also explicitly not "Use an Object) (and thus cannot be done as a bonus action with Thief's Fast Hands for example).

Notable: The fact you cannot Activate an Item for free or as a bonus action these ways does not mean that those actions cannot be taken with the Items: You can still pass them, pick them up, drop them or treat them like any other object so long as you are not using their action-triggered magical function. This means that while Fast Hands cannot be used to drink a potion under RAW, it can be used to pass it to another character to drink themselves, or you could hand it to another character as a free item interaction, though they must "Activate an Item" in order to drink it themselves. For the most robust example, a Thief Rogue can draw a potion from their pack (free item interaction), drink that potion (Activating an Item as an action), draw a second potion from their pack (Fast hands bonus action) and drop that potion (dropping), leaving it for another character to pick up and use on their turn.

To summarize:
Magical Items are not used with the "Use an Object" action.
Mundane items and most environmental items (levers, doors, etc) use "Use an Object", as do items when they are being treated as objects (Magical potions for example may be picked up, stowed, passed, etc as free item interactions, but they must be Activated as an action)

On their turn any character can thus do the following item behaviors:
- Use an Object as their free item interaction; Generally stowing, drawing, picking up or passing items, throwing levers or switches, opening or shutting doors
- Use their Action to Use an Object or Activate an Item
- Drop any number of items held into their space
- Use Fast Hands (if a Thief Rogue) to Use an Object
>>
>>92622631
Uh. Sorry my bad-- I have a headcold that's making proofreading difficult. The free item interaction isn't "Use an Object" in the last bit. I've got a bit of a headcold. Throwing a pot of oil or spreading marbles or caltrops wouldn't qualify for example.
>>
File: Mental gymnastics.png (365 KB, 1280x1280)
365 KB
365 KB PNG
>>92622366
That's actually very helpful, anon, thank you. That mostly clears it up. The problem is it's simple until it's not; just like you said, it lists drawing a sword as part of an attack, yet then the Dual Wielder feat specifically lets them draw two, some thrown weapons would allow it but then there's thrown weapon style, etc. etc.

It's generally rational, but that gets a bit too nitty gritty and wasteful of actions, and I'd rather people be able to switch and use options than get locked in and waste turns. Which is one thing in terms of economy, but I also don't want ten minute turns where people decide a course of action, explain it, go "wait shit" and then have to discuss it for five minutes because they can't draw and fire a bow or whatever. I think they even adjusted some of that in 5.5 but it's a nightmare digging for anything like that in the playtests.

>>92622497
>>92622631
>>92622701
Thank you, anon. That's also a very helpful breakdown, and makes me feel less stupid for even asking, because clearly it's a little more complex than simply stated. Especially that Fighter paragraph, Christ. That's stupid. Putting away a shield safely vs. dropping it makes sense considering it's an armor doff RAW, but that dance of bullshit is pointless, really.

For the magic items as well, "activating" makes sense as needed, but using that for magic potions as well, and disallowing it for Thieves (As discussed earlier in thread) is just silly. Not that I expect anyone to play one, but shit, simple fix.

As such, I think limiting things makes sense, and I'll try to keep RAW, but drawing/holstering weapons/foci will be free within reason and draw/throw for thrown weapons will be acceptable. Maybe allow people with Extra Attack to replace one of them with an object interaction if necessary. They can already do it with shoves/grapples and technically throwing stuff.

I see no issue there unless someone has other input or experience on the matter.
>>
Why are there permanent injuries/disabilities in a world with wandering clerics? I want to justify a pyromaniac who is a full burn victim but it seems like the kind of thing anybody could reasonably heal
>>
>>92623008
They can't be everywhere. But if it bothers you, have your players encounter an NPC who tells them a story about how they were miraculously healed by a druid or whatever.
>>
>>92623008
>>92623099
Regenerate is a 7th level spell while Raise Dead is 5th so you're actually more likely to meet someone who was brought back to life than had a limb restored.
>>
>>92622984
There is a small correction here >>92622480 with me using potions as an example. Caltrops would be a more clear-cut one. Though I oversimplified the explanation of Use an Object since I figured the question was more about drawing/sheathing items.

That other anon broke it down far better in terms of RAW, but generally speaking being too strict with RAW can be a mess. As long as people aren't intentionally trying to abuse it, it tends to be fine.
'Within reason' is how I usually run it and I've never really run into any issues. Just be sure to encourage people to plan out their turns ahead of time.
>>
>>92623008
Depends on the injury. According to the Lingering Injury rules themselves, something like a scar needs the 6th level Heal spell or better in order to get cured of it, which is far more niche than any mere wandering Cleric.
Oddly enough broken bones are easier to heal than scars.
>>
>>92623148
>Oddly enough broken bones are easier to heal than scars.
Scars are a healed wound. You're basically having to reverse time to before the injury. While a broken bone is an active injured state.
>>
File: 1641580140547.jpg (61 KB, 736x1041)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Okay lads, my Zealot Barbarian cut off his hand to close the portal to literal 9 Hells. Time to retire him?
>>
>>92623845
>Time to retire him?
Does that sound like something a Zealot would do?
>>
I have given a boss monster Major Image as a lair action. What can I do with this? I thought I'd feign death later in the fight to regenerate its breath weapon, or creating false hazards to cluster players up for the same.
>>
>>92621071
wizards are learners though. like, they fucking choose that path. doesnt really match.
otherwise i also hate the idea.
>>
>>92624009
You're right
>>
All drama aside, what do the people here think Wizards of the Coast should be doing differently? To narrow the band, what written products should they be releasing?

When I look back at 3.5 era, there was so much more stuff being put out by Wizards, and by Paizo. If Wizards is already trying to introduce some sort of sinister subscription model, where the fuck are the monthly magazines? Paizo managed to make two issues a month back in the day, full of stuff that at least had art and didn't make your eyes bleed. Now that the game is way more popular than it was before, played by so many more people, with such a huge and diverse talent pool, why is their output so anemic?

I know that a lot of the 3.5 DM-focused books didn't sell, and Wizards decided there was more money to be made selling to players rather than DMs, since there's more of them. I know that DMs guild kinda serves some of this function, but...eh, it's just not the same.

It just seems so odd that WotC seems to be a skeleton crew that can't even find freelancers to write softcover books.
>>
File: 1652900680692.png (554 KB, 960x468)
554 KB
554 KB PNG
>>92620957
>>
>>92623845
kill zealot, use mending to put hand back (unless hand was cursed) on corpse, revivify without diamond cost
ez
>>
New thread:

>>92624780
>>92624780
>>92624780
>>
>>92621989
>pinchet
Do you mean penchant?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.