[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (2.37 MB, 1448x696)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB PNG
What do you guys typically play on?

Your dining table?
One of those crazy expensive board game tables?
Something you custom built?
A rented space?

I recently moved and have a large space I can dedicate to gaming now and I'm curious how you guys have things set up
>>
>>93399580
No amount of gimmicks will ever beat a large, sturdy table with some available smaller cheap folding tables for use as needed.
>>
>>93399580
When I was 15 I asked for two folding tables for my birthday and they have served me for well over a decade.
>>
>>93399607
FPBP.
"Gamer" furniture is an expensive scam that rarely improves or aids gameplay without introducing additional problems.
>>
>>93399619
This. All those gay recessed gaming tables either diminish the leg room under the the table or needlessly raise the height over which players must reach and try to view the game area. For me, it’s a poker table topper with foam perimeter to rest your elbows, cup holders, and naturally a felt surface
>>
about 6'x8' plywood(?) board pilfered from nearby constuction site on six IKEA ADILS legs
>>
>>93399607
>>93399619
>>93399639
Thinking about it, I think someone can pull that out without paying a small fortune by going full DIY and getting the materials yourself. Problem is, either you find a trustworthy carpenter, or learn the craft yourself.
>>
>>93399878
Materials wise it shouldn't be expensive. You're definitely paying for craftsmanship and the niche hobby tax
>>
File: 1543295272605.png (1.79 MB, 1060x789)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB PNG
>>93399580
Trash for the same kind of people as pic related.
>>
>>93399580
2 6x3 foldaway bunnings tables.
>>
>>93399580
Depends on who's hosting.
If it's me/my wife then it'll usually be the dining room table, sometimes the study if we've only got a couple of people over for board games or whatever and don't need that much space.
If the other foreverGM is hosting then it'll be the dedicated gaming table he's got set up in his basement. It's still just a normal extendable dining table though - even the guy who spent $$$ renovating a space specifically for gaming (including mounting a projector on the ceiling to project battle maps onto the table) didn't fall for something like OP's gimmicky pic.

>>93399639
>All those gay recessed gaming tables either diminish the leg room under the the table or needlessly raise the height over which players must reach and try to view the game area.
This. They look so awkward.
>>
>>93399972
This
>>
>>93399607
Two things are worthwhile: a table covering that suits your needs (at least a tablecloth clipped down nicely), and cup holders below the level of the tabletop to avoid spills. That's it. Even those two are optional.
>>
File: image-asset.jpg (58 KB, 999x749)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
My work was throwing out a bumper pool table no one else wanted so I got it. I never play bumper pool but it works well as a gaming table with some high chairs and taking off the bumpers
>>
File: 1721656178665.jpg (5.27 MB, 4000x2250)
5.27 MB
5.27 MB JPG
>>93399580
Funny time for this thread to pop up. I'm about to take my friend's gaming table he built himself off his hands tomorrow (pic related). Honestly I agree with what some of the anons here are saying about simpler being better as I sometimes find the lip annoying, but other than that I have always enjoyed playing on it. Notably it's very large (about 6 ft x 4 ft), and easily accommodates large games and around six players.
>>
>>93402554
I was thinking about getting a 7'x4' so I can accommodate wargames. Do you think it's too wide for regular sized board games?
>>
File: 1721656949019.jpg (4.53 MB, 4000x2250)
4.53 MB
4.53 MB JPG
>>93402598
Not at all. He primarily used it for regular sized board games, although to be frank most hobbyist games are taking up more and more room so it took a moment to find a picture of a smaller one. If the font is small enough you may have to lean in sometimes, but most games have also done away with words in lieu of symbols as well so that wasn't often an issue.
>>
>>93402672
Thanks for the info man, this is super helpful
>>
File: 1721657994357.jpg (4.83 MB, 4000x2250)
4.83 MB
4.83 MB JPG
>>93402682
You're welcome, anon. I hope the table you're considering suits you. Here's another picture of a game that doesn't take up a ton of space for the board itself, but you can see us make use of all the extra space for our cards and stuff. The table actually has personal little trays you can pull out for each player but we rarely need to use them.
>>
>>93399580
>I recently moved and have a large space I can dedicate to gaming now
I moved 5 years ago and have a large space I can dedicate to gaming now and never used it. No one plays at residences anymore.
>>
>>93402921
So where do you play?
>>
File: 1721659190349.jpg (5.51 MB, 4000x2250)
5.51 MB
5.51 MB JPG
>>93402921
>No one plays at residences anymore
Speak for yourself, anon. I'm the same guy that posted the table pictures, and here we are at a different friends house with a mostly different group of people. On the contrary, we never play at board game cafes or other public venues.
>>
>>93402921
>No one plays at residences anymore.
Is this because you have no one to invite over to play games?
>>
>>93399580
A folding table. As in - it's a dining table that had an option to go from "four people comfortably seated" to "eight people comfortably seated".
If you are buying special, "gaming" furniture, you are being fleeced
>>
Table seats seven+DM, painted the center with blackboard paint. Still going to do the outside border in lilac.
I host the weekly 4-person session, gonna be DM'ing homebrew campaign shit for a group of six soon.
>>
>>93399580
I have a large 6x4 dining table in my garage I play on. Gaming furniture is honestly a fucking scam, the recessing is usually too deep to make them viable.

I’ve been looking into making my own as the dining table is really old now and weighs a ton. It’s done good service but ideally I’d like something more manoeuvrable so we can do large sessions in my buddies garage. Carpentry for tables isn’t that hard if you keep it simple.
>>
>>93405086
Very nice, did you custom build the table or just paint it?
>>
>>93401210
A bunch of them use really cheap materials to keep costs down, I saw one kickstarter for these that used fusion boards and walnut veneer which is pretty much ikea tier cheap. There’s Geeknson but their tables are pushing 3 grand because they use oak and are well fairly well built. Of course you can do it yourself for significantly cheaper.
>>
>>93399878
If you're just nailing a bunch of boards together, then basic materials and tools and minimal know-how will get you a flat surface with legs to use as a table. If you want to do something a little fancier that looks nice and will hold up for years, even basic woodworking is going to need large and expensive power tools and a certain level of familiarity with the quirks and pitfalls of working with certain materials and techniques.
>>
>>93405204
Got it second-hand. It was a motherfucker to move, but it's super solid.
>>
>>93399580
My group plays at a like 4x3 glass-top dining room table with a couple if those TV dinner trays in the side or camping tables. It's a shame because we've played so much fucking DnD and boardgames over the years and never upgraded. Space is limited, though.

Friend of mine I play another group with has one if the gaming tables from a place that was going out of business after their Kickstarter venture liquidated, kek. You'd imagine it's shit, and it has some fit and finish issues, but the recessed table and felt is legitimately an upgrade and not too severe. But that is like a 6x4 and seats like eight. We have to stretch to get 5 at my table, and I use the TV to show maps and shit because we've got no fucking space for a mat.

I do like them a lot, but they aren't created equal and sure as shit way, way, WAY fucking overpriced. I can even do carpentry but I don't have the fucking time or many of the tools for it at the moment. Total catch 22 and I'm surprised so many companies popped up with them now without a clear decent budget option.

>>93399639
Where did you get a topper? There's a store with them on Amazon that has bad negative reviews, and otherwise it seems boutique to order. I could use extra space and a premium top, that'd be am upgrade. Worried about the glass top though, but maybe we could just swap it out for plywood when we play since it lifts off.
>>
>>93402598
>>93402682
>Do you think it's too wide for regular sized board games?
In contrast to what the other anon has said, my dining table is 7'x4' and I absolutely find it inconveniently large sometimes.
If you can find a nice, extendable table then that's what I'd go with.

>>93402921
Nah bro
>>
>>93405086
Simple and sturdy as fuck. Nicely done.
>>
>>93399580
I made a recessed one because I pretty much have room for 1 big table in my house so I use it for everything. If you have lots of space I'd just buy a cheap thrift store table, clamp a sheet of plywood(with a nice a/b side) to it and after a month or so you should have a good idea what size table you want and then cut it down.
>>
>>93402943
Ohio
>>93402985
>we never play at board game cafes or other public venues
It's an opposite culture here, and where I'm from is similar to yours. Everyone here insists on playing at game stores. Had an impending game go bust when the players put together that we weren't playing at a game store, even though I said that in the beginning.
>>
>>93403228
No, I've met people. They just don't like going to houses here. Usually the excuse is the price of gas, though I'm centrally located and they go to different game stores all over the suburbs.
>>93405886
>Nah bro
Yeah bro
>>
>>93412215
Huh, here in my area of the US everyone just plays at each other's houses except with some war games because the store provides a lot of terrain to borrow
>>
>>93412248
That's what it was like where I originally came from. It's been a culture shock moving here. Based on the timing of when I moved, I first assumed the reluctance to go to play at residences was because of Covid. After talking to a few others who've also tried to get games going at their houses, I've learned the issue goes back a ways.
People here either play in game stores, online, or they give up.
>>
>>93412309
>talking to a few others who've also tried to get games going at their houses
To clarify why I don't play with these guys, these few guys either do live too far or we prefer different games.
>>
>>93412194
>>93412215
>Yeah bro
Strange. I'm in New Hampshire and here playing at people's houses is standard.
And to give an international perspective, last year I was living in Aus and the game I got invited to over there was at someone's house too.
>>
>>93412594
East euro, playing in people's home is less common, houses are smaller here or you just have an appartment, normally we play in a pub (or tea house/shisha den). We did play at one guy's house in covid, because pubs were closed, but that was exceptional situation.
>>
>>93399972
>badwrongfun.jpg
>>
>>93399619
I mean they are overly expensive boutique luxury items, but a large table with a slight recess and a felt lining is a nice surface to play games on
>>
I stole 5 folding tables from a city hosted event several years ago.
>>
>>93399580
I'd love one of these
https://youtu.be/2gmWw6PUUac?t=60
>>
>>93416231
If you'd take one I'd call you a sneaky scum, but five means their security fundamentally sucked.
>>
>>93399580
What bothers me most is the clear lack of understanding of gamer's needs. Look at OP's. A hexagon. The sides look fine for one person each. I'd be hesitant to put a group of seven or eight around that.
Yes, they also have long rectangles for more seats. But how are the people on either end supposed to interact with the middle of the board much less each other?
Surely I can't be the only one who's got a lot of friends who are gamers. Surely there must exist a market for well thought out tables for eight people. 8-seater round gaming table when?
>>
>>93421411
Feels like you should just use a poker table at that point
>>
>>93421587
Probably. And that's dumb!
When the whole reason your company exists is to make "gaming table made for /tg/" you should really offer something to me that I can not already buy (probably cheaper/second hand/from lots of different manufacturers).

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.