[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Zweihander.png (363 KB, 567x737)
363 KB
363 KB PNG
I want to run kind of a grittier, low power fantasy game which I believe "mudcore" usually refers to. I've had people recommend WHFRP, but I'm hesitant to use it because I feel that a lot of it would be too mechanically attached to the setting. I originally wanted to use Burning Wheel but I'm playing online and the combat system stumps even me, so the retards who I play with will either use the complexity to cheat or just not do it right/take an hour to make one attack.
As I understand it, Zweihander is kind of in the same spirit as WHFRP but it either has a generic setting or is setting agnostic. I remember seeing it being a bit of a divisive topic back when it was being shilled here, but I figured now that the dust has settled there's some more nuanced opinions on it.
If Zweihander isn't right, are there better systems to handle kind of a higher lethality, lower power type of game?
>pic semi related
>>
>>92621149
Please kill yourself Daniel.
>>
>>92621149
Zweihander isn't any more setting agnostic than WHFRP, considering it's just WHFRP 2e with 'legally distinct' name changes. I'd suggest using WHFRP anyway. Outside of that most OSRs lean into being lethal, even though old D&D being like that is mostly a meme. Runequest I think can support that type of game, and Riddle of Steel looks good although I haven't played it, personally.
>>
>>92621470
Which edition of Runequest would you recommend?
>>
>>92621149
Well, the obvious choice is Year Zero Engine games with low hit points and successes at a cost in the form of damaging your attributes and gear. So Forbidden Lands I guess.
>>
>>92621149
The Riddle of Steel could be good for you
Autism wound tables
Autism HEMA nerd combat
and just don't use sorcery
The book is terribly laid out and will require some deciphering so be warned
>>
File: fernando-correa-tercio.jpg (464 KB, 1920x1920)
464 KB
464 KB JPG
>>92622304
Not OP, but I'd heard that before and I'm very interested. Haven't found it anywhere, though. Is Blade of the Iron Throne still good? It's apparently the successor, but as we're all aware, it's often best to stick to older material.

>>92621470
This is what befuddles me. I haven't been able to find a .pdf of Zweihander (for obvious reasons), and the theming/aim of the system and frankly name appeal to me. But what is different? There has to be some adjustments or modernization that made it even worth his time to do that aside from just filing off the serials.

Otherwise, really, is just trying to use WHFRP 2e without the setting viable? Why do people love it so much more than 3e or 4e? I've always heard of that as the go-to edition but it's a lot to be read to just compare, let alone convince people to play.
>>
>>92621149
WFRP 1E- it's so different from End Times or 2E Warhammer
>>
>>92623080
>There has to be some adjustments or modernization that made it even worth his time to do that aside from just filing off the serials.

Not really. Having played both zwiehander and 4th edition Warhams (I've read but never played 2e), pretty much every single change just makes zwiehander clunkier. The way wounds and damage work suck, the way corruption works suck, it is in no way "modernized." I haven't played 2e, but from a reading it seems like a much better system, and 4e is, while a little clunky, still pretty good too, and I am told they fixed some of the clunk with splat releases.
>>
>>92621149
>but I'm hesitant to use it because I feel that a lot of it would be too mechanically attached to the setting.

It's attached to the setting of Early Modern, Central European mudcore. Sigmar, colleges of magic, dorfs that love grudges, secret Chaos cults, etc. are all optional.

>As I understand it, Zweihander is kind of in the same spirit as WHFRP but it either has a generic setting or is setting agnostic.
Zweihander is literally WFRP2e with a few houserules. It's basically the Pathfinder of Warhammer.

Just use WFRP, seriously.
>>
>>92623080
>There has to be some adjustments or modernization that made it even worth his time to do that aside from just filing off the serials.
It's so bad that the maker famously bought one of the WFRP forums just to shut them down because he was tired of people talking shit about how his rules were worse than the house rules they shared there.
He's also a reddit moderator for the WFRP subreddit and deleted a lot of conversation there.

Just stay away from the game.
>>
>>92621149
People like to compare Zweihander to Pathfinder, as it's a houseruled clone. But I feel like that is being too generous to Zweihander. Pathfinder at least iterated on the mechanical design, assumed power level, and presentation of late-era 3.5 to make it an arguably better game for those who liked 3.5's playfeel.
Zweihander is more like all those OSR repacks of BX or OD&D whose only creative addition is trying to fix the presentation style.

Just play humans only no sorcery Warhammer FRP 2E.
>>
anytime someone plays Zweihander, Danial Fox rapes a kitten.
>>
File: Michael Menace.jpg (318 KB, 1084x827)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
Click this link to steal food from Daniel Fox's mouth

https://file.io/3U7fIngh4fvv
>>
>>92628623
Download it twice but don't read it, it's a waste of time.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.