[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

So I have a magic user character in this canpaing set in my DM's homebrew system.

The system is a work in progress, very freeformish and focused on roleplay. He and another player posted in here a few times

Everyone has a set of 20 generic skills, a class with special abilities and 4 hit points.

It's fun, at least in my opinion not balanced but very lethal and action heavy.

Magic in this system is broken, but intentionally.

You create your own spells, with no restrictions but can only cast a number of times equal to your level (I'm level 4 so 4 casts) before resting unless you want to deal with a chance of miscast and very big consequences from corruption to unintended side effects in the spell.

My magic user is focused on matter so I gave hom the following spells.

-Moving things and people with my mind, typical tk stuff.
-Changing the density of things and people so they become less dense to the point of floating and even intangible, or super dense to the point of indestructible or black holes.
-Last one is adding an "emotional resonance" to a thing, person or area as to make them fall in love, be afraid, obssed with etc... Just by looking at it.
>>
>>93237055
At first I pictured my mage as going full Jean Grey and just flinging people with his mind but turns out my last spell the emotion one was the one I used the most.

Anyway, as powerful as magic may seem it has one limitation, no spell can be permanent, sure the effects don't disappear after the spell ends but you can't keep the effect forever it requires concentration.

So things burned with magical fire stay burned but the magical flames themselve stay up as long as the magic user can focus.

Fastfoward the group just defeated an warlord and we took over his castle, issue is that we are adventures we can't just stay there...

So the warrior suggested that I used my emotional magic to "curse" the castle making everyone stay away and not approach it, and the noble was even more bold, suggesting that I used my magic to make the castle float in the air so we could use it as a mobile base.

The thing about permanent magic tho is that it's not impossible, it's just not a class feature, there is precedent for permanent magic it just demands a ritual.

A power source according to the DM, you need a power souce to fuel the spell, the will of one magic user is not enough, and he said anything with "simbolic weight" could be used in the ritual.

In retrospect most antagonistic magic users we fought were trying to do just that, find a power souce.

Death is a powerful symbol so there is a lot of death rituals, a sacrifice can make a spell permanent but the dm said a spell such as keping a castle in the sky would demand a mass sacrifice.

Souls are a powerful source too, but again a spell of that magnitude would require a lot of souls or a massive one.

War, kind of like a mass sacrifice but ongoing, every conflict and hatred powering the ritual, much harder to be stoppes too once on going.

A demon or powerful being, either willing via pact or sealed and bound to the structure.

Blood...
>>
>>93237062
The issue is that as can see... Most of those things are quite evil and my magic user is a good guy.

So I need help coming up with a non evil but powerful magic energy source for my ritual spell.

Do you guys have any simbolic ideals of what my character could use?

I'm considering using the ideia of "lay lines" this network of points where "magical energy flows" maybe I could use the ample fuel of magic energy in a node of the lines to power the spell and levitate the fortress and maybe even "connect the castle tk the grind" as in the castle doesn't jjst float it fallows the way of the lines as ina rail, since the lines go everywhere it would be kind of the same as it just floating.

What you guys think? Any novel ideias?
>>
>thread about magic
>typos everywhere
>compulsory double-enter-key disorder
>>
>>93237246
This is why people don't like you
>>
>>93237055
While your post is formatted awfully, I'll try to pitch in. The castle has riches, yes? Presumably something of value inside, like sculptures, paintings, architecture, gold, et cetera. Gist is, use the castle's own worth to propel it, like some kind of Adam Smith perpetual motion machine.
>>
>>93237246
Sorry.

I'm dyslexic.
English is not my native lenguage...
I tried my best but I'm kind of nervous :v
>>
>>93239359
I feel bad about how I wrote it, but I felt I had to give details of the system itherwisebI would be called a no system fag and the context otherwise the question would be no sense.

But how to summarize all that? I feel like I failed LOL.

Anyway, about your ideia, it sounds nice, wealth indeed has symbolic power, nkt sure on the mechanics of how to do that, can you elaborate a little more, maybe melt all the gold of the castle in the ritual? Can you give details of what came to your mind?

I'm not even sure jf that castle was particually wealthy tho. It was more like a simple fortress, sturdy but not fancy, not a palace but we haven't fully explored yet so maube it has a secret vault, we know it has secret rooms.
>>
>>93239359
>like some kind of Adam Smith perpetual motion machine