[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I want to take a (non-sexual) high fantasy setting but not do it with typical knights and chicken wings framework usually present but instead within a 16th to 17th century framework with Muskets and Flintlocks. Set in a new land being colonized by various kingdoms ala Colonial America but also within a high age of piracy as well
What are some ways to flesh out this concept and pitfalls to avoid so that I'm just doing a "Elves and Dwarves and Dragons but with Powdered Wigs and guns" or is that even a bad thing to do in the first place?

The idea is to have players be new immigrants to the new world and eventually settle on a nice plot of land. Eventually people they help will settle and they'll have built a nice town and community that gives them benefits via crafting,goods and services. It's heavily inspired by the Homestead missions from Assassins Creed 3 but also don't want it to turn into a town simulation game as the town building aspects would be hands off
>>
>>92600168
>I want to take a (non-sexual) high fantasy setting but not do it with typical knights and chicken wings framework usually present but instead within a 16th to 17th century framework with Muskets and Flintlocks. Set in a new land being colonized by various kingdoms ala Colonial America but also within a high age of piracy as well
Better to go 17th to 18th century, it's after the Renaissance and covers the Golden Age of Piracy.
>What are some ways to flesh out this concept and pitfalls to avoid so that I'm just doing a "Elves and Dwarves and Dragons but with Powdered Wigs and guns" or is that even a bad thing to do in the first place?
Don't include Elves or Dwarves or Dragons, invent your own fantasy races that best exploit the environments you want to use.
>The idea is to have players be new immigrants to the new world and eventually settle on a nice plot of land.
Right, you can't really do Piracy and Pilgrims. If you've got piracy, it's because trade routes exist, meaning settlements exist already. If you're going for new frontier, you need to move the exploration part back from the coasts to be more like a Gold Rush sort of thing, but by then piracy has largely gone because nations are invested in claiming the new land and its resources, so navies rule the seas.

I suggest you do some research into our own world's history before you try to create a new setting, otherwise you'll miss the important aspects.
>>
>>
>>92600168
can't you just do eberron, jump the starting point a generation or three and do a xen'drik colonization thing, with the embers from the last war mostly cold and inert
>>
>>92601248
Eberron still has a mostly knights and kings aethestic
>>
>>92601248
Eberron still has a mostly knights and kings framework
>>
>>92601250
>>92601258
that's why you jump a few years and turn up dragonmarked house fuckery to the max
ubiquitous war-wands and staffs looking like flintlocks and muskets, they already have galleons there so you don't need to fiddle with that
i'm pretty sure the 16th and 17th century were the rise of the plate armored knight, but if you don't want that in, say it's too bulky to go around with that in the jungle, maybe ante up half-plates and turn everyone into magic conquistadors
>>
>>92600168
Colonial America is a heavily underrated setting. Assassins Creed 3 has a pretty ass plot, but I have a huge soft-spot for the setting.

Anyway high-age of piracy is pretty easy to do. Blackbeard was retired and then later hunted down in South Carolina, and the myth of pirates burying their treasure started after a pirate was caught in New York and tried to bribe the judge with his buried treasure (3 of 5 pieces having been found). I think there was also a war that the Coast Guard fought against pirates not long after the revolution.

Anyway you could do stuff with the Salem Witches, or the Masons building secret tunnels in the city and planting hidden messages and puzzles in the architecture, revolutionaries trying to spread ideas of the enlightenment and organizing for said Revolution, different colonial nations playing their great game and vying for land, natives acting as hunters, mercenaries, models for democracy and so on.
>>
>>
>>92600168
>knights and chicken wings framework
The fuck?
>>
Hessian Orcs.
>>
>What are some ways to flesh out this concept and pitfalls to avoid so that I'm just doing a "Elves and Dwarves and Dragons but with Powdered Wigs and guns" or is that even a bad thing to do in the first place?

No, it's not a bad thing. I was a big fan of high fantasy of Tolkien but also liked swashbuckler movies and books, especially set in XVII Polish Commonwealth (winged hussars etc.). For some reason I couldn't marry both genres for there's no guns in Tolkien universe - but one day I woke up and said to myself: why the hell not? Will my elves or dwarfs somehow loose charm if instead of meieval knight there will be a winged hussar or reiter? And the answer was - fuck not. XVI-XVII century era was a nice blend of modernity an chivalry, religion and progress, superstition and enlightenment. Perfect setting for elves, dwarves, dragons, witches, magic and everything in between.
>>
>>92600237
>Right, you can't really do Piracy and Pilgrims.
There was substantial sea trade between the Caribbean & Europe at the time the English were settling North America. Piracy was happening, even if it wasn't Johnny Depp level.

>>92600168
Your picture is from the Iron Kingdoms RPG, which has been adapted to 5E. Use it.
>>
So, what exactly rubs you wrong about the 7th Sea?
>>
>>92610745
my players want to stick with Pathfinder 2e (as do i) and the system already has a workable framework to do such a setting
>>
>>92600168
What? Is this a bar and grill run by knights or something? The Medieval Times of Buffalo Wild Wings?
>>
>>92610965
>He doesn't know about Merlins secret wing sauce
>>
File: 486.jpg (52 KB, 425x680)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>92611048
I'm only familiar with WIZARD BEER, you'd be correct. I thought wing sauce was the realm of warlocks and profane alchemists
>>
>>92600168
This is like the 8th thread I've seen where the OP feels like a AI prompt gone wrong.
The fuck is going on?
>>
>>92611224
show me the other 7
>>
>>92610965
>>92611048
>>92611213
I'd play a Swords n Saucery game.
>>
>>92600168
>(non-sexual)
Kind of weird that you would need to specify this...
>>
>>92600168
Wait why did you have to specify non-sexual?
>>
>>92611548
>>92611601
because you fucks are always horny
>>
>>92600168
>non sexual
>knights and chickens wings

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.