[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Everything went tits up when the king making started.

Previous Thread: >>92649583

>Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/h8Tz2ze8

ANONS TOP NINE BOARD GAMES
>https://pastebin.com/jTvpg8bQ

>TQ
Admit your true feelings to your game crush.

Do you play with pacifists or shit disturbers?

Would you trade one type for the other?
>>
>>92667244
1st for CAYLUS
>>
File: Caylus_game.jpg (22 KB, 266x373)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>the smug look of total superiority
>>
File: 1695152954062923.png (966 KB, 869x869)
966 KB
966 KB PNG
>>92667336
>>
File: 1714453542474563.gif (727 KB, 480x360)
727 KB
727 KB GIF
>friend bought himself a copy of Concordia
>said he really wants to play it
>he didn't know I already owned Concordia
>>
Song anon is back making OPs, all is good in the world.

seriously what the fuck was going on last thread
>>
>>92667244
>TQ
Shit disturbers natch, I play with only the highest quality rancid bearshit trebuchet enthusiasts. It would be nice to play with pacifists every once inna while but that's just what you get.
>>
>>92667244
Thread Question: Is Stationfall chaotic?
>>
File: colossal-arena.jpg (49 KB, 700x400)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
What are some games you tend to mix up? I often mistake Colossal Arena for Tash Kalar for some reason.
>>
>>92668886
Well it's understandable considering they have the same theme. Which one is by Knizia again?
>>
>>92668367
some reddit-spawn are trying to force a meme
it's not working
>>
>>92667244
Well that was quite the song edit, great job

>Admit your true feelings to your game crush.
I'm unsure if you mean games (they know) or bgg-maidens (wife doesn't play). Either way, I am pretty open with my feelings.
>Do you play with pacifists or shit disturbers?
Mostly pacifists. Or rather, relatively conservative players. It'll take a bit of experience for them to take the initiative and be aggressive, at least if the game allows for turteling. Wasn't a problem in eg Kemet.
>Would you trade one type for the other?
Idk. I've had a very aggressive player who I think was on the far end of the autism spectrum and that only lead to shit games; but that was less because of his aggressive ways but rather because he's a faggot. I suppose best would be a somewhat unpredictable group that can change from being absolutely cutthroat yet not take the game too seriously to live-and-let-live, and you'll never know in advance.

I'm happy as is, I suppose, so I would rather not change anything
>>
Still looking for decent games with good minis, so that I have stuff to paint and at the same time a game that isn't as broken as crap like CDM and the like.
>>
>>92669548
Oh oh, Cthulhu Death May Die
>>
>>92669558
My bad, i meant CDMD.
I've played it twice and I found it an insult to game design: unpolished and with a bunch of ambiguous interactions between characters' abilities and monsters, monotonous gameplay, not so much replayability given the base price.
>>
>>92669548
I do like black rose wars. BRW rebirth is basically a second edition that makes it more strategic but you could surely get the original used for a relatively low price.
>>
>>92669658
I was tempted by BRW rebirth but the price was insane, just like any other KS these days. Is the game actually balanced? The first edition didn't look so much.
>>
>kingmaking schizo is not posting
>this general is dead
Maybe we do need such discussions after all
>>
>>92670398
Yeah that sounds about right
>>
>>92670398
Maybe it's time for me to post a question again. An anon had this interesting question that kind of went unnoticed.

>How do you do rubberbanding right?
Having too little leads to splotter style snowballing, where you need equally skilled and experienced players. Having so much you really feel the dampener on you is frustrating. Making all actions roughly equal leads to soulless point salads. What's the enlightened way?
>>
I've been wanting to check out QE for a while because it seems fun, but (1) I already own Modern art and (2) what stops players gaming the system and going "haha [first winning bet] is now the amount we'll collectively go under all the time so first winner is out already."
>>
Oh baby.
>>
>>92670728
This faction has a ton of movement. The kites, voltswappers, free moving gust striders, the final champions pulling friendlies into positive.
>>
>>92669548
Kemet, Eclipse, Cthulhu Wars, Middara.
>>
>>92668886
Holy mother of autism, was one thread not enough?
>>
>>92667244
How does dune imperium actually play?
>>
>>92668886
For me it's mixing up Grand National Derby and Task-Kalar.
>>
>>92670610
The true answer is none at all, but I still dislike the type of players make their own balance like root or ti. Still, I think playing badly shouldn't be rewarded and playing well shouldn't be punished. I know it's fucking lang, but I really like how ankh handled it.
>>
>>92671049
it's a deck builder where every card has multiple uses
>access to worker placement spaces
>an ability when accessing spaces
>an ability when discarded at end of turn to either purchase new cards, bid for combat, or get resources
everyone has a special leader with a unique power for their signet ring starter card
every round there are rewards for combat and winning requires deploying cubes (and/or worms)
you play until someone gets 10+ points, but there are some endgame scoring effects as well
>>
What are your top 5 Knizia games? Mine are: Ra, Modern Art, Tigris, Lost Cities and Tash Kalar.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ji74B70fxQ
>>
>>92670610
Agree with other anon, that playing well shouldn't be punished, but I'm of the mind that you can have a smidge of negative feedback for the winning players, to give them a challenge. Like the barricade strips in Quest for El Dorado: if you're the only one arriving to it, you'll need to waste a card or three to clear it, and that'll both give more time for the others to catch up, and make their progress through this area easier as they don't have to deal with one type of movement in the middle of another one, and will be able to cruise through on a plane or a big machete with less obstacles. But also the barricades also give endgame tiebreak so it's not actually a full waste of cards, and when multiple players are near one it can be funny to not take it because you just know the other lead player has no way to clear it for the next three turns at least thanks to bad deckbuilding.

Wish I had more examples, the only other thing coming to my mind is researching on first turn in Sidereal Confluence as that takes a lot of cash you could've saved up and multiplied to give a rather small boost to production and a handful of vp, but for good players the downsides are outweighed by the fact you get a production boost on turn one, which scales for the rest of the game, so it's not exactly a negative feedback thing.
>>
>>92671508
the joke is not funny anymore
>>
>>92671738
>>92670610
I think Innovation has a good take on the problem. If your opponent is ahead, or has a better engine, you have to become a 'chaos monkey' – rely on unpredictable effects and random draws to try to throw wrenches into his engine. Anyone who has played the game will know what I mean :)
>>
>>92670610
Reduce the amount of incremental scoring throughout the game and provide ways to force the game to end. This way the player who is better situated has a firm advantage, but an aware player who is behind can easily steal a win based off of a mistake or by better taking advantage of a situation.
>>
>>92671738
>>92671754
>>92671831
Dominion is one of my favorite examples of this. Most ways of scoring have a negative effect on your deck, which incentivizes building an engine big enough to end the game soon after you begin scoring. Failure to do so allows the opponent to catch up organically. Also, even if your opponent has a better engine, both sides have to be aware of the game state, as once piles get low it's very possible to end the game on three piles while only scoring a couple of points.
>>
>>92671738
>But also the barricades also give endgame tiebreak so it's not actually a full waste of cards
Fucking knizia, this is such an elegant solution whilst still being a catchup mechanism. I kneel yet again.

Since that faggot keeps spamming it, tash-kalar also kinda works in that you do want to either be ahead or *really* behind so you can get a bonus card, which in turn creates an interesting dynamic because your opponent knows that as well. Barrage does a good job of not intervening much but still having a considerable effect with player order changing according to energy production, but that doesn't necessarily help the player actually behind in points.

Oh and of course, Churchill turns the whole concept of lacking behind upon its head by giving you 3 different endgame conditions that change who *actually* wins (first and second get a vp malus,ast player gets a vp boost; overall second player wins; or straight up most vp wins). Fucking hell everytime I talk about churchill I IMMEDIATELY want to play it, it's so good.
>>
>>92671969
>>92671738
Oh and I forgot despite the answer being relatively obvious, is Quest for el dorado as good as people say or is it just babbys. first race/deckbuilder that makes it so popular?
>>
>>92671902
I don't want to be the guy bringing up big money, but how can something that goes tall win against it?
>>
>>92672018
Big money loses to a competent player like 98% of the time, especially after 2nd edition removed most of the unplayable cards. The only time big money is competitive is if there's no + buy and bad draw.
>>
>>92672029
Makes sense. I haven't played the game in... oh god, nearly than a decade. Maybe I should look into second edition, I've always liked the game despite its obvious flaws, it really does deckbuilding like I want deckbuilding in games to be.
>>
>>92672079
Yeah, it's not a perfect game, but it is one where the flaws have gotten better over time. There are still some boards that are boring or low interaction, and being a deck builder sometimes shuffle luck just decides the game, but with expansions it really is the best deck builder, even now. Especially with the expansions after Adventures adding Events.
>>
>>92672079
>>92672106
Forgot to add, recent expansions have added more interesting treasures so even the boards that are more money-ish can be fun now.
>>
>>92668886
Spirit Island and Phase 10.
>>
File: 1708069395774277.jpg (19 KB, 550x343)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>92672170
Excellent post
>>
>>92670834
Middara is not that easy to get and it's a campaign game, Cthulhu Wars is a meme and anyone supporting them is asking to be robbed.
>>
>>92670782
This champ alone makes the deck cool. Cheap cost decent attack 4move. Night night Abua.
>>
File: 82b.jpg (121 KB, 680x680)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
Not that they are that similar but Race for the Galaxy or Fort?
>>
kickstarter gemseeker here, a game called prowl: clans and cunning has caught my eye, there's 4 clans, their banners are on a ranking in the middle of the table, and your objective is to have a card face down from the winning clan at the end of the game, every card has a clan but they can be placed face down or played for their effects

it would fill that 3-player niche that i'm looking for, if two players are on the winning clan, the victory goes to the next clan in line
>>
>>92672662
>kickstarter gemseeker here
LMAO
>>
>>92672644
never played fort but i saw it played any you juggle more than just cards in it so i dont like it
purity of the card forver, roll for the galaxy was a mistake, billions must shuffle
>>
>>92672970
Shuffling at setup is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiitch but during the game you only shuffle like once tops.
>>
These are the games in my wishlist any thoughts?
Days of Ire: Budapest 1956
Autobahn
Nineveh
LEGENDS UNTOLD
Wreckland Run
Ascension Tactics
Renegade
Rush M.D
2 GM Pacific
Trickerion
Oltree
Suburbia
Great Western Trail
Warp's Edge
Fleet
Motor City
Three Sisters
Ginkgópolis
Dice Hospital
Oaxaca
>>
>>92668367
Just autism.
>>
>>92673493
Looks pretty good. How about Tash Kalar? Have you tried it?
>>
>>92673493
i don't see the slightest variety of genres, therefore i declare you have shit taste, you'll be hearing fro the /bgg/ council
>>
>>92673493
>euroslop
>euroslop
>euroslop
>euroslop
keep ginkgopolis burn the rest
>>
>>92673493
>GWT
Essential midweight euro, I think it aged rather well and the new editions seem good.
>Trickerion
Found it good but not great. Wanted to play it again, but never really felt like it. It's a heavy euro alright, but it does really want to you to plan a lot of turns ahead, most of the game actually. Didn't enjoy that part too much but obviously this would change with multiple plays, when you know when and how to pivot. All in all it wasn't the semi-hidden game I took it for, though.
>>
File: chadspan.png (1.54 MB, 1920x1080)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
>>92672644
Why not play a good game instead?
never played Fort but RftG is 100% luck driven
>>
>>92673602
No, first time hearing about it What's it about?
>>92673844
isn't ginkgopolis an abstrack euro city builder, what makes it stand up from the rest?
>>
>>92673844
What games do you recommend that you don't consider "euroslop"?
>>
>>92672644
I enjoy Fort a lot, for what it is worth. It's also acceptable with 2 players if you are into that. It's easy enough to teach other people and have fun in their first game, too, which is always a bonus.
>>
>>92674067
Its an arena fighting game, I dont remember the name of the designer but people say its pretty good
>>
>>92673949
>>92674102
Come on anon pls don't shit up the tread deliberately
>>
>>92674067
Gink has area majority and drafting which are both pretty interactive. i don't agree with shitting on euros though, but i'm another anon who is ginkpilled
>>
>>92673844
Based
>>92674067
Simultaneous turns, exceptional and elegant design incorporating area control, drafting, engine building and resource management. Highly interactive with enough take that to be satisfying but not enough to blow someone out and have you trudging to an inevitable conclusion. Plays well at all player counts and takes the same amount of time at all counts. Additionally, it's a complete game out of the box not needing any expansion to make it 2.0 or 1.0 as the case often can be. I would put it alongside Hansa Teutonica and El Grande. It would have been a hit if its theme wasn't utter shit since it feels like property mogul fuck heads more than tree hugger commune love and peace and mystical ancient tree houses.
>>
when will Hansa Teutonica get a new edition that's presentable to players who are allergic to beige?
i wish this didn't filter my group so hard but it does
>>
>>92673844
but Ginko is the sloppiest on the whole list
>>
>>92674724
yea but it's also RNG driven as both the tiles you can place, and the cards telling you where you can place em, are both random
after playing it a bunch on BGA i can confidently say it's not good enough to buy
>>
Spirit Island is my favorite game of all time, I have well over 100 plays mostly 2 player with my gf

Would I like Mage Knight? Is the ultimate edition worth 100 bucks?
>>
File: scary fremen.png (285 KB, 529x530)
285 KB
285 KB PNG
>>92672970
>Uwe! Uwe! A billion games were not enough for Uwe!
>>
>>92675102
I have never played Spirit Island but would highly recommend Mage Knight, although it can get cluttered at high player counts.
>>
>>92675102
>gf
female, btw
>>
>>92675102
I'd never recommend MK to anyone I like but since you enjoy Spirit Slop you might just enjoy a joyless solitaire slog mess with the ugliest artwork and worst fucking components known to mankind that is MK
>>
>>92675102
2 player coop mage knight is excellent
i think both games are different enough as well to fit different moods
>>
>>92675105
Bless the gamer and his boxes.
>>
>>92670665
>haha [first winning bet] is now the amount we'll collectively go under all the time so first winner is out already
From memory that doesn’t really work since you have to bid in full dollar amounts, so the absolute least you can bid is $1. Since winning nothing ever also guarantees you lose the game, in every game I’ve played the bids were mostly increasing over time or at the very least didn’t decrease by much.
>>
>>92675102
It's definitely a different feeling and a beast to play (we usually play it over an extended weekend) but it's a blast every time
>>
File: bg1.jpg (2.42 MB, 3016x4008)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB JPG
We still doing those?
Guess what's in the box. Small games, two out of 4 by Knizia.
>>
>>92675788
Startups, Llama Dice, Modern Art (oink printing) and Salt & Pepper
>>
>>92675121
>although it can get cluttered at high player counts
Wait, it's not a solo game?
>>
>>92675027
The rng is a requirement. How do you expect to play drafting games without rng, anon? Even the extremely samey drafting of 7WD has rng and you have far less control over it. In ginkgopolis you manage the rng through exploiting, colour changing and hate drafting that's a big part of the package and obviously so. I find your take perplexing to say the least.
>>
>>92675788
>two out of 4 by Knizia
Do you know how little that narrows it down?
also, the box contains furfag dildos
>>
File: Spoiler Image (2.72 MB, 3024x3968)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
>>92675920
1 point.

>>92675884
Good try mate, but already got the dicetree printing of MA and also already have S&P.
>>
What are your guy's thoughts on rng in board games? Are some instances of rng okay, ie drawing cards rolling dices, and are there games where the rng is too swingy and not a fun mechanic? Is there like an acceptable amount of rng you want, and what's the level where its too much?
>>
>>92674072
>keyflower
>puerto rico
>3 kingdoms redux
>caylus
>dominant species
>age of steam
>tigris and euphrates
>agricola
>brass
>through the ages
there you go, thats enough euros to last you a lifetime, you dont need to buy every new piece of shit that comes out
>>
>>92675897
It can be played as a solo game but also goes up to 4p. It starts to get pretty cluttered at 3p though.
>>
>>92676270
Get something at random and figure out the best way to use it: good
Get something at random and it's inherently either great or terrible: bad
>>
File: 20240501_215343.jpg (2.02 MB, 2806x2883)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
It's a good night, lads.
Taught two dudes TS, and got my 20th match vs my rival going.
>>
File: OIP(102).jpg (52 KB, 474x576)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
are there any board games about school shootings?
>>
Didn't get an answer last time I asked
What's with all the different versions of Axis and Allies and which one should I try to find on Ebay?
>>
>>92676768
he asks, posting series that explicitly draws the line at not depicting any violence against kids
>>
File: 1689512413565641.jpg (324 KB, 1600x1200)
324 KB
324 KB JPG
>>92677702
>What's with all the different versions of Axis and Allies
Different years, different maps, for different battles and skirmishes, rules are relatively quick and simple to learn
>which one should I try to find on Ebay?
They all fucking suck dick to be honest, but if you really want to for some reason, there's 1941 which is considered a good entry because of its simpler rules, and cheaper price (due to much less components, most people don't like this because A&A is all about having 50kg of plastic on the board at all times).
The second main recommendation is to get A&A: Europe 1940 which can be combined with A&A: Pacific 1940 for a huge full-scale war re-enactment of that ameritrash goodness.
>>
>>92676700
>Rival
Glad I'm not the only one who has one. Definitely have the best games when they're around. All my players are starting to become legitimate threats though, it's great to see.
>>
>>92677938
knowing my friends full scale war re-enactment is probably the way to go
ty for spoon feeding me anon
anyone else have a second opinion on A&A?
>>
>>92678111
>>92677702
If you want something that is a bit more involved but (allegedly) doesn't suck complete dick?
Check out War Room, stay for the amazing map and the rake thingies with which you push around armies. It's pretty expensive, though. But I've heard it described as A&A but good a few times. To be clear, I'm recommending a game I've never played, but it seems up your (friends') alley
>>
>>92674814
This. Japan, where is my anime girl version? Everyone knows cute anime girls get all the women to the table
>>
>>92676006
>Longcat died
>Now some angry looking faker is put on the cover of a game
I can't believe tacgnol is dragging longcat's name through the mud like that.
>>
>>92676484
Oh, by "euroslop" you meant "euro games I don't like", not "I hate euro games and you should buy other types". My bad.
>>
File: 1712258622914489.gif (91 KB, 480x384)
91 KB
91 KB GIF
>>92679597
Any time you read "slop" in a post, you can safely stop there.
>>
File: Screenshot.jpg (190 KB, 680x884)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
Hey guys, if you back this hacked out generic dead on arrival TCG, you can get a bunch of cards for only $8250!!! Score!
The fuck is wrong with hobbyists?
>>
File: Magi_Nation_cardback.png (257 KB, 267x374)
257 KB
257 KB PNG
>>92679630
>Hey guys, if you back this hacked out generic dead on arrival TCG, you can get a bunch of cards for only $8250!!! Score!
I dropped over $900 last month on an already dead (since 2003) game being "revived" on Kickstarter.
I regret nothing.
>>
>>92679656
The one with the cringe deviantart oc artwork? Thats rough buddy. Meanwhile I can barely afford a can of spagetio's and this chump handing 10 grand over to a grifter for some cards with a 13 year olds drawings on em.
>>
File: bograth_eryss.jpg (67 KB, 398x542)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>92679696
And I'd do it again!
>>
>>92679696
>The one with the cringe deviantart oc artwork?
I thought you were exaggerating, and then I googled some of the cards... :((
>>
>>92679656
Why do people back insane amounts of these 2 sets then dead kickstarter TCG's?

Like can you not see the writing on the fucking wall? Are you all just blind?
>>
Holy. Fucking. Shit. I take back all the shittalking. This is the "event that might save the deck" that I was talking about.
>>
>>92679630
>1440 booster packs
this is clearly the "i'm an LGS owner willing to splurge a bit to see if there's interest between my local customer base" option, nothing wrong with it costing a lot because it's not for hobbyists, it's for grifters.
>>
File: 54 - eepy gods.png (1.49 MB, 1335x900)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB PNG
>>92651152
The black exile visits every game in the geek top 100. Chapter 54
5 minute shitpost because I'm sick as fuck

>>92667244
>Admit your true feelings to your game crush.
My lovely Oath, now that our two year honeymoon is over, I start to see the ugly side that everyone warned me about. Or maybe I've grown weary of you. Or maybe the amazing Oath group I assembled recently disbanded and the people I regularly play with don't give a shit about the chronicle and thus can't let you shine as you should I am still mad
>Do you play with pacifists or shit disturbers?
If you have two options that are equally good for you, and one generates chaos, I'll be offended if you don't choose it.
>>
File: 1714434199540952.jpg (105 KB, 934x838)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>92680601
NOW we're cooking with electrons!
>>
>>92678723
She lives on in our memory

>>92681079
One of my favorite, love the ripples on the water
>>
>>92681079
I have an unopened Oath sitting on my shelf. Is it worth learning and playing with only 2p, or should I wait until I have 4p?
>>
>>92681330
Thanks man
>>92681457
No, it sucks. At two players you're forced to play with the automa, and a robot can't write stories
>>
>>92681457
Sell it to me anon, I'll buy it off you
>>
Lads I've got Blue Moon Legends back. The utter madman actually gave it to me for 10 euros.
It's so fucking weird how this makes me feel really happy, yet I know I'll spend far more than the few euros I saved at the next time I take the family out.
>>
File: 1691606474045151.png (144 KB, 500x398)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
>>92682379
>Lads I've got Blue Moon Legends back. The utter madman actually gave it to me for 10 euros.
Im both extremely upset yet happy for you.
If you hadnt before, take advantage of all them deck building options and variants.
Truly show your appreciation for that little box that could.
>>
>>92669805
What the hell is wrong with you idiot?
>>
>>92669805
Wait what, I was sure I responded to this post at length. Did the post get deleted again because I used the badwrong missspelling of kickstarter? Fucking hell.

>>92682549
Wtf anon
>>
What are some publishers that nobody hates?
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (67 KB, 900x900)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>92682806
>>
>>92682903
I never played Dead of winter, was it any good?
Also mice and mystics is pretty bad
>>
>>92682998
>I never played Dead of winter, was it any good?
It was fine. Got replaced by spirit island in my group.
>Also mice and mystics is pretty bad
But does that make you hate them as a publisher?
Which raises the question: are we hating based solely on catalogue or on business practices and design/ publishing philosophy?
>>
File: IMG_3634.png (35 KB, 1445x1621)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>92682806
>>
>>92683080
I can only think of two titles under them.
Aside from SI and SotM, they release anything else memorable
>>
File: IMG_3636.jpg (51 KB, 670x270)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>92682806
>>
>>92683134
FUCK osprey, I got two boxes of imperium and two boxes of undaunted and none of them fit sleeved cards. They are fucking deckbuilders, you shuffle a lot you brit cunts
>>
>>92683107
just the baseball game and some abstract from a book
>>
>>92683156
print an insert anon
original inserts are for shipping games not organizing them
>>
>>92677938
>>They all fucking suck dick to be honest
NTA, but I have to ask; is this a common opinion on here? I thought Axis and Allies was considered one of the better boardgames around?

Why do people think it sucks so bad if it is hated?
>>
File: IMG_3637.png (11 KB, 153x217)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>92682806
>>
>>92683180
If the cardboard chits come in a punch out board, and the insert has wells to hold them, it's clearly for organization, not for shipping
>>
File: images.png (4 KB, 299x168)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>92682806
>>
>>92683304
the primary purpose is for shipping
they make superficial overtures to usability but it is not the primary goal of the design. not enough customers use sleeves to engineer around them
not trying to be shitty, it's just the reality for most publishers. i much prefer the rare insert that fits sleeves like Pax Pamir and JoCo
>>
>>92683156
>>92683434
Dominion boxes could so easily be modified to fit sleeved cards and they just don't fucking bother.
>>
>>92683434
>the primary purpose is for shipping
Probably, but if you've seen the inserts I'm talking about they are clearly designed for storage and not shipping, given that they have several built in splits for all the different decks. It's absolutely negligence from osprey and FUCK them
>>
>>92683476
And there are also other reasons why dominion is based
>>
>>92682806
You posted the best example
Cge is fucking great and the one publisher I actually check for new releases every now and then
>>
>>92683322
I hate button shy. Gay-ass little card touching freaks.
>>
>>92669548
Shadows of Brimstone: Gates of Valhalla or Valley of the Serpent Kings.
>>
>>92669548
Frosthaven
I don't really like minis at all but the sculpts for the player characters are pretty detailed. it would be fun to paint them as you go
>>
>>92679656
I can see bringing back a dead TCG as an LCG. I can't see them somehow reviving blind buys for a CCG 20 years later.

Underneath is best though.
>>
>>92679656
>>92679732
why do i find this art so charming
good thing the game is surely trash and I hate booster packs
>>
>>92668886
I don't tend to mix board games up, but once I was reaching for the Anusol and grabbed Colossal Arena by accident, that didn't do my hemmorrhoids any favors.
>>92669548
New Angeles, Rising Sun
>>
File: temporary-768x526.jpg (84 KB, 768x526)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Are we shitting our pants for Based-Jamey's new game? Seems like a neat idea but it might be too ambitious.
>>
>>92682728
Posting is a privilege, one might even say, a stretch goal.
>>
A Gest of Robin Hood rolling out.
I haven't really been keeping up with board gaming lately, any opinions on picking it up?
>>
>>92687137
Is it on TTS yet?
>>
What are some good Dwarf themed games?
I have:
The Dwarves Big Box
Saboteur
Heroquest(Kinda, you can be a Dwarf but it means little)
Bag Of Dungeon(Again, kinda, but meaningless)

I just like Dwarves man
>>
>>92687327
>What are some good Dwarf themed games?
Caverna, Nidavellir
The hall of the mountain king feels very dwarfy but they are nordic trolls
>>
>>92683212
A&A is just Risk but slightly better, you could say it's what Catan is to Monopoly.
>>
>>92683212
>I thought Axis and Allies was considered one of the better boardgames around?

no.

>is this a common opinion on here?

yes.

Axis & Allies hasn't been relevant to board game discussion in something like four decades. Way to out yourself.
>>
File: no u.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
/tg/ I feel truly blessed. I have a group I can play Dune with 6 players once a week with, I just got Ra and the Korean version of Modern Art on Tuesday that we will play tomorrow night, and I have thoroughly weaned my gaming group off of kusogei, and the go to ultra lightweight game is Codenames. I've made it. I feel fulfilled. I am happy knowing I am the envy of most of you fuckers. God bless Reiner Knizia.
>>
I bought Bullet and played it for the first time with my brother, and I think he had a literal anxiety attack playing with the timer, do you guys find timed shit not fun to play in board games?
>>
>>92688027
>2/2
also said it was too tryhardy and not social enough along with not liking the timer, not sure if that's the experience for any of you
>>
>>92682728
>>92687645
I just ordered the CMON modern art because of the tarot form factor and knocked up a little display easel. Already had a gavel for knocking grounds out of my single dose modded super jolly. I admire the elegance of the Korean bookshelf editions though—is this your first step down that slippery slope or do you have others in your collection?
>>
>>92688064
Sounds like a mindset issue for him. The most common timed move games are chess, chess variants and go, so I can see why he might approach it thus. He might do better if you frame it differently, or he may have severe underlying issues regarding self-perception, failure or fear of societal judgment. Regardless, I hope you enjoy it at least and don't let his negativity sway you. I have wanted to try bullet for a while now. Strangely there are preorders for the orange expansion up but nothing for the base game here.
>>
>>92688520
bullet is fun af to play even single player I'd recommend getting it, I'm just hoping it isn't a common thing I'd have to deal with I wanted to do a drinking game with my group out of it lol
>>
>>92688726
Should be a close to a perfect scenario for playing in a relaxed way. Some other anons posts happy little bullet stories from time to time.
>>
>>92687137
It's a 1v1 only, babby's first COIN. That doesn't make it bad, there's just a question of why play it over a non-COIN 2p game like Twilight Struggle?
>>
>>92688829
Yeah I've never met anyone that seems to enjoy COIN games and people in this thread tend to shit on them. But I guess they must have some appeal?
>>
god root is so fucking fragile with new players. i'm just going to start telling people i'm not interested in teaching them unless they're the type to enjoy gittin gud and putting in reps
really doesn't help when moles require the table to react to them in a certain way - even moreso than vagabond
imo root is a bit structurally fucked and either needed longer to bake or just can't reach its conceptual potential. my theory is that when asymmetric win conditions didn't work they couldn't delay development without taking a PR hit, which could be disastrous in their first big kickstarter. but feel free to convince me that dominance cards are a functional mechanic and are literally ever viable
the impressive thing is how fun it can be at its peak despite all the negatives
>>
>>92677702
Just get Memoir 44 instead. its really fun
>>
>>92687645
>6 player Dune once a week
irl?
lucky bastard
What's your favorite faction to play?
>>
>>92689250
COIN is an interesting idea but the only one that I think is a really excellent *game* is Fire in the Lake.
I own it and Cuba Libre and have zero desire to own any more.
>>
>>92677702
Quartermaster General or Triumph & Tragedy are better. So is Here I Stand or Dune or EU PoP if you want a long game.
>>92683212
It’s really just Risk with extra steps. A slow, RNG grind with little actual strategy or nuance. There are much, MUCH better wargames across the spectrum of complexity than it.
>>
It constantly blows my mind that people enjoy playing Through the Ages and think its a fun game.
>>
>>92689474
what's not to like?
>>
>>92689250
Don't half of the thread only talks about Root.
>>
>>92689474
I enjoy it digitally because that automates all the upkeep and cube-pushing. Can't imagine playing it IRL and keeping track of everything
>>
>>92689250
I would never shit on it. But I would definitely say that COIN games are much more interesting as an experiment than as games. It's a strange, nonstandard type of fun, and I don't feel much like replaying them. With the exception of FitL as the other anon said, but that's because herman is an unreasonably good designer. But at that point why not go full herman and play motherfucking Pericles. Which might be the best game noone really gets to play because the barrier of entry is so high, and the barrier to play it competently even more so
>>
>>92689262
I gotta agree here, and I overall don't really like root. There is a lot of potential (like in all wehrle games) that just falls on its nose when experience levels or skill are uneven. And, contrary to what normally happens when you are more experienced with a game, in root the best player can easily get wrecked because other players react wrong. And I suppose this is also part of the casual appeal; everyone can win despite large skill gaps. I found both sides to be frustrating, either I didn't know why I won so clearly or I didn't fully grasp what lead to my demise. I think susd had one of their precious few lucid moments when they said that exploring the game is fun, but the game itself isn't really.
>>
File: 1714605241663985.jpg (33 KB, 637x646)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>92691620
Weird way to bump but ok
>>
>>92691620
>40k
More like 40gay
>>
>>92686326
>neat idea
What's the idea?
>>
File: 1701525801743788.jpg (517 KB, 1772x1203)
517 KB
517 KB JPG
Anyone played this? Good? Shit?
It's basically 7 Samurai the board game.
>>
>>92692008
Love the guy who can't see shit walking forward swinging his arms wildly.
>>
>>92689474
TTA is one of the greatest games ever.
>>
File: BUS.png (185 KB, 321x227)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
Anybody else Pre-Ordering the BUS reprint this year?

I was about to buy everything for a PnP copy when they announced the reprint. Scalpers want 200$+ on Ebay. Capstone bitched that the last reprint wasn't even profitable.
>>
Summoner War dudes, Storm Goblin preview is complete. What are your thoughts?
I don't see Forge level damage shenanigans, but slightly tricker sand goblin auto fire with positioning as a trade off for the Sandies easy but limited self mill/health damage. That damage can be doubled on two of your turns is going to break games open for you, and trading one magic and a card for a five health all star common is an exchange I am fine making. Champions all remind me of the Deep Dwarves, for any 1e players. Bag of tricks that will have a high skill ceiling. Teleporting Brakka 9 spaces with Ezzik and Overcharge active to finish off a summoner will be a delicious end game.
>>
>>92692712
How much goblin factions left from the OG game?
I like the game, but it's always the same races.
>>
>>92692829
not sure I understand your question.
1st edition had Cave goblins and Sand goblins, and we've since seen them released for 2nd edition.
The only 1e factions we have not seen get 2nd E treatment so far would be the Filth (give them to me NOW, Colby), Mercenaries, Deep Dwarves, and Guild Dwarves.
>>
File: arctic-scavangers.png (3.07 MB, 1200x1192)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB PNG
I'm looking for a good high rez scan of all of the cards or a PDF with all the cards so that I can print them.
>>
>>92693004
I hope you're not doing this to save money anon
Should be easy enough to get on the secondary market
>>
File: 1c.png (95 KB, 1628x605)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
Do you agree?
Are people really not that interested in modern warfare?
Is this why Seal Team Flix spiritual sequel went for a more generic space theme?
>>
>>92693041
someone posted in this thread recently that they have a player who refuses to play Pax Pamir because it makes them think of Palestine. that's what we're dealing with here in genpop
>>
>>92693004
have you tried the TTS mod(s)?
>>
>>92693020
Well its half and half. I just really want to play the game. And I cant get my hands on it. But if I can and my friends like it as much as I do Ill def buy it. But the game is horribly expensive on the second hand market from what I looked at because of shipping. It would be like 10 euro cheaper then just buying it from a local store (that doesn't have it anymore) and at that point Id rater just give that money to the small local store.
Its play before you pay and you can only play so much with shitty printed cards.
>>
>>92693041
what game
>>
File: thats not a child.jpg (75 KB, 640x618)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>92693041
I dont play wargames but from what ive observed napoleonic times is the best time period. Other time periods are just memes for people pretending not to like napoleonics
>>
>>92693105
my friends dont have TTS. I was wondering if there was a way to extract the card pics/scans from there. I dont know how I would do it.
>>
File: httpiimgurcomyjL7p7ajpg.jpg (2.34 MB, 4980x4816)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB JPG
>>92693128
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Tabletop Simulator\Mods\Images

there you can see all the images youve loaded whne you opened a game.
>>
>>92693128
right click object (like a deck of cards)
press the "custom" option
copypaste the image link into any browser of choice
download and manipulate with image manip tool of choice to prepare for printing
>>
>>92693182
that's only if you have Mod Caching enabled and saving to the documents folder
it can also be saved in a different folder
>>
>>92693115
Nineveh
>>
>>92693182
>>92693190
Holy shit Anon thank you so much! I can't thank you enough!
>>
>>92692330
It depends what price. The remake of FCM was a huge rip-off. I'll buy Bus but not if I'm being extorted, and the rep and unavailability of the game right now, combined with the usual business ethics of Splotter, mean it probably will be extortionate.
>>
>>92692330
will they use the soulful map art?
>>
>>92678111
1942 is the best version of a&a by far
>>
>>92687583
You're a moron. I talk about a&a on this thread all the time
>>
Mage Knight Ultimate for 90$ free shipping no tax

Worth?
>>
>>92693124
what are the best napoleonic wargames with an operational or strategic scale
>>
>>92693492
Paladin's Oath is $12 and automated. Unless you're going to play multiplayer Mage Knight or you have an aversion to screens $90 is too much.
>>
>>92693492
Awesome game, but I prefer the most excellent TTS mod nowadays. Setting up big solo games just isn't worth it to me anymore. Vlaada might be the greatest designer of all time.
>>
>>92693564
Does Paladi's Oath have the Vokaire stuff as well? That game really has terrible UI. Just play the TTS mod.
>>
>>92693310
90$ through capstone, ~72$ on the retailer site preorders I'm seeing. Free shipping on mine. That's about right for a Splotter preorder.

>>92693324
Doesn't look like it but it looks like they're using more wooden deluxe components than the last one. The OG map was hard to read, looks like they're going with the cleaner version.
>>
File: vape tournament.jpg (434 KB, 960x611)
434 KB
434 KB JPG
>>92693513
I do not know myself, but I do have access to an 80 yo wargamer, I will seek his wisdom. Although itll take a few days
>>
>>92693041
Someone with more knowledge correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of the war on terror has been mostly guerilla tactics and drone striking AFAIK and with Ukraines size against Russia they have been pushed to do the same, super big conflicts where you have one massive army stand in front of the other is a really a thing of the past nowadays I believe, and the latter is more interesting to people?

I don't have much experience with war games and history in general, but I'm much more interested in nineveh and doing modern combat that later ages if I had to choose
>>
File: 1712343062512518.gif (183 KB, 483x360)
183 KB
183 KB GIF
>>92692712
>someone asked PlaidHat if they could turn SW into a co-op or solo game
I hate people so much
>>
>>92694425
pay the solotax piggy.

Dunno why people are like this. Its like buying a sports car and complaining it doesnt have a lot of space in the trunk
>>
>>92693564
Some of us like owning physical things.
>>
>>92694645
You don't "own" Paladin's Oath nor any digital or physical server tied game
You merely have the permision of the publisher to play the game until they or the store owners say otherwise
Boards game, on the other hand, you own and can do whatever the hell you want with them
>>
>>92694699
Exactly my point.
>>
File: mae knight.png (24 KB, 766x423)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
Bought it. Gonna play with my gf
>>
>>92694699
you do keep your proof of purchase chits right anon?
>>
Looking for a suggestion:

I have a bunch of board games in English. But now I need to learn German, so I want to buy a German-language board or card game in order to practice. It should be good at 2-player, none of that 3+ stuff; I will be playing with a German. I don't want to read a book of text, nor do I want loads of symbols without words, but rather somewhere in the middle. What I think would work well is a game with different sentences which pop up regularly which I must parse each time, but the game will still move along at a good clip. I probably won't play anything that's like 2+ hours either, preferably something under an hour.
Thanks for taking the time to read.
>>
>>92694425
it could be interesting to have a solo mode at least on the app, like Slay the Spire but actually good
but it can also be a good standalone, with "from the creators of Summoner Wars" on the cover
>>
>>92695031
So Clover or Codenames (Duet is for 2p, normal for 4+p team play), are all about words and associations, if you can find a german language variant it could help you learn it by using it
Clank has a bit of text on cards, and a bunch of phrases that repeat like "if you have another Ally in play, [do thing]", so maybe that could be good too.
>>
>>92695413
i'm pretty sure SW online has a "story mode" now. not sure what it is
>>
>>92694425
>New game entry on the gulag
>One of the first 5 threads inevitably is one titled "Solo mode?"
At this point I choose to believe its Turczi using his alt gulag accounts to make a few bucks for yet another horribly designed solo mode noone will play anyway.
>>
>>92681079
The black exile visits every game in the geek top 100. Chapter 55
>>
File: Pandemic: Gay.png (2.08 MB, 1200x878)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB PNG
>>92695740
>>
File: exile batcha boy.png (489 KB, 827x890)
489 KB
489 KB PNG
>>92695899
>>
File: exile judgment.jpg (26 KB, 462x121)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>92696086
>>
>>92694854
Next time you want to throw nearly a hundred dollars down the drain, lmk. You are going to HATE that game
>>
File: STK339905.jpg (1.15 MB, 900x900)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
>>92693020
Tannhauser guy, are you still here? I wanted to buy your copy. Do you remember me at all? I still want it, dude, just been patiently waiting all of these years
>>
>>92697147
Why? Apart from the annoyingly long setup and teardown times, it's pretty good. Gets a little cluttered at 3+ players though.
>>
>>92697414
You said it yourself "it's pretty good". ????? Are you on drugs, man
>>
>>92694854
We got another one boys
>>
>>92697273
I've never seen anyone except sam healey talk about it. Which for me translates into exceeding likelyhood of it being trash
>>
I have been playing quite a bit of Summoner Wars 1e. Do you guys know any games with a similar competitive head to head feel for 2-3 players?
PS: I actually managed to play Dune for the first time.
>>
>>92694854
I was gonna make a sexist joke but I have a feeling women would be really good at this game. There are some games that seem to click better with women for some reason
>>
>>92697790
Root. Wait, what was the question again?
>>
>>92697790
>I have been playing quite a bit of Summoner Wars 1e.
You the guy that recently bought the master set box?
How you finding it?
>>
>>92697776
That's so interesting. No, please, do go on
>>
>>92696156
I KNEW it.
>>
>>92699005
It's good I've gotten around 10 games out of it already.
>>
>>92699800
Sweet.
Any faction or playstyle in particular that stands out to you?
>>
>>92688829
>just a question of why play it over a non-COIN 2p game like Twilight Struggle?

maybe I just don't need to coup Iran every day
maybe I'm just curious to see if someone has finally invented a hidden movement game that doesn't suck
maybe hobbits would really hit it off with morgoth and gandalf is just a huge dick
maybe the Gifu crossroads just aren't all that cool anymore
>>
>>92694854
nice, take your time with the walkthrough scenario
the game is relatively straightforward once you get a hang of it but there's always the Ricky Royal vids if it's not clicking (watch on 1.5x min)
>>
Did anyone build their own organizer for games?
Could you share some insights to go about it and/or tricks and hacks for it? Maybe even a shoplist suggestion
>>
File: 1714320569845549.jpg (804 KB, 1600x931)
804 KB
804 KB JPG
>>92701140
I'm no expert or anything but when I make boxes for my games I simply use grayboard and cover it with wrapping paper or a similar material, leaving flaps on both the ends and at the bottom so I can glue them in, if you look at the Clank Box that has more divisions I tuck the flaps inside the wrapping paper to have a tighter resistance and also to hide some of the ugly looking handcraft.
>>
I spent the day playing Pax Ren on BGG and it made me realise that games without engine-building are boring and old-fashioned. When your opening actions are the same as your endgame ones it just feels like playing chess: chess harder. The entire experience felt anemic and pointless, its full of bloated chrome and mechanics that will show up once in 50 games, I couldn't believe something so formal came out in 2016 when COIN solved all these problems back in 2012
I also found it weird that in a game about bankers you do not banking and money generally doesn't matter. You can't even amass wealth and bribe your way to victory.
>>
>>92701333
You play as bankers in all Daddy Eklund games because he's an obsessive libertarian. Other than that, nice bait. Personally I find excessive engine building gay (pejorative).
>>
File: retarded 2.gif (768 KB, 480x267)
768 KB
768 KB GIF
>>92701333
>>
>>92701333
I kind of agree that it feels old fashioned but to me its a plus. Its nice to have a game with all the modern memes: player boards, asymmetrical player powers, trannie stuff etc
>>
>>92701333
Nigga Pax Ren is an engine builder
>>
>>92701483
>calling a tableau an engine
Do you try to power your car with a Mondrian?
>>
When somebody says yes to playing a game with you but doesn't really sound interested do you go through with it?
>>
>>92701574

nah
>>
>>92701574
Sure, they might just be tired in the moment. Give them at least one chance to see if they're interested, then just don't invite them back if they're not worth it.
>>
>>92701483
Engine is something that allows you to employ efficiency and synergies to achieve more in a single turn as the game goes on. In simplest terms, its bake 3 cookies to get 3$ and pay 3$ to buy cookie baker that allows you to bake 10 cookies. I'm obviously talking from a novice perspective but I saw none of that in PR. Your tableau grows in size but it almost doesn't matter cause you can still only take 2 isolated actions at a time. There's a couple of ruler-breakers like Michaelangelo doubling trade profits but they're rare and cards are usually bought for their one-shot effects.
>>
>>92700367
>Twilight Struggle
>???????
>War for the Ring
>Sekigahara
>>
>>92701600
I would enjoy playing with you so little.
>>
>>92701600
Show me the best engine building game right now motherfucker.
>>
>>92701333
>I also found it weird that in a game about bankers you do not banking and money generally doesn't matter.
It's heavily abstracted. Your pawns are offices loaning money to peasants and purchasing cards is giving loans to affluent figures. Money coming from the market is returns on your investments.

If you want to pretend you're Ebeneezer Scrooge counting individual bits of money while committing usury there's always Young Jacob Marley. https://crabfragmentlabs.com/jacob-marley
>>
>>92701600
>you can still only take 2 isolated actions at a time.
You can run 10 ops off one action if you want to.
>>
>>92701789
explain?
>>
>>92702034
The "run ops" action runs as many ops as you'd like. The limitations are:
* you may run at most one op from each card
* all ops must be from cards in the same tableau
And because PaxRen doesn't allow vacuous actions:
* you must run at least one op (you can't burn the action doing nothing)
* you can only do the "run ops" action once per turn per tableau (you can't burn a second action doing something you could have done on the first action)
>>
>>92701600
So you're just playing cookie clicker: the boardgame?
>>
File: 20240504_145619.jpg (2.43 MB, 3024x2768)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
What the fuck am i in for
>>
>>92701659
Also asking for this
>>
>>92702215
>>92701659
Kanban
>>
>>92700068
Sorry for the time had to go do something.
I'd say benders stand out to me. The Vargath are also just undeniably powerful.
As for playstyle I lean towards a blitzkreig style of a quick offensive trying to catch them of guard.
>>
>>92701659
Agricola is still the GOAT
>>92702235
also this, you literally build engines lmao. Just get an older edition without the reddit art
>>
man why didnt i keep up with the updates to BattleCon
using force (which acts like the super bar from fighting games) as a timer is cool, but changing Aria's super from "you and droids can ping-pong an enemy up to 4 times total if any one can connect" to "slap an enemy and if you do, droids give extra damage when the enemy passes them by after you push/pull" is such a downgrade i cant ever touch her again after this
and also the fact that the BattleCon wiki is so ugly and bad for navigation doesnt help at all
>>
>>92702034
East ops and West ops both use all cards in your tableau, so if you get 10 cards in East tableau (be they cards or king/respublic tiles) each of them can do an Ops and that shit stacks up majorly with good card buys
Remove 4 units from the map, steal cash from the buy rows, and launch campaigns against the places you removed units from with the cash you just got, it's brilliant when it works
>>
>>92702209
definitely not sex
>>
>>92702511
>Agricola is still the GOAT
How's Nusfjord
>>
File: 1684066995642690.png (3.37 MB, 1920x1080)
3.37 MB
3.37 MB PNG
>Alexander Pfister (Port Royal, Broom Service, Great Western Trail) is designing a digital deck-building game called Demon Loop that will be released by Magnolia Games.
the track record of bgg designers gone digital has been pretty shoddy, this doesn't instill much confidence
>>
>>92702511
I still have to wrap my ahead around Agricola being an engine builder. It probably is, but when you spend 90% of the game getting it going and doesn't have that more typical ramp up you'd see in Le Havre, it never makes me think "this is an engine building game"
>>
>>92702837
As long as those designers are crap like Pfister nothing of value is lost.
Seriously, he's the most overrated German designer I've ever seen.
>>
>L99 has removed games from their website that they no longer stock.
>This includes Sakura Arms
Guys I think Bakafire might have revoked the rights and given them to Korean Board Games.
>>
>>92703327
Maybe they'll have a decent translation, boards that aren't shit and the actual playmat
>>
>>92703327
hope the KBG printrun includes new megamis and alts and a better fucking set of keywords than what L99 had
>>
>>92703327
RIP in peace in pieces.
>>
>>92703327
>>
>>92703327
I'm happy with my AEG version
>>
>>92703327
... so... is that a no on a reprint campaign?
>>
>>92703327
>battlecon and empyreal also removed
What did Brad Talton JR mean by this.
>>
File: oneofthoseweeks.gif (4.58 MB, 498x280)
4.58 MB
4.58 MB GIF
Oath is good
>>
>>92703569
they're removed from the top bar but there's a funky menu where you can still find the page for Battlecon Devastation (remastered for BCv4) and click it and see it's sold out
>>
Just started playing Mojo on bga, can't get enough of it. highly interactive, betting...kind of like scout, in the way you can impact your opponents
>>
>>92695899
ah. the spread of AIDS
>>
>>92703643
I want to play Oath so much, but I have a hard time even getting people together for a short and easy game now
>>
>>92703918
I just looked at it, saw it's another trick taking game with a slight twist and almost didn't bother. So I looked at the tutorial and then stopped bothering.

Now, I like trick taking if applied in a broader game context like in Brian Boru, but the smallbox card trick taking games with a slight twist tire me immensely, and I've not even played many of them. Is this something people are just into or not, or is this more of an acquired taste in how small and quick can a game be whilst still being good?
>>
>>92687327
Deep Rock Galactic is surprisingly good
>>
>>92704116
>tfw all my attempts to find playgroups at "nearby" game stores (incl. ones an hour drive away) have fizzled and I'm stuck playing with family every couple weeks
Hard, HARD cap on how much complexity I can put in front of them. They were struggling with Cascadia with card set A.
>>
>>92703327
It's weird that they just purged everything. God knows where all the unsold stock went to.
>>
>>92702209
awkward handjobs and regret
>>
>>92690606
>Pericles
It has to be the easiest of the Herman games (rules wise), but god damn is it a strategic/tactical nightmare.
>>
In HansaT is it bad sportsmanship to collaborate with another player displace each other's pieces to improve your action economy?
>>
>>92705604
I'd agree that the hard part is not learning it but learning how to play it well. I still wouldn't call it easy; found both churchill and versailles 1919 far easier to learn and grasp, and the movement and redeployment rules stubbornly refused to stay in my head.

The real problem is that I'd really like to play it but I'm at the uncomfortable position where the group would need a refresher on, well, everything. And for some reason that's subjectively a far bigger obstacle than learning something new for some reason.
>>
I had a nightmare last night where my cards where breaking through the sleeves
>>
Dune > Arnak
prove me wrong
>>
>>92706660
i'm curious, was there background music?
>>
>>92706772
i don't remember more details
>>
>>92705604
>It has to be the easiest of the Herman games (rules wise)
We the People/Washington's War is far and away the easiest game he's made.
No I'm not counting Fort Sumter that game sucks.
>>
>>92706690
If you mean imperium/uprising/og dune, I can't
>>
Ok lads, it's time for the hard questions
Rank rosenberg's A-Tier:
>Le Havre
>Agricola
>Affo

I mean it obviously is Agricola>affo>le havre but I'd like to see if there is a consense. Feel free to add other Rosenbergs to the list you consider A-Tier
>>
>>92706823
i'm calling bullshit then
>>
>>92706966
Agricola.
That's it.
It's the only game with actual competition and without a fixed strategy. The rest is either monotonous after few games (le havre) or a glorified solo exp with so many action spaces it hurts (affo)
>>
>>92707061
I can"t really dismiss your points entirely, but I'm not sure if I'd call le havre monotonous. The dynamic can change significantly with how the buildings come out and how absurd the special buildings are. Case in point, I recently played a game where food was very scarce because the docks were hidden deep in the pile as well as the, idk what to call them, refinement buildings? The ones where you smoke fish, slaughter cows or bake bread.
Though I have played it only 5 or so times. I CAN see how certain dynamics will stay the same every game (like the endgame fight for steel and energy) and the acquiring and selling of buildings didn't turn out to be as fluent as I had hoped; we found buying/selling buildings to get actions just when you need them ultimately isn't worth it; the tempo advantage is largely much smaller than the vp loss that comes with selling stuff.
>>
File: 1714063777568801.jpg (89 KB, 680x669)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>92707061
Agricola is just an excellent game. I'm just too old to fight over the internet with people who throw smack on this game. Agricola is magnificent.

Sunday mayday bros, could anyone share their experience with 51 State? Does it work with 2 players? Do you think that is possible to teach a woman during one evening to actually have fun?

Have a nice Sunday my dearest friends.
>>
My big games até

Dune
El dorado
Root
Red Rising
Chinatown
Roll player
Flamecraft

What tô do with my new 3d print?
What tô do in general with a 3d printar in bg
>>
Looking for recommendations for 2 players games
the wife likes game where you build/grow in power, played a lot of castles of burgundy/terraforming mars/ark nova/everdell but I am getting tired of those
we tried a couple that didnt hit with us: grand austria hotel (too short), great western trail (no sense of progression), 7wonders (not enough choice), arnak (too much focus on temple)

any recommendations you guys would have?
I liked RftG but it didn't click with her, so I'm hesitant to try Innovation. Agricola is a hard no for her due to the stress of feeding your people
>>
File: 1000157086.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>92697790
>Do you guys know any games with a similar competitive head to head feel
Neuroshima hex! 3.0
War chest
Tash-kalar
Onitama
Unmatched
Sakura Arms
BattleCon
Ashes: Reborn
Exceed / Street Fighter / Guilty Gear
Android: Netrunner
Crystal Clans
Pixel Tactics
Mage Wars Arena / Mage Wars Academy
Black Rose Wars: Rebirth
BattleLore
>>
File: 1688013710445222.jpg (213 KB, 1024x768)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faopOuoPQak
Holy slop
>>
File: 1700732637370162.jpg (87 KB, 611x600)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>92707954
Damn, bloodstones looks like THAT?!
I am excited to get it second hand.
>>
>>92707907
Also:
Mindbug
Blue Moon Legends
Pagan: Fate of Roanoke
Mantis Falls
>>
>>92707800
Any deckbuilder. Start with Dominion.
>>
>>92702209
How did you like it?
>>
>>92707424
Why are you eating board games? It's too much carbs in that wood and cardboard, and you'll get a stomachache from the plastic. Yuck. And don't get me started on the 3d printer fillings, it's like a full chemical factory in there and none of the chems are good to eat.
Eat a videogame instead. The crunchy insides of an old cartridge (once you open and discard the outer plastic shell) are full of Iron, Gold, Copper, and other minerals that are good for your body!
>>
>>92707800
Any deckbuilder. Start with Quest for El Dorado.
>>
>>92707061
Agricola was an is a very awkward design that Rosenbergsteinwitz wisely avoided in his future games. It's a card game welded on top of the euro formula, which at the very least forces the players to go through long and painful drafting round since nobody bothered to balance the cards and rainroads the players into doing what they say. Le Havre elegantly combined the farm tableau and cards in one neat package, and while you may call AFFO (or Caverna) bulky and excessive, at least in those games once you learn the board, you learn the game. In Agricola you need to learn over 9000 decks for every letter in the alphabet
>>
>>92707907
>>92708009
Why are 2p games so based?
>>
>>92683476
I only play Dominion unsleeved. I need to feel the cards, otherwise I can't cum.
>>
Started playing lotr lcg again, but only using the OG core set from god knows when and recommended decks I found online. I've tried the third scenario at least 4 times and get crushed every single time, so I'm guessing it's time to move on and get a new expansion set. Where should I begin? I'm considering getting a couple of starter decks (elfs and gondor probably) and then what would you recommend? The fellowship of the ring set? I'm guessing it includes two scenarios from the previous edition?
>>
File: 8.png (400 KB, 318x578)
400 KB
400 KB PNG
>>92703013
>crap
/bgg/ is broomservice-pilled
>>
How's septima? Just got it as a gift and didn't even know it existed. Got little room for new games so if it's not very good, it might end up on ebay before I unbox it
>>
>>92708125
>>92708047
didn't click with Dominion either, we played El dorado a couple of times but I don't see myself playing it 50+ times
>>
>>92703327
>Sakura arms releasing in the west a third fucking time
cursed game
>>
>>92707800
>game where you build/grow in power
Some of the ones I've played recently and enjoyed:
>Gizmos
>Moon
>Crusaders: Thy Will Be Done
>Empyreal
>Wingspan
I played them all at 3 or 4, so I'm not sure how good they are at 2.
>>
>>92703327
>SA is out of stock
nani the fuck. I guess my schizo theory of them holding a new run of SA hostage until they sold out their old stock isnt true then.

and im still playing my AEG copy
>>
>>92709225
>spoiler
Missing out on some really fun Megami.
Love the girls in the Lvl99 Saine box.
>>
>>92693513
>>92693564
The Napoleonic Wars by GMT according to him
>>
>>92707954
in multiplayer it's generally not advisable to stack that many units. which is why i think some usability critiques of the game are a bit overblown
>>
>>92709091
thanks, will check it out (outside of BIRDS)
>>
>>92709091
I'd feel bad suggesting empyreal to someone looking for a 2p game
>>
>>92708297
>long and painful drafting rounds
The draft lasts 5 minutes at most, this is the dumbest criticism I've ever read.
>>
>>92706690
Different strokes, different folks. I like the worker placement and asymmetric powers better in base D:I and the deckbuilding better in Arnak. Leaders expansion and new temples solve most of the symmetry and worker placement issues in Arnak.

The D:I player base also consists of some of the worst people at my game clubs. Arnak is casual good time fun that does a great job of filtering out shithead tryhards.
>>
>>92707954
It's very pretty but incredibly too long. Our 4p game took hours and most of us were ready to put it up after about 2 hours.
>>
>>92710018
I also think that criticising the draft is kinda dumb because it's what makes the game so varied and interesting... But 5 minutes? How on earth would you do that. I should say that I (and probably the other anon) talk about everyone getting 10 occs+10 developments (or whatever they are called) and draft 2 cards until everyone has 7/7
>>
>>92710026
How is symmetry a problem?
It's actually the opposite: whenever designers try to introduce variable powers like the leaders in the expansion, they force you to follow a specific strategy, since every leader is better at doing certain things, and they are often not so well balanced and some are just better than others.
Variable player powers are a trap more often than not.
>>
>>92710220
Try playing on BGA and time it.
It takes more only if the players are complete beginners, and even in that case we're not talking about 20 minutes or so.
>>
>>92706690
I can't
one is interesting and varied
the other is climb the temple with some minigames attached
>>
File: 1680883400047022.png (393 KB, 1137x860)
393 KB
393 KB PNG
>>92709225
Guess I'll pick up an extra copy set of boxes for mirror matches.
>>
>>92710233
We've played some 50 games, physically and on bga. I don't think it took less than 10 minutes. And now that I've written this I realize I haven't played it live on bga which I can see speeding up the process considerably.
>>
Since Helldivers 2 is going to shit and I want to spend some time off the computer while still having the itch to play some coop tactical games, what would you anons recommend??
>>
>>92710345
I've done more than 400 games on BGA, and the draft never took more than 10 minutes.
Playing for real would probably require few minutes more, but that's it.
>>
Spirit Island
>>
>>92710362
if you wanna shoot bugs and do missions, DRG the board game is okay. Some parts are annoying, like how you need to roll dice just to dig a hole, but other than that it's a nice translation of the vidya.
all other tactical games i could suggest are competitive versus, but still fun because sometimes a punch-out slugfest can be fun too
>>
>>92710666
Speaking of which, now that the shipping-related shitstorm is over, who got to try the new spirits? Favourite ones? They all look quite strong compared to old ones, as they can do a bit of everything.
>>
>>92710722
God Tier:
hearth vigil: Basically THE op dahan spirit. It makes thunder speaker look even worse
Dances Up Earthquakes: Complex and fun
Stompy turtle guy: BIG STOMP

GOOD TIER:
Delerium guy
Sun guy with the bad art

Kind of difficult to understand and not that good tier:
Shadows up your spione

Kind of just not fun tier
ROOTS (only played once tho)
>>
File: Capture.png (528 KB, 600x388)
528 KB
528 KB PNG
>>92710666
killl.....me..........
i can't be fixed...............................
>>
>>92709451
Do you know how hard it is to get Sakura girls in Europe? The fact I found an aeg box on some non-boardgaming marketplace for 15 euros was a miracle
>>
>>92710993
>thunderspeak
>the most broken spirit
>even worse
How

Do you like incarna? Is it an interesting new mechanic?
>>
>>92710227
I don't think it's always a problem but it's definitely a problem in base Arnak because 1.) you are really forced to rely on moving up the Snake/Bird temple to gain points and perks and 2.) in the case of Bird temple, a lot of what you need to move up the temple track are in the base camp spots so there's a first mover bias that's not really fixed by starting compasses and coins.

Leaders give you at least two ways to score more points without having to spend all of your time moving up tracks. The temples are better integrated with the game - one of them requires you to spend an idol marker to research further which requires you to have moved to an unexplored location prior.
>>
>>92711168
It could be fixed but would require a complete reprint of the board. Not going to happen.

>>92711205
Maybe I'm just bad at thunderspeaker but there are far more powerful spirits. As for incarna it is a fun mechanic, they act sacred sites as well as having powerful abilities. It does feel a little underutilized though. The only very high complexity spirit doesn't use one. In fact only 4 of the spirits have incarnas. There are incarnas added for currently existing spirits like thunderspeaker and I think the anglerfish forest guy.
>>
>>92711419
So no one told you dice were gonna roll this way
>>92711419
Your group's a joke, you're broke, your design's DOA
>>92711419
It's like you're always stuck in solo tier
>>92711419
And yet you haven't gamed today, this week, this month
>>92711419
Or even this year, but
>>92711419
Turczi's there for you (when the tears starts to pour)
Turczi's there for you (Arkham needs another core)
>>92711419
Turczi's there for you
'Cause the bot's player two
>>
>>92707907
>BattleLore
As always, C&C Ancients and Napoopan are better versions of the same system.
>>
>>92707954
5/10 from Daniel is all I needed to hear.
>>
>>92693124
>I dont play wargames
You could have just stopped right here. Napoleonics is largely the domain of /hwg/ where they're more interested in making dioramas than games. WW2, Ancients, and the ACW are way more popular for wargaming.
>>
>>92711168
give it a better energy gain track and/or make his passive where you can use his powers in dahan areas free
>>
File: kind of retarded.jpg (27 KB, 680x378)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>92711626
why, The combination of arms and historical content seems to make it far better for wargamging than ancients
>>
>>92711669
The main issue is that Napoleonics only covers an (admittedly quite dense) 20 or so years of history where everyone fought roughly similarly.
Ancients covers thousands of years and has a lot more asymmetry in how different cultures fought.
Of course that isn't to say that Napoleonics isn't popular, it is. But far and away the most gamed gunpowder era was is the American Civil War (even if its largely due to the bias of wargame creators more than anything else).
>>
>>92711724
From what ive observed that kind of stuff gets abstracted away a lot. Like, germans and americans shooting eachother dont get modifiers for bolt action versus semi auto. Or carthaginian and roman soldiers being functionally identical in combat. Mostly the deployment is different
>>
File: 1686767092459102.gif (3.87 MB, 539x410)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB GIF
>>92711582
Based Daniel appreciator
>>
>>92711775
>germans and americans shooting eachother dont get modifiers for bolt action versus semi auto
That's...just not true. The differences are usually built into the unit's innate stats.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.