[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: joey and red eyes.jpg (2.2 MB, 4096x3483)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
What are some good RPGs where every players play a summoners? Idealy, both the player and the summon would be useful in a fight, with the summon(s) kicking ass and the summoner slinging spells.

Basically, I want to run a campagin that apes the plot of Yugioh and other CCG tie-in shows. The players discover that the game they play is more than just a mere game, and that they can use their cards to summon monsters and do battle with evildoers.
However, I want to run this game without anything resembling CCG mechanics at all. Summoning monsters and casting spells in the real world with cards is completely different than using those cards in the game.

Is there any RPG that fits this niche I'm looking for?
>>
self bump
>>
>>92605814
>However, I want to run this game without anything resembling CCG mechanics at all. Summoning monsters and casting spells in the real world with cards is completely different
Literally any systems that has monster cards, if physical decks are required, otherwise just give them a monster manual and that's literally all you have to do.
>>
>>92606582
I mean obvisously, yeah. I thought of that already. But I bet that RPGs that are designed arround summoning are probably a little better at handling that kind of gameplay than just giving my players an NPC sheet to play with. I wanted to explore all my otpions before moving on to just homebrewing whatever system I'm most comfortable with.
>>
3.5 unironically.
>>
>>92606979
Elaborate.
>>
>>92606582
>if physical decks are required
Just to clarify: I want to run a game with NO CCG mechanics at all. The CCG aspect is only an in-universe justification for 'normal' summoning mechanics.
>>
>>92607027
There are a surprising amount of summoning abilities.
>>
>>92607665
So like just give everyone free casts of Summon Monster? I guess...
>>
>>92607618
Sure, I'm just putting forward that physical material will help enforce mechanics. Players using an actual deck, even if it is a shared deck, is objectively more fun then playing without one.

Obviously, this is only applicable to irl games.
>>
The Digimon fan RPG and Monsters and Other Childish Things both have good summoner/minionmancer rules. Unfortunately, the 'summoners' in these games can't really contribute to fights by slinging spells.
>>
>>92605814
Millenium Blades comes to mind, although that's moreso designed to abstract the sort of vibes of a Yugioh anime.
I would expect a pokemon RPG might actually be a decent option, since that tends to include a wide variety of monsters and moves, although you'd almost certainly need to alter it if you want the monsters to all be cards with a static power level rather than creatures that advance and evolve.
>>
>>92608913
I'll look into Millenium Blades, thank you
>>
one last bump and then I'm gonna let this thread die
>>
>>92605814
The makers of Lodoss and Sword World had a Monster Collection RPG (Rokumon Sekai) which seems to have fit the bill but it's never been translated.

I imagine the 90's Shin Megami Tensei RPG also fit the bill.
>>
>>92605814
Summoning is always based, what system has the best take on summoning in general?
>>
>>92617773
Shadowrun has some pretty great summoning rules.
>>
>>92605814
We call those wargames or skirmish games.
>>
>>92618243
THE IRON KINGDOMS RPGS!!! That could actually work. Thank you anon :^)
>>
>>92617773
Go flick yourself
>>
File: 1485415.jpg (34 KB, 306x450)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>
>>92622255
Damn he drew the 1-of
>>
File: 9-068H_eg.jpg (327 KB, 429x600)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
>>
I seem to recall Pathfinder had a Summoner class, which had a sort of 'build your own summoned spirit', that got more abilities as you leveled up.
>>
>>92628247
There's a final fantasy ccg?
>>
>>92605814
Prowlers and Paragons. Take Summoning and one or more suitable attack powers.
>>
>>92605814
What are some underutilized summons in fantasy?
>>
>>92637264
plant monsters
>>
File: plant-supports-ygo.jpg (142 KB, 823x1200)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>92637456
Sounds awesome, there's a lot you can do with plants.
>>
>>92605814
in Anima: Beyond Fantasy you can:
-summon extraplaner entities to your aid, as well as dominate, bind and banish them
-form a pact with a godlike being you to burrow its powers and execute some special ability
-invoke the power of heroes of past, temporary gaining there abilities
-if you like Naruto, you can also use your ki to summon creatures in a conventional way

note that, despite doing all that, nothing stops you from spellcasting (or doing any other thing) while the summoning is active
>>
>>92642374
Yeah but Anima is a retarded RPG written by mongoloid spaniards with some of the worst game design ever written and nonstandard scaling between levels and archetypes.
>>
>>92642992
>nonstandard scaling between levels and archetypes
how so? and why is this an issue for non-d20 players?
>>
>>92643179
The power that some archetypes get on leveling up is larger than the power that other archetypes get. In particular psychics and mages get shit on hard as they level up. This makes encounter balance and party balance a nightmare.
>>
>>92643367
mages have limited supply of magic, needing to rest for one or two weeks in order to refill their reserves
psychics cannot harm spiritual entities and so are virtually useless against certain creatures
and martials don't stay behind: this is one of the few games were fighters are as capable as spellcasters
the classes that aren't as useful in combat are the ranger, thief, assassin and freelancer, and that is cos those were not made for combat (ridiculous considering this is an anime simulator)
on the other hand, the summoner classes are specially dangerous and often need the intervention of the GM: you do want the summoner to just bring everything it wants, not having a pact with za warudo
>>
>>92605814
What are some ways to spice up elemental summons for such a system besides combination elementals?
>>
>>92634468
Apparently, yes. I was as surprised as you are.
>>
>>92644275
Ars Magica has some neat things that hedge mages can do with summoning elementals. Since each of the elements map to one of the four humours, you can use summoning elements inside the body to heal people.
>>
File: 202260.jpg (239 KB, 900x1164)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>92647386
Okay, that's a cool idea, can you weaponize it too? And are there any specific Ars Magica books we should look at first besides the core?
>>
>>92647565
For 4e, the book you're looking for with the elemental summoning is Hedge Magic: Revised. Cradle and Crescent also has rules for playing islamic Sahir mages, who are all bound to one (or more) djinns to work their magic. Unfortunately, baseline hermetic mages aren't that good
>>
>>92647630
>>92647565
>4e
sorry meant 5e
>>
>>92605814
Pathfinder 1e. Just have everyone play Summoner/Unchained Summoner, maybe as a free gestalt.

>>92642992
>>92643367
>muh "creature rating"
>muh "balance"
>muh "encounter design"
>muh evryun has do grow same rate
Autistic retard.
>>
>>92647665
You wouldn't be saying this if you knew how bad the scaling was. Psychics can reach a point where they plateu, and even after gaining 3 or 4 levels they're not noticeably stronger than they were when they first plateaued.
>>
Do Pokemon and Jojo count?
>>
>>92647665
Unironically, this boring answer is probably the best one.
(Unchained) Summoner nails the fantasy of having primary summoned companion. And you get some other magic / mook summoning stuff to spice it up further.
And because it's Pathfinder kitchen sink, you can easily put it into any autistic setting idea you have.

Yes, pathfinder balance is crap - but so is the balance of most other 'original' indie rpgs out there, in my experience.
>>
>>92648338
well, psychics use the only subsystem that does not spend resources (PPs are more wild cards than any)
when the mage ran out of zeon and the techs are low in ki, the psychic can still launch powers, even if those aren't as versatile as spells
plus, they DO improve: you are supposed to increase the potential when leveling up
>>
>>92651280
You increase potential, but the thresholds between the various degrees of power increase in a nonstandard way. The differnece between regularly hitting Inhuman difficulty and regularly hitting Zen difficulty is several levels of experience, and the practical benefit for hitting this higher level is a smidgeon more damage.
>>
>>92650709
Does Jojo have an RPG that doesn't suck ass?
>>
>>92651959
What’s so bad about the JoJo RPGs you’re thinking of?
>>
>>92650709
Depends, does anyone know any good Pokémon TTRPGs?
>>
>>
>>92605814
What’s your opinion on a class focusing specifically on summoning demons, or on demon summoning in general?
>>
>>92605814
Why would a dragon, like in the OP image, let a human summon them? What do the summons in general get in this scenario, is there some kind of contract where both parties benefit?
>>
>>92662405
That works fine for me, lots of ways to reskin demons to be almost anything. What did you have in mind?
>>
>>92667855
Well, there's got to be an option to summon a succubus, of course, and then there's imp summons and warrior demons like this guy, just as a start. Still, seems like there should be more demonic archetypes that they can summon if needed.
>>
>>92605814
>
This could be done in a point buy system, provided you can gate keep the players from trying to break the system. Mutants and Masterminds or Big Eyes Small Mouth could run this.
>>
>>92605814
Just about any superhero point buy system like Mutants and Masterminds.
>>
>almost 7 days, less than 60 posts?
>check thread
>>>92667401
imagine my shock
>>
>>
>>92655574
>>92657192
>>92660088
>>92662405
>>92667401
>>92669983
>>92673863
>>92676890
Can you elaborate on that?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.