[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Van Helsing (2004).jpg (734 KB, 2500x4000)
734 KB
734 KB JPG
I rewatched this movie a few days ago and found myself weirdly focused on the idea of a Catholic-funded organization dedicated to researching, tracking, and exterminating paranormal threats to humanity. I would love to run a game about a late-19th Century Delta Green. I figure it'd be set up to function as something somewhere between a knightly and monastic order, but I'm struggling with what that would look like and how such a thing would be organized, hierarchically and at the local level. Do you guys have any ideas?
>>
File: GRj8VhlasAApmIY.jpg (534 KB, 726x1026)
534 KB
534 KB JPG
>>93408802
The Iscariot Organization
>>
>>93409017
Why bayonets though?
>>
>>93409192
Because Hirano is fat nerd obsessed with guns, so even blade weapons have to be gun-adjacent.
>>
>>93408802
WoD kinda has this in the Society of Leopold, though they're a lot more retarded and it's WoD so the combat sucks.
>>
>>93409192
Bayonets are some of the few mass-produced bladed weapons aside from knives, thanks to them being part of industrialized warfare. They were produced in production runs of ten of thousands, so if you want a lot of cheap, decent-quality weapons, bayonets are not a bad choice.

And Father Anderson goes through about a thousand in every fight.
>>
>>93408802
>I would love to run a game about a late-19th Century Delta Green. I figure it'd be set up to function as something somewhere between a knightly and monastic order, but I'm struggling with what that would look like and how such a thing would be organized, hierarchically and at the local level.
It's such banal non-problem, even a "wing it all" is a solid answer.
It doesn't even fucking matter for the game you will be running (implying you will be running anything at all)
>>
>>93411489
Not OP, but probably equally autistic, because I like hierarchies and understanding how organizations function.
>>
>>93408802
>I figure it'd be set up to function as something somewhere between a knightly and monastic order, but I'm struggling with what that would look like and how such a thing would be organized, hierarchically and at the local level. Do you guys have any ideas?
Just a religious knightly order, probably, answering directly to in-the-loop clergy who report up the chain to the Pope. Big focus on research/intelligence with a small, surgical pointy end recruited, I imagine, from inside the Church herself. Preferably as young as possible so that you own their loyalty thoroughly.

Considering that the Church denies the devil has any powers of his own, an organization bent on eliminating supernatural threats probably wants to keep it on the down low. Kill enough and, God willing, the official line will also be true. I imagine you'd have chapter houses in major European nations, with some having had to go to ground or leave following Catholic persecution. So France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Poland, and maybe one hidden in Ireland to watch over Britain when possible?
>>
>>93408802
easy, just ask how old you think it should be, where and how it originated and the rest should flow from that. just look at your examples, they all derive their structure from their historical context. or just use the templars' organization they're already what you're looking for and well documented
>>
Jesuits but with guns and homemade bombs.
>>
>>93411681
Let's go with the classic, then
>>
>>93411707
This is great stuff, thank you! I appreciate it.
>>93411729
This is also good! Thanks so much.
>>
>a second noah-level event approaches
>PCs have to kill god
>>
I could see a structure like this
>Acolytes
Monks that research the supernatural through texts and legends
>Redeemers
For cases when the monsters can still be saved. Includes exorcists
>Knights
The actual hunters. Plate armor optional, trench coat mandatory
>Syncretics
Heeding to pagan superstition might just save your life. More of a branch for the other creeds
>>
File: IMG_4805.jpg (42 KB, 679x375)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>93412129
>Plate armor optional, trench coat mandatory
>>
>>93411707
The Templars has Knights (nobles), Sergeants (non-nobles), and Chaplains (ordained priests). Can we do something with this? Like, Knights are higher-ranking members who lead a squad of Sergeants, assisted by a Chaplain? Or would knights be more elite troops, similar to special forces, with sergeants doing most of the heavy lifting?

https://www.theknightstemplar1119.org/post/the-three-ranks-within-the-knights-templar
>>
>>93408802
Don't the Knights Hospitalier still form the official government of Malta?

Anyway expand your questions. What do you mean 'look like' you mean uniforms? Probably similar to most secular organizations but with some extra flourishes and crosses. Organized? Do you mean who would lead, what subdivisions would there be, what?
>>
>>93414994
I would keep it simple as a ranking system:
>0th degree: children are initiated into the Order at 7 years old, where they begin their education and martial training as a page.
>1st degree: at 14 years old, pages demonstrating the required mental and martial achivement can become squires, continuing their training under the tutelage of a Knight or Chaplain.
>2nd degree: at 21 years old, and after proving themselves worthy, a squire can be granted the title of sergeant and become a fully-fledged member of the Order.
>3rd degree: after serving as a sergeant until age 28, members of the Order can be considered for elevation to either knighthood or chaplaincy depending upon their particular skillsets. Knights lead teams of sergeants into battle against dark forces, whereas chaplains administer to the Order's spiritual needs.

Page -> Squire -> Sergeant -> Knight=Chaplain.

Those would be the basic ranks. You could look to additional knightly or Masonic rankings for further roles. Maybe the leader of one of your groups could be called the Warden?
>>
>>93415845
Why start at zero?
>>
I like the idea of having the players as member of a monster hunting organization, but I always struggle actually implement it because it just feels like I'll be giving orders to the players and I prefer when the players choose their own things to do.
>>
>>93408802
I got you, man.

>>93416578
Freemasonry has three ranks, and I thought it made sense.

>>93416784
You could pull a Fable and have their Lodge destroyed, cutting the players off from a local support network.
>>
>>93417031
>You could pull a Fable and have their Lodge destroyed, cutting the players off from a local support network.
Oh, that's actually perfect! I don't know how I never thought about that. Have them start under orders, then cut them off, giving them the freedom I'm more used to.
>>
>>93417130
Happy to help, anon! Good hunting!
>>
>>93416784
just have their standing orders be broad, and give them the freedom to look for their own leads and all that. being part of an organization doesn't mean they're inherently just grunts that get pointed in a direction and told to kill.
>>
>>93418896
This works, too. No reason the organization has to be particularly militant in structure. It could function more as a hunting lodge, where members are largely more autonomous.
>>
>>93408802
Vampire: the Masquerade and its Dark Ages spinoff line have books ("The Inquisition," and "Dark Ages: Inquisitor") that detail a secret society of monster hunters funded by the Catholic Church, wielding a mix of technology (mostly in the modern day), tactics, and faith as their weapons. Also actual weapons, though those tend to be less impressive against the supernatural.
If nothing else, you can use bits of the organization as inspiration for your own project.
>>
>>93420991
Do you have any pdf links? I'd love to read through that.
>>
>>93408802
Players get their quests from a knight or a monk.
>>
>>93422322
Look for the World of Darkness general. There's some MEGA links on the OP
>>
>>93422500
Thanks kindly!
>>
>>93415845
>>93416578
>>93417031
Youngling, Padawan, Jedi, Master.
>>
>>93422500
>>93423460
I've downloaded the four books that have the word "Inquisition" in the title and am reading through them. Thanks kindly! I'm also researching the Society of Leopold online.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.