[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

So are there any D&D-adjacent games, or medieval fantasy in general, where martials aren't a complete bore to play as? I'd rather avoid too much crunch (no, having 900 options to add +1 to your "I attack" action does not make the game interesting), but also not too little to the point it's just a storygame. What are my options?
>>
>>93422576
kitty
>>
>>93422576
Rolemaster, Hackmaster, Mythras
>>
>>93422576
>D&D-adjacent
>not too much or too little crunch
Shadow of the Demon Lord/Weird Wizard is what you're looking for, Weird Wizard I think has the more interesting baseline system for martials letting you use bonus damage dice as a resource for combat maneuvers but Demon Lord's martials are fine as well and will have way more options to build from with all its supplements.
>>
>>93422576
Can you give an example of what you think is an interesting martial?
Some people enjoy DCC's mighty deeds, some people prefer D&D 5e's battle master, other's rather have something like the book of weeabo fightan magic (Tome of Battle), other's enjoy PF2e's more simplistic approach, etc etc.
>>
>>93422576
Pathfinder with Path of war or >>93422576
3.5e with Tome of Battle
>>
>>93422576
>DnD-adjacent
No. The answer is no. Play something better.
>>
>>93422576
>D&D adjacent
4e
Honor + Intrigue w/ Tome of Intriguing Options for fantaslop races and more conventional magic.
>>
ICON has fun combat. I can't endorse the system at large because the narrative side is literally just Blades in the Dark complete with d6 pools based on "dots", vices, success rates, etc. but the combat uses clear job identities like D&D 4e but gives each class a deep well of interesting things to do, emphasizes the role of height, etc.

In a typical ICON combat if you are playing as a red (the ""tank"" sort of character) you generally get multiple off-turn actions to protect allies/respond to foes, juggle stances, get rewarded for throwing enemies into walls, get to leap around the map or hurl boulders, get extra powers by taking damage, etc. Often these turns are MUCH more interesting than the glass-cannon spellcasters who just sit in the back and throw their 2-action pyroblast or whatever with no offturn actions.
>>
>>93423172
never heard of this system before. i m intrigued. is it in the trove?
>>
>>93423172
This actually seems interesting, I wasn't aware of thing game. I've heard good things about Lancer, but never been into mechs. I'll take a look, maybe I can scrub some of the most grating aspects of the blades in the dark-esque mechanics.
>>
>>93423304
I found a playtest from last year, but I'm not sure it's even released yet
>>
>>93422576
Nice cat.
>>
GURPS.
>>
>>93423304
>>93423612
It's freely available as the whole system is in development, 1.5 is the latest with 1.6 expected maybe later this year.
>>
>>93423172
I've learnt not to invest any time into anything developed by "Abbadon", he doesn't finish anything, doesn't incorporate any feedback from playtesting and generally has a poor understanding of the system he's copping. What a waste of talent.
>>
>>93422576
AD&D 1E
>>
>>93424107
I'd say Lancer came out OK if you stick to the base book. Holy fuck the power creep in the supplement books though... worse than DnD in terms of new stuff completely invalidating the old stuff.
>>
>>93422576
>martials
Didn't read the rest take your kike terms back to the synagogue
>>
>>93424121
Explain?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.