[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240404_185004.jpg (849 KB, 4000x3000)
849 KB
849 KB JPG
Where do you play? Do you enjoy it?
I'm trying to decide to run a game at the game store, or maybe in one of the local libraries that lets you rent rooms for free (pic related).

The only areas I can think of are:
>Home
>Gaming Store
>Library Room
>Public Park
>Restaurant?
>Bar/Pub/Local Brewery?
>Student/College Places?
>Bookstores? (Barns and Noble, etc)
>Mall Food Court?
>>
>>92729316
Assuming you are a newfag
>I'm trying to decide to run a game at the game store
Don't
>maybe in one of the local libraries
Make sure how the timetable of the library works

Best place to game is the one everyone can easily and reliably access, has enough room for the group to be comfortable, there is an easy access to toilet and it's relatively quiet. As a bonus points, there is also an option for emergency sleeping place, but that depends on from how far the group comes.
Which in my case makes an allotment garden the perfect place to game, closely followed by a flat of one of the players.

Places to avoid: game stores, gaming bars, public greenery, any place that's gonna charge you any money for just being there, any place with free access of random strangers
>>
i play at home or friends' homes, myself, so I'm not much help.

for a restaurant, you'd want to coordinate with a manager to occupy a large table in an off-peak time for several hours. unless you're very familiar with the owner, you'll need to make a point of buying food and/or drink regularly (2 drink minimum at the table, or maybe a large lunch order each week). otherwise, the expectation is that you'll come in to eat and leave shortly thereafter. not to mention, they're very busy environments. still, the upside is that you'll always have players if you keep them fed. of course, if you expect them to pay for themselves, that upside goes away. people love free food more than food they gotta pay for.

>public park
you'll have the general public running around, and you can't have loose sheets of paper due to the possibility of wind so you'll need folders, but some parks might have shelters for rent. some, for only the cost of making a reservation, but you may not be able to reserve one over or around a holiday and the caretakers of the park may not want to keep one reserved for a long term. pf course, you can just lay out a blanket and game on the grass. 200% more likely to interest grilz.

>bar/pub/brewery
largely the same issues as the restaurant

>student/college places
great option if you have access (i.e. are a student) but your table will be limited practically to students at the college. this isn't a bad thing, necessarily. or you could establish a club with the college, and guarantee yourselves a location. also a good choice for getting grilz to the table.

>bookstores
coordinate with the manager but this likely won't be a problem. doubly so if you make a point of patronizing the store and encouraging your group to do the same.

>mall food court
you'd probably do just fine here. you probably won't even need to coordinate with anybody, but it'd still be a good idea to buy some food to justify your time spent there.
>>
>>92729544
>Places to avoid: game stores
Depends on the store, depends on the gaming bar, etc.
There is a small local gaming store near me that just has one big table and you just call and ask if it's free. I started there and still host games there.
>>
>>92732003
Ah, I see.
Please take your meds.
>>
>>92732003
Stop being afraid of everyone and everything.
>>
>>92729316
Playing at a Denny's is a rite of passage.
>>
>>92729316
>Where do you play? Do you enjoy it?
One of mate's usually hosts. He's done up one of the rooms in his house as a gaming room - lots of space, projector mounted above the table for battle maps etc, another projector facing the wall for miscellaneous images, antique swords and re-enactment supplies mounted on the walls, lots of dark glossy wood,. It's pretty comfy and yeah, I enjoy it.
Definitely not a sensible use of money on his part though. Sure, we have a good time there but we also had a good time playing with dry-erase markers on a laminated battle map sitting around a cramped sharehouse dining table. The increase in enjoyment is not in line with how much he spent.

Other than that I've played in a group that met in an RSL function room (RSL clubs are uniquely Australian drinking venue ostensibly operating as part of a charity for war vets but really just very spacious drinking and gambling venues with a lot of spare rooms they'll freely offer up to community groups that look like they might order a meal or a pint), a uni club that booked out a bunch of empty class rooms every week and various rooms within a 5* hotel (usually one of big suites but sometimes the ballroom or meeting room, wherever the manager/GM could squeeze us in)
>>
>>92729316
My kitchen table or tabletop simulator.

I kind of hate GMing in public. I've got to do the RPing part to draw other people in, and it makes me feel uncomfortable as a performance in front of people who aren't participating. It always has.
>>
File: 1714928650128049.jpg (46 KB, 499x338)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>92732003
>shekels
>newfag
>nigger
>bitchfags
>>
>>92736490
Yeah it's the /pol/ brainwashing. Edgy children come to 4chan because they think it's a super-secret clubhouse because someone made fun of it somewhere else on the internet. Occasionally they escape their containment board. Just shew them along, anon.
>>
>>92729316
my group plays out in the forest at night while wearing black robes and occasionally chanting something in latin
>>
>>92737597
I seriously want to do this once just to see how goofy or cool the vibes would be.
>>
>>92738672
frfr
>>
>>92729316
My group plays in the corporate office of a 'feed the homeless' type charity under the guise of outreach. If one of the hobos wanted to play we'd let them. None of them do, though.
>>
>>92738672
We played VtM in an abandoned mine once in the late 90s when we were all still in highschool, staying out all night playing by candlelight. Was spooky and sorta smelled like pee.
>>
>>92729316
I play in the same steam tunnels as those satanists who sacrificed James Dallas Egbert. Same room, too. There's still a little stain on the floor from where they pierced him with the ancient kris to get bonuses to their attack rolls!
>>
>>92729316
Libraries don’t work

We use our homes
>>
>>92729316
Either home or online.
Played at a gaming store once, didn't liked it at all.
>>92736426
>I kind of hate GMing in public.
My best friend developed an extreme hate TTRPGs when his old group of friend started playing D&D in a pub.
The amount of public ridicule they faced poisoned any future rpg endeavor for him, even though he wasn't even playing, just drinking at a safe distance.
>>
>>92729544
Game stores that charge you to use their tables are usually terrible and will ask you for more money than it’s worth. One where I live charges by the hour per person and can easily rack up to $500+ to have a decent time.

>>92733943
Those stores are a rare exception, and deserve the best.
>>92729910
When 4e came out we had a session in the back seating of a waffle house.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.