[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 18541.png (863 KB, 711x426)
863 KB
863 KB PNG
>5e
>4 PCs at level 7, one at level 9, multiple assorted friendly NPCs at a similar level with one archmage able to cast at 7th level that can either assist or not assist

Would having them face against a CR 23 beholder hive mother and 4 mindwitnesses be serious overkill? I'm using the stat blocks from a plebbit post (Complete Beholders: 14 variants)

Also, does anybody have any ideas for this? It's supposed to be a true and hard boss fight, where surviving is based on how they play. They have several advantages + magic items, but I still think it might be too much.
>>
a few of the eye rays on the Hive Mother have pretty strong potential to one shot level 7 PCs depending on how they are built, combined with the layers of crowd control from 4 mindwitnesses the encounter seems like it would very likely turn into a really frustrating TPK with minimal chance for counterplay from the players, especially when they need to burn through roughly 1000 hp. the high level archmage throwing some powerful INT/WIS/CHA save or suck spell at a mindwitness with the psychic tether cones lined up right on the party would 100% feel terrible for the players as well

a lot depends on how well optimized the player characters are and how many/how powerful the friendly NPCs are, hope they have aura of protection and bless and more than just a few slots of third level spells
>>
>>92605754
>CR 23 Beholder
Okay I mean the NPCs might be able to really cl—
>4 mindwitnesses
This sounds like a fucking nightmare OP
>Captcha: T4RD
>>
>>92606026
>>92606108

From the same post, there's also the "Elder Orb", who is substantially less tanky and has a more interesting eye cone effect. Do you think it would become balanced to change the encounter to be one of the Elder Orb and two of the mindwitnesses instead?
>>
The mindwitnesses will make it pretty unwinnable, no matter their number, unless the party's got a paladin that the rest play around. They can target three defenses with debuffs per action, indefinitely stun foes in melee, and generally make trouble.

Maybe put in some more chaff or just accept that a few NPCs will be obliterated to raise the stakes?
>>
>>92606026
fpbp

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.