[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

does your setting have an eastern half of an empire that collapsed?

well or under a new managment
>>
Yeah, I made a setting using "Medieval Demographics Made Easy" (https://gamingballistic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Medieval-Demographics-Made-Easy-1.pdf) as a side project when I was in college. The players started in a small starting kingdom (roughly the size of France) and there was a similarly sized rival kingdom to the south, and far to the east was the remnant of the Empire all the kingdoms were once a part of.

It was fun for a while, but it ended because
A.) DnD 5e, despite my best efforts, is not good for a hexcrawl sandbox game. Should have listened to /osrg/ on that one
B.) Realistically sized kingdoms are fucking huge compared to the usual ttrpg "kingdom". I quickly realized that having nearly 60 castles, plus additional cities, towns and monasteries was going to get samey after they visited a few. Plus the players would have to travel for a considerable amount of time to find a biome that wasn't
>hills
>grasslands
>forests
>lakes
C.) I was running a non 5e game at the time and it was much more fun, fuck 5e.

It's still my most fleshed out setting, and I may reuse it for a book at some point, but doing that much work for a ttrpg game is a waste of fucking time. Because most players will not read their cultural primers and those that will, will hardly memorize them and act within the parameters provided.
>>
>>93442313
That's a ~25%
>>
no
>>
>>93442313
My fantasy setting literally has no empires. The closest to a central authority is a group of knights and a mage school.
>>
>>93442313
No. The Byzantine analog is in the south of its continent.
>>
>>93442401
This is incredibly awesome anon. I'm always fiddling with demogrphics and societies in the background of my campaigns, even if the players don't care. Right now I'm making fantasy Europe to make a fantasy thirty years war because they didn't want to simply play a historical game...
Do you any material, maybe your primer, to share please?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.