[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Fucking card gamering.jpg (12 KB, 225x225)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
Want to give my players a Deck of Many Things since it's their first campaign and they are eager to get the "Full dungeons and dragons experience"

Problem is I know they'll die the moment they draw a card. Anyone got a less damning homebrew?
>>
>>92598541
Sure, a Deck containing only 22 Fool cards.No checking the deck before drawing.

Fool: You lose 10,000 XP, discard this card, and draw from the deck again, counting both draws as one of your declared draws. If losing that much XP would cause you to lose a level, you instead lose an amount that leaves you with just enough XP to keep your level.
>>
>>92598541
>Problem is I know they'll die the moment they draw a card.
Skill issue.

>Anyone got a less damning homebrew?
Just chill them out. Permanent intelligence loss becomes intelligence loss until Remove Curse. Defeat Dread Wraith or be destroyed forever becomes defeat [difficult but level appropriate encounter]. And the the good ones down a bit too I guess.
>>
>>92598541
>they'll die the moment they draw a card

The chance of instant death is part of the "Full dungeons and dragons experience".
>>
>>92598541
>Anyone got a less damning homebrew?
You do.
Because you're supposed to rewrite what you don't like.
What, do you need a book or something someone else wrote to hold your hand?
>>
>>92598541
The homebrew that would make the deck less dangerous ruins the point of the deck. It's supposed to be a gamble that either destroys a character or elevates them with very little middle ground.
If the results are all positive and only mildly negative, then the players are just going to draw from it even more in order to get the good stuff. If the results are just all mildly negative and a few minor positives then there's no reason to bother with it at all.

If there isn't a chance to gain random wishes or levels or end up dead or cursed, it's not the experience of a Deck of Many Things from D&D (TM) anymore.
>>
>>92598541
You're obviously running 5e, it's D&D in name only so who do you think you're fooling with the "full dungeons and dragons experience" crap?
>>
>>92598541
Just use the deck normaly. The fun comes from the chance of failure and the plot derailment

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.