[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1702380832710570.jpg (48 KB, 563x651)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
What's the difference between Dual Classing and Multiclassing? All I know is playing a straight Thief is suboptimal and I should slap some Fighter levels onto it.
No, there isn't a 2e general.
>>
>>92621533
>Dual Classing
Human-only trap option.
>Multiclassing
Demihuman-only trap option.
>>
https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Classes#Dual-class
https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Classes#Multi-class
principles are identical with tabletop rules
list of allowed multi-class combinations for each race may vary by setting
>>
>>92621533
>dual classing
Two classes on one character.
>multi classing
[integer quantity greater than one] classes on one character.
You dumb fuck.
>>
>>92621533
>No, there isn't a 2e general
Make one or put a filterable subject header on your worthless thread, you worthless faggot.
>>
>>92621860
That's wrong. This is dnd lingo.
>>
>>92621898
>English doesn't apply
Then put a D&D subject header on the thread so I can filter it.
>>
>>92621533
One combines multiple classes into one, usually restricted by exp growth and racial restrictions

The other one is taking different levels of a class when you level up, sometimes restricted by race and exp penalties.
>>
>>92621533
Multiclassing you can change your mind from one level to the next, taking a level of this and a level of that, with the cost of possibly getting suboptimal levels that don't stack well.

Dual classing is a fixed progression giving you a hybrid class on a rigid progression track, with XP penalties designed to try to keep you more or less balanced with other party members.

Dual Classing is closer to a 3e gestalt character with an XP penalty as the attempted balancing mechanism.
>>
>>92621533
Also, yes. Just make a 2e thread. They pop up from time to time, there just aren't enough of you to keep it alive consistently.
>>
>>92621533
Dual class is
>I started as a thief, now I will temporarily forget everything I know as a thief to instead be a level 1 <other class>, if I survive to the point of being the same level I was before, I now keep forever leveling as <other class> but with benefits of my previous class too.
Despite the name you can then theoretically add another class but odds are giving up that many class levels that late into the game is ridiculous.

Multi class is
>I am an elf, so I get to level both fighter and mage simultaneously at a XP penalty
Your combination has to be picked at character generation and each race can only pick specific combinations.
>>
>>92627147
>Despite the name you can then theoretically add another class but odds are giving up that many class levels that late into the game is ridiculous.
The bigger problem were the stat requirements. You needed like 15 in your current class stat and a 17 in the subsequent class stat to dual class into it.
>>
>>92627147
Important note also that multiclassing was in general the superior option for higher-level games because non-human races had a maximum level they could reach in a given class. So if you're going to cap out at level 12 fighter or level 12 cleric, there's literally nothing to lose by being a 12 fighter/12 cleric instead.
>>
>>92627527
Certain classes had features that were unavailable for multiclassers, like weapon spec.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.