[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.jpg (642 KB, 1920x1079)
642 KB
642 KB JPG
>Get ready for the ultimate crossover event! Roll20, the leading virtual tabletop, is teaming up with Discord to bring the full Roll20 experience to life as an embedded Activity within Discord. And Roll20 Pro subscribers get to be among the first to try it out in an exclusive beta test launching next week (on April 30th).

>This means you and your gaming group can summon a full-featured virtual tabletop complete with maps, tokens, character sheets, and all the Roll20 tools you know and love – and play within the Discord interface. The best part? You can keep using Discord’s voice and video chat while rolling dice, moving tokens, and traversing your campaign world together. No more juggling between apps and windows – just one seamless role-playing experience.

For those who play virtual tabletop and also use Discord this is huge.
>>
>>92610387
>You can keep using Discord’s voice and video chat while rolling dice, moving tokens, and traversing your campaign world together
You can already do that
>>
>>92610387
I really wish Discord had a viable alternative, but getting people to use a combination of mumble and IRC is a fool's errand these days.
>>
>>92610387
Man i love tech companies cross-referencing all my accounts i cant wait to have a digital profile i love when my entire life is bought and sold as a comodity for targeted ads
>>
>>92610817
>i love when my entire life is bought and sold
That's been the entirety of human experience ever since we came up with the idea of trade and currency.
>>
>>92610918
This. So much this.
>>
ugh but roll20 is laggy as fuck
>>
>>92610387 (OP)
>bloat upon bloat
Nightmarish, if I played online I'd go for mumble + tableplop.
>>
Foundry says lol, lmao
>>
>>92610387
does this actually add any new functionality that wasn't there before?
Even if it does Foundry still clears Roll20 every day of the week
>>
>>92610435
The alternative is Element / Matrix. But it'll still be a bitch getting people to use it.

>>92610387
But almost nobody likes roll20.

I think for now I'm going to keep using Bogsy's Dice Bot, OBS, FastStone Image Viewer (maybe some day I'll find a better replacement for showing arbitrary full screen images to the players with pan, scan, and zoom), and TaleSpire.
>>
Roll20 finally admitting their voice chat is garbage that nobody uses lmao
>>
>>92610387
Are there better places to find games than on Roll20 these days?
>>
>>92623205
Discord servers perhaps? Or you could use something like start playing games if you're willing to pay for a consistent group.
>>
>>92623521
>willing to pay
No.
>>
>>92623569
I gave you another option. Discord servers. Or, you know, people you know in real life. You might also have luck with Facebook groups for your game of choice. If you are incapable of finding people who want to game with you with all of those options, you can pay a GM for you to be entertained, or you can not play.

Figure it out, maybe make friends - or pay an entertainer. Those are your choices
>>
I'll never forget the time that I was running games for random people on Roll20 one time, and this girl didn't know that it automatically saved your webcam settings from the last time you played. So this time as soon as roll20 came on she was in the middle of putting clothes on and we all saw her tits and pretended like we didn't
>>
>>92610387
for what reason though? I get the same if not more manageable effect hosting battlemap on owlbear rodeo and rolling with avrae on discord or rolling irl dice with camera setup on dice tray
>>
>>92622002
explain the OBS bit
>>
>>92635680
Their interface will just be discord.

My video stream will be whatever I need for the game. Talespire (or whatever you like) for combat maps (they don't need to buy a copy), image viewer to show handouts, world maps, city maps, NPC portraits, or atmospheric background art (lots of MTG Land art), and the dice bot in discord handling the rolls. And I can switch OBS between the image viewer (which I will use most of the time) and the VTT (which I'll only use for big combats). And then the die rolls, I can capture those on discord and show them as well.

Sheets - I'll probably do those in google sheets, or maybe just google docs. But the main thing is to put them somewhere I can see them as GM.

I just don't use maps enough to want to give them the 100% focus that going *through* a VTT would have. Most of the time, I want to show backgrounds, handouts, or over world maps. And when I do want combat maps, well, I would really rather have 3d terrain, hence Talespire.

And If the players all use webcams, maybe I'll do BG style party portraits along one edge, with the webcams images.

Basically, the shit I want when running a VTT is mostly not a convenient part of the VTT software I've tried. Hence OBS and a grabbag of software.
>>
>>92610387
This is nice, but remember to be able to read profile pictures in the way they convey a person's personality, traits, beliefs, and the chances that they will cause drama at your only hobby group. Its just the reality of hosting online TTRPG sessions.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.