[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (1.65 MB, 1280x1280)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB PNG
You guys gonna play it?
>>
no
>>
No, I have no interest in the video game it's based on but more importantly the excerpts I've seen suggest that the people making this have never looked at any other TTRPG before.
>>
>>93405239
Whole thing is just an overly elaborate board game about running dungeons over and over with no connective tissue.
>>
>>93405239
We already got a thread for it.
>>93358302
>>
>>93405239
Probably. I got a bit burned by the starter set so I might wait for wave 2 this time but the extra stuff being promised looks promising.
>>
>>93405239
I'll read the books for it when PDFs hit the share thread or JTTRPG threads but probably will never end up playing it.
>>
File: 1712377339405982.jpg (793 KB, 1200x1697)
793 KB
793 KB JPG
>>93405239
Yes, but I will be homebrewing a ton of shit for it to make it more like an actual RPG.
The combat seems cool, but the game as a whole appears to be made as streamlined as possible outside of the combat itself, which is why I will be adding in a ton of shit from other games to flesh it out.
I didn't get the starter set, but I am (im)patiently awaiting the core books.
>>
>>93405239
I stopped the series after 7.
>>
I will buy it because I have always dreamed of an official FF rpg. I am not sure if I will actually play it though. The starter set seemed pretty crunchy on top of having to use cut out templates for blast zones etc. Not sure if it would be worth getting a group of people to learn the rules. If it ends up unfun I have wasted everyones time and they wont trust me with new games anymore.
>>
>>93409951
you can tell if it's fun just by doing a dry run solo, or using some imagination
I'm curious about it because it sounds like the potential for a dungeon run,.open table type game is there but who knows
>>
>>93405239
I don't like their GMing advice in the free GM Handbook, I think the mechanics of the starter set are an interesting composite of D&D and Swordworld. I want to see the actual game with player rules to make characters instead of just the starter set.

My feelings at this point are mixed and complicated.
>>
Yes. Bought starter and love it
>>
>$60 for three sessions worth of content
>9 months for the base rules, who knows how long for the GM book with monster stats
>4 and a half levels, no equipment
This has to be one of the worst game launches in recent memory.
>>
>>93418795
Oh I forgot
>game for minis
>no minis
>>
>>93418795
They legit said there's going to be equipment and augmentation, it looks like you talk without knowing shit.
People obsessed with the quantity of levels over the quantity sure is stupid. There's more going on between each level here than in most RPG where leveling up often does not introduce anything worth mentioning.
The only fair point you made is about price and releases.
>>
>>93420848
NTA but from what I know it duplicates that Level Sync aspect of 14 which in my eyes makes leveling entirely superfluous because there is no point to character progression.
>>
>>93405239
eeeeh I'm on the fence since if I wanted to play the same dungeon/raid over and over I'd... just play the actual game, especially with how DT actually has fun raids and EXes that don't put me to sleep. I'll probably end up picking up a copy in the future if only to take parts to use in other systems. I'm pretty comfortable running a FFXIV flavoured Ironsworn game for now.
>>
>>93420897
Level sync does not need to be used at all, as shown from the starter adventures where levels increased as the plot evolved.
>>
>>93405239
What are the general rules set for this?
>>
>>93420848
>equipment and augmentation
cool you can use a potion and...not much else because character sheets are still preprinted in the deluxe set meaning every Dragoon is the same

>quantity of levels
if there's zero character customization then yea there should be a lot of content otherwise I've seen everything there is to see very quickly

>>93420938
that's literally the definition of level sync retard
>>
>>93425946
>cool you can use a potion and...not much else because character sheets are still preprinted in the deluxe set meaning every Dragoon is the same
Source: your ass?
>if there's zero character customization then yea there should be a lot of content otherwise I've seen everything there is to see very quickly
Who gives a shit? You are following online guides whenever you are given a choice. There are more skills at level 50 than in many other games.
>that's literally the definition of level sync retard
Except it's not, brainlet. level sync means that you can do a level 50 quest and then a level 30, while the adventures have a linear progression.
>>
Why in the sweet name of fuck would I want to emulate the stale as fuck gameplay of XIV in a slower format?
The world was the interesting bit before EW got rid of everything unique and previously central to its plot, and DT shifted the worldbuilding tone bar away from groggy-and-nerdy-guy-knows-about-stuff towards Tumblr-user-does-wikipedia-research-for-a-slashfic.
Give me Encyclopedia Eorzea, but focused more on life in the world rather than mob A or B. Then put rules in it designed to evoke the specific feel of the SETTING, not the mechanics of the game.
>>
>>93405301
Oh fucking please, get D&Drones to stick to their containment thread first before you try to make us give a fuck about this grab bag generic general.
>>
File: ggrrrrrrrr.png (231 KB, 521x675)
231 KB
231 KB PNG
>>93405239
You there.... and everyone.
I find it extremely sad
in a game-universe like FF
where bonus item collection and weapon swapping is always a part of the game
that
the "Your Dudes"
tabletop version of the game,
has
ZERO
fucking
items....
>>
>>93405239
Dawntrail was so shit that I have lost all interest in anything XIV-related for the moment.
>>
>>93438311
>FF14 the game
>Make your own character
>pick your race
>pick your class
>pick all the classes if you want!
>pick your crafting profession!
>form a guild!
>make your own unique house where you can typefuc-- I mean, engage in deep roleplay with the help of an expansive collection of emotes and fashionable clothing!
>explore these many exotic, picturesque areas and see many cool monsters and bad guys!
>interact with many memorable NPCs across a storyline that spans hundreds of hours with exciting unique battles and cutscenes and great music!

>FF14 the board game
>pick from this small collection of premade 1-dimensional archetypal characters.
>they don't level up
>you cannot customize them
>you will run a handful of dungeons over and over
>look, we have one of those weird dice you nerds like so much, so that makes it an RPG
>please give us your credit card now so you can preorder the next pile of stale slop we are releasing for this shallow, undercooked pile of slop.
>>
File: Lala S Thompson.png (3.25 MB, 1920x1080)
3.25 MB
3.25 MB PNG
>>93438768
You have a different argument.
however,
You and I are on the same exact fucking page.

>>93438621
yeah.
pictomancers.... or whatever they are called.
>>
>>93434353
it counts as a JTRPG.
Japan make and all.
>>
>>93405239
The starter set is very basic even by the standards of starter sets.
As >>93407075 said, I'll be running it but piling on a bunch of extras for now. Whether I get the core books will depend on how much detail they actually add as currently it does feel more like a board game and some of the GMing advice is flat out incorrect.

The level synch is literally back to front though. Levelling belongs in tabletop rpgs and single player video games. Otherwise every single online game you try and play always ends with the phrase "I played a bit while you were at work and now I'm level 15,000,000 but it's cool because you can still play and it'll be fine because I'll have fun and you get to be cannon fodder." Like, they literally kept the levelling in the online game where it makes no sense (A single level 90 Gatlean soldier could conquer all of Eorzea, they just choose only to send level 50 guys.) but ditched it in the tabletop where the GM can moderate and have it make sense.

I slag off league of legends but at least it knew to delete the fucking levels at the end of a session.
>>
>>93405279
Sounds like the vidya. So its accurate at least.
Are there rules for awkwardly ERPing?
>>
>>93440366
>anon has only played dnd clones
Leveling does not belong to all rpgs
>>
>>93440290
No, don't you see how the Japanese call Tabletop Role-play Game as TRPG instead of two T in TTRPG? Western makes this game.
>>
>>93440749
Didn't say it did, but it sure as fuck fits better there than in online multiplayer.
>>
>>93405239
>no fat Y'shtola boobers front and center
DoA
>>
>>93440749
It belongs in Final Fantasy games.
>>
>>93405239
>4e but all the hyperbole about it being a pnp mmo is literally true
no thanks
>>
>>93440749
hey
>>93443513
this.
it's part of what makes Final Fantasy Final Fantasy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.