[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000008980.jpg (7 KB, 310x163)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
What are some good systems for solo play? As in I am both the DM and the player. All me.
>>
File deleted.
>>93185165
Free League has solo play for Forbidden Lands and The One Ring which is considered quite good. Ironsworn is probably a gold standard for solo play.

But I will say this: the rise of Solo play RPGs is a cancer to this hobby. So is the rise of discord roleplaying. This hobby thrives when it is at its most social. Likeminded men sitting around a table, bonding in their nerdiness. You lose something when you separate them into their respective discord corners. You lose even more when you forego the activity entirely and play solo. I implore you, anon, unless you are all alone in your town- please don't go down this route. Keep playing with friends. Keep this hobby as it was.
>>
Write a book.
>>
>>93185165
I really enjoy Scarlet Heroes because it's compatible with most Oldschool D&D adventures, and it makes you feel like Conan the Barbarian.
>>
Solo playing has its advantages. It's great for learning complicated systems without annoying more experienced players.
>>
>>93185206
Me in the back
>>93185165
How much experience do you have? What type system do you prefer?
>>
>>93185351
You're acting like people haven't written successful books using oracles.
>>
>>93185404
Oh yeah? Well you're acting like a FAGGOT
>>
>>93185430
What's the matter big boy, never had your cock sucked by a Dungeon Master before?
>>
>>93185165
Ironsworn is a lot of fun. I have the set that comes with cards, and the tactile element adds something to it, as well as reducing the amount of repetition.

>>93185217
You're on the wrong board.
>>
>>93185206
You are such a huge loser for going all The West Has Fallen about an activity that people have been doing since before D&D existed. Solo play is normal.
>>
>>93185487
You're probably right that I care a little too much about how other people spend their time. But the changes to this hobby over the last 50 years have done nothing but validate what me and other grogs have warned about. I think both online play and solo play are more destructive to the hobby than not and players lost to these- as well as players lost to fucking critical role/dimension 20 style theater kid play are missing out on what the hobby has to offer. Worse, as these styles of play get more popular it incentivizes the games of tomorrow to cater to them and we lose really meaningful and worthwhile methods from older eras.
>>
>>93185527
Solo players - you will never know they exist outside of theorycrafting an an RPG book.
Online "players" - refuse to play a game because it doesn't have VTT support
>>
If you’ll also accept video game recommendations, I bet you would probably enjoy King of Dragon Pass. It feels more like playing a very complex CYOA book instead of a video game, and it has an iOS port. It was developed by the guy who founded Chaosium. It takes place in RuneQuest’s Bronze Age fantasy setting, Glorantha.
>>
>>93185527
Gotta agree with the other guy, caring how other people enjoy the hobby is a faggot thing to do. Putting energy into being mad at people for having badwrong fun is way more pathetic than the dude playing solitaire.
>>
>>93185527
You think these people would be enjoying ttrpgs the way you enjoy them instead of not playing ttrpgs at all, but it doesn't feel like these people would do so.

Heart goes out to the forever DMs that only get to play solo.
>>
>>93185527
The trick is to just continue to raise successive generations of grognards. Do your part!
>>
>>93185527
My friends and I play online because due to geographic distance these days if we only played in person we'd get like maybe 5 sessions in a year. Meanwhile with online we have been playing almost weekly for over 4 years. In person play is great, but when playing with people you already know IRL online's convenience just lets you play so much more consistently. While the people whose sole experience is playing in random roll20 games with spergs is not great, I dont think demonizing online gaming as a whole makes sense.

I'm with you on the podcast show plague though
>>
>>93185206
Explain yourself. Describe what actual "damage" you think solo play does. How does it even make sense to "damage" a hobby?
>>
File: 1719558925606.jpg (858 KB, 3640x2048)
858 KB
858 KB JPG
>>93185206
>>93185527
Based grognard.
>>
>>93185206
>sloppa deleted
kek
>>
>>93185165
You can use basically anything, as others have mentioned Scarlet Heroes is a good choice. I've also used AD&D 1e, and Call of Cthulhu.

You want to look into an "oracle" as others mention. The most popular is Mythic GM Emulator, but you can use basically anything that will give you a vague positive, neutral, or negative response to your questions. My current game I'm using tarot.
>>
Four Against Darkness
>>
>came for the "let's make point and laugh of the retard that play solo"
>people against it are even worse

you guys really ruin everything
>>
>>93185165
I played only a 3 solo games.
I used Genesys system with combination with Mythic system as oracle.
This combination is great. Genesys is quite easy to learn and homebrew, but also have enough crunch to actually make a challenging game. Mythic provide you with some level of uncertainty.

Of course Mythic should work with other systems, but I only tested it on Genesys because I had some experience with this system before.
>>
File: One Page Domains.pdf (1.63 MB, PDF)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB PDF
I have perfected my solo game after about 7 years of play. This is what I play:
>Get the Scarlet Heroes book
>Used in junction with the Mythic GM Emulator book
>Use these to run published modules (Using the Lone Crusader method. You can find it by googling.)
>Use a piece of hex paper to keep track of your "Known world"
>Keep a folder of your various heroes, having one being your "Main" and no hero below him is allowed to exceed his level. He is the "leader".
>Scarlet Heroes describes a "destitute adventurer" lifestyle where you lose your gold to nights of debauchery. I suggest you do this sparingly, and instead, accumulate your earnings until around level 10
>Print out "One Page Domains" (Pic related.)
>Find a copy of "Domains at War" for ACKS or "BattleAxe" rules for mass combat (Still in the process of testing this out.)
>Collect the main Spelljammer books so that after you eventually conquer one world, you can move on to others...
>Optionally, you can print out a copy of the old AD&D Sex rules, which can be found online, in the module "The Slaver Caravan" or the "Book of Carnal Knowledge". (With these you can determine things like if a character is seduced, if sex results in impregnation, or if a sexual encounter ended favorably or not. Don't use if not concerned with sexual encounters.)
There you go. You now have the ultimate solo game, and never have to deal with any flakers or Critical Role kiddies ever again.
>>
Any good city generators/books for a medieval setting? The nocturnal table/city encounters/etc. are all more Leiber-esque decadent oriental metropole than 13th century Paris
>>
>>93199653
Recently I've been using this book I found called "Hex Adventures" That generates hexmaps, but part of it generates towns, and it does an excellent job of generating the features of small medieval settlements.
>>
>>93185165
Choose Your Own Adventure books?
>>
>>93185165
Do you enjoy boardgames? Quite a few good solo play one's out. Some heavy into role play some just mechanically sound. If you want recommendations let me know
>>
>>93185527
You are being a bit faggy about all of solo play. There are some really solid systems out there that are widely applicable. I'm not counting any if the ultra gay journaling games or those hyper focused one shit tier games you see out there (for those I would yield to you).
And like everyone else, online play and rpg shows have been hell on this hobby.

>>93185165
Just look to the solo general for some of the big ones. I tend to rock solo miniature games right now as they have a nice mix of action and rpg elements.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.