[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: i accept it.jpg (49 KB, 600x513)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
When did you realize that the hobby was dying, and we have our own success to blame?
>>
>>93186802
It is? My group's doing better than ever.
>>
Only if you insist on sticking with the same soulless corporation. Hobbies don't die, only brands do.
>>
Stop posting this shit thread.
>>
>>93186802
I don't care if the hobby is "dying." I play with friends and family because I enjoy it, not for popularity points. Gay ass thread, please play games.
>>
File: Smug cigar man.jpg (40 KB, 968x645)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
OP has no games and no friends to make him enjoy the game.
>>
When did you realize that your favorite hobby was perfectly healthy, both as a market and as a community, and that all the internet posts saying otherwise were coming from the same small group of depressed shitposters?
>>
You are the one keeping it alive, so if it's dying, look in the mirror.
>>
>>93186802
I genuinely have never and will never care about "the hobby" at large. I never paid a single dime on RPG material except buying some dice, I write my own stuff, I play with my friends at my own table, and I never have to interact with anyone else from "the hobby" in real life. Ever. Saying that RPGs are dying is like saying that writing poetry or playing football is dying. You are completely retarded if you are incapable of doing this largely independent from what some corporation is trying to sell you.

>but it affects pop culture!
This does not affect me. If you care about pop culture I genuinely think you are better off jumping into a noose.
>>
>>93186802
I play TTRPGs again in years.
>>
>>93186802
Swapping out "the hobby" for literally any other hobby this sort of shit sounds completely retarded.
>man, woodturning is fucking dying
>youtube ruined watercolours
>too many people play guitar, it's fucking ruined
>>
>>93188120
Those don’t inherently rely on the interest of other people in the hobby to function.
>>
>>93188167
Neither does table top, just play with friends or local hobbyists and you're good. You do have friends, don't you?
>>
>>93188174
But no one is angry. Anon just said "times change, but it does not matter because ultimately you are responsible for what happens at your own table".

>>93188167
Do you not have the friends to play a social hobby? If so, I struggle to understand why you claim that said social activity is your hobby.
>>
Why would anyone play tabletop when BG3 exists?
>>
When I realized if I type stupidly, people were nice to me and my role play, but if I typed normally, people would insist I’m shit and always disagree or have issues with my characters.
Crazy how a few typos and missed periods completely changes people’s opinions.
>>
>>93187820
This. The same mentality can be seen on /v/ where people post threads daily complaining oh no no no some single player adventure game is ”dying”. Like.. so what? Since when did you need a massive growing community to validate your hobby?
>>
>>93186802
>we have our own success to blame?
The fuck do you even mean by this, retard? Or are you going to just not reply to anything again like you always do in these threads you keep shitting up the board with?
>>
>>93186802
It’s not dying it just peaked really hard and is a bloated mess that needs to streamline.

I think the best year for the hobby was 2014.
>>
File: Witch - 1952.gif (1.31 MB, 450x342)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB GIF
>>93186802

My only regret is I didn't do more gaming when I was a college guy with tons of free time in that era before smartphones reduced everyone to the attention span of a 90's normie. We didn't realize how good we had it.

Everyone's gotten so tired all the time and fussy about what they'll play. When I want to run a game I'm made to feel like I'm trying to pitch a new project to stubborn bosses at work. Like no, there's not going to be a cost-benefit analysis for why we should get together to celebrate Halloween by playing Arkham Horror and watching a horror movie.
>>
>>93191264
The corpos kicked your door in and shredded and burned all your RPG books? Man, sounds like a real bummer.
>>
>>93191381
They also shot all his friends (they gave him schizophrenia medication).
>>
>>93188174
Nice fanfiction faggot
>>
>>93188174
I hope your literacy improves!
>>
>>93186802
At least half, if not most of the people talking about RPGs online don't play or read the books they say they buy. The "Hobby" is still small when you actually talk to other people playing games.
>>
The hobby is not a community. That's entirely backwards. You can, however, get involved in a community that participates in a particular hobby.

But your community dying, or losing interest in the hobby you love does not mean the hobby is dying. It just means youre shit at keeping friends, or they outgrew that hobby and left you behind
>>
>>93186802
Have you tried not playing Warhammer?
>>
Quadruple grocery price inflation. You bet I’m not buying new games LMAO
>>
>>93187565
If you need to be made to enjoy, you're the problem
>>
>>93193157
>tfw you're so economically secure you don't even notice the grocery price inflation, just people complaining about it
>>
>>93195504
Thats nice. I reproduced in 2021 and have kept my partner at home ever since.

Anyway the bloat is too much and the novelty is gone. Everyone knows now that a 200 miniature megacrawler is too much work to get to the table let alone 31 a year and the flavour of the month has become the flavour of the day.
>>
>>93186802
It's not. We're just aging out of it.
>>
>>93186802
Which hobby exactly would that be?
/tg/ is home to RPGs, wargaming, miniature painting, worldbuilding, TCGs, board games, chess, Go, and other games too minor to remember offhand.
>>
File: b7f.png (904 KB, 900x1375)
904 KB
904 KB PNG
>>
>>93199015
much hipster such wow
>>
>>93186802
Boardgames and tabletop games are more popular then ever.

You are just a faggot who sticks to like a few companies or complains that the massive success of tabletop and board games means they're popular even with people you don't like.
>>
>>93186802
>Palladium stuff is 30 years old
>Shadowrun is dead, 4th ed is SUPER dead
>D&D is split down 7 different editions (B/X, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th)
>Pathfinder, the game that was meant to preserve 3.5, got its own 2nd ed so now I can't play 1st ed Pathfinder.
>Fantasy Flight is done with Warhammer RPG's and Warhammer is on 10th or 11th, left behind since 6th. Too old to play with kiddos, too young to play with Grogs.
>GURPS is on 4th edition, got left behind on 3rd
>WoD is split between nWoD and oWoD and 20th anniversary / 5th eds. Sick to death of WoD, (especially its corny metaplot) can't find players who want to play it striaght.
>Even fucking ECLIPSE PHASE went on to a second Edition, all the open source rulebooks got 'lost in the mail' somewhere and I can't find the pdfs anywhere. Left behind on first edition.
>Ars Magica, 5th edition, was playing 3rd, ded gayme.
>Exhalted. 2nd edition, ded ga e
>>
>>93205069
Why in the hell would we WANT them to be popular? They are meant to filter out the brainless trash, not open the gates for them.
>>
>>93205933
Its like saying "Why doesn't everybody have a PhD.. nigga do you WANT everyone to have a PhD? You want your doctor to score in the bottom 30th percentile?"
>>
>>93197433
are we though? are we just not wanting to play new editions?
>>
>>93205979
And aging out is one of the factors for not wanting to play new editions.
I came in at the dawn of 4th Ed 40K and built a Dark Angels army from pocket money. As an impressionable teenager I lapped up all the White Dwarf advertising, as a nerd teenager I didn't have the social skills to sway my friends to various activities and as a teenager I didn't have the freedom, resources or imagination to explore many hobbies. It was playing with one or two mates at their house and one or two mates at the after-school wargames club, and praying that I wouldn't get made fun of when people found my models.
4th Ed Dark Angels Codex came around, and we got *fucked*. It was the new model where Special Characters were suddenly fundamental to making the army work, you had wargear options per squad/character rather than a wargear list and many options were inexplicably weaker than regular Space Marine counterparts.
As a teenager, I didn't know what elae to do, so I lived with it got on with the game. As an adult I've got solutions if my army turns to shit- play a different edition, play counts-as, or realise that GW doesn't respect me and spend my time with a different game or different hobby, actually get the fucking garden and laundry done or try to spend my time making money.
Acquiring taste, standards and boundaries is part of aging out.
>>
>>93186802
>When did you realize that D&D was dying, and it has its own success to blame?

FTFY. Hobby's thriving, D&D is one of the few games with shrinkage in sales predicted. Methinks you're projecting your own personal experience and ignoring evidence to the contrary.
>>
>>93186802
When I was young, I swore I'd be playing tabletop until the day I died

Now I fear I was correct
>>
>>93195474
You can't enjoy something if you never play it.

Honestly, I don't know why these retards insist on larping in this board as if they actually participate in the hobby.

And no, watching youtube videos and complaining on twitter doesn't count
>>
>>93186802
hey OP i found exactly what you need to cure your problems
>>>/trash/66962299
>>
>>93186807
only thing that matters.
>>
>>93187581
Never because you're lying out of your own misguided superiority complex.
>>
>>93213926
>Honestly, I don't know why these retards insist on larping in this board as if they actually participate in the hobby.
Because they're /pol/shitter tourists who only care about Traditional Games as a vessel for their retarded manufactured culture war. They have never played a Traditional Game except maybe a board game when they were like 6.
>>
>>93186802
Doomer posts are so boring. Did your group kick you for being insufferable or what's the cause of this drivel?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.