[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

With WotC long whoring out D&D to normies who watched critical roll, where can I get this feeling anymore?
The pic is from a pinball game but reminds me so much of 2e. With humor everywhere, detailed art, anachronisms everywhere for comic relief while still having verisimilitude to a "totally not medieval" feel. You don't get that from modern D&D where everything feels like fantasy Seattle with dumbass english accents. Any "medieval" aspects just feel vestigial and tacked on at this point. Its hard to explain what I feel when I look at this image but it feels like it has more personality and fun than anything modern D&D. Like the closest I got to feeling in a long time this was playing the "orcs must die" series.
And I don't think its the Blackrock pandering, or the lazy artstyle or the focus on selling to normies (as much as all those things suck) but I kinda just want a gay rollicking romp through a trap filled fairyland castle killing orcs with the boys and maybe even smooch an elf at the end of it.
>>
>>92606025
Like theres a kind of grit in oldschool art that you don't see in things like The Legend Of Vox Machina. Which seem to be trying to ape or are at least influenced by anime. Everything is just so clean and oddly muted
>>
>>92606025
I believe the answer is still AD&D or early hackmaster. Fantasy mediaeval games from the past 25 years take themselves more seriously, whether its MRQ/Mythras, Rolemaster, Hârn, ACKS, The One Ring, The Dark Eye, Dungeon Fantasy RPG - they're less humour filled.
>>
>>92606025
You answered your own question. 2E.
>>
>>92606025
Roll up OSR and crank some Dungeon Synth, brother

https://youtu.be/OxgVmpAk538?si=HSHOLN_HPSikuL9i
>>
>>92606025
Play AD&D. It still works, you just need a group who yearn to return and one of them has to be willing to map dungeons.
>>
>>92606025
Brancalonia
which is D&D as a pastiche of comedic fantasy/ historical films from Italy
>>
>>92609872
Not OP, but can you sell me on it? I like the sound of the premise as you've described, but I always like to know more.
>>
>>92606025
Las Vegas.
>>
File: Orcus_Lockwood.jpg (349 KB, 1200x1527)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
>>92606165
>>
>>92606025
who painted that? I love it
>>
>>92606025
>>92606165
cringe and reddit

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.