[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: KingsOfWar.png (140 KB, 264x377)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
How does Kings of War compare to Warhammer in any and all ways?
>>
>>92606264
I typically hear it described as 8th edition but overly simplified. Haven't played it though, and last time I played WFB was shortly after 7th came out.
>>
>>92606414
Is it really that simple when Warhammer is pretty complex?
>>
>>92606568
Wouldn't that make sense? Warhammer is complex, so other rulesets are simple by comparison?adgm
>>
>>92606264
It's simpler. This had pros and cons. It plays very fast which means you can get a game in easier but a long game isnt a bad thing, items and rules are more standardised which makes it easier to judge units you aren't familiar with but it means units are less unique overall, it is designed around multi based unit sizes so you can focus on hobbying but other people can show up with a few toys from the dollar shop and you have no grounds to complain, magic is just special shooting which makes spells easier to understand and use but makes them a little less interesting than some of the stuff in whfb, the dice rolling is only ever done by the active player so you could in theory go get some chips while your opponent had their turn assuming you trust them which is a taste issue if you want to have something to do in their turn, the community has lots of people who just want to play their dudes and also people who use the low commitment to army hop.
>>
>>92606623
It could be a good balance of complex and simple instead of oversimplified
>>
>>92606662
IMO the correct answer is to just play WFB6e. But I've heard other people say they prefer earlier editions. The game went in a crappy direction after 6th and the clones are all based on 8th.
>>
>>92606753
Do people actually play old warhammer editions still?
>>
>>92606264
Kings of War is way simpler and faster in comparison. The rules are easy to understand and I don't think I've needed to even look at my rulebook for dozens of games. The multibase system makes creating 'your dudes' easy and every single unit can be it's own little diorama.

The army builder is free on their website. Go ahead and give it a couple tries to see if you like it. It's worth playing.
>>
>>92606907
that tower of minis is insane
>>
Ir sucks and I won’t explain it.
>>
>>92606862
There's occasionally a thread for it that pops up here and 6th is a popular one in the thread. So, at least some people do.
>>
I like it, think of it as more element based.
>>
>>92606264
Imagine that you removed all interaction with the other player on your turn, took away individual basing, and made it run by a company without the ability to be quite as vile as Games Workshop. Oh, they want to, but they just can't quite nut up and pull it off. All the edges got filed off in the name of speed. They took the jank and much of the silly fun with them. So it plays pretty smoothly, but I just can't engage with it.
I vastly prefer Erewhon (which is basically a backport of Bolt Action to make a Fantasy heartbreaker) or Oathmark (campaign-based game set more in the Iron Age or First Age of Middle-Earth, rather than the Renaissance).
>>
While I've not played it myself, I've read up on the rules and observed a few games of this one guy at my club who's trying to form some sort of "counter revolution" to TOW. The ruleset seems solid, but it commits a cardinal sin of a tabletop game in that it's interminably boring. Aside from their version of leadership tests, that often don't do a whole lot unless you roll really badly, on your turn your opponent is only there to mark damage done to their units.
It just kind of feels like in a MTG/YGO game where someone pops off their combo and you have to sit there and wait it out while they essentially play solitaire. Except it's almost never a game winning combo, and is just a slow boring grind every time.
>>
KoW is actually a large-based mecha game in the skin of a fantasy wargame
>>
>>92606862
8th and 6th are the main editions people seem to play. Personally I play 8th because the guys I know do, and the expanding frontage and lapping around from 6th looks like it would be a nightmare with newer, larger minis that barely rank up as it is
>>
>>92606264
A bit more generic, but very playable. Doesn't have all the crazy specific special rules that are kind of the charm of WHFB, but is fairly balanced from what I've heard. The same can't be said of WHFB, as some armies just can't beat some other armies, to the point that there's barely any point playing the game.
>>
>>92609377
I play KOW and agree with this take, weirdly big brained lol

>>92609585
Good game to onboard people
>>
>>92609585
>some armies just can't beat some other armies, to the point that there's barely any point playing the game.
This is true. Its a really fun game if you're just playing casually with a chill opponent and gets extra silly with Storm of magic, but if your opponent is a WAAC-enjoyer and you play Tombkings or Bretonnia you may as well not bother showing up
>>
>>92609228
So while Kings of War goes faster due to one person going at a time it also makes it more boring, fair enough
>>
>>92606907
>civ4doomstack.jpg
>>
>>92609377
And now I want to model a KOW list as medievalpunk mechs.
>>
>>92609523
WFB 6 has the skirmish expansion, too. Though, you might be able to use it with 8th, I haven't tried.
>>
>>92608778
Oathmark is the most bland shit imaginable held together by a somewhat interesting campaign system, the combat is even simpler than KoW
>>
>>92613299
Yeah m8
It's a wargame
Not Warhamm-i-oh! BOSS BATTURUS
>>
File: Night Watch Kings of War.jpg (470 KB, 1956x1371)
470 KB
470 KB JPG
>>92606907
Multibasing making mass battles actually practical and easy to transport is great. As someone who is primarily a painter being able to make cool dioramas out of any minis I want and use them on the table also helps.

What it has going for it is consistent support along with rules that are balanced and playtested. The game leans way more into actual player skill rather than netlisting if you want to win games.
>>
>>92613363
Niiiice
>>
File: 1475110706815.png (943 KB, 634x623)
943 KB
943 KB PNG
I'm actually a big fan of Kings of War. I like how a lot of it is just "Yeah, you can use your historical wargaming army/ Warhammer fantasy army, fuck it."
I think Warpath/Deadzone is also pretty versatile with that.
>>
>>92613932
Deadzone is probably their best game desu. Extremely accessible and also ingenious with the cube based measuring system. It's also neat that Nightstalkers are coming over from kings of war to the warpath sci-fi universe next month as most of the Nightstalkers range is really nice.
>>
>>92615194
And here's some other dudes which I did headswaps on with anvil industry heads
>>
One thing I don't like about Kings of War is the community seems to have seen this refreshing, brisk game. And decided that the "meta" won't be campaigns like Oathmark, but tournaments. Tournaments where they get really autistic about cheesing the movement rules to pull off "corkscrew charges" and other bullshit

also stuff like this. Multibasing can be cool but these are nicer examples of people taking the piss
>>
>>92606656
When you describe it like this it sounds pretty shit

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.