[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

would a dice combination "scale" like this, feel correct/balanced? im trying to make a game where, depending on the weapon, its what dice you roll to damage an opponent, and im trying to see wether a +1 or going up a "level" on this scale, would be the way to go on upgrades

Weak: 1d4 - The mean result is 2.5 (average of 1 to 4).
Slightly Better: 1d6 - The mean result is 3.5 (average of 1 to 6).
Good: 1d8 - The mean result is 4.5 (average of 1 to 8).
Better: 2d4 - The mean result is 5 (average of 2 to 8).
Strong: 1d10 - The mean result is 5.5 (average of 1 to 10).
Very Strong: 1d12 - The mean result is 6.5 (average of 1 to 12).
Mighty: 2d6 - The mean result is 7 (average of 2 to 12).
Potent: 3d4 - The mean result is 7.5 (average of 3 to 12).
Formidable: 2d8 - The mean result is 9 (average of 2 to 16).
Overwhelming: 1d20 - The mean result is 10.5 (average of 1 to 20).
Epic: 2d10 - The mean result is 11 (average of 2 to 20).
thanks btw, pic related
>>
>>92598287
Doesn't work on a scale from better to worse.
It doesn't make sense that a weapon/ability would upgrade and be able to do less damage.

If you need more nuance consider 2dx
2d4
1d4+1d6
2d6
1d6+1d8
so on
>>
>>92598287
Yeah, you shouldn't roll fewer dice as you go up in supposed power.
You can add these kinds of 1d12 for specific weapons that are supposed to be more swingy and less consistent, but with potentially more damage.
I'd skip xd4 altogether or maybe use it just for improvised weapons (grabbing random stuff to hit with).
>>
>I want ALL THE DICE
This feels like a toddler had to come up with a system and wanted to add every toy he owned into it.
>>
Some people like bellcurves, some people like uniform random chance. Adding more dice creates more of a bellcurve, using less dice creates more of a uniform random chance. Adding more dice also results in a lower minimum roll which might be strictly superior than the higher average for some characters (depending on the game). These averages also don't go up in a remotely consistent way. 1, 1, 0.5, 0.5, 1, 0.5, 0.5, 1.5, 1.5, 0.5...

IMO in general, you want to keep either the number of dice consistent or the kind of dice. I'd say that >>92598458 has a perfectly good solution. Only use the dice from D4 to D12. To find the mean result just add the two numbers together and divide by 2 and add 1.
>>
>>92598287
This doesn't feel correct at all, because you're fixated on averages instead of looking at the probabilities themselves.
It also doesn't feel correct because the damage is being outright decided by the dice instead of being modified by the dice and factors relating to the weapon used vs target's properties.
>>
>>92598287
Single dice don't have means. They have flat probability. Savage Worlds and the Renegade20 system both use increased dice "size" as a form of power escalation, so look into those if you want to see some published products that use this idea.
>>
>>92600199
>Single dice don't have means
what
>>
>>92598287
>Very Strong: 1d12 - The mean result is 6.5 (average of 1 to 12).
>Mighty: 2d6 - The mean result is 7 (average of 2 to 12).
>Potent: 3d4 - The mean result is 7.5 (average of 3 to 12).
You're messing up big time there. Your damage range is about the same, the maximum damage stays the same, but the chances of dealing high damage are shrinking drastically.
Your chances to roll a 12 are 1/12 on a d12, 1/36 on 2d6, and 1/64 on 3d4. Your chances to roll an 11+ are 16.6%, 8.3% and 6.2% respectively. Your chances to roll a 10+ are 25%, 16.6% and 15.6%. So sure, you're less likely to whiff, but you've a mirrored lower chance to roll well and that is not an improvement, especially if you play a game with damage reduction mechanics.

If you want a sensible progression go d4 - d6 - d8 - d10 - d12 -2d8 - d20 - 2d12, where each step is a net improvement.
>>
>>92600217
Single dice aren't datasets. They generate exactly one number at a time. With a single die you have an equal chance of rolling any number on the die.
>>
>>92598287
"Help on"?
>>
>>92598458
thats actually a better way to shape it, but what would happen in case i have, say, a 3 shot pepper box, i was planning on making them roll 3d4, how would i fit that in that "scale"?
>>92598569
right, in that case, houw would you balance a multi hit weapon?, not multi ple attacks, but one that in one attack deals little bits of damage?
>>92598610
that.... seems oddly close to what i thought, maybe i AM autistic
>>92599233
his solution does feel like the closest to what i intended, but i still have the problem of where do extra dice come in, like, again, 3d4 for example
>>92600006
in this case, im trying to make the attack always connect, but the "ferocity" of the attack being decided by chance so you'd calculate an average of how much damage you're most likely to do consistedly and plan accordingly, now ups or downs thats what would keep it a bit luck based on that matter
>>92600199
i will check on those, thanks, also, i was never really good at understanding probability, so i appreciate the help, really
>>92600333
how do i calculate that 2d8 is better than 2d12? for the highest possible roll?
>>92601480
on seeing if that scale makes sense, bar a few games, i dont have the experience to reliably make a dice damage scale feel fluid or balanced, so im asking help from your more experienced criteria
>>
>>92602091
>right, in that case, houw would you balance a multi hit weapon?, not multi ple attacks, but one that in one attack deals little bits of damage?
Do you use damage reduction? In that case I'd take the smallest die and see how it stacks up.
Well, in this case you might want to use 1d4 afterall.
Or maybe do something size-based and such a weapon causes damage one tier lower than the usual weapons of that size-category.
>>
Use the dice with most sides first, then each time the player chooses to reroll they have to use a dice with less faces
>>
>>92603398
Not OP, but I'm stealing that idea.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.