[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1675070840951597.pdf (1.59 MB, PDF)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB PDF
Previous thread: >>93281030

GURPS is a modular, adaptable system, capable of running a wide range of characters, settings, and play styles, with a level of detail varying from lightweight to completely autistic.
Optional rules allow you to emulate different genres with a single system, or even switch genres within a single game.

A nearly complete archive of GURPS books can be found by those who pay attention to file extensions.
Never post direct links to the archive anywhere.

If you're wondering where to start:
The Basic Set covers everything, including a lot of optional rules you probably won't use.
A genre guide can be found in the archive, under Unofficial/GURPSgen. It tells you what extra books and articles you may find useful for many common genres.
How To Be a GURPS GM is a good read even for players.
GCS (gurpscharactersheet.com) is an excellent character-builder software, with page references to all the books and the option to export to both Foundry and Fantasy Grounds.

TQ: What's the highest point cost you've run for a campaign? Tell us about it.
>>
I wonder if anybody has ever gotten a GURPS tattoo. I feel like when it was at its peak of popularity tattoos were still a relatively rare and fairly taboo thing in the US, and now that every bearded onions faggot has twenty of them GURPS isn't really popular.
>>
>>93357945
huh. who's gonna get the dai blackthorn tattoo?
>>
>>93357965
Nobody wants a manlet tattoo
>>
How do you guys run drugs? If my player gets blasted on hobbit pipeweed, what should the effects be? I was thinking -1 to IQ and DX for an hour or some shit
>>
>>93358044
Depends on the drug. Normally it's +1 or 2 to some base stat, with a penalty to some other base stats, and long term status effects like shakes or ticks or whatever.
>>
>>93358044
temporary disadvantages like that are usually the way to do it, depending on the kind and severity of the drug you could hand out any number of temporary mental/social detriments.
>>
>>93358066
>>93358074
Interesting. I'm not certain about it giving them a bonus, but maybe a small IQ bonus and a DX deficit, and you have to roll Willpower to avoid addiction.
>>
>>93358081
Well I was talking about drugs generally, not hobbit weed. I can't imagine any stat bonuses to that aside from... maybe context-dependent will rolls?
>>
There was a great post on the forums where someone had used the Low-Tech rules to write up some examples of armor made out of bamboo and silk and shark skin for his Polynesian-inspired setting, and I seem to recall the armor went up to DR3 or DR4 protection almost all around. I can't find it anymore. I might have to try to recreate it myself.
>>
>>93358121
DR 4 from bamboo? Don't get me wrong, I don't know what I'm talking about, but isn't that a bit much?
>>
>>93358115
My Hobbits have increased will, so maybe it helps on fright checks or something. a very small bonus
>>
>>93358199
I'd recommend figuring out what you want the hobbit weed to do based on how it appears to effect hobbits and people in the movies and books, and then try to tailor GURPS to it.

Is it a minor stimulant like tobacco, or something more like marijuana? Is it mild or more intense? Is it particularly chemically addictive regardless of intensity, or is it easy to kick? Does it have withdrawls of any kind? Etc.
>>
>>93358215
pretty sure Tolkien based it on tobacco, not sure he'd have known much about weed. But in the Hobbit movies it seems to be like cannabis. I want it to be more like some kind of fantasy stimulant, though
>>
>>93358163
Heavy Leather is DR3, and Low-Tech has a textbox (p. 105) about how some exotic hides can warrant another +1 DR and even lists shark skin as an example, so I'd assume that sharkskin leather is doing the heavy lifting for DR4. The poster could also be using the rules for reinforcing armor (same page), which provides a conditional +1 DR and explicitly allows wood under the Splinted Armor option so maybe he felt comfortable stretching the definition to cover bamboo too; alternatively, high quality but lighter weight sharkskin could be layered under cheaper DR1 cane armor, which is probably a more accurate way of handling bamboo. Lastly, silk similarly provides a conditional +1 DR, even in the form of a normally DR0 undergarment that can be comfortably worn underneath armor (presumably use the cost and weight of a normal set of clothes as a baseline).

So off the top of my head, a recreation of what Anon is looking for could be a coarse silk trousers and undershirt ($2400, 2lb), Sharkskin Medium Leather on the torso ($500, 12lb), and Splinted Medium Leather on the arms and legs ($188, 22.5lb). Final DR would be DR4 on torso (DR3 vs cr or pi) and DR2 on limbs (DR4 vs cut, DR3 vs imp). Obviously the combination of silk coverage, leather weight, leather quality, and reinforcing can be altered as needed to reach different values.
>>
You know what would be a good game setting? The Atlantis: The Lost Empire movie. And it's NOT because I want my character to impregnate athletic fit brown girls with white hair and blue eyes.
>>
>>93358441
>it's NOT because I want my character to impregnate athletic fit brown girls with white hair and blue eyes
well tough shit. roll HT for sexual performance.
>>
I tried asking in share thread already, but maybe you fine autists know of a trove or other source for Dungeon Fantasy RPG powered by GURPS?
>>
>>93358487
check the OP
>>
>>93358487
>>93358493
Don't give him any hints, this is a basic IQ test. Something a monkey should be able to pass.
>>
>>93358493
Thankya!
>>
>>93357945
>getting a tattoo
>getting a brand tattoo
No, thank you. I'm not a basedboy cuckold bugman consoomer
>>
>>93358540
Are you okay Anon? You seem to have tripped and dropped all your buzzwords.
>>
Had an idea for a Dying Earth style game. I’m got 200 Occupations and Racial Templates.
Is that enough to cover everything from a TL10 enclave to the TL0 Stone-Zones?
5 kinds of caveman.
>>
>>93358698
Spotted the ink twink
>>
Is there a canonical way to apply enhancements to skills? Specifically I want to create a learned prayer (from powers-divine favor) which adds Cosmic: No Die Roll Required to Tracking for a selected target.
>>
>>93359218
Sorcery, p. 11
>>
>>93357759
Who is the gayest gurp?
>>
I've been told that the perk "Power Grappling" is useless.
>>
Can we talk about how Knowing Your Own Strength is such a good fucking alternate rule? It literally fixes so many problems with GURPS that I can't imagine running a game without it.
>>
>>93359510
It doesn't solve the problem of tranny barbarian players seething that they can't deal 6d swing cutting damage and ignoring armor anymore
>>
>>93359510
sw = thr+2 is dumb though
>>
>>93359840
No, it isn't. Inflating ST scores by slowing down damage progression however is.
>>
it is fucked up that gurps st can go up to infinity but there's basically no design space in the system for dx or iq higher than about 20, or ht higher than about 30
>>
>>93359297
It can be, depending on which set of grappling rules your GM is using. Some alternatives make it redundant because the perk’s effects are already baked into the rules.

>>93359906
Why is it fucked up? Strength scales with size, and both reality and fiction are full of creatures of all sizes, from diminutive to mind-bogglingly massive. That open-endedness demands open-ended ST.
>>
I wrote a simple game idea I had down as a campaign primer. Would you play a game like this?
>>
>>93359510
No School Grognard is a better damage progression, but yes, I prefer KYOS for Lift ST.
>>
>>93360646
I want to fuck a double jointed freak elf and a hobbit.
>>
>>93360646
The premise is alright, but there is not much for me to bounce off of. It's more interesting than raiding a dungeon just because, so there is that.
Also, dwarves are deaf but not mute? Either way, that's a big RP challenge to put on anyone wanting to play a dwarf.
>>
>>93360646
It reminds me a bit of Bealphareth, which is good, but there's a distinct lack of Lizardfolk, which is bad.
>>
>>93360895
I like unique takes on traditional fantasy races, though the deafness might be too far for a PC race.
>>93360953
i'll put that in the patch notes
>>
File: s-l1200.jpg (78 KB, 1200x798)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>93360974
You could keep the Deaf racial disadvantage, but I'd add some guideline on how the race tends to communicate among themselves and with the rest of the world.
IIRC Fantasy has an octopus race that communicates with changing colors. It doesn't help convey complex messages to other races, but it can work for basic ones like going red for warning.
>>
>>93358441
Super cool setting. That's the one Disney movie I was hoping would be made into live action.
>>
>>93359267
Tracking does not require special Training, thus it's simply Tracking (A) Per [2] enhanced with (Cosmic, no Die Roll Required) and thus [4]?
>>
>>93359218
Detect (Specific Target; Cosmic, No die roll required).
Possibly with other enhancements and limitations such as "requires lead".
>>
I don't know who uploaded Runal books but I love you.
y'all got any more of them Hyakki Yakko books?
>>
>>93358044
Rules are in Basic Set (439-441), Bio-Tech (149-159), High-Tech (226-227), and Low-Tech (150-152).
Typically HT rolls to resist and temporary traits or conditions on a fail. Most realistic drugs give euphoria and either Impulsiveness (and other stimulant effects like temporary FP, Less Sleep, Resistant to sleep, and Insomniac) or Laziness (often accompanied by drowsiness and other sedative effects). Either could also add High Pain Threshold.
>>
File: Based as Fuck.jpg (45 KB, 736x862)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>93358734
>I’m got 200 Occupations and Racial Templates.
>5 kinds of caveman.
>>
>>93360646
Feels like those races are different enough from the stereotypes that it isn't really helpful to call them by the names of 'traditional' fantasy races. The whole point of those races is to be a quick point of reference which lets players (or other audience members) understand the concept easily. If your dwarves (for example) have more differences from standard fantasy dwarves than points in common, then you're just making more work for yourself by calling them dwarves. Better to call them 'rock-folk' or 'kraggyr' or whatever.
(The only exception I make to this is when using races which are specifically more 'authentic' to the original folk-tales than modern fantasy)
>>
>>93362187
Yes, basically. Note that this is a really fucking good deal and shouldn't be allowed without a significant Unusual Background 'tax' unless it also has limitations which deprive it of most of the full skill's utility.
>>
>>93362821
It's locked behind Divine Favor of one of 10 gods which has a set list of domains, it'll probably be fine
>>
>>93362797
"KRAGGYRS could be here" he thought. "I hate KRAGGYRS!"
>>
>>93363583
I got a good a sword of puissance for a bargain from kraggyrslist once so I'm fine with it.
>>
>>93365508
At least you don't have to avoid kraggheads on the way home from work
>>
How do I make an AI character that can change bodies at will, like at a moment using an android body, jumping to a gunship to provide support, then spending offtime on the ship's mainframe?
>>
>>93366611
Possession (Digital). Many GM's will still require you to buy the stats for your "default" body though, and if you spend all of your time in a stolen 600-point military cybershell, then he's liable to either force you to pay for its stats or hassle you with problems (attracting Enemies, various mechanical issues, and the like) until you do. Transhuman Space goes a step farther and has you pay points for the most powerful shell you own and buy other shells as 0-IQ Allies+Puppets you can jump into when needed.
>>
Non-autist here. Where would I begin statting up an SM10 mecha, inspired by Pacific Rim? I think I'd want the mechs to have their own children sheets, but I really don't know where to start.
>>
File: iw_gren_rgd5_v1.jpg (17 KB, 600x600)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
Anyone know where to find the stats on an RGD-5?
I've checked 4e High Tech and 3e World Ablaze with no luck so far.
>>
>>93366862
GURPS 3e has the Mecha and Vehicles books, and 4e has Spaceships which also contains some mecha suits i believe
>>
>>93366862
Least autistic way is using the Pyramid article Modular Mechas from issue #3/51. You pick a weight/size, a quality tier, and enough features that the point total allotted by your quality is met.

However, SM for those mechs only range from +3 to +5. While it wouldn't be impossible to extrapolate the rules in the article up to SM+10, you may be better off with the second least autistic way, which is using Spaceships as >>93367835 brought up. You'll need, at minimum, Volumes 1 and 4 for the basics, but I also recommend checking out Alternate Spaceships from Pyramid #3/34, if only for its discussion about armor systems and overall volume, as well as Spaceships Vol 7 for the rules on using out-size systems.
>>
>>93367556
Basic 277, fragmentation grenade.
Alternatively, Basic 415 gives rules to calculate explosive damage. 110 grams of TNT gives about 6d cr ex.
>>
>>93367948
There's also the Cyberme mechas which are enlarged battlesuits.
>>
>>93358081
If you use the Stress rules from horror, drugs would be a good way for them to recover stress and derangement.
>>
>>93369765
Anything like that for fatigue points?
>>
>>93367835
>>93367948
>>93369088
Thanks anons.
What if I wanted to make it as a character instead of a vehicle? Should I still use Spaceships to make it a vehicle, then convert it to a character? I ask because I really have no idea what sort of ST or DR it ought to have.
I'll also have to stat up kaiju, but I figure that will be doable once I have some mechs made.
>>
>>93370021
Making it as a character is simultaneously the easiest and hardest way to stat a mech. There really isn’t anything hard about the process—it’s no different than making any other character, except the numbers will be bigger and you’ll need to include Payload and Compartmentalized Mind (Controls)—but at the same time there aren’t many guidelines to follow. It’s entirely on you to make the mechs internally consistent, to avoid having the arbitrary numbers you use for DR, movement speed, damage, and the like line up and feel “right.”

I personally hated that process and constantly fiddled with things and got stressed over it. Maybe you’re more chill and won’t fall into that hole, but I feel like I should warn you regardless.
>>
>>93370021
I'd start designing a human sized robot, say ST 20 with Machine meta-trait, and then scale it up using the SM table in Basics. For movement, I think T-Bone has a table of reasonable Basic Move for a given SM, I'd check that. For DR, I'd start with enough to be proofed against own punches half the time, then tweak. Perhaps do it like a super, with high levels of Injury Tolerance(Damage Reduction) and enough DR to be proofed against weaker attacks to avoid death by thosand cuts.
>>
>>93370021
>>93370821
To prevent numbers from getting too big (and to avoid making the cost of ST and DR look everything else negligible) there is one common suggestion - stat your mecha as if it was in decade scale and use those stats when mecha are fighting each other.
Since you have separate sheets for mecha and humans, it doesn't really matter how they balance against each other. Just scale human weaponry down by ten when used against mecha.
>>
>>93370821
I appreciate the warning. I was just playing around with some numbers in gcs and immediately ran into just that issue, with HT. No idea what it should be reasonably set to.
So I put it on hold, made a pilot so I could use his skills and personal advantages (Combat Reflexes, Talents, etc.), and ran right back into the same issue.
I hit up the Juggernaut template from Reign of Steel: Will to Live to grab some stuff, like 800 DR and sensors and such.
Ultimately, though, I feel like this is a good exercise for me to develop greater system mastery.
>>
>>93370912
Yeah, this sounds much wiser than my first approach. I'll give it a shot - thanks!
>>93370916
I was actually kinda hoping to keep the massive numbers, if only for the novelty. I play only through foundry, so large rolls shouldn't be an issue. Appreciate the tip, regardless.
>>
>>93367556
Weight is 0.7 lbs.
Filler is 0.244 lbs. TNT, which gives 5.7 dice of damage, or 6d-1 cr ex.
Fragmentation damage doesn't have an official rule. The formula seems to simply be 1d per 20mm of diameter for shells, but this isn't consistent with the hand grenades in High-Tech. However, there is something of a pattern:
>Mills Bomb, 61*95 mm, [2d]
>M26, 57*99 mm, [2d]
>AMC Mk II, 58*110 mm, [2d]
>M67, 64*90 mm, [2d]
So while it isn't clear how far you can get from those dimensions and still do [2d] damage, I'm confident that a fairly average sized hand grenade like the RGD-5 would do [2d].
Fuse is 3-4 seconds.
Bulk -2.
Fuse 3-4 s.
LC 1.
One ready to pull the pin.
Only tricky bit is price. $25 seems roughly fair, based on other grenades in HT.
>>
>>93369782
Basic Set rules for stimulants; recover 1d FP, but then 12-HT hours later, you lose twice the amount your recovered.
>>
>>93368948
How do you respond without sounding mad?
>>
>>93373302
What part of that requires a response?
>>
>>93373302
What is this retardation. Why is this nigga trying to build a character with more than peak human strength on a budget of only 150 CP?
>>
>>93373588
Question: how many points is an average modern day guy worth?
>>
>>93373675
Deep in the negative points. 1 point in each of Area Knowledge, Current Affairs, Computer Operation, Housekeeping, and a Hobby Skill, then probably ST 9 (or worse) instead of 10 if they have an urban sedentary lifestyle with a desk job, then various negative points in quirks and mental disadvantages. I could easily see a typical person being -50 points.
>>
SJGames had a stream about Meta-Tech
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2201070536
>>
Mechanon with anonymous question.
How much damage should being knocked into a skyscraper inflict on an SM10 mech? Ideally I can have something simpler like, [damage] * [hexes moved].
Also, since I'm planning on having my mechs fight similar sized kaiju, I was figuring that I can have a mech occupy a single hex on my battle map, but with a hex being 20 yards instead of 1 yard. Is that going to spell trouble for me down the road? What about range modifiers for ranged weapons?
>>
>>93374493
*another question
Apologies for phoneposting
>>
File: 1623889845003.jpg (65 KB, 1280x720)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>Why yes, I believe I'm worth 500 points if I'm realistically statting myself as a GURPS character.
>No, that's not too high, in fact anything lower would be mathematically impossible.
>>
>>93374493
Because of the way range modifiers work, multiplying the distance by 20 just imposes -8 to the range modifier. So if you're scaling things up by a factor of 20, just add 8 to the speed/range table and you're good to go.
>>
>>93373937
I'd disagree with deep. Actual disadvantages other than Debt, Dependants and Duty are rare and borderline mental illnesses. People probably have a lot of quirks, but i doubt an average adult has less than 20 skill in diverse hobby and common knowledge skills. It'd probably come to around -10 to 10
>>
>>93375022
NTA, but you don't think people are at least walking around with something like Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]?
>>
>>93374468
>comes up with the bladepunk term
>it's just "three musketeers and pirates of the Caribbean"
>>
>>93375323
Not in my experience. Probably an Dislikes Violence Quirk, but once fighting starts few people act like they have a -4 to every attack.
>>
>>93373675
Depends on a few factors.
Are they an NPC or PC? If they are a PC, do they take all their friends as Contacts (or even Allies)? Do they take their children as Dependents?
How are we measuring 'average'? Like, would it be the average points total of all modern men, or just the points total of a 'typical' guy (i.e. only count traits present in more than 50% of the population).
Do you believe the dubious claim that most men would have Pacifism (Reluctant Killer)?
Is this the average American, average Westerner, average TL 8 person, average of all people living today, or average of all people in the 'modern' era?
What's the 'campaign' TL and starting wealth?
Does 'guy' mean 'person', 'adult person', 'male person', or 'grown man'?

Personally, I think the most intuitive answer would be a typical American man, as an NPC, with the campaign being TL 8 with starting wealth equal to a typical man's (i.e. this character has average wealth by definition).
I would say all attributes are at 10. Although most people get little exercise, modern people are taller and heavier than their ancestors, and an 'average' guy is working-class, so might do some manual work, so ST 10 seems plausible. DX and IQ 10 seem like a 'given' for average White guy, and even adding other races you aren't going to drag IQ down much.
Average adult male BMI in the US seems to be about 27, which should qualify for Overweight and possibly something like -1 HT or Unfit. About two-thirds of American adults need 'vision correction' but IDK how many of them would qualify for Bad Sight. Don't think any other disadvantages are that common.
I don't think any advantages would be common enough to get included.
Skills will vary depending on how you calculate 'average'. Most people will have a fair few points in skills, but not all the same skills. I think it's fair to say that an average person is competent at their job (i.e. at least one skill in the 12-14 range, for around 8-16 points).
>>
but a tl 8 person in a reasonably industrialized society is getting so many bonuses from taking extra time, having an environment conducive to what they're doing, tools/equipment, and so on, would they really need to have a 14 to be good at their job? could you tell the difference between someone who had a 14 and someone who had an 11 when they're both going to be rolling as if they had 20+ constantly?
>>
>>93374493
Just use normal collision rules. If your hexes are 20 yards, simply multiply speed by 20.
A SM+10 mech is going to be about 600 feet tall and weigh a couple of hundred thousand tons. A big skyscraper is going to be heavier than that, so just use the mech's HP. For smaller buildings, you might have something like a thousand tons per storey, so a standard high-rise might be in the region of 1,400 HP (or 14 cHP at century-scale).
So if you are thrown 2 hexes into a high-rise, it's just 2 (hexes) * 20 (size of one hex) * 0.01 (constant from collision rules) * 0.01 (adjusting for century-scale) * 14 (cHP of smallest element in the collision). Simplifying by multiplying all the constant terms gives us 0.002 * hexes * cHP. As you can see, this is almost never going to do enough damage to get through mech armour, and probably not even enough to hurt a kaiju. Therefore you can basically just ignore damage from collisions.
>>
>>93376385
Seems unlikely that most people are taking extra time on their job rolls, since most jobs give a fair bit of pressure to get stuff completed ASAP. Equipment bonuses are maybe +2 for Fine Quality. Non-adventuring situation will give a significant bonus though.
On the other hand, I expect most workers will 'spend' any excess beyond about 15-16 effective skill level on haste penalties. Those that don't may care about margin of success, with exceptional successes producing better work (this only applies for 'bespoke' work rather than 'assembly line', but that isn't rare; lots of people generate original writing, code, etc. as part of their job) or better odds of winning in a contest (for sales roles).
On the grippling hand, many people don't need the full scope of a skill. Techniques and specialties can make it cheaper to get a decent skill level.
>>
>>93376455
The skills required for various jobs vary wildly too.
The most common jobs in America are retail sales and cashier roles, with about 7 million employed in them. For that, you basically need only minimal social skills (maybe qualifying for a couple of points of Merchant in GURPS) and no serious personality problems (i.e. limited mental disadvantages). Very basic levels of Administration might also be required.
Fast-food employs 3-4 million. For this you probably need Housekeeping. Some of them will have points in Cooking (or, more likely, One-Task Wonder perk), Merchant, etc. but all at low levels.
However, the next most common profession is nursing (3 million). This is a huge step up from retail and fast food requiring years of training. Nurses in GURPS would need Physician, Administration, Psychology, and possibly Diplomacy or Fast-Talk. Many have additional skills, which can vary from Electronics Operation to Wrestling (psychiatric nurses are generally trained to restrain patients).
Then we're back to low-skill stuff with customer service representatives (2.8m) and 'unskilled' labourers (including manual freight handlers and the like; 2.8m).
Office clerks (2.8m) and secretaries and admin assistants (1.9m) both probably have Administration, low-level Computer Operation, and decent Typing.
The 2.3 million managers probably have more impressive skills, likely decent levels of Administration and some Leadership, plus some of whatever skills their underlings have.
Stockers and order-fillers (2.2m) are mostly unskilled labour.
Janitors and non-domestic cleaners (2m) aren't high-prestige, but often have decent practical skills.
Waiters and waitresses (1.9m)probably use Savour-Faire (Servant) and maybe some Fast-Talk.
Truck drivers (1.8m) will have high levels of Driving.
Software devs, testing, and QA analysts (1.5m) are going to be fairly skilled at Computer Operation and Administration, with many having at least some Computer Programming, and Mathematics.
>>
How many points for Dolph Lundgren at his peak?
Worth about $10M GURPS bucks.
6'5", 244 lbs. Very fit and muscular. On the other hand, did use steroids (which could lower HT), and was reportedly not that strong compared to people like Arnie and Sly.
Extremely good looking and charismatic, OK acting skills.
B-list celebrity, with a decent reputation.
High-level sports karate fighter (among the best in Europe), and some practical street-fighting experience working as a bouncer (also requires some social skills). Also had significant training in boxing.
Trained with the US pentathlon team and was (non-competing) team leader during the Atlanta Games.
Has a masters in chemical engineering, was awarded a Fullbright scholarship to study at MIT, but dropped out to be a full-time actor.
Some experience as a director.
Speaks two languages fluently, five others to some extent.
Reported to have 160 IQ (dubious if typical tests can accurately measure that high or how it was measured).
>>
>>93376754
Minimum ST for his height is 12 according to the build table. Accounting for weight, he's at least 13. He apparently squatted 300 lbs. regularly, so more than twice as strong as a typical untrained man (suggesting ST 15), but might have some Lifting skill.
DX should be better than average, given how quickly he mastered Karate.
IQ might be as high as 14. Will is probably up there as well, demonstrated to commitment to training. No indication of exceptional perception though.
Looks are at least Handsome with Classic Features (Nordic Übermensch) perk.
Watching his fight against Taktarov, he's clearly out-classed as a boxer. Despite his reach advantage, he doesn't land hits as often as his opponent. He never seems to do rapid punch combinations. On the other hand, he clearly keeps his head and uses his advantages sensibly, with a cautious long-range approach, transitioning smoothly to a cinch whenever Taktarov threatens to close the distance. He seems unphased by being hit, don't know if that would be enough to qualify for HPT. I think he might have the Clinch (Karate) perk.
His karate fights don't seem all that impressive either. He isn't lightning fast. I think maybe he relied on his size, lack of good competition in the West at that time, and smart tactics. His favoured moves seem to just be punches to the arms and shin kicks to the torso and legs.
He does the typical Kyokushin trick of smashing objects in shows, which might qualify for the Unusual Training (Breaking Blow; only against braced objects out of combat). 'On stage' he demonstrates some nice spin kicks and looks at least somewhat competent with swords (this seems likely to be Smallsword Sport, and Broadsword Art and Two-handed Sword Art). He also does and receives throws well in scripted demonstrations, maybe Judo Art. Add Guns Sport (Pistol) for the pentathlon training.
So far as I can tell, he doesn't really have any disadvantages.
>>
>>93376754
>>93377139
ST 14 [40]
DX 11 [20]
IQ 14 [80]
HT 11 [10]
Per -3 [-15]
Multimillionaire 1 [75]
Status (including 2 from wealth) 3 [5]
Reputation (all-round great guy, everyone, sometimes) +2 [5]
High Pain Threshold [10]
Handsome Appearance [12]
Classic Features (Nordic Übermensch) [1]
Clinch (Karate) [1]
Style Familiarity (Boxing, Épée, Kyokushin Karate) [3]
Unusual Training (Breaking Blow; only against braced objects out of combat) [1]
Languages: Swedish (N), English (N), German (A), Italian (B), Spanish (B), Japanese (B).
Skills:
Armoury (Small Arms) [1]
Boating (Unpowered) [1]
Boxing [1]
Boxing Sport [4]
Breaking Blow [2]
Broadsword Art [1]
Camouflage [1]
Climbing [1]
Driving (Automobile) [1]
Electronics Operation (Comm) [1]
Forward Observer [1]
Games (Boxing) [1]
Games (Épée Fencing) [1]
Games (Karate) [2]
Group Performance (Directing) [2]
Guns (Rifle) [1]
Guns Sport (Pistol) [1]
Hiking [4]
Intimidation [4]
Karate Sport [8]
Leadership [2]
Lifting [8]
Observation [2]
Performance [8]
Rapier Sport [1]
Running [4]
Savoir-Faire (Dojo) [1]
Savoir-Faire (Gym) [1]
Savoir Faire (High Society) [1]
Savoir-Faire (Military) [1]
Skiing [1]
Soldier [1]
Stage Combat [2]
Streetwise [1]
Survival (Island/Beach) [1]
Swimming [4]
Tactics [1]

That comes to 340 points! You could well make the case for some of those attributes and/or skills being higher too.
>>
>>93374545
How high can you get as a 'normal' person?
Seems like you could have 12-13 in all attributes without being stand-out exceptional, that's 120-180 points.
Advantages: Filthy Ritch isn't that unusual. Neither is attractive appearance or Voice. Stuff like ambidextrous, CR, HPT, HtK/S, and low-level Resistant seems plausible just from a combination of genetics and a slightly demanding life. A point or two in sensory advantages are easily justified with lucky genes. Small, local reputation could be a point. It adds up. Lots of people speak a few languages. Plenty of perks are plausible for an ordinary person. Could be up to 100 in advantages.
Obviously no disadvantages if you are aiming for high points total.
Skills could be in the 40-80 points range, I think, if spread out among numerous ones.
So, I could believe 300 points for a non-famous person. World-class polymaths genuinely might be 500.
>>
>>93377557
>without being stand-out exceptional
I'm pretty sure 13 in most base stats does count as stand-out exceptional, but I haven't read that segment of the book in a while so maybe I'm wrong.
>>
>>93378169
It does, 13 DX and IQ in particular. IQ in GURPS isn't very realistic, as even high IQ people are not THAT much better at nearly every single thing involving cognitive thinking. It does make learning easier, and I get why it's done for the game (there's only so autistic one can get and still have a usable system) but this is one area where the simulation of GURPS breaks down and departs from reality a bit.
>>
>>93378182
I think it's also down to GURPS IQ =/= IRL IQ. GURPS IQ is what IRL IQ pretends to be (a comprehensive measurement for all things having to do with mental acuity), while IRL IQ has to deal with the fact that it's actually just a messy series of imprecise tests that, at best, can help identify if the test taker has a learning disability.
>>
>>93378365
And yet remains the greatest predictor for lifetime success
>>
>>93373588
>gives more points
>player uses it to buy wealth
>he buys several combat droids
>player who optes to augment himself gets btfo
balanced system guyz amirite
>>
>>93379820
Why is the GM giving the option to buy combat droids anyway?
>>
>>93378182
What would you do to improve it?
>>
>>93378715
IRL IQ isn't indicative of much besides how wealthy your family was. People who quote their IQ like it's their Power Level are insufferable.
>>
File: 1718815633992065.png (34 KB, 407x374)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
What with the recent talk about points like they are some precise, let alone fair, measure of usefulness for a character? Have any of you read "How to be a GURPS" yet? It pretty much tells you how to proper distribute and organize it for a game.
>>
>>93380042
Why shouldn't he if it's available through the characters abilities? I thought freedom was GURPS fortè.
>>
>>93380257
The GM decide what are the character avaiable abilities. Freedom, yes, not anarchy.
>>
>>93377557
Honestly, just having a bunch of similar skills at a moderate level without buying up any levels of talent or attributes isn't too uncommon IRL, but can cost a lot of points. Personally, I've often found skills to be way overpriced in GURPS.
>>
>>93380157
IQ is very closely associate with success, regardless of economic background.
>People who quote their IQ like it's their Power Level are insufferable.
This is true, but it doesn't make IQ less valuable as a metric
>>
>>93357945
Who gives a fuck.
>>
File: falling senior.png (119 KB, 329x414)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
>50 bucks for an html collection
>>
>>93380157
Are you actually stupid enough to believe that, or just pretending to be retarded? G is real, it affects everything, and IQ measures it (with some error due to imperfect testing, like with all tests measuring human ability). This is basically the only finding in psychology which actually replicates well, despite legions of seething communists desperately wishing it wasn't so.
Obviously people who quote their IQ rather than their achievements are losers who have no achievements to be proud of, almost by definition. Many of them are confused about how valid their result is (like they believed a crappy internet test because it told them what they wanted to believe), or just lying. That doesn't mean the actual phenomenon is fake, any more than people who lie about their height mean that you can't measure how tall people are.
>>
>>93380195
>What with the recent talk about points like they are some precise, let alone fair, measure of usefulness for a character?
Don't see any of that in this thread. You can ask how many points someone has and optimise to get the most efficient use out of your points budget without believing that they are the magical solution to making everything 'balanced' or thinking they represent moral worth, or something.
>>
>>93380877
Steve Jewish Games.
>>
i want /pol/ to leave
>>
>>93380877
It's 50 for keeping the lights on at Steve Jackson Games and you get an html collection as a token of appreciation.
>>
>>93380877
>50 bucks for a PDF
This is how you sound.
>>
>>93378715
Nah, Wealth is.
It's just that you don't hear about John Richie born into wealth and living his best life without attracting negative press.
>>
>>93378182
>IQ in GURPS isn't very realistic, as even high IQ people are not THAT much better at nearly every single thing involving cognitive thinking.
>>93378365
>GURPS IQ is what IRL IQ pretends to be (a comprehensive measurement for all things having to do with mental acuity), while IRL IQ has to deal with the fact that it's actually just a messy series of imprecise tests that, at best, can help identify if the test taker has a learning disability.
This is the opposite of the truth. Real-world IQ is way broader and more useful than GURPS IQ. In the real world, high IQ people learn every skill faster, including physical ones.
It's also hilarious how butthurt people get over there being a somewhat broad 'intelligence' stat, when literally every other attribute is far worse for lumping unrelated shit together. Real-world strength is made up of dozens of different muscle groups, all of which respond to training individually. Endurance is only loosely related to healing, disease resistance, drug resistance, etc. Sensory acuity is mostly independent, and to the extent there is such a thing as being good at perception, it's just general cognitive performance. 'Dexterity' as a single things seems completely crazy. We all know someone who just seems a bit more clever than us in every way, but how many just 'generically graceful' people do you know?
>>
>>93381518
Actually the best predictor for success is success. Every successful person is successful, and every unsuccessful person unsuccessful. Moreover, the degree of success they have achieved in life matches how successful they are.
Therefore, we should simply have one attribute called SUC which determines how successful you are.
>>
>>93381518
Prove it, spiteful mutant
>>
I love this general. Every question usually gets a variety of responses that are all applicable in their own ways.
>>
I just use Wealth and Rank, because let's be honest, having rich parents or being the son of a politician matters way more in life than having high IQ.
How many high IQ people are out there scrubbing gutters or sweeping chimneys because their parents couldn't afford to send them to a good private university?
You wouldn't believe me if I told you my IQ, because this is 4chan, so I'll just say that most people with a lower IQ than I have are actually a lot more successful than me. I have come to understand that IQ is actually the biggest goddamned meme on the planet, and people who fetishize it are usually coping.
>>
/pol/tards always gotta call everyone "mutant" or "subhuman" or "pig" or "rat" or "satan devil". it's always straight to the most dehumanizing language they can come up with. why are they like this? do they talk to their parents that way? do they talk to the cashier at the store that way?
>>
>>93381944
>implying you can derail the GURPS thread
>>
>>93382105
i just need to know if he's ever called his mother a "satan demon" or "a cuck".
>>
>>93380148
I don't think it needs to be improved. I was just saying I don't think it's a perfect measurement of reality. That's okay. It does its job well enough for the game. A model that more accurately modeled reality very well might not make for a better game.
>>93381614
>Real-world IQ is way broader and more useful than GURPS IQ.
No, it isn't. A person with a GURPS IQ of 14 would be so ridiculously good at almost everything they did it's absurd. Even things they have absolutely zero familiarity with, they'd be as good or better at than an average person who dedicated years of their life to studying that single thing. If you think this is realistic, you're out of touch with reality.
>It's also hilarious how butthurt people get over there being a somewhat broad 'intelligence' stat
I'm not butthurt at all. I don't downplay the significance of IQ. It is a realistic predictor of success, ease of learning, and problem solving capability. That's not really what GURPS IQ does mechanically, though, and it starts getting absurd especially above 12.
>How many high IQ people are out there scrubbing gutters or sweeping chimneys because their parents couldn't afford to send them to a good private university?
Probably a lot fewer than one might predict for people with lower IQs.
>I have come to understand that IQ is actually the biggest goddamned meme on the planet, and people who fetishize it are usually coping.
There are a lot of studies on IQ that suggest it's definitely not just a meme. It's possible those studies aren't really the full picture, though. I do agree that people who "fetishize" high IQ are often insecure, but I think the inverse is also true, that many also seem to overcorrect in going out of their way to downplay its significance.
>>
>>93381518
Wealth is success though
>>
>Intolerance (Seething leftists) [-5]
>Sense of Duty (Family) [-5]
>>
How many points of Hobby Skill (GURPS) does someone like Dr. Kromm or Chris Rice have?
>>
more like Intolerance (Family) when he starts calling his parents "bluepill cringe cucks" for telling him to clean his room
>>
>>93383127
>Chris Rice
Uh, don't call him Chris. His preferred way to be addressed is Christopher.
>>
Little Chrissy.
>>
>>93383251
>IQ-3 [-60]
>>
GURPS?
>>
>>93383500
GURPS, more like GURB!
>>
File: Kromm hails.png (944 KB, 800x772)
944 KB
944 KB PNG
>>93383546
>>
Anyone else having problems with the newest update of GCS? I use Windows 10 and can't modify any Weapon Usages anymore.
>>
>>93384530
I've seen some people complaining in GCS discord.
I can't even use it anymore with how laggy the entire thing has become after a few recent updates.
>>
>>93384580
>GCS discord
Is it as pozzed as the GURPS trannycord?
>>
>>93384695
It's mostly just boomers who don't know how to use their PC.
>>
>>93382242
>Even things they have absolutely zero familiarity with, they'd be as good or better at than an average person who dedicated years of their life to studying that single thing. If you think this is realistic, you're out of touch with reality.
GURPS IQ 14 does not allow you to operate at a professional / years of training level by default. A typical average skill would default to IQ-5, which is equivalent to an average person at IQ-1. That's just 1 point, hardly years of study. What IQ 14 does is allow someone to operate at the 'average beginner' (IQ 10 with 1 point) or 'trained moron' (IQ 8 or 9 and 2-4 points) level in every (IQ-based) field, or get to professional level with 2 points (~400 hours of study) instead of 20 points (~4,000 hours). That doesn't seem unrealistic at all. It's perfectly normal for polymath geniuses (e.g. Liebniz, Franklin, Von Neumann) to be able to at least have meaningful conversations with experts across a huge range of domains and achieve world-class performance in multiple fields. Even I (no genius, by a long shot) frequently find that academics assume I have studied their subject (anatomy, particle physics, psychology, philosophy, history, palaeontology) because I was able to offer some basic insight (which I picked up casually reading maybe one or two books and some blog posts, not enough for points in a skill). That's with probably only one or two levels of GURPS IQ difference between me and their actual students. After two years of studying my current profession, I am often struck by how ignorant people with many more years of training and decades of experience seem (and it isn't a fast-moving field where you have to maintain cutting-edge knowledge to stay up to date).
>It is a realistic predictor of success, ease of learning, and problem solving capability. That's not really what GURPS IQ does mechanically, though
That seems to be basically what GURPS IQ does. Why do you say otherwise?
>>
>>93383127
Probably quite a lot, but they are held back by low (or, more realistically, general population average in a role where higher is normal) IQ (CRR) or age-related mental decline (manifests more like Hidebound and Stubbornness than lowered IQ in Sean, and he's still one of the better writers they have). Also, both have invested too few points in Research (again Sean is a lot better than Chris, probably due to higher IQ).
I would also say that the relevant skills would be more like Games (RPG) and Writing than Hobby (GURPS). Their GURPS expertise would be something like the Hyper-Specialization perk.
>>
>>93385125
*tips fedora*
>>
What rules do you guys have for big guys swinging in an arc?
There is Whirlwind Attack from Martial Arts, but it seems silly, not intended fro SM above 1 and doesn't allow the modification of the actual attack in any way.
There is also Cleaving Strike from DF11, but it only allows hitting up to 3 foes, and isn't truly generic. Performing such a feat shouldn't require a special Advantage for for example an Ogre with ST50.
I looked into Combat Writ Large too, which provides the Big Swings rule, giving increased chances to hit for bigger SM by sacrificing defences and the choice of hit location.
What I wish for was a generic rule akin to "If you swing at an enemy and deal sufficient damage (Let's say to knock back or to outright kill), and there are other enemies within the arc of your attack within your reach, you may attack the second enemy at some penalty/reducing your final damage by the amount absorbed by the first guy.
Do you know of any such rules, where I could perhaps find them or have come up with any of your own?
>>
>>93385310
You could adapt Extreme Dismemberment (Martial Arts p. 136) to apply to entire characters, rather than just to individual hit locations.
>Original rule: If your cutting attack hits an extremity or a limb, and the attack inflicts enough injury to sever that hit location (twice over HP/3 for an extremity, or twice over HP/2 for a limb), then you can roll vs. weapon skill − 1 to carry the attack through to the same hit location on the other side of the target's body. (The target does not get a second defense roll.)
>Extended rule: If your cutting attack hits an extremity, a limb, or a torso, and the attack inflicts enough injury to sever that hit location (twice over HP/3 for an extremity, twice over HP/2 for a limb, or twice over HP for a torso), then you can roll vs. weapon skill − 1 to carry the attack through to the same hit location on the other side of the target's body, or you can roll vs. weapon skill − 6 (same as Rapid Strike; −3 with Trained by a Master or Weapon Master) to carry the attack through to another enemy entirely. (If you choose a different hit location on the same target, then he does not get a second defense roll. If you choose a new target, then he does not get a defense roll unless the GM says so--e. g., if he can use Scanning Sense or Precognition to follow your weapon as it passes through the first target. If you choose a new target, you must have enough movement--including a step--to change facing if necessary.)
>>
>>93357759
In HERO a Turn is divided into 12 units called Phases. The statistic Speed allocates the sequence of Phases a character can act per Turn. Spd 1 = only on Phase 7 per Turn, … , Spd 12 = act on all Phases (ie 1…12) per Turn.

Is there a GURPS equivalent? I was hoping that the total number of possible sequences filling Turn = X would evenly fit my level system, or some factor of it.

I’ve calculated the full set for all Turn sizes up to 8, no set evenly divides 216 or its factors. I would clip the sequence listings to fit…but I really don’t understand the logic used in HERO 6E2 pp 17, where the Spd Chart only uses 12 sequences to fill Turn = 12 Phases.

I’m retarded to even try to solve this, but I like this type of Initiative system quite a lot. Help me, frogfags, I’m nearing the point of willingly eating Asparagus.

Have a picture of another retard to show my sincerity.

Also here’s a ascending listing for Turn = 5, where the order from first to last (1…5):

1 Phase/Turn: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 = 5 seq

2 Phase/Turn: 45, 35, 25, 15, 34, 24, 14, 23, 13, 12 = 10 seq

3 Phase/Turn: 345, 245, 145, 234, 134, 123 = 6 seq

4 Phase/Turn: 2345, 1345, 1235, 1234 = 4 seq

5 Phase/Turn: 12345 = 1 seq

Total: 26 seq

CSV, so 13 reads as “act on 1 and 3”. This is probably a hopeless question, but if anyone is autistic enough to grapple this, they would be here…
>>
>>93388867
>but if anyone is autistic enough to grapple this, they would be here…
I'm not even autistic enough to read that post
>>
>>93388867
Some anon played with an jrpg like turn system in here before, idk what came of that. I think it went like:
>If all speedcounters are below 5, start a new turn.
>At turn start, increase character's speedcounter by character's speed.
>go down the list of combatants according to their speedcounter. Reduce speedcounter by 5 for each action taken. Update speedcounter list dynamically.
And then the cycle starts again. A char with 5.5 speed would get a double action at the end of the 10th turn, while a char with 4 speed would skip the first and every 5th turn after that.
>>
>>93388867
You can rule that the length of a character's turn is equal to five seconds divided by his Basic Speed. So, in the space of five seconds, a character with Basic Speed 5 will have five 1-second turns, while a character with Basic Speed 6 will have six 5/6-second turns.
>>
>>93382242
>it starts getting absurd especially above 12
Most of the 'problems' with GURPS attributes are just people not stat-normalising realistic characters. IQ over 12 is like top 1% of the population, so they are pretty impressive. IQ 16 (approximately the point at which defaults actually become useful levels of skill under adventuring conditions) is about as smart as real humans get. Anything above that is only really suitable for 'cinematic' geniuses whose intelligence is more like a super-power (e.g. Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark, Doc Savage, Mycroft Holmes).
There's a Pyramid article (By Default, vol.3 issue 65) which 'fixes' the high default scores from extreme attributes by basing them on half attribute instead. Unfortunately, it then also changes skill progression, so all it actually ends up doing is doubling the cost of attributes (or at least the part of each attribute which raises skills). I think a far better solution would be to base only defaults on half attributes, while allowing actual points in skills to work as they do in the basic rules. That avoids the 'competent at everything' character which breaks some people's immersion, but allows for geniuses to be notably better at learning things they study.
I'd also suggest that maybe such rules should only apply to IQ-based skills. Default penalties for many DX-based skills already seem too harsh. It's fine for a very agile character to be able to grab an unfamiliar weapon and at least be OK with it, have a reasonable chance of making an easy climb, etc.
This is only a concern for fairly 'realistic' characters, of course. Plenty of fictional characters genuinely seem to be omni-competent with regards to skilled tasks (often while being incredibly retarded in their decision making).
>>
File: Energy Reserve.png (126 KB, 695x509)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
Why would you want an energy reserve which discharges when you could claim just as good a discount from one which merely charges slowly? Losing 1 point per 10 minutes is obviously worse in every way to simply not losing charge at all and but taking an hour to gain it, but both are -20%.
>>
>>93389285
1. 99% of options like this are for GMs, not players. The GM is the one that makes the setting, and they are the ones that decide "in my setting, I want power reserves to work like *this*." It's like the Costs Fatigue limitation: the small discount you get is just there as compensation for when the GM mandates its inclusion, not to entice you to pick it yourself, because no one ever willingly chooses Costs Fatigue.

2. Presumably Energy Discharge is coupled with other modifiers or traits that let you charge quickly under certain circumstances. I don't know where your pic is from, so I don't know what other options exist, but I can easily imagine a power that, say, lets you get up to max very very quickly by doing something inconvenient (accessing your supernatural power source, plugging yourself into an electrical outlet, screaming to charge up your ki, whatever), but afterwards you bleed off energy, which necessitates going through the hassle of powering up again even if you ration out the energy carefully. All in all I can see that being at least in the same ballpark as no energy bleed but very slow regen.
>>
Title your generals correctly. Final warning.
>>
>>93389940
Kill yourself, armortranny.
>>
My player's char went down to -30 but ended up living and is now recovering. What should I have him do while his main character is recovering? Was thinking about having him roll up a secondary but then I'm not sure what to do with it once the original is back in.
>>
>>93391044
If I were in your shoes I'd have him take over a preexisting NPC, or start a side quest or new mission or whatever with a temporary NPC he can play as.

Maybe a copy of the asian kid from Indiana Jones, maybe a street wise detective two months from retirement who wants more than anything to solve whatever issue he's roping the PC's in to help on, or maybe an NPC that seeks out the PC's help, but it's actually a double cross of some kind, or he's only involving the PC's so he can pin whatever happens on them afterward, and get off scott-free. Maybe resulting in some actual PVP action, and the death of said NPC.

There's absolutely tons of different-than-usual stuff you can cook up for this.
>>
>>93391301
>"or maybe an NPC that seeks out the PC's help, but it's actually a double cross of some kind, or he's only involving the PC's so he can pin whatever happens on them afterward, and get off scott-free. Maybe resulting in some actual PVP action, and the death of said NPC."

I actually already had this happen lol, one of my PCs got fried after they trusted said NPC with their group's flamethrower. There must be some cone of short-sightedness that descends on my party whenever I'm DMing because this guy had shot one of the other PCs and they ended up surrendering to him before making a temporary alliance. The NPC got away with it too so at least I have an interesting potential villain that is also technically on their side in a war.
>>
Related to my previous question >>93385310, are there rules for a Big Guy using smaller SM enemies as shields? For reference my ogre is ST50 and SM2, meaning an average human is about a 5th of his basic lift, he should have no problem lifting and holding onto a struggling human, who would cover a 5th to a 4th of the ogre's body, which I think a DB2 would be reasonable for. Are there any canonical rules for this?
>>
>>93384530
It has been fixed in new update.
>>
>>93392441
Low-Tech p. 114
>>
>>93388867
Whats the goal of this phase system? Giving faster characters more and earlier actions per unit time?
I always liked the shadowrun 5e approach to this: 1. Calculate you initiative by rolling a bunch of dice (for GURPS this could be basic speed * 10).
2. Highest initiative goes first. He can do an action or just reduce his initiative to a lower score to wait. One action costs 10 Initiative points, reduce by this much.
3. If you defend you have the option to spend 5 initiative points to make a improved defense roll.
4. goto 2 if someone in the fight has still more than zero initiativepoints.
>>
>>93385310
If you're using crushing attacks (or your opponents are heavily armoured) you can use knockback to smash them into each other. I think it's reasonable to have it knock foes sideways if you have room to swing in a horizontal arc. With high enough damage, you can get several hits like that.
>>
>>93389013
I was barely autistic enough to post it, so we’re even.
>>93389079
>>93389084
I’ll need some time to mull these over, and may (gasp) settle for having a bizarre singleton measure for the Spd in relation to all other scaling. Galling, but serviceable, I hope. Either way, I appreciate the well-ordered thinking. My thanks.

>>93393273
There’s several things ‘baked-in’ due to specific applications. Internal phase order can default to a stat comparison while being decoupled from proportional round order. The segments fit onto a clock-space due to pure structuralism, on dN increments. Traps and environmental effects become as regular as phase checks. Absolute temporal accounting gives a class of temporal effect combos as if by design.

>Martial Arts: Phoenix Illusion. Timing: ‘Gapped’ I.e (1,3). [Preparation] on check. +5 Dmg per Phase between [Prep] and [Attack]. Attack lands on closure phase. Single Target, Range 1...3. Unblockable. Fluff: Burst of light as the user takes a Crane stance on Prep.

That’s a shitty example, but the system gives some interesting options.
>>
>>93388867
>but I really don’t understand the logic used in HERO 6E2 pp 17
1 segment is 1 second. A "Turn" has 12 segments. 5 "Turns" equals 1 minute.
The average heroic character is SPD 3, phases are spaced out in the lower SPD range to not overlap too much.
>>
>>93394331
More clearly, I meant to say “I don’t understand the logic of the phase sequences on the Sdp Chart in reference to a selection from the superset of all available non-repeating combinatorics for Turn = N, take K — where K is the summation of N.

My example on Turn = 5, K (1+2+3+4+5) was meant to illustrate this discrepancy. I used a filling logic of my own criteria. Total Phase: larger # is better. Sequence ordering: Smaller # is better. Consecutive phases > gapped phases.

I don’t see why overlap is reduced on such an strongly defined Turn structure. You have to time-keep the entire thing anyway, after all. I wondered about the arbitrary limit ages ago and promptly forgot about it. I hope that makes matters clearer.
>>
>>93397062
*Whoops made a couple of errors. The non-trivial is that my filling priority was:
>last(6) worst, small sum of phase cardinality is worst
>Frex:
># of phases taken: (asc. 1,2,3,4,5,6)
>adjacency is a maximum action lag, structurally, when ascending from late to early
>gaps in this reading show action speed increasing with number of actions
My earlier posts used chronological order for phase sequences so the pattern ain’t so obvious.

>Turn = (1…6) x (phases)

># of phases: sequence in filling order
>Ascending
>1 : 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
>2 : 65, 64, 63, 62, 61, 54, 53, 52, 51, … 12
>3: 654, 653, 652, 651, 643, 642, 641…
>… : …
>6 : 654321
Having an absolute reference point makes transformations easier sometimes. It’s fun to consider that parameters have chirality across the entire system.
>>
>>93380157
>IQ comes from wealth
Then why did Nordics produce geniuses like it was going out of style back when Scandinavia was a dirt poor backwaters?
>>
File: he is odins man.jpg (2.12 MB, 2880x1921)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
>>93381922
"It is good to be wise, but best not to be too wise, for he who is too wise is seldom happy at all."
- the Havamal
>>
How is Meta-tech selling? Hopefully it's doing well. That'd mean public interest in GURPS and so more books.
>>
>>93400265
meta tech is dogshit and people are starting to realize that rice is basically just stealing a paycheck from sjg (unqualified to be a writer, and unqualified to be a community manager, so he is essentially being paid for nothing)
>>
>>93400679
Why is it bad?
>>
>>93400265
It was okay, probably the most decent thing Rice released in the past years.

>>93400741
I supposed the main argument people are using is some discrepancies in prices but that also happened with the last Pyramid and didn't get as much of the hate train
>>
>>93400741
1) No Mass Production option he promised way back when he published Metatronic Generators
2) Cost doesn't always makes sense, but to be honest it's mostly a problem with Basic (eg Mule-Frame Exoskeleton includes DR 7 at a whooping $132,300)
Out of the top of my head. I didn't read the entire book because it's not for me. It's a lot of crunch for unique artifacts that, honestly, would be better handwaved than calculated. I mean, it's not like you can just buy Excalibur for $300M at your local magic shop.
>>
>>93400083
Which geniuses and what time period do you mean?
>>
>>93400679
>unqualified to be a community manager
He's always struck me as passive aggressive and incompetent in that role, yeah.
>>
>>93400741
It's just the usual Rice thing of not thinking through the details, identifying potentially problematic rules, etc.
Some examples:
>Book is about assigning dollar values to weird items, but absolutely no consideration given to how these would interact with setting economies or the amount of money characters are likely to have. For example, Excalibur is 'worth' about 100 times the GDP of dark-ages Britain.
>Multiple ways to handle many details, poor guidance about which to use.
>Numerous 'badly priced' options, where it is easy to min-max builds or create 'traps' of paying too much for bad builds. Cthulhutech fright check modifier makes it essentially unusable for anything powerful.
>Pointless inconsistency; dieselpunk sometimes doubles weight, sometimes triples. Smoke from a pastille takes effect immediately, but a smoked pharmaceutical takes 1d minutes.
>Bad 'flavour' text; quote from Predator which seems to have nothing to do with the theme of the book or section it appears in. Clockwork Turk described as if it was real. Weird origin is poorly defined. Rice describes himself as a 'genius', which is cringe even if meant tongue-in-cheek.
>>
>>93403934
>For example, Excalibur is 'worth' about 100 times the GDP of dark-ages Britain.
>bunch of br*ts and their mud vs a sword that cuts throught TL 12 battlesuit
Sounds alright.
>>
>>93402599
Wouldn't the Mass Production option be the scaling cost based on setting rarity? That section describes that meta-tech devices are assumed to be bespoke, one-off creations by talented eccentrics, but you can apply multipliers to the final cost for settings where meta-tech is even rarer (e.g. requires exotic, expensive components or once-a-generation geniuses to develop) or, in your instance, much more common and can be mass produced for pennies.

And this isn't to you in particular but to the thread in general, but it needs to be said: Meta-Tech isn't a god-tier book that will heal my soul, cure my plague, and ensure my crops flourish. It has it's problems. But goddamn I think you guys are so hungry for another Realm Management-style fuckup that its driving you insane. You want to have a fresh reason to complain about Rice, so you've decided the book is "dogshit" beforehand, scrambled and reached for whatever you could find to justify that conclusion, and dashed off to get your torches and pitchforks.
>>
>>93404727
The problem is, GURPS is very crunchy with largely rigid rules that fit well into each other.
If someone produces a supplement that doesn't fit well into the rest of GURPS, then it's largely just a fluff/idea book, which isn't really needed, i could just ask in a forum for some ideas and do it myself.
>>
>>93404727
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. This is mostly just Rice derangement syndrome.
>>
What sort of Skill Rolls are required for a PC to understand particular Character Sheet features of their opponent?
>>
>>93405719
Probably depends on what features the PC is trying to evaluate. Mental illness disadvantages might be detected with the Psychology skill for example.
>>
>>93405719
The most important item on many character sheets is the racial template. In most cases, you don't need a skill roll to recognise this. In poor lighting, at a distance, etc. you may need a sense roll. Two cases where you might need a skill roll:
(a) It's a fairly obscure race. If you're looking at a lava gnome, or a model A578 android, or a maned wolf, you may need a knowledge skill to even recognise what one of those is. Appropriate skill might be Anthropology, Zoology, Current Affairs (Science and Technology), Physiology, Connoisseur (Robots), Hidden Lore, or numerous others. To narrow it down to a specific subspecies, ethnicity, edition, etc. would need similar skill rolls (or a better margin of success).
(b) the race is disguised as another, whether by inherent similarity (vampires look like humans because they are transformed humans), mimicry (serpent people look like humans to get close to humans), or deliberate disguise (aliens wear rubber masks to pass as human). Spotting 'tells' (no reflection, can't pronounce certain words, no sweat) is mostly Observation. Interpreting them is Physiology, Disguise, Occultism, Hidden Lore, etc.
Next up is recognising sex/gender (no points value for most races, but it is a feature). This is typically just Physiology, with a massive bonus for dimorphic species sufficient for even untrained idiots (i.e. skill level 3 or so) to get it right almost all the time. Again, seeing through Disguise could be a thing.
Next up, culture. This tells you what language and cultural familiarities are likely to appear on their character sheet. Correctly nailing down their race, ethnic origin, etc. will typically help. Anthropology is the main skill here (but Hidden Lore may be appropriate for fairies, aliens, etc.)
Spotting handedness (again, a feature) is just Observation.
Height, weight, and build are mostly obvious, although getting a precise estimate may require Observation.
Physiology should give some idea of ST and maybe HT.
>>
>>93407417
Missing body parts are usually obvious, although Physiology, Observation, etc. may be important if some effort has been made to hide the injury (e.g. prosthetic disguised by loose clothing).
DX seems like mostly Observation.
IQ probably requires Psychology. If they are trying to 'play dumb', that's going to need some kind of contest against Acting.
Per is going to be hard to estimate without extensive observation (using Observation) or testing (Diagnosis, Physiology). Acute senses are equally hard to spot, although extreme impairment like Blindness and Deafness will be fairly obvious.
Will is Psychology again, probably coupled with Interrogation, maybe Intimidation, etc. to test them. This may also pick up Combat Reflexes, Fearlessness, etc.
Fit, Unfit, etc. are similar to HT.
Physical illnesses, whether acute, chronic, or congenital will typically require Diagnosis. Mental illness (including learning difficulties, etc.) are similar but often use Psychology (but some, like Down's Syndrome, have tell-tale physical signs, so Physiology or Diagnosis will pick them up). For non-human(oid) characters, skills like Veterinarian, Mechanic, or Electronics Repair may be more appropriate.
Noticing Flexibility might be Observation or Physiology.
Savoir-Faire, Anthropology, Connoisseur, and Streetwise can help identify social class, which gives clues to Status and Wealth.
Nailing down a specific identity (and therefore Reputation) could be done with Heraldry or Current Affairs.
Supernatural abilities can tell you all kinds of stuff about someone, especially the presence of supernatural traits of their own (e.g. Magery shows up in your aura).
Identifying someone as a member of a specific profession (which could be a template, and suggest skills, attribute levels, and traits) can be done with skill checks against skills that profession would use (e.g. if a supposed priest doesn't know Theology, that's a sign that something is wrong).
>>
>>93407544
Charisma is usually obvious on interaction.
Social connections (Allies, Contacts, Claim to Hospitality) may need you to gather information from a wide variety of sources and put them together using Intelligence Analysis.
Body Language and Detect Lies are usually more about short-term state (e.g. anger) which doesn't appear on a character sheet, but can hint at underlying issues (e.g. Bad Temper).
Many mental traits (e.g. Eidetic Memory, Callous) only show up after extensive interaction. Psychology can help identify them.
>>
>>93405719
Games (GURPS)
>>
File: 1000057949.jpg (1.26 MB, 4000x2252)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
Whats a setting you have played in successfuly ONLY using the basic set?
>>
>starting points
>1000+ points
go play anime rpg or exalted or something LOL
>400 points
babby's first power fantasy
>250 points
it's just like dee en dee guyz!!!
>150 points
nooooo 150 points is realistic and recommended!!!!
>50 points
true chad roleplayers seeking appropriate challenge, not just victories to stroke their egos
>>
>he needs freebie points
>he doesn't earn all of his points by taking disadvantages
Fucking casuals.
>>
>>93409276
I'm definitely more of a 125 to 300 Point Player. I don't think I'd ever play with as few as 50 Points.
>>
>>93407417
>>93407544
>>93407588

All good, but how does all that play out mechanically? For instance, how much of what kind of success means my Character would know the in-world equivalent of, "Yeah, he's got an ST of 13, a DX of 12, and an IQ of 9, and these Skills at these Levels..."? How many Successes, how many Rounds, resulting in what level of detail and degree of precision? How quickly does it realistically take to completely work out an Attribute value? A Skill value? And so on?
>>
>>93357759
What disadvantage fits characters that would be blinded by broad daylight?
>>
>>93409540
First, I'd never give exact numbers. For attributes, I'd describe things based on benchmarks, with 10 being average, 13 being noticeably impressive, etc. Most attributes would need to be observed to know for certain (there's a difference between, "that guy looks strong," and, "he just lifted X weight").
For skills, the metric is amateur/professional/expert/master, more or less corresponding to 10/12/14/16.
>How many Successes, how many Rounds, resulting in what level of detail and degree of precision? How quickly does it realistically take to completely work out an Attribute value? A Skill value? And so on?
Don't be autistic, just take it on a case by case basis of what seems reasonable. Figuring out just how good a pilot someone is will take different circumstances than figuring out how good a painter someone is.
>>
>>93409694
Darkvision (Blinded by strong sunlight) [0]
>>
>>93409694
Night Vision as a feature
>>
Night Vision as a bug
>>
>>93409540
Knowing IQ precisely probably needs at least an hour of one-on-one interview and a successful Psychology roll. Standardised testing might be able to give you a good estimate, but would take several hours in controlled conditions. Examining less compelling evidence (school reports, conversations with friends, observing behaviour) would probably be days of work. This is with a good theory of general intelligence, which is probably TL 6.
Strength and HT within 20% or so could be estimated quite easily if you can observe them in a gym environment for half an hour. With manual labour, probably longer. Just looking at their body, could be done in seconds, but less accurate.
Skill level probably requires lengthy interview (equivalent to job interview), formal test, or observation at work. Base time maybe half an hour to an hour for direct one-on-one exam, more for something like a written test or indirect observation. Rough estimate from examining work done may be possible in seconds (e.g. someone with Connoisseur sees a masterpiece, deduces it was made by a master artist).
General rule: 1 hour per trait/stat/skill. Very rough estimate sometimes possible in seconds.
>>
Are there rules for parrying with a gauntlet? An easy houserule would be to remove the -3 to parry swung weapons with Brawling, and with a success of 3 or less your arm takes the hit, but I'm curious if there's a rule for that already.
>>
File: .png (101 KB, 1333x944)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>>93410994
Martial Arts p. 124
>>
How do you spice up Banestorm and Inifite Worlds?
>>
>>93411774
Add the Infinity Detrans Bureau that shows trannies that there's no parallel where they are women.
>>
>>93411774
Start bringing more people in Yrth
>>
>>93411774
You could ramp up the isekai bullshittery in Banestorm. Either go the Eric Flint route and drop an entire town--not just the people but the town, complete with machinist shops and libraries and emergency clinics and the like--and watch how the sparks fly, or copy dumb LN tropes like cheat powers.

IW only needs something like a prompt table to help facilitate timeline-of-the-week adventures. And maybe shake up the factions a bit so the "protagonists" are more than Boring Neoliberal Profit Motive.
>>
>>93408815
As much as I love the retro look, I gotta admit 4e's cover art is better.
>>
>>93414380
3E cover art drips with soul.
>>
>>93414478
Alright well you got me on that one.
>>
>>93414478
3e generally drips with soul
>>
>>93408815
I've done a few. TL3 low fantasy, TL8 modern, TL10 SciFi. The basic set is perfectly good at running anything if you stretch it a bit and improv some stuff. Other books are just bonuses.
>>
>>93408815
Well if we're talking just rules and not firearm statblocks etc, probably a good few. One specific example that comes to mind is my zombie survival game, where the players had to fight and scavenge their way to safety at a FEMA camp far away.
>>
>>93409744
>First, I'd never give exact numbers.
That's not unreasonable, in most cases, but that's not particularly helpful for what I'm going for. For instance:
>How long would it take a Naturalist to work out the base stats of an animal they are studying in a strictly non-interfering capacity?
I really am looking for what it would take, in-game-wise, to get down to the sort of hard numbers that, if the Character knew them, the Player would know the game stats, also, and, therefore, should know them. I get that's not necessarily a common thing to need, but it should, in principle, be doable, somehow.
>>
>>93410823
>General rule: 1 hour per trait/stat/skill. Very rough estimate sometimes possible in seconds.
How might that translate to what can be worked out mid-combat?
>>
>>93411774
The one thing that I never really liked about Banestorm is that there's no obvious "Blatant Good Guy Land". I get that a hard, gritty, politically loaded setting is what they were going for, but they could have given us at least one "Camelot" to be fully enthusiastic about being a part of, for those of us who prefer a genuine ideal to fight for, or a degree of warm, cozy, safety to return to.

As for "Infinite Worlds", a while back I came up with the concept of "Big Jim's Pan-Multiversal Road House". Some trucker with a very specifically dented horn accidentally triggered some Native American holy site while taking some sketchy off-the-beaten-path shortcut on a time sensitive delivery; he winds up in another world, makes a sweet profit selling off the goods that weren't going to make it on time at that rate anyway, goes back home, pays off the purchase price of the goods, uses the profit to build a road house near the ancient site, and starts organizing doing good while making a profit, heart of gold American Heartland style. Big Jim has some odd knack for denting the right model of truck horn to match particular destinations, given the right sound recording to work from. There's also some old dinosaur skull the PCs may have to eventually "liberate" from a museum that they might need to contact the original "Native American" homeworld, by using it as a trumpet. All the usual Infinite Worlds parties can be friends or foes as they merit.
>>
>>93417556
desu making a character who is built for gaining metagame knowledge wouldn't be accepted at most tables. The stats don't exist in-game, either, so it's a little weird and not in the spirit of the RPG
>>
>>93414380
>>93414478
I have to say, I prefer the 4E cover to the 3E cover; but they also say different things.

3E says, "This Game System can build whatever bespoke roleplaying pastiche you want... come explore the possibilities!".

4E says, "We have the bits and pieces to build everything for every world you can conceive! Adventure, assemble!"

3E has a more emotive cover, and 4E has a more illustrative cover. In the current day, I think 4E would have done better with 3E's cover; it looks more like "Yet another indie/OSR/PbtA pablum book". But I like 4E's practical focused messaging better.
>>
>>93417773
>desu making a character who is built for gaining metagame knowledge wouldn't be accepted at most tables. The stats don't exist in-game, either, so it's a little weird and not in the spirit of the RPG
I get all that, but what I'm trying to go for is, "What would it take for the Character to earn enough in-game knowledge for the Player to be justified in having earned knowing what is on the NPC/Creature's Character Sheet?". Not how to gain such things by cheating or gamesmanship, but by actually earning it through actions that genuinely justify access to such knowledge? Surely, there must be some point at which a PC knows enough about some type of creature (or whatever) that they know one of its base stats.
>>
>>93417867
>there must be some point at which a PC knows enough about some type of creature (or whatever) that they know one of its base stats.
no, because the base stats don't exist in-universe
>>
>>93417592
Mostly -10 haste penalty for 'instant' use. Whether that means a free action, concentrate for 1 second or whatever is up to the GM. That's a pretty cinematic level of noticing.
If you want to push beyond that, probably need to have some kind of actual advantage like Detect.
>>
>>93417875
Right, but stats that the game stats equate to directly and indirectly do; direct translation may not be straightforward, but that doesn't make it impossible.
>>
>>93417877
What about for that "rough estimate"? What sort of "+ a +/- b" relative to their actual stat can you reasonably get over the course of a second? Or a few rounds? And how would that improve over time?
>>
Bad Good Guy Land
>>
>>93417743
>there's no obvious "Blatant Good Guy Land"
The first idea that comes to mind is to change Tredroy to fit that role.
Canon Dexnavi is somewhat evil (merely callous and proud, not sadistic or intolerant) but I don't see you couldn't pull a Paarthurnax and have become sympathetic to humans, ruling Tredroy with genuine best intentions. He might act as patron for PCs to fight against foreign saboteurs.
>>
File: B+W knight.gif (36 KB, 1132x906)
36 KB
36 KB GIF
>>93417743
Anon that's Caithnesss, they're good knights pushing back a wilderness of evil monsters living in land between dwarven mountains and elvish forests. Even King Arthur had to deal with politically ambitious nobles so the civil war doesn't disqualify it.
>>
>>93417743
>>93419730
Cardiel, too, as a cosmopolitan, diverse, fairly tolerant country with an elective monarchy. If that's your thing.
>>
Is Tredroy not!greyhawk sans dungeon?
>>
>>93359218
BEar in mind the mistake that happened with The One ring system.
If you're a player who has developed your character towards maxing a skill, you WANT to make & succeed those rolls. Automatic success is not fun, rolling dice and winning by a lot is.
Just think of One Punch Man, where half of the show is about him not finding an interesting opponent; automatic winning involves no strive, involves no risk.
>>
>>93417923
Honestly, I'm not sure it's realistically practical for a normal person to have more than a rough impression of obvious physical features (e.g. missing arm), size (which probably gets you within about 30% margin of error to ST/HP) and basic levels of coordination / skill (essentially just 'completely fucked / incompetent' or 'at least sort-of OK') in one second.
In terms of how quickly a really good evaluator can judge someone, I think that is an answerable question but it's not obvious to me what the answer is because I'm not really an expert. Sometimes I have to guess how crazy, retarded, or risky people are for my job, and that takes quite a lot of data gathering (like hours of observation with a cooperative patient) to really figure out with any degree of precision. On the other hand, many people seem able to get a 'good enough' evaluation of such things (i.e. 'is this person an immediate threat?') in seconds.
Actually getting a good estimate of someone's 'skill level' seems like you should be able to answer questions like 'how likely is he to beat (specific opponent who's skill level is also known) in a formal match?' or 'at what range will he be able to hit a man-sized target with (specific weapon) under (specific conditions)?' Those are difficult to judge even with extensive footage, plenty of time for analysis, etc. At an absolute bare minimum, I'd want at least double-digit seconds of observation of the subject making attacks, a similar amount of time to think about it, and a skill level comparable to or better than the subject in order to feel I could make that kind of judgement at all, and even then it seems like a hard task to do in the middle of a fight (especially one where my life is in danger). Looking at real-life combat footage, I usually struggle to even work out what is happening on the first play-through. Often I'm unable to tell things like whether shots are hitting their target even after multiple slow-motion replays.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.