[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Eyes.jpg (44 KB, 340x499)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
Every GM should read Eyes of the Overworld before mastering a table.
>>
Why
>>
>>92716143
>old thing good
please explain if you want anyone to give a shit
>>
>>92716143
>starting at book2
sure thing bud
>>
>>92717057
>>92717076
It shows how to make interesting encounters when fleshing out the world, also handing evil PCs

>>92717096
This is the book one, Dying Earth is enterely disconnected.
>>
>>92717057
Gygax copied a lot of stuff from it, like the concept of magical items and the whole memorize spell systen..
>>
>>92717402
>It shows how to make interesting encounters when fleshing out the world, also handing evil PCs
No it doesn't. It shows how to write an interesting story with evil characters.
You're not a theatre kid are you?
>>
>>92716143
I have not read it, I will not read it, and I will continue to GM. What are you going to do about it?
>>
File: p2l1c54rw5751.jpg (71 KB, 864x1152)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
Cugel is literally me
>>
>>92716143
One of the funniest books I've ever read
>>
>>92716143
Simple as.
>>
Shame the official Dying Earth RPG sucks so much. Vance works should be more represented in general.
>>
>>92720530
>Shame the official Dying Earth RPG sucks so much.
Which one? The Dungeon Crawl Classics one, or the earlier RPG by Pelgrane Press? The Pelgrane Press one looked good to me.
>>
>>92720530
what's wrong with it?
>>
>>92716143
>t. never run or even played a single game in his life
What's the point of this whole para-social shit with /tg/, bucko? Why of all hobby boards you came to shitpost here?
>>
>>92719584
kek who would even be Iucounu?
>>
>>92716143
Sure.
>>
>>92721932
>>92725734
The Pelgrane Press one is pretty good imo. I mean it's storygame bullshit, you have to buy into that and accept that your character willl be swindled into doing something stupid some time, but it captures the vibes pretty well.

I guess you could complain that the magic system doesn't model the system presented in TDE perfectly, but you aren't going to be playing Turjan of Mir most of the time anyway.
>>
>>92720530
>that pic
I know it's dumb to complain about a Vance story being mean to its characters but the fate of the Derwe Coreme bums me out on every reread.
>>
>>92716143
It's a good story, but I think it is only a necessity if you are running a certain kind of pulp fantasy. Or possibly a very talky game like Vampire, where a bunch of characters are smugly loquacious and selfishly cunning.

I think everyone should give it a read/listen, though. You can find the audio book on YT
>>
>>92717076
NTA but it (along with the rest of Vance's work) is one of the largest influences on D&D, and specifically on the wizards of D&D, for whom Vance's wizards are undoubtedly the primary influence--to the point where D&D's magic system is called Vancian casting, not Gygaxian casting. Eyes of the Overworld features a wizard antagonist in all his weird, planes-traveling, outsider-enslaving, townsfolk-terrifying, vaguely-evil-but-mostly-just-selfish-and-vain glory. That wizard, along with the cadre in another of Vance's work, "Rhialto the Marvellous" are basically the platonic ideal of the D&D wizard, a bunch of untrustworthy, backstabbing, cowardly and tremendously powerful high-level demi-gods who bend reality to their will with essentially no regard to any kind of conscience or morality and bicker like schoolchildren when not actively trying to sabotage each other. They're great reads and anybody who's played any edition of D&D is going to appreciate just how much Gygax lifted directly from Vance.

Anyway I don't think I'd go so far as to call Vance required reading but if you do intend to read stuff from Appendix N, Dying Earth should be at or near the top of the list. Then read Conan and Elric.
>>
>>92732246
>Cugel almost went back to save her

They seem like such a cute couple.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.