[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: p02przdy.jpg (95 KB, 976x549)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
I'm creating a game and i'm trying to crunch the numbers at the moment. I need to work out how to work out the probability of rolling above or bellow certain results on 3d6 without any doubles. Is there a good resource for these sort of things or do i just have to learn how to do maths?
>>
>Is there a good resource for these sort of things
Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang
>>
https://anydice.com/
>>
>>93407739
came here to post this. Once you study its markup a bit and learn how to use it, anydice is THE golden tool for dice odds and has been for a long time.
>>
>>93407640
anydice.com
>>
>>93407640
I might have figured it out
Lets say you want 6. Theres only one way to make 6 on three dice without doubles (1+2+3) and since its a sequence of three different numbers it can be arranged 6 different ways (123,132,213,231,312,321) or more simply, 3x2x1. The probability then is that divided by all possible outcomes 6/(6×6×6), for a total of 0.027%.

For 8 we have 1+2+5 and 1+3+4. That means we have 3×2×1 + 3×2×1, or 12 possible combinations out of 216, or 0.055%.

To get the probability of any number or more/less, i would create a list of all the combinations without doubles and add them together.

Actually i'd use anydice but failing that this should work
>>
>>93407640
Learn how to use spreadsheet software. I'm not trying to be facetious, it really is the way. Especially in easy cases such as this one.
>>
>>93407640
If you have to ask, you should use a simpler dice system
>>
>>93409624
Learning is never wrong, anon, and you only learn by reaching the end of your current horizon.
>>
>>93408528
>0.027%
>0.055%
Please please please, learn the difference between "regular" decimal numbers/fractions and percentages.
>>
You can read the counts off the graph if you want to OP. Then you can do all the grouping and calculating of probabilities you want.

>>93410256
It'd be great if OP learnt the mathematics behind this but I think that other anon is right. OP needing someone to tell him how to work out the values tells us he doesn't know what the values are and therefore he can't know that he needs these values. He's come up with an idea and chances are now that he can see them this is not what he wanted, like the range for unique face values is reduced to 6 - 15 and doubles which it sounds like he wants to be special are more than 40% of the total frequency, if including triples then it's more than 44. When you're approaching half your values being "special" then "special" is no longer special.
>>
>>93410266
Lel. i did that within an hour of waking up, my brain wasnt on yet. If thats the only mistake i made its a miracle
>>
>>93410646
>I think
>chances are
You don't know though. You'd have to ask.
>>
>>93413117
Thank you for pointing out that the words I used to indicate that I have an opinion mean that I, in fact, have an opinion.
>You'd have to ask.
Meantime, more than a day after starting it OP is still silent and this thread continues to slide off the board.
>>
>>93407640
Why do you care about the doubles? What are you going for? Have you considered that it might be better to roll a 4th die, and see how many of your 3d6 match it, that way you aren't mangling the 3d6 distribution?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.