[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1696483095108588.jpg (47 KB, 484x464)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>player gets mind controlled by bad guy
>gets told to attack party
>party members all insist he isn't part of the group, they don't like him and he's shit to be around
I had to pause and leave the game, and then come back to the usual "Oh, you don't like jokes?!" attitude these guys give me. Why are players so quick to turn on each other just to avoid some damage?
>>
That doesn't happen in my groups, my players even like doing PvP. But they tend to default to "All player characters are blood brothers the second they meet."
>>
>>92707852
Looks like your group is more into power gaming than roleplaying.
My group usually has problem when dm tries to throw moral problems like whole city dies. No one of our group never really puts their life on the line for other people. Although I've said that DM is wasting his time with those things, we never go help people for goodness of our heart.
>>
>>92707863
Same
>>
>>92707852
In my group PCs frequently risk their own lives to rescue a comrade in need or die trying. Maybe yours just doesn't like you?
>>
>>92708416
It's almost comical how quick most groups decide their characters are inseparable brothers-in-arms. Like it's been a week in game and you guys already will fight to the death to protect one another.
Though, it reminds me of old pulp heroes like John Carter who is always willing to die for the random ally he met five minutes ago. So TRPG parties are like the last vestige of heroic fiction.
>>
>>92707852
9 times out of 10 there's no downside to getting PCs killed as long as it's not TPK. Party gets to keep the dead character's gear and the dead characters player(s) can easily make new character(s), exact same as the one(s) that just died - or even different one if they feel like re-specing.
The only exception are GM's that somehow penalize making new character - but those are pretty rare nowadays.
>>
File: JohnChance_GodMode.gif (10 KB, 576x480)
10 KB
10 KB GIF
>>92707852
>mfw played paladin
>mfw our fighter got mind controlled
>order everyone else to leave the area, seal the door behind them as a noble act of sacrifice
>rather than drawing my sword, begin to pray for my patron to take this cup of bitterness from me
>GM gives me resistance to physical damage and an inspiration dice after two turns of refusing to fight the mind controlled comrade
>I'm bloodied, beaten and bruised as I continue to pray
>mfw round three after I'm down to a third of my health remember I have cleansing touch, something the entire table remembered earlier than me
>beat the AC with a touch, dispel the magical minds control, all of us at the table have a laugh out of character
I love tabletop
>>
>>92709026
The downside is that you're a gigantic faggot.
>>
>>92708442
They kinda all depend on each others to survive encounters, and once that's done even just once, welp, clearly the others can be trusted. You don't need much.
>>
>>92709852
Yeah, that makes sense. It's just notable how that's pretty rare these days outside of TTRPG parties but it used to be very common.
>>
>>92709026
The downside is getting dropped from groups who don't want to deal with your shitty attitude
>>
>>92708442
In real life, people who go through a single intense experience together and survive it will be more emotionally vulnerable towards each other and loyal to each other even when they have no cause to be. If that happens over and over again, then the fact that they share these experiences becomes more important than personality compatibility, belief systems, and practicality. It's part of our pack instinct. Bonds proven in blood are hardest to break.
>>
>>92707852
Don't get it. Players are the people sitting at the table. Party members are the fictional characters in a make believe world. Worries aside about how it was, hopefully, the pc not the player who got mind controlled, why are you worried that the other make believe people say that they don't like the make believe mind controlled person who is attacking them?
>>
>>92708442
it's kind of easy when you're playing with a group of people who'd call each other friends
>>
>>92707852
One. Poor group cohesion.

Two. See Campbel's conceptulazation of the Hero's quest. Refusal of the call.

Three. Testing and jockying for position.

Four. Your players are dickwads. Be aware and plan for that.
>>
>>92707852
Anon I've never seen anything like this happen, I think your players might just be sociopaths.
>>
File: 61j+NAmP3yL[1].jpg (75 KB, 386x500)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>92707852
Maybe this game is more their speed.
>>
File: himari_cry.png (74 KB, 230x230)
74 KB
74 KB PNG
>>92707863
>>92708442
I want your fucking groups.
>>
>>92709308
You just needed an excuse to get molested and do magic touches to the fighter.
>>
>>92719665
Whenever you start a campaign, tell the players how they know each other.
>"You all came here because you're personal friends of Dr Wanker."
>"You are all coworkers at the security company and work the same shift."
>"After a good night at the tavern with a lot of better drink you decided to take up adventuring for fame and glory."
and suddenly they're friends to not violate the consistency. The guy who says that this didn't happen and you're violating his agency? That guy is a problem you need to deal with. Better now than 5 sessions in.
>>
File: halosmoke.png (399 KB, 494x677)
399 KB
399 KB PNG
>>92707852
>players opt to reverse psychology troll the bad guy
>DM just doesn't get it
Don't add more details OP, I want to believe.
>>
>>92719969
Yeah, you're right, just hold a gun to your fellow player's heads and pretend to be the GM.
>>
>>92707852
What do you mean? That's just good strategy. If you can make it convincing enough, he won't attack you.
>>
>>92707882
That is good roleplaying, moron.
>>
>>92708416
Wait, are you guys actually stupid? This is exactly what you would expect to happen if the characters genuinely care about each other. It's the most effective strategy to ensure nobody gets hurt, if it works.
>>
>>92714382
No, if they were sociopaths they just would have killed him.

Genuinely, do you guys really not get what they were doing? You're not actually this braindead, right?
>>
>>92714356
Miss on all four. Sad.
>>
>>92712446
What attitude?
>>
>>92723529
Did you reply to the wrong post?
>>
>>92723644
"Maybe yours just doesn't like you".
This is obviously false, as I explained in my post.
Please learn to read before posting again.
>>
>>92707852
I don’t get it, how would them saying that let them to avoid being attacked?
>>
>>92708442
If a given character dies, it means you have to make a new one either now (stopping the game) or later (we all get to watch you twiddle your thumbs while we play), utilitarially; the absolute best thing for our enjoyment of the game is to keep your character alive, even if that's slightly out of character for my hypothetical Lawful Evil Functioning Psychopath Assassin or Faceless Man Avatar, I can bullshit that though"You're still useful to me." or some shit.
>>
>>92723547
I'm not trying to talk about YOUR specific group, you asocial sperg. Just common shit that happens. Feel free to complete the thought of what your group is up to, as my off the cuff post may very well have missed something obvious.
>>
>>92723523
In a way yes, my problem wasn't really with the players, but the DM. The ''whole city dies'' doesn't create any drama or a quest for group of adventurers who don't care. Its another thing if he just says the logical outcomes of party's actions though.
>>
>>92723829
I can only assume that you're illiterate, schizo, or both.

>>92728544
This.
>>
>>92723503
Lucky for you I have a solution even if you aren't the GM!
>Hey, GM, what if we start the campaign with us all knowing each other ahead of time?
>Okay.
And as a bonus I'll even give you the solution to what you do if you aren't the GM and also this is a problem in an ongoing campaign with established characters!
>Guys, I don't really enjoy playing if we're all going to abandon each other. We should try to be more cohesive, can we do that?
WOW! It's literally that simple! Talking to each other like mature individuals that have left the developmental stage known as 'children'! Mundane problems require mundane solutions.
>>
>>92730514
The other players say no, because their backstory is so cool and important and awesome.
What now, faggot?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04xOsNW7zTA
>>
>>92733987
Make genric the ______ and put yourself into their story
Make Joy LovingGuy and become the emotional heart that makes the group stick
Be an assertive player and make the party follow your plans through sheer force
>>
>>92733987
why are you playing games where your character has a background story before you even show up to the game? isn't it more fun to create it and/or discover it as you play?
>>
>>92733987
You stop playing with them because they seem like they're not fun people to play with. With how they're described by what doesn't work, they sound like insufferable people to be around, much less spend hours with on a regular basis.
>>
>>92707852
my players once sold out the annoying player to get his ass railed by wasteland raiders, they only asked for a joint in return
>>
>>92707852
Anon, I think you might have autism. It sounds like the player was told to attack the party, and some people started cracking obvious jokes about being safe because because they secretly hate each other (which they don't, that's part of the obvious joke), and your lack of ability to read social situations made you think the people laughing and cracking jokes were serious, so you sperged out and left, probably confusing everyone else at the table.
>>
>>92734500
No it's more important that my level 1 rogue is a top tier assassin who's already killed a demon lord.
>>
>>92734500
Most TRPGs I've played have origin tables with keystone defining moments in your PC's life that both give you a framework to develop a character off of as well as provide mechanical bonuses, i.e. "You were a bookworm growing up, grab an intellectual based skill/subclass" or "you reasons for leaving home to go on an adventure was you couldn't bear village life anymore/you needed money/you craved exotic cuisine". It's rarely more than a sentence or three, but it's always fun to have something to build off of. Technically even DnD has this stuff, it's just that DnD tries so hard to be setting agnostic that even its origin tables are painfully vague and useless for anything other than the mechanical benefits they provide.

The only real outlier to this I can think of is Tokyo NOVA, where the world is very meticulously designed and a big part of chargen is determining which NPCs you know and what your relationship with them is. It might not necessarily come up in game but they're real handy tools for a GM to have, especially if you want to contrive a meeting between multiple cyberpunks who happen to know the same NPC, such as an illegal street racer and a freelance detective happening to be on good terms with the same gossipmonger.
>>
>>92709308
>Your god is just sitting there watching and thinking 'Man this is heroic and noble and all but what kind of retards am I giving my power to?'
>>
>>92730514
>It's literally that simple!
No, you fucking retard, it's not. This assumes you have a GM that is willing to enforce such things, or players that want to do it. Hence the statement "I want your fucking groups", you illiterate fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>92734500
We're not talking about "background stories", just backgrounds and shared origins and motivations, sperganon.
>>
How the FUCK are bears immune to magic?

Explain yourself.
>>
>>92740381
>You are a mongoloid because I can't make a group of people who want to hang out and have fun together, have fun together
You get the groups you deserve.
>>
>>92740417
thick hides of fur
>>
>>92707852
>>92719665
stop playing with right wingers
>>
>>92734500
Campaign idea: Everyone starts as babies

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.